Calvin's Quiz #366

Calvin

Nov 26, 2014, 6:58:13 PM11/26/14

1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?
2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film Schindler's List was based?
3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?
4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?
7 In which year did Princess Diana die?
8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?
9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?
10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Nov 26, 2014, 7:37:54 PM11/26/14
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?
St Stephen
> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which
> the film Schindler's List was based?
>
> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940
> novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?
Crimean
> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
>
> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees
> held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
>
> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n
> Tuck (2001)?
>
> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?
1997
> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?
Alto
> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?
ER
> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?
Polyglot

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Nov 26, 2014, 7:40:31 PM11/26/14
"Calvin":
> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

Nicholas?

> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the
> film Schindler's List was based?

"Schindler's Ark".

> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel
> For Whom the Bell Tolls set?

Spanish Civil War.

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?

Garson.

> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held
> in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?
> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1997.

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

Alto.

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?

"Lost in Space".

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

Swiss. :-) Okay, polyglot.
--
Mark Brader "Nicely self-consistent. (Pay no attention to
Toronto that D-floating number behind the curtain!)"

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 27, 2014, 12:12:45 AM11/27/14
In article <d517babe-7b4a-4e28...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?
Patterson

> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film Schindler's List was based?
> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?
Spanish Civil War

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?
> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?
1998

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?
alto

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?
Lost In Space

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?
polyglot

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Nov 27, 2014, 2:00:03 AM11/27/14
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

St Stephen

> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film Schindler's List was based?
> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?

WWI

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?
> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1998

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

mezzo-soprano

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?

Lost in Space

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

polyglot

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 27, 2014, 3:23:59 AM11/27/14
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

Floyd Patterson. Eh, I mean Stephen

> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940
> novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?

Boer war

> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1996

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

Alto

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

Polyglot

Chris F.A. Johnson

Nov 27, 2014, 10:08:06 AM11/27/14
On 2014-11-26, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?
> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film Schindler's List was based?
> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?

Greer Garson
(I thought it was 1942)

> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?
> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1997

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

Contralto

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?

Lost in Space

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

Polyglot

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Björn Lundin

Nov 27, 2014, 12:21:31 PM11/27/14
On 2014-11-27 00:58, Calvin wrote:

> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?
Boer war
> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
Translations are always tricky. The direct translation would be
something like 'Five black hens' (Fem svarta höns) but I doubt it was
called that.

> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?
1999
> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?
mezzo-sopran
> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?
multi-lingual ? Bi-lingual would be only two.

--
Björn

Björn Lundin

Nov 27, 2014, 12:25:24 PM11/27/14
On 2014-11-27 18:22, Björn Lundin wrote:
> On 2014-11-27 00:58, Calvin wrote:
>> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?
> Translations are always tricky. The direct translation would be
> something like 'Five black hens' (Fem svarta höns) but I doubt it was
> called that.

looking it up - <http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fem_svarta_h%C3%B6ns> -

I see it was called 'A Town Like Alice'
How about that for a translation ....

Björn

David B

Nov 28, 2014, 4:32:09 AM11/28/14
1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

Stephen's.

2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film
Schindler's List was based?
3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For
Whom the Bell Tolls set?
4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in
a Japanese prison camp during WW2?

Tenko.

6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck
(2001)?
7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1997.

8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

Alto Soprano.

9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?
10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

Polyglot.

Rob Parker

Nov 29, 2014, 4:50:01 PM11/29/14
> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

Stephen (?)

> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the
> film Schindler's List was based?

Schindler's Ark

> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For
> Whom the Bell Tolls set?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?
> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held
> in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?

I remember watching this, but I've got no idea what it was called.

> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck
> (2001)?

Kathy Lette

> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1997

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

contralto

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?

Lost In Space

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

polyglot

Rob

Calvin

Dec 1, 2014, 5:02:24 AM12/1/14
On Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:58:13 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which saint's day is celebrated on Boxing Day?

St Stephen
As in, on the feast of

> 2 What was the original title of the Thomas Keneally novel on which the film Schindler's List was based?

Schindler's Ark

> 3 During which conflict is the action of Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel For Whom the Bell Tolls set?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 Which actress played the title role in the 1944 film Mrs Miniver?

Greg Garson
It was actually 1942 as Chris pointed out.

> 5 Which 1980s TV series followed a group of female Allied detainees held in a Japanese prison camp during WW2?

Tenko

> 6 Which Australian author's works include Mad Cows (1986) and Nip n Tuck (2001)?

Kathy Lette

> 7 In which year did Princess Diana die?

1997

> 8 Which singing voice is between a tenor and a soprano?

[Contr]Alto / Mezzasoprano

> 9 In which TV series did the character Dr. Zachary Smith feature?

Lost in Space

> 10 Which word describes a person fluent in several / many languages?

Polyglot
Though I liked Mark's suggestion of "Swiss" :-)

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 366
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 35 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 38 Rob Parker
0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 6 33 Chris Johnson
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 28 David Brown
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 4 26 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 4 27 Peter Smyth
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 4 27 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 22 Erland S
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 9 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 2 4 2 1 0 5 9 5 8 41 46%

Mark just pips Rob in a tough one.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 8, 2014, 6:31:25 PM12/8/14
"Calvin":
> > 4 Which actress played the title role in the [1942] film Mrs Miniver?
>
> Greg Garson

No, he was in the sequel, Mr. Miniver. :-)
--
Mark Brader | "It is refreshing to have Republican presidential
Toronto | candidates we can believe about *something*.