Calvin's Quiz #600

Calvin

May 18, 2020, 8:15:47 PM5/18/20

1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?
2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?
3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English consonant?
4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar nominations?
5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India and Pakistan.
6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs are scored?
7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?
8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?
9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?
10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 18, 2020, 9:04:05 PM5/18/20
"Calvin":
> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough,
> which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of
> Woodstock?

Blenheim?

> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively
> refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as
> disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?

Ivory tower.

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such
> as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the
> letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as
> if they were which English consonant?

H?

> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film
> earning 7 Oscar nominations?

Secretariat.

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred
> to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict
> between China, India and Pakistan.

Jammu and Kashmir.

> 6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs
> are scored?

Maiden?

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule,
> atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical
> reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where
> electrons are lost?

Oxidation.

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the
> complementary colour to green?

Red.

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological
> abbreviation RFID?

Radio frequency.

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

"I Will Survive"?
--
Mark Brader | "...the scholarly instructor whisked his pupils through the
Toronto | entire universe in five months. Of course, the universe

Chris F.A. Johnson

May 18, 2020, 11:08:17 PM5/18/20
On 2020-05-19, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?

Blenheim Palace

> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?

Ivory Tower

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English consonant?
> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar nominations?

Seabuicuit

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India and Pakistan.

J??? and Kashmir

> 6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs are scored?

maiden

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?

Gain

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?

Red

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?

Radio Frequency

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

No pain, no Gaynor ??

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com/>
=========================== Author: ===============================

Dan Tilque

May 19, 2020, 7:15:36 AM5/19/20
On 5/18/20 5:15 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?
> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?

ivory tower

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English consonant?

> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar nominations?

Sea Biscuit

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India and Pakistan.
> 6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs are scored?

duck

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?

oxidation

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?

red

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?

radio frequency

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

May 19, 2020, 9:34:21 AM5/19/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?

Blenheim

> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?

ivory tower

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English consonant?

> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar nominations?

Seabiscuit

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India and Pakistan.

Jammu & Kashmir

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?

acidification

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?

red

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?

radio frequency

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

I Have Survived

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 19, 2020, 4:58:21 PM5/19/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which
> palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?

Windsor

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as
> Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the
> start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English
> consonant?

> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7
> Oscar nominations?

Stewball

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as
> "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India
> and Pakistan.

Jammu & Kashmir

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion
> gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term
> for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?

oxidation

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary
> colour to green?

Yellow

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?

Remote Field

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

I'm Alive

Pete Gayde

May 20, 2020, 12:54:29 AM5/20/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which
> palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?

Balmoral

> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to
the
> intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the
> practicalities of everyday life?
> 3 Reflected in the correct
> pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the
> Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be
> pronounced as if they were which English consonant?

> 4 Which
> American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar
> nominations?

Secretariat

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often
> referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict
> between China, India and Pakistan.

Jumail and Kashmir

> 6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs are
scored?

Goose egg

> 7 Chemically speaking,
> reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more
> electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the
> opposite process, where electrons are lost?

Shedding

> 8 In the traditional
> RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?

Violet

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation
RFID?

Radio Frequency

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's
> autobiography?

I Will Survive

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

May 28, 2020, 6:12:34 PM5/28/20
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10:15:47 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Built between 1705 and 1725 for the Duke of Marlborough, which palace is situated near the Oxfordshire village of Woodstock?

Blenheim Palace

> 2 What informal two-word term for a university derisively refers to the intellectual pursuits of its academics, as disconnected from the practicalities of everyday life?

Ivory Tower

> 3 Reflected in the correct pronunciation of place names such as Whangarei and Whakatane, in the Maori language the letters "Wh" at the start of a word should be pronounced as if they were which English consonant?

> 4 Which American racehorse was the subject of a 2003 film earning 7 Oscar nominations?

Seabiscuit

> 5 What is the full name of the Indian state often referred to as "J&K"? It is subject of a territorial conflict between China, India and Pakistan.

Jammu and Kashmir

> 6 Which cricketing term refers to over from which no runs are scored?

Maiden

> 7 Chemically speaking, reduction occurs when a molecule, atom or ion gains one or more electrons during a chemical reaction. What is the term for the opposite process, where electrons are lost?

Oxidation

> 8 In the traditional RYB colour model, what is the complementary colour to green?

Red

> 9 What are the first two words in the technological abbreviation RFID?

Radio Frequency

> 10 What was the appropriate title of Gloria Gaynor's autobiography?

I Will Survive

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 600
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 27 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 6 21 Chris Johnson
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 6 22 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 6 23 Dan Blum