Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

QFTCI5EP Game 9, Rounds 2-3: alcohol and rodents

17 visningar

Mark Brader

oläst,
30 juli 2017 23:42:482017-07-30
till
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol

1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
title of a James Bond film. What is it?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
in *which country* where gin was first produced?

6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
What's the *number* of that amendment?

7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
-- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
after her. Who?

9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
especially in Paris, France. Name it.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Rodents

Rodents are defined as animals that gnaw with two continuously
growing front teeth. About 40% of the world's mammals are rodents.
In this round, we'll give you the common name of the rodent, and
you give us its photo number on the 2-page handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G9R3/rodents.pdf

1. Muskrat.
2. Kangaroo rat.
3. Capybara.
4. Mara.
5. Marmot.
6. Shrew.
7. Paca.
8. Agouti.
9. Vole.
10. Gerbil.

And there were 8 decoys. If you like, after you're finished
with the above questions, decode the rot13 and identify *these*
rodents for fun, but for no points.

11. Cenvevr qbt (be tbcure).
12. Puvapuvyyn.
13. Thvarn cvt.
14. Ornire.
15. Flevna unzfgre.
16. Pbzzba eng.
17. Fcevat uner.
18. Svryq zbhfr.

--
Mark Brader | "Don't you ever want to change your life?"
Toronto | "You talk about life as if it was something you buy
| it didn't suit me.'" -- Butterflies

Joshua Kreitzer

oläst,
31 juli 2017 01:41:182017-07-31
till
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pJSdnT4XL5CvOuPEnZ2dnUU7-
IPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

moonraker

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

Spain

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

18th

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Jimmy Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Carry Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

mezcal

> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

absinthe

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Rodents
>
> Rodents are defined as animals that gnaw with two continuously
> growing front teeth. About 40% of the world's mammals are rodents.
> In this round, we'll give you the common name of the rodent, and
> you give us its photo number on the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G9R3/rodents.pdf
>
> 1. Muskrat.

1; 6

> 2. Kangaroo rat.

11

> 3. Capybara.

16

> 4. Mara.

3; 8

> 5. Marmot.

7; 12

> 6. Shrew.

14; 4

> 7. Paca.

15; 6

> 8. Agouti.

3; 16

> 9. Vole.

17; 10

> 10. Gerbil.

16; 3

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

oläst,
31 juli 2017 05:12:112017-07-31
till
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?
Goldeneye
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Another connection between the moon and
> alcohol: the word honeymoon originates from the custom of
> drinking *what alcoholic drink* for a month following a wedding?
Mead
> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?
Hops
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. In 1516 the German Beer Purity Law,
> or Rheinheitsgebot, came into effect, making it illegal to make
> beer with anything but hops, pure water, and *which grain*?
Barley
> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?
India
> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the number of that amendment?
16th, 17th
> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?
Carter
> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?
>
> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?
>
> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

oläst,
31 juli 2017 05:36:122017-07-31
till
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

Moonraker

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

India

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

18th

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Jimmy Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Carrie Nation

1

4

> 3. Capybara.

12

9

> 5. Marmot.

16

> 6. Shrew.

13

8

> 8. Agouti.

11

> 9. Vole.

15

3

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

oläst,
31 juli 2017 09:36:322017-07-31
till
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 22:42:42 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night when
> the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the title of a
> James Bond film. What is it?

Moonraker

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq nypbuby:
> gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs qevaxvat *jung
> nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

Mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would spoil
> the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

Hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr orre
> jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

Barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced cheaply and
> the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its introduction by
> British soldiers who had been fighting abroad in *which country*
> where gin was first produced?

The Netherlands

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect. What's
> the *number* of that amendment?
>
> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?
>
> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet --
> taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew after her.
> Who?

Cary Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles of
> *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

Mescal

> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

Absinthe

6

4

> 3. Capybara.

10

> 4. Mara.
> 5. Marmot.

18

> 6. Shrew.

2,13

> 7. Paca.

12

> 8. Agouti.
> 9. Vole.

13,2

3

1

> 12. Chinchilla.

11

> 13. Guinea pig.

16

7

3

> 16. Common rat.

15

> 17. Spring hare.

14

> 18. Field mouse.

5

Dan Blum

oläst,
31 juli 2017 09:49:262017-07-31
till
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol

> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

moonraker

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

hops; malt

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

wheat

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

France; Netherlands

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

18

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Jimmy Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Carrie Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

mezcal

> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

absinthe

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Rodents

> 1. Muskrat.

6; 15

4

> 3. Capybara.

10

> 4. Mara.

11; 18

> 5. Marmot.

12

9

> 7. Paca.

1; 8

> 8. Agouti.

14; 13

> 9. Vole.

16; 8

> 10. Gerbil.

3; 17

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

oläst,
31 juli 2017 09:50:552017-07-31
till
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

Unfortunately, like most such pat etymologies, this is almost
certainly false.

Calvin

oläst,
31 juli 2017 18:44:582017-07-31
till
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 1:42:48 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

Goldeneye, Spectre

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

Mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

Hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

Barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

Spain, France

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

18th, 19th

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

Agave

> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

Absinthe

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Rodents
>
> Rodents are defined as animals that gnaw with two continuously
> growing front teeth. About 40% of the world's mammals are rodents.
> In this round, we'll give you the common name of the rodent, and
> you give us its photo number on the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G9R3/rodents.pdf
>
> 1. Muskrat.

5, 6

4

> 3. Capybara.

10

> 4. Mara.

5, 6

> 5. Marmot.

12

> 6. Shrew.

2, 3

> 7. Paca.

5, 6

> 8. Agouti.

5, 6

9

> 10. Gerbil.

2, 3

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

oläst,
31 juli 2017 22:31:142017-07-31
till
On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 11:42:48 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?
Moonraker
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?
Mead?

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?
>
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?
>
> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?
>
> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?
>
> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?
Jimmy Carter
> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?
Carrie Nation

Pete Gayde

oläst,
31 juli 2017 23:18:052017-07-31
till
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pJSdnT4XL5CvOuPEnZ2dnUU7-
IPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

Goldfinger

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?

Mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

Hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?

Barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

Scotland

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

19th

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Carrie Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

Wild Turkey

6

4

> 3. Capybara.

10

> 4. Mara.

14; 9

> 5. Marmot.

1; 18

2

> 7. Paca.

8; 12

> 8. Agouti.

16

> 9. Vole.

17; 9

5

1

9

> 13. Thvarn cvt.

16

7

> 15. Flevna unzfgre.
> 16. Pbzzba eng.

15

4

> 18. Svryq zbhfr.

13

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

oläst,
1 aug. 2017 02:29:072017-08-01
till
In article <pJSdnT4XL5CvOuPE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol
>
> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?
moonraker?

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Nabgure pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur zbba naq
> nypbuby: gur jbeq ubarlzbba bevtvangrf sebz gur phfgbz bs
> qevaxvat *jung nypbubyvp qevax* sbe n zbagu sbyybjvat n jrqqvat?
mead

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?
hops

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Va 1516 gur Trezna Orre Chevgl Ynj,
> be Eurvaurvgftrobg, pnzr vagb rssrpg, znxvat vg vyyrtny gb znxr
> orre jvgu nalguvat ohg ubcf, cher jngre, naq *juvpu tenva*?
barley

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?
Holland

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?
21

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?
Carter

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?
Carrie Nation

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?
mescal

6

> 2. Kangaroo rat.
13

> 3. Capybara.
10

> 4. Mara.
> 5. Marmot.
18

2

> 7. Paca.
> 8. Agouti.
12

9

> 10. Gerbil.
17

> And there were 8 decoys. If you like, after you're finished
> with the above questions, decode the rot13 and identify *these*
> rodents for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cenvevr qbt (be tbcure).
> 12. Puvapuvyyn.
> 13. Thvarn cvt.
> 14. Ornire.
> 15. Flevna unzfgre.
> 16. Pbzzba eng.
> 17. Fcevat uner.
> 18. Svryq zbhfr.

Mark Brader

oläst,
3 aug. 2017 02:47:482017-08-03
till
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 2 - History - Alcohol

In the original game, this round was the second-easiest after the
audio round; and it was the fifth-easiest of the entire season
excluding audio rounds.

> 1. This colloquial name for a person from Wiltshire, England,
> refers to a folk story set in the time when smuggling was a
> significant industry in rural England and smugglers in the area
> pretended to be tending their fields in the middle of the night
> when the authorities came calling. Hint: The term is also the
> title of a James Bond film. What is it?

Moonraker. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Jason,
and Marc.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Another connection between the moon and
> alcohol: the word honeymoon originates from the custom of
> drinking *what alcoholic drink* for a month following a wedding?

Mead. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum
(who, however, says that "this is almost certainly false"), Calvin,
Jason, Pete, and Marc.

> 3. A writer in the era of Henry VIII described *what recently
> added ingredient* for making beer as "a wicked weed that would
> spoil the taste of the drink and endanger the people"?

Hops. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Calvin, Pete, and Marc.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. In 1516 the German Beer Purity Law,
> or Rheinheitsgebot, came into effect, making it illegal to make
> beer with anything but hops, pure water, and *which grain*?

Barley. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Calvin, Pete,
and Marc.

> 5. Between 1650 and 1675, gin was developed by distilling grain
> with the juniper berry. This liquor could be produced
> cheaply and the gin industry grew rapidly in England after its
> introduction by British soldiers who had been fighting abroad
> in *which country* where gin was first produced?

Holland. (Accepting Netherlands or Low Countries.) 4 for Bruce
and Marc. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. On 1920-01-16, the amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting
> the manufacture, sale, transportation, import, and export of
> intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes came into effect.
> What's the *number* of that amendment?

18th. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum. 3 for Calvin.

> 7. *Which US president* signed the bill legalizing home brewing
> of beer for the first time since Prohibition, on 1978-10-14?

Jimmy Carter, duh. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Calvin, Jason, Pete, and Marc.

> 8. This woman, a radical member of the temperance movement in the
> United States, was notorious for attacking -- with a hatchet
> -- taverns and other establishments that served alcohol.
> Great Lakes Brewery in Ontario named its Bitter Wife brew
> after her. Who?

Carrie Nation. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin,
Jason, Pete, and Marc.

> 9. It's a myth that there's a worm in tequila. The so-called worms
> are actually butterfly caterpillars that are placed in bottles
> of *which spirit*, which is distilled from a different plant?

Mescal. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 10. This spirit, also known as "the Green Fairy", gained popularity
> among artists and writers of the late 19th and 20th centuries,
> especially in Paris, France. Name it.

Absinthe. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete,
and Marc.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Rodents

> Rodents are defined as animals that gnaw with two continuously
> growing front teeth. About 40% of the world's mammals are rodents.
> In this round, we'll give you the common name of the rodent, and
> you give us its photo number on the 2-page handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G9R3/rodents.pdf

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

#6. 4 for Bruce, Pete, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua
and Calvin.

#13. (No, not #4.) 4 for Marc.

#10. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, and Marc.

#14. 3 for Pete.

#18. 4 for Bruce and Marc. 2 for Pete.

#2. 4 for Pete and Marc. 3 for Bruce and Calvin.

#12. 4 for Bruce. 2 for Pete.

#8.

#9. 4 for Calvin and Marc. 2 for Pete.

#17. (No, not #3.) 4 for Marc. 2 for Dan Blum.

#1. Bruce and Pete got this.

#11. Bruce got this.

#16. Bruce and Pete got this.

#7. Bruce and Pete got this.

#3. Bruce got this.

#15. Bruce and Pete got this.

#4. Bruce got this.

#5. Bruce got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Sci
Marc Dashevsky 36 28 64
Bruce Bowler 32 19 51
Pete Gayde 24 21 45
Dan Blum 33 9 42
"Calvin" 27 13 40
Joshua Kreitzer 36 2 38
Dan Tilque 36 0 36
Peter Smyth 16 0 16
Jason Kreitzer 16 0 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Actor sent to jail for not finishing sentence
m...@vex.net | --Knoxville, TN, News-Sentinel, 1989-01-21