Rotating Quiz #282

Dan Tilque

Feb 17, 2018, 7:18:04 AM2/17/18
Welcome to RQ #282. There's no theme to this one. Usual rules apply and
one point per question. Quiz will end next Thursday, 22-Feb-2018.

Note: assume usual English spellings for sections B and C.

A. Private spaceship companies.

1. The first launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was made recently. What
item did it put into orbit?

2. Elon Musk is not the only billionaire with a private spaceship
company. Who else owns one?

3. What is its name?

B. Capital cities of nations.

4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?

5. Which is alphabetically last?

C. Largest cities by initial letter.

Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:

6. B

7. D

8. I

9. K

10. O

11. P

12. R

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Feb 17, 2018, 7:32:52 AM2/17/18
Dan Tilque wrote:

> Welcome to RQ #282. There's no theme to this one. Usual rules apply and one point per question. Quiz will end next Thursday, 22-Feb-2018.
>
> Note: assume usual English spellings for sections B and C.
>

> A. Private spaceship companies.
>
> 1. The first launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was made recently. What item did it put into orbit?
A car
> 2. Elon Musk is not the only billionaire with a private spaceship company. Who else owns one?
>
> 3. What is its name?
>

> B. Capital cities of nations.
>
> 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?
Accra
> 5. Which is alphabetically last?
Wellington

> C. Largest cities by initial letter.
>
> Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:
>
> 6. B
Beijing
> 7. D
Delhi
> 8. I
Istanbul
> 9. K
Kyoto
> 10. O
Osaka
> 11. P
Paris
> 12. R
Rio De Janeiro

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Feb 17, 2018, 3:17:44 PM2/17/18
Dan Tilque:
> Welcome to RQ #282. There's no theme to this one. Usual rules apply and
> one point per question. Quiz will end next Thursday, 22-Feb-2018.

> A. Private spaceship companies.
>
> 1. The first launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was made recently. What
> item did it put into orbit?

A car.

> B. Capital cities of nations.
>
> 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?

Abuja.

(Conveniently, last night I did a Sporcle quiz on things starting with A,
and one of them was capitals.)

> 5. Which is alphabetically last?

Zagreb.

> Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:
>
> 6. B

Beijing.

> 7. D

Dhaka.

> 8. I

Istanbul.

> 9. K

Karachi.

> 10. O

Osaka.

> 11. P

Phnom Penh.

> 12. R

Rome.
--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."

My guesses in this article are in the public domain.

Dan Blum

Feb 17, 2018, 11:52:01 PM2/17/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:

> A. Private spaceship companies.

> 1. The first launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was made recently. What
> item did it put into orbit?

Tesla car

> 2. Elon Musk is not the only billionaire with a private spaceship
> company. Who else owns one?

Richard Branson

> 3. What is its name?

Virgin Galactic

> B. Capital cities of nations.

> 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?

Abuja

> 5. Which is alphabetically last?

Zagreb

> C. Largest cities by initial letter.

> Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:

> 6. B

Beijing

> 7. D

Dhaka

> 8. I

Islamabad

> 9. K

Kolkata

> 10. O

Osaka

> 11. P

Pune

> 12. R

Rio de Janeiro

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 18, 2018, 4:29:46 AM2/18/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> 2. Elon Musk is not the only billionaire with a private spaceship
> company. Who else owns one?

Richard Brancon

> 3. What is its name?

Virgin Galctical

> 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?

Abuja

> 5. Which is alphabetically last?

Zagreb

> C. Largest cities by initial letter.
>
> Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:
>
> 6. B

Since Bombay begins with M, it must be Buenos Aires. :-)

> 7. D

Dhaka

> 8. I

Istanbul

> 9. K

Karachi

> 10. O

Osaka

> 11. P

Paris

> 12. R

Rangoon when it doesn't start on Y.

Dan Tilque

Feb 21, 2018, 1:31:03 PM2/21/18
One day left.

Dan Tilque

Feb 23, 2018, 8:51:17 AM2/23/18
Dan Tilque wrote:
> Welcome to RQ #282. There's no theme to this one. Usual rules apply and
> one point per question. Quiz will end next Thursday, 22-Feb-2018.
>
> Note: assume usual English spellings for sections B and C.
>

> A. Private spaceship companies.
>
> 1. The first launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was made recently. What
> item did it put into orbit?

Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster. Any answer refering to a car, as long as
it's not the wrong make, will be accepted.

> 2. Elon Musk is not the only billionaire with a private spaceship
> company. Who else owns one?

I inadvertantly gave a question with two answers. Definitely not
deliberate, as in a recent RQ I posted. Either answer will be accepted.

Jeff Bezos
Richard Branson

> 3. What is its name?

Virgin Galactic
Blue Origin

> B. Capital cities of nations.
>
> 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?

Abu Dhabi, UAE

> 5. Which is alphabetically last?

Zagreb, Croatia

> C. Largest cities by initial letter.
>
> Name the largest city in the world that begins with each of these letters:
>
> 6. B

Beijing

> 7. D

Delhi

> 8. I

Istanbul

> 9. K

Karachi

> 10. O

Osaka

> 11. P

Paris

> 12. R

Rio de Janiero

I used this list as reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_by_population

Wikipedia has several lists about these things, but I feel this is the
best one. Using just the city proper, for example, gets into the
variable of how various countries create local governments.

Scoring:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 T
Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 8
Peter Smyth 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7
Erland 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7
Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6

So Dan Blum wins a close one. Congratulations. RQ #283 is yours.

Thanks for playing everyone.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Feb 23, 2018, 9:50:34 AM2/23/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:

> So Dan Blum wins a close one. Congratulations. RQ #283 is yours.

Thanks! I'll try to have something up before Monday.

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2018, 7:40:29 PM2/23/18
Dan Tilque:
> > B. Capital cities of nations.
> >
> > 4. Which is the alphabetically first capital city?
>
> Abu Dhabi, UAE

Dang! Who'd've thought that there'd be *two* starting with "Abu"?

Well done, Dan B.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto But that's what all the other
m...@vex.net individualists are doing!

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2018, 7:42:00 PM2/23/18
Dan Tilque:
> Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6

Nope. I missed Istanbul.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "To great evils we submit; we resent
m...@vex.net | little provocations." --William Hazlitt, 1822

Dan Blum

Feb 23, 2018, 8:49:46 PM2/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
> > Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6

> Nope. I missed Istanbul.

As did I, now that I look. That puts me in a tie with Peter and
Erland, assuming their scores are correct.

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2018, 10:57:09 PM2/23/18
Dan Tilque:
> > > Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6

Mark Brader:
> > Nope. I missed Istanbul.

Dan Blum:
> As did I, now that I look.

Looking again, I find that I somehow looked back at Dan B.'s answer
when I meant to look back at my own. Dan *did* miss Istanbul, but
I *didn't*.

> That puts me in a tie with Peter and
> Erland, assuming their scores are correct.

Agreed. I now get:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 TOTALS

Erland Sommarskog 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7
Peter Smyth 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7
Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 7
Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6

3 2 2 0 3 3 1 3 2 4 2 2

Sorry about the error.

Dan T. didn't specify a tiebreaker criterion, just "usual rules".
If the first tiebreaker is hardest questions and it's computed
numerically the same way "Calvin" does it on his contests, then
I make it that Dan B. has a 19, and since lower is better, he's
beaten by both Peter and Erland, tied at 18.

Peter was the first to post, so if that's the second tiebreaker,
then it's Peter who wins.

Dan T., can you please confirm or correct this, as applicable?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Carpe pecuniam!
m...@vex.net --Roger L. Smith

Dan Tilque

Feb 24, 2018, 12:52:32 PM2/24/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 TOTALS
>
> Erland Sommarskog 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7
> Peter Smyth 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7
> Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 7
> Mark Brader 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6
>
> 3 2 2 0 3 3 1 3 2 4 2 2
>
> Sorry about the error.
>
> Dan T. didn't specify a tiebreaker criterion, just "usual rules".
> If the first tiebreaker is hardest questions and it's computed
> numerically the same way "Calvin" does it on his contests, then
> I make it that Dan B. has a 19, and since lower is better, he's
> beaten by both Peter and Erland, tied at 18.
>
> Peter was the first to post, so if that's the second tiebreaker,
> then it's Peter who wins.
>
> Dan T., can you please confirm or correct this, as applicable?

Confirm. Your summary is exactly right. So it's over to Peter.

--
Dan Tilque

PS Sorry I was late. I was watching the US curling team win a gold medal.

Mark Brader

Feb 24, 2018, 2:59:25 PM2/24/18
Dan Tilque:
> PS Sorry I was late. I was watching the US curling team win a gold medal.

Good for you. Here, whoever supplies program information to our PVR
arbitrarily split the relevant CBC broadcast into three separate parts
7, 4, and 6 hours long, and I didn't notice that the game was split
between two of them, so I ended up missing most of it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The frencited scrivener, I, outspode."
m...@vex.net --Jonathan Buss

Mark Brader

Feb 24, 2018, 7:12:31 PM2/24/18
Mark Brader:
> ...so I ended up missing most of it.

But it was rebroadcast today and Cathy recorded it, so I got to see
the key 8th end.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What do I do for fun? Knit. And pet cats.
m...@vex.net | I'm hopelessly stereotypical." --Margaret Miles

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 25, 2018, 12:43:47 AM2/25/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> PS Sorry I was late. I was watching the US curling team win a gold medal.

Thankfully, I didn't notice that PS when I saw the post in the morning -
saved me from having the whole day ruined. :-) (And given how good this
summer day have been, I guess I can live with that.)

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2018, 12:46:40 AM2/25/18
Dan Tilque:
> > PS Sorry I was late. I was watching the US curling team win a gold medal.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Thankfully, I didn't notice that PS when I saw the post in the morning -
> saved me from having the whole day ruined. :-)

And have you seen the women's final?
--
Mark Brader | "...it's always easier to see the mud when it's
Toronto | coming toward your side rather than from your side."

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 25, 2018, 3:28:41 AM2/25/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Thankfully, I didn't notice that PS when I saw the post in the morning -
>> saved me from having the whole day ruined. :-)
>
> And have you seen the women's final?

I did peek in on Aftonbladet's web site when I was at dinner. I have
always said that when it comes to curling, women do it a lot better.

Dan Tilque

Feb 25, 2018, 12:37:21 PM2/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>> ...so I ended up missing most of it.

My wake-sleep cycle has been highly irregular lately, but I've finally
gotten it to the point where it jives with most other people's. So I
missed the live broadcast (which started at 10:30 p.m. here) but watched
it the next morning on rerun.

> But it was rebroadcast today and Cathy recorded it, so I got to see
> the key 8th end.

I didn't know they could score 5 points in one end. I've never seen
anyone get more than three.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 26, 2018, 2:07:12 AM2/26/18
Dan Tilque:
> I didn't know they could score 5 points in one end. I've never seen
> anyone get more than three.

It's certainly an unusual thing to happen in in a gold-medal game.
If the details in Wikipedia are correct, since curling began an
Olympic sport again in 1998 there've only been two other gold-medal
games where anyone scored more than 3 in an end -- both Canadian
teams.

* In this year's mixed doubles competition, Lawes and Morris got a
4 in the 3rd end of the gold-medal game; and since doubles only
has 6 rocks per side per end (one manually placed and 5 shots),
that's 4 out of a maximum 6#, not 8 as in the regular game.

* And in 2006 in the men's tournament, Brad Gushue's team scored
no less than 6 on the 6th end of the gold-medal game -- despite
missing their shot with their last rock!

# - Incidentally, that maximum 6 has already occurred in Olympic
play, though not in a medal game. On February 9, the Swiss team of
Perret and Rios was down 4-3 to the US team going into the last end,
but won the game 9-3.
--
Mark Brader "The routes 'London' and 'not London' are
Toronto not necessarily mutually exclusive."

Gareth Owen

Feb 26, 2018, 3:17:24 PM2/26/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> writes:

> Dan Tilque:
>> I didn't know they could score 5 points in one end. I've never seen
>> anyone get more than three.
>
> It's certainly an unusual thing to happen in in a gold-medal game.

It is an unusual occurence ... but weirdly it was the defining event in
the play-off game which put the Swiss Men into the semis (at the expense
of the Brits) just a few days earlier.

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 5, 2018, 12:17:48 PM3/5/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> Mark Brader wrote:
>> Dan T. didn't specify a tiebreaker criterion, just "usual rules".
>> If the first tiebreaker is hardest questions and it's computed
>> numerically the same way "Calvin" does it on his contests, then
>> I make it that Dan B. has a 19, and since lower is better, he's
>> beaten by both Peter and Erland, tied at 18.
>>
>> Peter was the first to post, so if that's the second tiebreaker,
>> then it's Peter who wins.
>>
>> Dan T., can you please confirm or correct this, as applicable?
>
> Confirm. Your summary is exactly right. So it's over to Peter.

Peter Smyth are you there?

Dan Tilque

Mar 5, 2018, 12:18:32 PM3/5/18
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Peter Smyth are you there?

I sent him email yesterday, but haven't heard back.

--
Dan Tilque