RQFTCI07 Game 1 Rounds 2-3: conquerors, similar titles

Mark Brader

Jun 23, 2020, 1:45:20 AM6/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-01-22,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

We are back to the usual QFTCI rules: you are allowed up to two
guesses on each questions, but if you give both a right and a wrong
answer, there is a small penalty. For further information see my
recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

In some cases either the answers or the facts stated as current
in the question have changed since the question was written.
I've tried to call attention to such possibilities by inserting
*tripled quotation marks* around words that were correct at the time
of the original game -- for example, """now""" or """is""" (pretty
much any present-tense verb may be marked). I will always accept
the answer that was correct when the question was originally asked.
If the facts have changed in such a way that a different answer is
now correct (rather than some other sort of change), I will also
accept the new correct answer -- unless there is an explicit note
requiring otherwise. See the companion posting for further details.

I wrote one of these two rounds.

* Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors

Given the years, and a description of the area conquered and its
size, name the conqueror. The sizes are, of course, approximate,
and dates are, of course, AD unless otherwise indicated.

1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
Sea.

3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

5. From 997 to 1030, he conquered 680,000 sq.mi. His empire
extended from the Indian Ocean to the Amu Darya River, and from
the Tigris east to the Ganges River.

6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
through to Bolivia.

7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
Russian plain.

10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba rnpu bs gur
*ynfg guerr* dhrfgvbaf jr arrq gur anzr naq fbhoevdhrg, be gur svefg
naq ynfg anzr, nf nccyvpnoyr, sbe shyy cbvagf. Vs lbh tnir bayl
bar anzr ba nal thrff ba nal bs gurfr guerr dhrfgvbaf, cyrnfr tb
onpx naq fhccyl zber. Bzvggvat n erdhverq fbhoevdhrg jvyy fpber nf
"nyzbfg pbeerpg"; bzvggvat n erdhverq anzr jvyy or pbafvqrerq jebat.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Not to be Confused With

This round was inspired by the near-simultanous release """last
month""" of movies both involving the aftermath of World War II
and titled "The Good German" and "The Good Shepherd". For each
question we will describe two movies with similar or identical
titles, in most cases produced within a few years, and having
thematic similarities as well, although none of them are sequels
or remakes. You will need to give us *both titles*, if different
(we hope the one will be a hint to the other); but at least you
won't need to say which movie is which.

1. Two early Alfred Hitchcock thrillers. We want their original
release titles, which are the ones people use today. The 1936
movie, starring Sylvia Sidney with Oscar Homolka as the villain,
includes what we would now call a terrorist attack on a London
bus; the 1942 movie stars Robert Cummings as a man falsely
accused of being an enemy agent, and climaxes on the Statue of
Liberty's torch.

2. Two hard-hitting dramas whose stories relate to crime in
different ways, these movies from 2001 and 2003 won the Best
Actress Oscar for Halle Berry and Charlize Theron respectively.

3. In 1964, Sean Connery was James Bond. In 1995 it was Pierce
Brosnan.

4. Two movies featuring messages across time. In the 1997 Henry
Jaglom film, Victoria Foyt has an odd encounter with an older
woman, and then finds herself mysteriously drawn to go to England
and meet Stephen Dillane. In 2006, it's Denzel Washington and
a more technological type of communication. Both movies have
the same title, so we only need one answer.

5. Two foreign-language dramas set among German civilians in the
1940s; we want the titles used in Canada. In the 1990 movie by
Agnieszka Holland, a Jewish boy decides to save himself from the
Nazis by passing as a Christian and joining the Hitler Youth.
The 1991 film, directed by Lars von Trier, features an American
whose loyalties are divided when he takes a job on the German
railways after the war.

6. Two crime dramas set in 1940s Los Angeles. One was made in 1946,
starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, with a screenplay by
Raymond Chandler. The other is a 2006 adaptation of a James
Ellroy novel, with Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson.

7. Two madcap comedies. The 1931 movie starred the four Marx
Brothers on a ship, four years before "A Night at the Opera";
the second movie was from 1952, starring Cary Grant and Ginger
Rogers, with Marilyn Monroe appearing as a secretary, and
Howard Hawks directed. Their title is the same, so we only
need one answer.

8. Two Frank Capra classics combining comedy and a social message.
In 1936 Gary Cooper plays an unconventional heir to a fortune; in
1939 Jimmy Stewart plays an unconventional heir to a Senate seat.
Jean Arthur co-stars in both movies. The titles have the *same
number* of words, but differ in *two places*.

9. Two thrillers. The first begins with a terrorist-style
attack and was therefore postponed from a 2001 to a 2002 release;
Arnold Schwarzenegger avenges his wife's death by hunting down
drug dealers in Colombia and foiling another murder in the US.
Then in 2004, Tom Cruise gets into Jamie Foxx's taxicab and
soon reveals himself to be a murderer.

10. Two dramas of love and chance. In 1942 Ronald Colman plays
a man who suffers amnesia twice, so he has to fall for Greer
Garson twice. In 1999, Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas
are drawn together when they realize their spouses, both killed
in the same plane crash, were having an affair together.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Big programs are a bug."
m...@vex.net -- Geoff Collyer

Dan Blum

Jun 23, 2020, 9:51:17 AM6/23/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors

> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander the Great

> 2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
> most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
> Sea.

Timur

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Hitler

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoleon I

> 5. From 997 to 1030, he conquered 680,000 sq.mi. His empire
> extended from the Indian Ocean to the Amu Darya River, and from
> the Tigris east to the Ganges River.

Ashoka

> 6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
> the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
> through to Bolivia.

Pizarro

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Cortez

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

Genghis Khan

> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.

Attila the Hun

> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

Cyrus the Great

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Not to be Confused With

> 2. Two hard-hitting dramas whose stories relate to crime in
> different ways, these movies from 2001 and 2003 won the Best
> Actress Oscar for Halle Berry and Charlize Theron respectively.

Monster's Ball and Monster

> 3. In 1964, Sean Connery was James Bond. In 1995 it was Pierce
> Brosnan.

Goldfinger and Goldeneye

> 7. Two madcap comedies. The 1931 movie starred the four Marx
> Brothers on a ship, four years before "A Night at the Opera";
> the second movie was from 1952, starring Cary Grant and Ginger
> Rogers, with Marilyn Monroe appearing as a secretary, and
> Howard Hawks directed. Their title is the same, so we only
> need one answer.

Monkey Business

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 23, 2020, 2:29:05 PM6/23/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors
>
> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander the Great

> 2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
> most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
> Sea.

Tamerlame

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Adolf Hitler

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoléon Bonaparte

> 6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
> the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
> through to Bolivia.

Velazquez

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Cortez

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

Djenghis Khan

In fact he started earlier - more or less with the iconic two empty hands.
But the 25 years went to unite the Mongols.

> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.

Attila the Hun

> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

Cyrus the Great

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 23, 2020, 8:04:19 PM6/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:V8idnSqYp8h3C2zDnZ2dnUU7-
LvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors
>
> Given the years, and a description of the area conquered and its
> size, name the conqueror. The sizes are, of course, approximate,
> and dates are, of course, AD unless otherwise indicated.
>
> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander the Great

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Adolf Hitler

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoleon Bonaparte

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Cortes

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

Genghis Khan

> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.

Attila the Hun

> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

Cyrus I; Cyrus II

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Not to be Confused With
>
> This round was inspired by the near-simultanous release """last
> month""" of movies both involving the aftermath of World War II
> and titled "The Good German" and "The Good Shepherd". For each
> question we will describe two movies with similar or identical
> titles, in most cases produced within a few years, and having
> thematic similarities as well, although none of them are sequels
> or remakes. You will need to give us *both titles*, if different
> (we hope the one will be a hint to the other); but at least you
> won't need to say which movie is which.
>
> 1. Two early Alfred Hitchcock thrillers. We want their original
> release titles, which are the ones people use today. The 1936
> movie, starring Sylvia Sidney with Oscar Homolka as the villain,
> includes what we would now call a terrorist attack on a London
> bus; the 1942 movie stars Robert Cummings as a man falsely
> accused of being an enemy agent, and climaxes on the Statue of
> Liberty's torch.

"Sabotage," "Saboteur

> 2. Two hard-hitting dramas whose stories relate to crime in
> different ways, these movies from 2001 and 2003 won the Best
> Actress Oscar for Halle Berry and Charlize Theron respectively.

"Monster's Ball," "Monster"

> 3. In 1964, Sean Connery was James Bond. In 1995 it was Pierce
> Brosnan.

"Goldfinger," "Goldeneye"

> 5. Two foreign-language dramas set among German civilians in the
> 1940s; we want the titles used in Canada. In the 1990 movie by
> Agnieszka Holland, a Jewish boy decides to save himself from the
> Nazis by passing as a Christian and joining the Hitler Youth.
> The 1991 film, directed by Lars von Trier, features an American
> whose loyalties are divided when he takes a job on the German
> railways after the war.

"Europa Europa," "Europa"

> 6. Two crime dramas set in 1940s Los Angeles. One was made in 1946,
> starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, with a screenplay by
> Raymond Chandler. The other is a 2006 adaptation of a James
> Ellroy novel, with Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson.

"The Blue Dahlia," "The Black Dahlia"

> 7. Two madcap comedies. The 1931 movie starred the four Marx
> Brothers on a ship, four years before "A Night at the Opera";
> the second movie was from 1952, starring Cary Grant and Ginger
> Rogers, with Marilyn Monroe appearing as a secretary, and
> Howard Hawks directed. Their title is the same, so we only
> need one answer.

"Monkey Business"

> 8. Two Frank Capra classics combining comedy and a social message.
> In 1936 Gary Cooper plays an unconventional heir to a fortune; in
> 1939 Jimmy Stewart plays an unconventional heir to a Senate seat.
> Jean Arthur co-stars in both movies. The titles have the *same
> number* of words, but differ in *two places*.

"Mr. Deeds Goes to Town," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

> 9. Two thrillers. The first begins with a terrorist-style
> attack and was therefore postponed from a 2001 to a 2002 release;
> Arnold Schwarzenegger avenges his wife's death by hunting down
> drug dealers in Colombia and foiling another murder in the US.
> Then in 2004, Tom Cruise gets into Jamie Foxx's taxicab and
> soon reveals himself to be a murderer.

"Collateral Damage," "Collateral"

> 10. Two dramas of love and chance. In 1942 Ronald Colman plays
> a man who suffers amnesia twice, so he has to fall for Greer
> Garson twice. In 1999, Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas
> are drawn together when they realize their spouses, both killed
> in the same plane crash, were having an affair together.

"Random Harvest," "Random Hearts"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 23, 2020, 8:09:13 PM6/23/20
On 6/22/20 10:45 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors
>
> Given the years, and a description of the area conquered and its
> size, name the conqueror. The sizes are, of course, approximate,
> and dates are, of course, AD unless otherwise indicated.
>
> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander the Great

> 2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
> most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
> Sea.

Tamerlane

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Hitler

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoleon

> 5. From 997 to 1030, he conquered 680,000 sq.mi. His empire
> extended from the Indian Ocean to the Amu Darya River, and from
> the Tigris east to the Ganges River.
>
> 6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
> the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
> through to Bolivia.

Pizarro

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Cortez

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

Genghis Khan

> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.

Attila the Hun

> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

Cyrus the Great
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jun 25, 2020, 7:07:01 PM6/25/20
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 3:45:20 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors

At least this set hasn't dated :-)

> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander le Great

> 2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
> most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
> Sea.

Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Hitler

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoleon

> 5. From 997 to 1030, he conquered 680,000 sq.mi. His empire
> extended from the Indian Ocean to the Amu Darya River, and from
> the Tigris east to the Ganges River.

Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun

> 6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
> the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
> through to Bolivia.

Cortez

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Or is that Cortes?

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.
>
> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.
>
> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Not to be Confused With

> 1. Two early Alfred Hitchcock thrillers. We want their original
> release titles, which are the ones people use today. The 1936
> movie, starring Sylvia Sidney with Oscar Homolka as the villain,
> includes what we would now call a terrorist attack on a London
> bus; the 1942 movie stars Robert Cummings as a man falsely
> accused of being an enemy agent, and climaxes on the Statue of
> Liberty's torch.
>
> 2. Two hard-hitting dramas whose stories relate to crime in
> different ways, these movies from 2001 and 2003 won the Best
> Actress Oscar for Halle Berry and Charlize Theron respectively.

Monster, Monster's Ball

> 3. In 1964, Sean Connery was James Bond. In 1995 it was Pierce
> Brosnan.

Goldfinger, Goldeneye

> 4. Two movies featuring messages across time. In the 1997 Henry
> Jaglom film, Victoria Foyt has an odd encounter with an older
> woman, and then finds herself mysteriously drawn to go to England
> and meet Stephen Dillane. In 2006, it's Denzel Washington and
> a more technological type of communication. Both movies have
> the same title, so we only need one answer.
>
> 5. Two foreign-language dramas set among German civilians in the
> 1940s; we want the titles used in Canada. In the 1990 movie by
> Agnieszka Holland, a Jewish boy decides to save himself from the
> Nazis by passing as a Christian and joining the Hitler Youth.
> The 1991 film, directed by Lars von Trier, features an American
> whose loyalties are divided when he takes a job on the German
> railways after the war.
>
> 6. Two crime dramas set in 1940s Los Angeles. One was made in 1946,
> starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, with a screenplay by
> Raymond Chandler. The other is a 2006 adaptation of a James
> Ellroy novel, with Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson.

The Black Dahlia

> 7. Two madcap comedies. The 1931 movie starred the four Marx
> Brothers on a ship, four years before "A Night at the Opera";
> the second movie was from 1952, starring Cary Grant and Ginger
> Rogers, with Marilyn Monroe appearing as a secretary, and
> Howard Hawks directed. Their title is the same, so we only
> need one answer.
>
> 8. Two Frank Capra classics combining comedy and a social message.
> In 1936 Gary Cooper plays an unconventional heir to a fortune; in
> 1939 Jimmy Stewart plays an unconventional heir to a Senate seat.
> Jean Arthur co-stars in both movies. The titles have the *same
> number* of words, but differ in *two places*.
>
> 9. Two thrillers. The first begins with a terrorist-style
> attack and was therefore postponed from a 2001 to a 2002 release;
> Arnold Schwarzenegger avenges his wife's death by hunting down
> drug dealers in Colombia and foiling another murder in the US.
> Then in 2004, Tom Cruise gets into Jamie Foxx's taxicab and
> soon reveals himself to be a murderer.
>
> 10. Two dramas of love and chance. In 1942 Ronald Colman plays
> a man who suffers amnesia twice, so he has to fall for Greer
> Garson twice. In 1999, Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas
> are drawn together when they realize their spouses, both killed
> in the same plane crash, were having an affair together.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 26, 2020, 12:46:10 AM6/26/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-01-22,
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these two rounds.

That was the entertainment round, and of all the rounds I've written
over the years, it was one of the ones I was most pleased with.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - Conquerors

> Given the years, and a description of the area conquered and its
> size, name the conqueror. The sizes are, of course, approximate,
> and dates are, of course, AD unless otherwise indicated.

> 1. From 334 to 326 BC, he conquered 2,180,000 square miles of
> territory, from the Balkans to as far as the Indus River.

Alexander the Great. "Alexander" was acceptable. 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 2. From 1370 to 1402, he conquered 2,145,000 sq.mi. This included
> most of the Near East, from the Indus river to the Mediterranean
> Sea.

Timur, also known as Tamerlane. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. From 1933 to 1942, conquered 1,370,000 sq.mi., an area that
> included most of continental Europe, from the English Channel
> to the outskirts of Moscow, and from North Africa to Norway.

Adolf Hitler, duh. 4 for everyone.

> 4. From 1796 to 1810, he conquered 720,000 sq.mi., including France,
> Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, and Spain.

Napoléon Bonaparte. Just "Napoleon" was acceptable. 4 for everyone.

> 5. From 997 to 1030, he conquered 680,000 sq.mi. His empire
> extended from the Indian Ocean to the Amu Darya River, and from
> the Tigris east to the Ganges River.

Yamin ad-Dawlah Mahmud of Ghazni. (No, you didn't have to give the
whole thing. No, I hadn't heard of him either.)

> 6. From 1531 to 1541, he conquered 480,000 sq.mi. He subjugated
> the Incan empire, which extended from modern Ecuador south
> through to Bolivia.

Francisco Pizarro. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. From 1519 to 1526, he conquered 315,000 sq.mi., defeating the
> Aztecs. He seized Central and South Mexico and later subjugated
> Guatemala and Honduras to Spanish rule.

Hernán Cortés. 4 for everyone.

> 8. From 1206 to 1227, this man conquered 4,860,000 sq.mi. His
> empire spanned from China to Southern Siberia and Central Asia.

Genghis Khan. (Both names required.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. From 433 to 453, he conquered 1,450,000 sq.mi. He ruled an
> empire encompassing Central and Eastern Europe and the Western
> Russian plain.

Attila the Hun. (Soubriquet required for full points.) 4 for
Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.

Cyrus the Great (or II or the Elder). (Soubriquet required for
full points.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua
(the hard way).

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Not to be Confused With

> This round was inspired by the near-simultanous release """last
> month""" of movies both involving the aftermath of World War II
> and titled "The Good German" and "The Good Shepherd". For each
> question we will describe two movies with similar or identical
> titles, in most cases produced within a few years, and having
> thematic similarities as well, although none of them are sequels
> or remakes. You will need to give us *both titles*, if different
> (we hope the one will be a hint to the other); but at least you
> won't need to say which movie is which.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Two early Alfred Hitchcock thrillers. We want their original
> release titles, which are the ones people use today. The 1936
> movie, starring Sylvia Sidney with Oscar Homolka as the villain,
> includes what we would now call a terrorist attack on a London
> bus; the 1942 movie stars Robert Cummings as a man falsely
> accused of being an enemy agent, and climaxes on the Statue of
> Liberty's torch.

"Sabotage"; "Saboteur". 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Two hard-hitting dramas whose stories relate to crime in
> different ways, these movies from 2001 and 2003 won the Best
> Actress Oscar for Halle Berry and Charlize Theron respectively.

"Monster's Ball"; "Monster". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 3. In 1964, Sean Connery was James Bond. In 1995 it was Pierce
> Brosnan.

"Goldfinger"; "GoldenEye". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 4. Two movies featuring messages across time. In the 1997 Henry
> Jaglom film, Victoria Foyt has an odd encounter with an older
> woman, and then finds herself mysteriously drawn to go to England
> and meet Stephen Dillane. In 2006, it's Denzel Washington and
> a more technological type of communication. Both movies have
> the same title, so we only need one answer.

"Deja Vu." (Now that's appropriate...)

> 5. Two foreign-language dramas set among German civilians in the
> 1940s; we want the titles used in Canada. In the 1990 movie by
> Agnieszka Holland, a Jewish boy decides to save himself from the
> Nazis by passing as a Christian and joining the Hitler Youth.
> The 1991 film, directed by Lars von Trier, features an American
> whose loyalties are divided when he takes a job on the German
> railways after the war.

"Europa Europa" (known in some countries as "Solomon, Hitler Youth");
"Europa" (known in some countries as "Zentropa"). 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Two crime dramas set in 1940s Los Angeles. One was made in 1946,
> starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, with a screenplay by
> Raymond Chandler. The other is a 2006 adaptation of a James
> Ellroy novel, with Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson.

"The Blue Dahlia"; "The Black Dahlia". 4 for Joshua.

> 7. Two madcap comedies. The 1931 movie starred the four Marx
> Brothers on a ship, four years before "A Night at the Opera";
> the second movie was from 1952, starring Cary Grant and Ginger
> Rogers, with Marilyn Monroe appearing as a secretary, and
> Howard Hawks directed. Their title is the same, so we only
> need one answer.

"Monkey Business". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Two Frank Capra classics combining comedy and a social message.
> In 1936 Gary Cooper plays an unconventional heir to a fortune; in
> 1939 Jimmy Stewart plays an unconventional heir to a Senate seat.
> Jean Arthur co-stars in both movies. The titles have the *same
> number* of words, but differ in *two places*.

"Mr. Deeds Goes to Town"; "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".
4 for Joshua.

> 9. Two thrillers. The first begins with a terrorist-style
> attack and was therefore postponed from a 2001 to a 2002 release;
> Arnold Schwarzenegger avenges his wife's death by hunting down
> drug dealers in Colombia and foiling another murder in the US.
> Then in 2004, Tom Cruise gets into Jamie Foxx's taxicab and
> soon reveals himself to be a murderer.

"Collateral Damage"; "Collateral". 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Two dramas of love and chance. In 1942 Ronald Colman plays
> a man who suffers amnesia twice, so he has to fall for Greer
> Garson twice. In 1999, Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas
> are drawn together when they realize their spouses, both killed
> in the same plane crash, were having an affair together.

"Random Harvest"; "Random Hearts". 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 27 36 63
Dan Blum 36 12 48
Dan Tilque 36 0 36
Erland Sommarskog 32 0 32
"Calvin" 16 8 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
m...@vex.net -- Fonseca & Carolino

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2020, 1:08:22 AM6/26/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:-MOdnbQMGIwQ4GjDnZ2dnUU7-
d_N...@giganews.com:

>> 10. From 559 to 539 BC, he conquered 2,090,000 sq.mi. He conquered
>> the Median (or Medean) Empire, Babylonia, Assyria, Syria,
>> Palestine, the Indus Valley, and Southern Turkestan.
>
> Cyrus the Great (or II or the Elder). (Soubriquet required for
> full points.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua
> (the hard way).

On this one, I gave two apparently different answers ("Cyrus I; Cyrus II"),
so I would have though I would get only 2 points (and not the hard way, if
that even applied here).

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jun 26, 2020, 2:35:13 AM6/26/20
Mark Brader:
>> Cyrus the Great (or II or the Elder). (Soubriquet required for
>> full points.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua
>> (the hard way).

Joshua Kreitzer:
> On this one, I gave two apparently different answers ("Cyrus I; Cyrus II"),
> so I would have though I would get only 2 points (and not the hard way, if
> that even applied here).

Two almost correct answers is 3 points the hard way.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "In my case, self-absorption is
m...@vex.net completely justified." -- LAURA