QFTCIWSS Game 10, Rounds 4-6: translations, Fantasia, TO churches

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2018, 3:04:18 AM12/2/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation

Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
is the actual title in English.

1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
title.

3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
and suggested some alternates.

5. Chinese: "Excitement 1995". Better known as a movie starring
Tim Robbins, this short story by Stephen King definitely lost
something in translation. The Chinese title bears no resemblance
to the original title or the plot. Note: we need the title of
the story itself, not the collection containing it.

6. Italian: "If You Leave Me, I Delete You". This was supposed
to be a literature round, but a movie seems to have slipped in --
it stars Jim Carrey and explores lost memories and lost love.

7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
It was adapted into a massive hit film.

8. Norwegian: "Bridge to the Afterlife". The translated title
actually serves to spoil the ending of this 1977 Katherine
Paterson novel about children creating a kingdom of imagination.

9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
different title than the English title you probably recognize.

10. Cantonese: "Imaginary Dead Baseball Players Live in My
Cornfield". An impressively literal title for the translated
edition of W.P. Kinsella's 1982 novel that was also the source
for the movie "Field of Dreams". But this time we do need the
book title.

* Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - "Fantasia"

One more time, an audio round without the audio.

Walt Disney's "Fantasia", and its sequel "Fantasia 2000", feature
animated cartoon sequences set entirely to selections from classical
orchestral music.

For questions #1-4, we'll give you the title and composer of the work
that was played during a scene (and in the original game you would
have heard a clip as well), and you give the number of the scene
on the 2-page handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-5/fanta.pdf

Note that all numbers are *below* the illustrations.

1. "Dance of the Hours" by Amilcare Ponchielli.
2. "The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky.
3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.
4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.

5. Vzntr ahzore fvk vf sebz n fprar jurer Qbanyq Qhpx erranpgf
gur fgbel bs Abnu'f Nex.

6. Vzntr bar vf sebz n fprar qrcvpgvat ahzrebhf frdhraprf fpberq
gb guvf pbzcbfre'f zhfvp.

7. Gur frpbaq vzntr vf sebz gur bcravat frdhrapr bs "Snagnfvn",
juvpu jnf na nofgenpg cvrpr bs navzngvba.

8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.

Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
*music* used in the scene.

9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
-- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.

This time I have no information about the two decoys.

* Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship

Toronto has many glorious and gorgeous places of worship: churches,
synagogues, temples, mosques, and many others.

1. This synagogue, located at 1700 Bathurst St., is the
largest Conservative Jewish congregation in North America,
with approximately 6,000 members. What is its name?

2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
St. Volodymyr's serve?

3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

4. This church at 230 St. Clair Av. W. was established in 1914
as a Methodist congregation, but is now part of the United Church
of Canada. It is named after an Irish-born Toronto businessman.

5. St. Anne's Anglican Church is a National Historic Site and was
established on Dufferin St. in 1863. While the parish hall
is still on Dufferin, the current church, noted for its
Byzantine-inspired design, and interior murals painted by
members of the Group of Seven, is one block away. On what
west-end avenue would you find St. Anne's?

6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
as a temple?

7. One of the Danforth's most impressive architectural landmarks,
this Catholic church was designed to resemble Rome's Basilica di
Santa Maria Maggiore. A Catholic elementary school with the same
moniker is around the corner on Carlaw Av. What is it called?

8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
have finished with the rest of the round.

9. Guvf onfvyvpn ybpngrq ng 83 Cbjre Fg. vf gur byqrfg Ebzna
Pngubyvp cnevfu va Gbebagb, rfgnoyvfurq va 1822. Gur bevtvany
erq-oevpx fgehpgher jnf ercynprq va 1889 ol gur pheerag
Vgnyvnangr ohvyqvat qrfvtarq ol nepuvgrpg Wbfrcu Pbaaryyl.
Anzr vg.

10. Guvf puhepu'f uvfgbel qngrf gb 1820. Gung fgehpgher jnf
qrfgeblrq ol sver va 1847, naq gurl erohvyg ba gur fnzr ybg.
Jura gung ohvyqvat jnf frireryl qnzntrq ol nabgure sver va 1895,
gurl erybpngrq gb 630 Fcnqvan Ni., jurer freivprf unir gnxra
cynpr fvapr 1909. Jung vf vgf anzr?

--
Mark Brader | "Which baby is that? Oh, of course -- it must be
Toronto | the one that comes complete with bathwater."

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 2, 2018, 5:02:25 AM12/2/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

Am I supposed to know this? Well, the translation back to Swedish does
not ring a bell at all, but I give it a shot with "The Great Gatsby".

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

"Animal Farm"

> 9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
> Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
> different title than the English title you probably recognize.

I guess I'm supposed to know this as well. Well, this time I do
recognize the Swedish title :-), and I am quite sure that I've seen the
English title in some context, but I have not paid that much attention.
I have not read the books, nor seen any of the movies made out of
them.

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - "Fantasia"
>
> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

I don't the Fantasia movies, so I have no idea. But chance has it
that I'm listening to the Eroica right now, so I go with that.

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.

"Pictures at an Exhibition"

Dan Blum

Dec 2, 2018, 11:10:02 AM12/2/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation

> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

The Great Gatsby

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

Brave New World

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

The Grapes of Wrath

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

Animal Farm

> 6. Italian: "If You Leave Me, I Delete You". This was supposed
> to be a literature round, but a movie seems to have slipped in --
> it stars Jim Carrey and explores lost memories and lost love.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

> 7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
> This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
> of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
> It was adapted into a massive hit film.

The World in Our Stars

> 8. Norwegian: "Bridge to the Afterlife". The translated title
> actually serves to spoil the ending of this 1977 Katherine
> Paterson novel about children creating a kingdom of imagination.

Bridge to Terabithia

> 9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
> Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
> different title than the English title you probably recognize.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - "Fantasia"

> 1. "Dance of the Hours" by Amilcare Ponchielli.

11; 12

> 2. "The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky.

9; 1

> 3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.

3; 10

> 4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

4; 12

> 5. Vzntr ahzore fvk vf sebz n fprar jurer Qbanyq Qhpx erranpgf
> gur fgbel bs Abnu'f Nex.

Tschaikovsky; Wagner

> 6. Vzntr bar vf sebz n fprar qrcvpgvat ahzrebhf frdhraprf fpberq
> gb guvf pbzcbfre'f zhfvp.

Beethoven; Mozart

> 7. Gur frpbaq vzntr vf sebz gur bcravat frdhrapr bs "Snagnfvn",
> juvpu jnf na nofgenpg cvrpr bs navzngvba.

Mozart; Haydn

> 8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.

Copeland

> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

Pastorale

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.

Night on Bald Mountain

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship

> 2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
> designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
> Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
> St. Volodymyr's serve?

Greece; Ukraine

> 3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
> for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
> oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
> 10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

1680; 1720

> 6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
> building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
> United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
> bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
> as a temple?

Baha'i; Mormons

> 8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
> Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
> 18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
> carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
> The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Sikh; Jain

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 2, 2018, 8:38:28 PM12/2/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_fydnToc8uJgDJ7BnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation
>
> Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
> sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
> as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
> translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
> and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
> is the actual title in English.
>
> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

"The Great Gatsby"

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

"Brave New World"

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

"The Grapes of Wrath"

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

"Animal Farm"

> 5. Chinese: "Excitement 1995". Better known as a movie starring
> Tim Robbins, this short story by Stephen King definitely lost
> something in translation. The Chinese title bears no resemblance
> to the original title or the plot. Note: we need the title of
> the story itself, not the collection containing it.

"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"

> 6. Italian: "If You Leave Me, I Delete You". This was supposed
> to be a literature round, but a movie seems to have slipped in --
> it stars Jim Carrey and explores lost memories and lost love.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

> 8. Norwegian: "Bridge to the Afterlife". The translated title
> actually serves to spoil the ending of this 1977 Katherine
> Paterson novel about children creating a kingdom of imagination.

"Bridge to Terebithia"

> 9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
> Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
> different title than the English title you probably recognize.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

> 10. Cantonese: "Imaginary Dead Baseball Players Live in My
> Cornfield". An impressively literal title for the translated
> edition of W.P. Kinsella's 1982 novel that was also the source
> for the movie "Field of Dreams". But this time we do need the
> book title.

"Shoeless Joe"

4

> 2. "The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky.

10

> 3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.

1; 3

> 4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

12

> Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
> name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.
>
> 8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.

Gershwin

> Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
> *music* used in the scene.
>
> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

"Pastoral Symphony"

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.

"Night on Bald Mountain"

#8 is "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Paul Dukas.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship
>
> Toronto has many glorious and gorgeous places of worship: churches,
> synagogues, temples, mosques, and many others.
>
> 1. This synagogue, located at 1700 Bathurst St., is the
> largest Conservative Jewish congregation in North America,
> with approximately 6,000 members. What is its name?

Beth Shalom

> 2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
> designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
> Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
> St. Volodymyr's serve?

Ukraine

> 3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
> for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
> oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
> 10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

1823; 1802

> 6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
> building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
> United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
> bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
> as a temple?

Sikhs; Hindus

> 8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
> Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
> 18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
> carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
> The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Hinduism; Sikhism

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Dec 3, 2018, 7:11:49 PM12/3/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_fydnToc8uJgDJ7BnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation
>
> Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
> sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
> as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
> translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
> and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
> is the actual title in English.
>
> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

The Great Gatsby

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

Brave New World

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

Grapes of Wrath

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

Animal Farm

> 5. Chinese: "Excitement 1995". Better known as a movie starring
> Tim Robbins, this short story by Stephen King definitely lost
> something in translation. The Chinese title bears no resemblance
> to the original title or the plot. Note: we need the title of
> the story itself, not the collection containing it.

The Shawshank Redemption

5

> 3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.

3; 12

> 4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

12; 7

> Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
> name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.
>
> 5. Vzntr ahzore fvk vf sebz n fprar jurer Qbanyq Qhpx erranpgf
> gur fgbel bs Abnu'f Nex.

Grofe

> 6. Vzntr bar vf sebz n fprar qrcvpgvat ahzrebhf frdhraprf fpberq
> gb guvf pbzcbfre'f zhfvp.

Tchaikovsky

> 7. Gur frpbaq vzntr vf sebz gur bcravat frdhrapr bs "Snagnfvn",
> juvpu jnf na nofgenpg cvrpr bs navzngvba.

J. S. Bach

> 8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.

Gershwin

> Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
> *music* used in the scene.
>
> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

Pastoral

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.

Night on Bald Mountain

> This time I have no information about the two decoys.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship
>
> Toronto has many glorious and gorgeous places of worship: churches,
> synagogues, temples, mosques, and many others.
>
> 1. This synagogue, located at 1700 Bathurst St., is the
> largest Conservative Jewish congregation in North America,
> with approximately 6,000 members. What is its name?
>
> 2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
> designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
> Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
> St. Volodymyr's serve?

Ukrainian; Russian

> 3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
> for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
> oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
> 10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

1740; 1761

> 4. This church at 230 St. Clair Av. W. was established in 1914
> as a Methodist congregation, but is now part of the United Church
> of Canada. It is named after an Irish-born Toronto businessman.
>
> 5. St. Anne's Anglican Church is a National Historic Site and was
> established on Dufferin St. in 1863. While the parish hall
> is still on Dufferin, the current church, noted for its
> Byzantine-inspired design, and interior murals painted by
> members of the Group of Seven, is one block away. On what
> west-end avenue would you find St. Anne's?
>
> 6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
> building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
> United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
> bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
> as a temple?
>
> 7. One of the Danforth's most impressive architectural landmarks,
> this Catholic church was designed to resemble Rome's Basilica di
> Santa Maria Maggiore. A Catholic elementary school with the same
> moniker is around the corner on Carlaw Av. What is it called?
>
> 8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
> Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
> 18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
> carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
> The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Sikh

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with the rest of the round.
>
> 9. Guvf onfvyvpn ybpngrq ng 83 Cbjre Fg. vf gur byqrfg Ebzna
> Pngubyvp cnevfu va Gbebagb, rfgnoyvfurq va 1822. Gur bevtvany
> erq-oevpx fgehpgher jnf ercynprq va 1889 ol gur pheerag
> Vgnyvnangr ohvyqvat qrfvtarq ol nepuvgrpg Wbfrcu Pbaaryyl.
> Anzr vg.
>
> 10. Guvf puhepu'f uvfgbel qngrf gb 1820. Gung fgehpgher jnf
> qrfgeblrq ol sver va 1847, naq gurl erohvyg ba gur fnzr ybg.
> Jura gung ohvyqvat jnf frireryl qnzntrq ol nabgure sver va 1895,
> gurl erybpngrq gb 630 Fcnqvan Ni., jurer freivprf unir gnxra
> cynpr fvapr 1909. Jung vf vgf anzr?

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Dec 4, 2018, 10:49:08 PM12/4/18
On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 6:04:18 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation
>
> Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
> sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
> as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
> translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
> and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
> is the actual title in English.
>
> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

The Great Gatsby

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

All Quiet on the Western Front?

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

Gone with the Wind

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

Brideshead Revisited?

> 5. Chinese: "Excitement 1995". Better known as a movie starring
> Tim Robbins, this short story by Stephen King definitely lost
> something in translation. The Chinese title bears no resemblance
> to the original title or the plot. Note: we need the title of
> the story itself, not the collection containing it.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

> 6. Italian: "If You Leave Me, I Delete You". This was supposed
> to be a literature round, but a movie seems to have slipped in --
> it stars Jim Carrey and explores lost memories and lost love.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show

> 7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
> This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
> of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
> It was adapted into a massive hit film.
>
> 8. Norwegian: "Bridge to the Afterlife". The translated title
> actually serves to spoil the ending of this 1977 Katherine
> Paterson novel about children creating a kingdom of imagination.
>
> 9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
> Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
> different title than the English title you probably recognize.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

> 10. Cantonese: "Imaginary Dead Baseball Players Live in My
> Cornfield". An impressively literal title for the translated
> edition of W.P. Kinsella's 1982 novel that was also the source
> for the movie "Field of Dreams". But this time we do need the
> book title.

No idea

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - "Fantasia"
>

> 1. "Dance of the Hours" by Amilcare Ponchielli.
> 2. "The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky.
> 3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.
> 4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

12, 3

> Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
> name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.
>
> 5. Vzntr ahzore fvk vf sebz n fprar jurer Qbanyq Qhpx erranpgf
> gur fgbel bs Abnu'f Nex.
>
> 6. Vzntr bar vf sebz n fprar qrcvpgvat ahzrebhf frdhraprf fpberq
> gb guvf pbzcbfre'f zhfvp.
>
> 7. Gur frpbaq vzntr vf sebz gur bcravat frdhrapr bs "Snagnfvn",
> juvpu jnf na nofgenpg cvrpr bs navzngvba.
>
> 8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.
>
> Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
> *music* used in the scene.
>
> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

Pastoral, Choral

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.
>
> This time I have no information about the two decoys.

I believe #8 is The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship

No thanks.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 5, 2018, 2:21:24 PM12/5/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation
>
> Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
> sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
> as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
> translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
> and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
> is the actual title in English.
>
> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

The Great Gatsby

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

Brave New World

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

The Grapes of Wrath

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

Animal Farm
4

> 3. "The Pines of Rome" by Ottorino Respighi.
> 4. "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens.

12

> Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
> name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.
>
> 5. Vzntr ahzore fvk vf sebz n fprar jurer Qbanyq Qhpx erranpgf

> gur fgbel bs Abnu'f Nex.
>
> 6. Vzntr bar vf sebz n fprar qrcvpgvat ahzrebhf frdhraprf fpberq
> gb guvf pbzcbfre'f zhfvp.
>
> 7. Gur frpbaq vzntr vf sebz gur bcravat frdhrapr bs "Snagnfvn",
> juvpu jnf na nofgenpg cvrpr bs navzngvba.
>
> 8. Vzntr frira qrcvpgf gur uhfgyr naq ohfgyr bs Arj Lbex Pvgl.
>
> Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
> *music* used in the scene.
>
> 9. Frireny bs Orrgubira'f flzcubavrf unir avpxanzrf nf jryy nf
> ahzoref. Gur avagu vzntr vf sebz n fprar fpberq gb bar bs gurz.
> Jung vf gung avpxanzr?

Eroica

> 10. Vzntr svir qrcvpgf gur svany frdhrapr va gur bevtvany "Snagnfvn"
> -- n qrzba njnxravat ng avtug gb jernx unibp. Vg jnf fpberq
> gb n snzbhf cvrpr bs zhfvp ol Zbqrfg Zhffbetfxl. Anzr gur cvrpr.
>
> This time I have no information about the two decoys.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship
>
> Toronto has many glorious and gorgeous places of worship: churches,
> synagogues, temples, mosques, and many others.
>
> 1. This synagogue, located at 1700 Bathurst St., is the
> largest Conservative Jewish congregation in North America,
> with approximately 6,000 members. What is its name?
>
> 2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
> designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
> Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
> St. Volodymyr's serve?
>
> 3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
> for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
> oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
> 10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

1789

> 4. This church at 230 St. Clair Av. W. was established in 1914
> as a Methodist congregation, but is now part of the United Church
> of Canada. It is named after an Irish-born Toronto businessman.
>
> 5. St. Anne's Anglican Church is a National Historic Site and was
> established on Dufferin St. in 1863. While the parish hall
> is still on Dufferin, the current church, noted for its
> Byzantine-inspired design, and interior murals painted by
> members of the Group of Seven, is one block away. On what
> west-end avenue would you find St. Anne's?
>
> 6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
> building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
> United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
> bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
> as a temple?

Mormons

> 7. One of the Danforth's most impressive architectural landmarks,
> this Catholic church was designed to resemble Rome's Basilica di
> Santa Maria Maggiore. A Catholic elementary school with the same
> moniker is around the corner on Carlaw Av. What is it called?
>
> 8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
> Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
> 18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
> carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
> The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Sikhism

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with the rest of the round.
>
> 9. Guvf onfvyvpn ybpngrq ng 83 Cbjre Fg. vf gur byqrfg Ebzna
> Pngubyvp cnevfu va Gbebagb, rfgnoyvfurq va 1822. Gur bevtvany
> erq-oevpx fgehpgher jnf ercynprq va 1889 ol gur pheerag
> Vgnyvnangr ohvyqvat qrfvtarq ol nepuvgrpg Wbfrcu Pbaaryyl.
> Anzr vg.
>
> 10. Guvf puhepu'f uvfgbel qngrf gb 1820. Gung fgehpgher jnf
> qrfgeblrq ol sver va 1847, naq gurl erohvyg ba gur fnzr ybg.
> Jura gung ohvyqvat jnf frireryl qnzntrq ol nabgure sver va 1895,
> gurl erybpngrq gb 630 Fcnqvan Ni., jurer freivprf unir gnxra
> cynpr fvapr 1909. Jung vf vgf anzr?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 6, 2018, 6:01:18 AM12/6/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-30,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Literature - Lost in Translation

> Often, successful books are translated into many languages. But
> sometimes the translated title of the book is not quite the same
> as the original title. We'll give you the language the book was
> translated into, and the English equivalent of the translated title,
> and a brief description of the book, and all you need to tell us
> is the actual title in English.

And this was the second-easiest round in the original game and in
the entire season.

> 1. Swedish: "A Man without Scruples". This American classic was
> published in 1925 and tells the tale of an extremely wealthy
> man who is "unscrupulous" in his romantic pursuits.

"The Great Gatsby" (by F. Scott Fitzgerald). 4 for everyone --
Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. French: "The Best of All Worlds". The content of this dystopian
> novel, published in 1932, is not reflected in the upbeat French
> title.

"Brave New World" (by Aldous Huxley). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

This novel was also the answer to "Final Jeopardy!" on 2018-07-20,
10 days before the original game.

> 3. Japanese: "The Angry Raisins". This title is a far cry from
> the actual meaning of this 1939 American classic.

"The Grapes of Wrath" (by John Steinbeck). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. French: "Animals Everywhere!" Not surprisingly, the English
> author was not happy with this translation of his 1945 novel
> and suggested some alternates.

"Animal Farm" (by George Orwell). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Chinese: "Excitement 1995". Better known as a movie starring
> Tim Robbins, this short story by Stephen King definitely lost
> something in translation. The Chinese title bears no resemblance
> to the original title or the plot. Note: we need the title of
> the story itself, not the collection containing it.

"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption". (The last part, which
was the movie title, was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 6. Italian: "If You Leave Me, I Delete You". This was supposed
> to be a literature round, but a movie seems to have slipped in --
> it stars Jim Carrey and explores lost memories and lost love.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (written by Charlie Kaufman).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 3 for Calvin.

In the original game the question said this was a book that was
"better known" as a movie starring Carrey. There is a book (by
Christopher Grau) with the same title as the movie, but it's about
the philosophical implications of the movie and does not seem to
have been translated into Italian.

> 7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
> This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
> of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
> It was adapted into a massive hit film.

"The Fault in our Stars". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Norwegian: "Bridge to the Afterlife". The translated title
> actually serves to spoil the ending of this 1977 Katherine
> Paterson novel about children creating a kingdom of imagination.

"Bridge to Terabithia". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Swedish: "Men Who Hate Women". The original Swedish title of
> Stieg Larsson's first book in his famous trilogy had a remarkably
> different title than the English title you probably recognize.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Calvin.

> 10. Cantonese: "Imaginary Dead Baseball Players Live in My
> Cornfield". An impressively literal title for the translated
> edition of W.P. Kinsella's 1982 novel that was also the source
> for the movie "Field of Dreams". But this time we do need the
> book title.

"Shoeless Joe". 4 for Joshua.

And "Shoeless" Joe Jackson was the answer to a question on "Jeopardy!"
on Tuesday. It was a $400 question and was answered on the first try.

#4. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

#10. 4 for Joshua.

#3. 3 for Dan Blum and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

#12. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete and Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> Please decode the rot13 for questions #5-8 and in each case,
> name the *composer* of the music for the indicated scene.

> 5. Image number six is from a scene where Donald Duck reenacts
> the story of Noah's Ark.

Edward Elgar. ("Pomp and Circumstance".)

> 6. Image one is from a scene depicting numerous sequences scored
> to this composer's music.

Pyotr Tchaikovsky. ("Waltz of the Flowers" from "The Nutcracker".)
4 for Pete.

> 7. The second image is from the opening sequence of "Fantasia",
> which was an abstract piece of animation.

Johann S. Bach ("Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"). 4 for Pete.

> 8. Image seven depicts the hustle and bustle of New York City.

George Gershwin. The surname was sufficient. ("Rhapsody In Blue".)
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> Now for questions #9-10, please decode the rot13 and name the
> *music* used in the scene.

> 9. Several of Beethoven's symphonies have nicknames as well as
> numbers. The ninth image is from a scene scored to one of them.
> What is that nickname?

Pastoral. (Beethoven's 6th.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

> 10. Image five depicts the final sequence in the original "Fantasia"
> -- a demon awakening at night to wreak havoc. It was scored
> to a famous piece of music by Modest Mussorgsky. Name the piece.

"Night on Bald Mountain". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> This time I have no information about the two decoys.

Joshua and Calvin identified the music for #8 as "The Sorcerer's
Apprentice" by Paul Dukas, which I'm sure is correct.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Toronto Places of Worship

> Toronto has many glorious and gorgeous places of worship: churches,
> synagogues, temples, mosques, and many others.

> 1. This synagogue, located at 1700 Bathurst St., is the
> largest Conservative Jewish congregation in North America,
> with approximately 6,000 members. What is its name?

Beth Tzedec.

> 2. Also located on Bathurst St. is St. Volodymyr's Cathedral,
> designed in the Byzantine style, and completed in 1948.
> Which *country*'s Canadian branch of Orthodox Christianity does
> St. Volodymyr's serve?

Ukraine. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. The Cathedral Church of St. James at King and Church Sts. opened
> for services in June 1853. An Anglican parish, it is home to the
> oldest congregation in the city. (Hence "Church St."!) Within
> 10 years, when was the parish of St. James first established?

1797 (accepting 1787-1807). 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 4. This church at 230 St. Clair Av. W. was established in 1914
> as a Methodist congregation, but is now part of the United Church
> of Canada. It is named after an Irish-born Toronto businessman.

Timothy Eaton Memorial Church.

> 5. St. Anne's Anglican Church is a National Historic Site and was
> established on Dufferin St. in 1863. While the parish hall
> is still on Dufferin, the current church, noted for its
> Byzantine-inspired design, and interior murals painted by
> members of the Group of Seven, is one block away. On what
> west-end avenue would you find St. Anne's?

Gladstone Av.

> 6. Located at 234 Avenue Rd. (at Roxborough Av.), this imposing
> building was first a Presbyterian church, then the Avenue Rd.
> United Church, and later the Church of the Nazarene, before
> bring purchased by *which religious group* that it now serves
> as a temple?

Hare Krishna.

> 7. One of the Danforth's most impressive architectural landmarks,
> this Catholic church was designed to resemble Rome's Basilica di
> Santa Maria Maggiore. A Catholic elementary school with the same
> moniker is around the corner on Carlaw Av. What is it called?

Church of the Holy Name.

> 8. The Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, located near Finch Av. and
> Highway 427, was consecrated in July 2007. It was built in
> 18 months and consists of 24,000 pieces of hand-carved Italian
> carrara marble, Turkish limestone, and Indian pink stone.
> The mandir is a traditional place of worship for *what religion*?

Hinduism. 3 for Joshua.

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with the rest of the round.

As they mentioned dates before 1853, they were partial spoilers
for #3.

> 9. This basilica located at 83 Power St. is the oldest Roman
> Catholic parish in Toronto, established in 1822. The original
> red-brick structure was replaced in 1889 by the current
> Italianate building designed by architect Joseph Connelly.
> Name it.

St. Paul's.

> 10. This church's history dates to 1820. That structure was
> destroyed by fire in 1847, and they rebuilt on the same lot.
> When that building was severely damaged by another fire in 1895,
> they relocated to 630 Spadina Av., where services have taken
> place since 1909. What is its name?

Knox Presbyterian.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lei Lit Aud Can THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 24 27 36 26 9 89
Dan Blum 20 35 32 13 2 87
Pete Gayde 19 32 24 30 3 86
Dan Tilque 20 32 16 4 4 68
Erland Sommarskog 20 28 8 0 0 56
"Calvin" -- -- 15 6 0 21

--
Mark Brader "Outside of nearly having two head-on collisions,
m...@vex.net we found driving in England to be fairly easy."

Dan Blum

Dec 6, 2018, 9:42:04 AM12/6/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
> > This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
> > of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
> > It was adapted into a massive hit film.

> "The Fault in our Stars". 4 for Dan Blum.

I actually said "The World in our Stars."

Mark Brader

Dec 6, 2018, 1:44:55 PM12/6/18
Mark Brader:
> > > 7. Macedonian: "The World is Not a Factory for Fulfilling Wishes".
> > > This 2012 bestselling novel by John Green tells the story
> > > of a young cancer patient falling in love with an amputee.
> > > It was adapted into a massive hit film.
>
> > "The Fault in our Stars". 4 for Dan Blum.

Dan Blum:
> I actually said "The World in our Stars."

3, then.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lei Lit Aud Can THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 24 27 36 26 9 89
Dan Blum 20 35 31 13 2 86
Pete Gayde 19 32 24 30 3 86
Dan Tilque 20 32 16 4 4 68
Erland Sommarskog 20 28 8 0 0 56
"Calvin" -- -- 15 6 0 21

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If gravity stops working, a power cut is
m...@vex.net | the least of your problems." -- David Bell

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 6, 2018, 11:44:01 PM12/6/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:F-GdnbbdiNHlnJTBnZ2dnUU7-
IXN...@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
>
>> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - "Fantasia"
>>
>> One more time, an audio round without the audio.
>>
>> Walt Disney's "Fantasia", and its sequel "Fantasia 2000", feature
>> animated cartoon sequences set entirely to selections from classical
>> orchestral music.
>>
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-5/fanta.pdf
>>
>> This time I have no information about the two decoys.
>
> Joshua and Calvin identified the music for #8 as "The Sorcerer's
> Apprentice" by Paul Dukas, which I'm sure is correct.

For the record, the music for the other decoy, #11, with the toy soldier
and ballerina, was Piano Concerto No. 2 by Dmitri Shostakovich. (I didn't
remember that segment from "Fantasia 2000" and had to look it up after the
answers were posted.)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Dec 7, 2018, 1:09:07 AM12/7/18
Mark Brader:
>>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-5/fanta.pdf

Joshua Kreitzer:
> For the record, the music for the other decoy, #11, with the toy soldier
> and ballerina, was Piano Concerto No. 2 by Dmitri Shostakovich. (I didn't
> remember that segment from "Fantasia 2000" and had to look it up after the
> answers were posted.)

Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The cure of the typo has struck again."
m...@vex.net --Peter Young