Calvin's Quiz #522

Calvin

Jun 5, 2018, 10:20:09 PM6/5/18

1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?
2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?
3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?
4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?
5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?
6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?
7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?
8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?
9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?
10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S. state?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2018, 1:16:22 AM6/6/18
"Calvin":
> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of
> which school of painting?

Expressionism.

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known
> as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana.

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a
> cappuccino?

Chocolate?

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest
> proportion of Muslims in its population?

Netherlands, I suppose.

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

By the flames.

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5
> million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Reynolds? (I know he did one but I don't think it was for Cosmo.)

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the
> outcome of which war?

Thirty Years' War.

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in
> Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

<spit> Gehry. </>

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

Shoes?

> 10 John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" is an official state
> song of what U.S. state?

Colorado, presumably.
--
Mark Brader | "He's suffering from Politician's Logic."
Toronto | "Something must be done, this is something, therefore

Dan Tilque

Jun 6, 2018, 1:30:22 AM6/6/18
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?

Impressionist

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?
> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?

France

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

the flames

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?
> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?
> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?
> 10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S. state?

Colorado

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 6, 2018, 5:10:57 AM6/6/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of
> which school of painting?

Impressionists

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known
> as the 'Pelican State'?

New Mexico

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a
> cappuccino?

Chocolate

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest
> proportion of Muslims in its population?

France

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

It's on fire. (That is, you pour some strong alcoholic beverage on it
and lit it.)

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the
> outcome of which war?

Thirty-Year War.

Dan Blum

Jun 6, 2018, 10:03:59 AM6/6/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?

Impressionism

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?

chocolate

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?

France

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flamb??ed?

it's on fire

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?

English Civil War

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

Gaudi

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

pants

> 10 John Denver???s ???Rocky Mountain High??? is an official state song of what U.S. state?

Colorado

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2018, 1:40:43 PM6/6/18
"Calvin":
> > 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the
> > outcome of which war?

Mark Brader:
> Thirty Years' War.

(After looking it up)

Dammit! I *thought* it was the English Civil War, but I did not believe
a battle in 1645 could have been decisive when the monarchy was still
around as late as 1651. Oh, those 17th-century British!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The problem is that tax lawyers are
m...@vex.net | amazingly creative." -- David Sherman

Peter Smyth

Jun 6, 2018, 1:55:07 PM6/6/18
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?
Impressionist
> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?
> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?
Chocolate
> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?
France
> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?
It is set on fire
> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?
Burt Reynolds
> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?
English Civil War
> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?
> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?
Trousers
> 10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S. state?
Colorado

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

Jun 6, 2018, 3:24:23 PM6/6/18
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 19:20:09 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?

impressionist

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?

chocolate

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?

England

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

FIRE!!! Everybody Run! FIRE!!!!

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?

One of the wars in Britain?

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

Frank Gehry

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

shoes

> 10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S. state?

Colorado

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Blum

Jun 6, 2018, 5:03:05 PM6/6/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the
> > > outcome of which war?
>
> Mark Brader:
> > Thirty Years' War.

> (After looking it up)

> Dammit! I *thought* it was the English Civil War, but I did not believe
> a battle in 1645 could have been decisive when the monarchy was still
> around as late as 1651. Oh, those 17th-century British!

Technically it was the First English Civil War it decided. It was so
popular it spawned sequels.

Pete Gayde

Jun 6, 2018, 5:57:32 PM6/6/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of
> which school of painting?

Impressionism

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA
> team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A
> mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a
> cappuccino?

Chocolate

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the
> highest proportion of Muslims in its population?

Germany

> 5 How would one
> most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

Singed by flame

> 6 The April
> 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies,
> mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of
> Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?

100 Years War

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in
> Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

Gehry

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

Shoes

> 10 John Denver’s
> “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S.
> state?

Colorado

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 7, 2018, 4:59:40 PM6/7/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> Thirty Years' War.
>
> (After looking it up)
>
> Dammit! I *thought* it was the English Civil War, but I did not believe
> a battle in 1645 could have been decisive when the monarchy was still
> around as late as 1651. Oh, those 17th-century British!

Well, I had the same wrong answer as you, although I did have another war
in mind. I never heard of Naseby, but it sounds suspciously Scandinavian. I ruled out my war on the grounds that an Aussie is unlikely to know about this war, and which was a sort of side war to the Thirty-Year War. Swedish forces attacked Denmark from the German side and fell into Jutland. The piece treaty from Brösebro is well-known in Sweden, as it brought Sweden some territorial gains that remain today. (And in 1657 Swedish forces redid the same trick and thanks to the blazingly cold winter 57-58 the could cross the straits and lay Copenhagen under siege. That peace treaty was no fun at all for the Danish crown.)

I'm not very well verse in the English civil wars, so I don't blame myself for missing that one.

Gareth Owen

Jun 13, 2018, 12:51:16 AM6/13/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of
> which school of painting?

Impressionism

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known
> as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a
> cappuccino?

Chocolate

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest
> proportion of Muslims in its population?

Spain?

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served
> flambéed?

Its on fire

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5
> million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome
> of which war?

English Civil War

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los
> Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

Antonio Gaudi

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

Shoes

> 10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of
> what U.S. state?

Colorado

Calvin

Jun 17, 2018, 11:09:47 PM6/17/18
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 12:20:09 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Claude Monet were leading exponents of which school of painting?

Imperssionism

> 2 Reflected in the nickname of its NBA team, which US state is known as the 'Pelican State'?

Louisiana

> 3 A mochaccino is traditionally made by adding what ingredient to a cappuccino?

Chocolate / Cacao

> 4 Of Western European countries, at 7-9% which has the highest proportion of Muslims in its population?

France

> 5 How would one most easily recognise a dish being served flambéed?

By the flames!

> 6 The April 1972 issue of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine sold over 1.5 million copies, mostly due to a nude centrefold of which actor?

Burt Reynolds

> 7 The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was decisive in determining the outcome of which war?

[First] English Civil War

> 8 Which architect's works include the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa?

Frank Gehry
Who is not on Mark's Christmas card list for some reason.

> 9 Espadrilles are a variety of which type of clothing?

Shoes / Footwear

> 10 John Denver’s “Rocky Mountain High” is an official state song of what U.S. state?

Colorado

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 522
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 42 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 8 43 Dan Blum
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 44 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 44 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 44 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 6 35 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 24 Erland S
7 5 6 4 7 6 2 3 4 6 50 71%

8 was a popular score :-) Congratulations Peter S.

cheers,
calvin