QFTCI16 Final, Round 3: Geography

Mark Brader

Nov 4, 2016, 3:30:56 AM11/4/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote 4 triples in this round.

** Final, Round 3 -- Geography

* A. International Organizations

A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
Uruguay, Venezuela.

* B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations

Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.

B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).
B2. The Denali Fault.
B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).

* C. Land's Ends

C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
which *county* of England is it located?

C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
*country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
which includes the westernmost point of the country's
mainland?

* D. Ontario City Maps

In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
are intact. In each case name the city.

D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png
D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png
D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png

* E. Named after Rivers

E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
Name the state.

E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

* F. Skewed Map Outlines

We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
where it is.

F1. This one is in Europe:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

F2. This country is in east Africa:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

F3. Name this east Asian country:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

--
Mark Brader | "Grammar am for people who can't think for *myself*.
Toronto | Understanded me?"

Peter Smyth

Nov 4, 2016, 6:04:13 AM11/4/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

UN Security Council

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

CARICOM

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations
>
> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name both Canadian provinces/territories.
>
> B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).
> B2. The Denali Fault.
> B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).
>

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which county of England is it located?
Cornwall
> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what city of California?
San Francisco
> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> country is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?
Spain, Portugal

> * D. Ontario City Maps
>
> In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
> of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
> them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
> are intact. In each case name the city.
>
> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png
> D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png
> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png
>

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?
The Gambia
> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.
Colorado
> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.
>

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png
Switzerland, Austria
> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png
Kenya, Uganda
> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png
Laos, Vietnam

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Nov 4, 2016, 10:20:43 AM11/4/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography

> * A. International Organizations

> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

United Nations Security Council

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations

> B2. The Denali Fault.

Nunavut and Yukon

> * C. Land's Ends

> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Devon

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Francisco; San Diego

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

Italy; France

> * D. Ontario City Maps

> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png

Waterloo

> D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png

London; Brampton

> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png

Brampton; London

> * E. Named after Rivers

> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

India

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines

> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Sweden

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Somalia

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Laos; Thailand

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 4, 2016, 12:03:53 PM11/4/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

UN Security Council

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

OAS

> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Cornwall

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

France
Waterloo

> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png

Waterloo

> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

India

> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Finland

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Eritrea

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Vietnam

Pete

Nov 4, 2016, 6:32:21 PM11/4/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OaSdnQnx_bq2pIHFnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

OECD

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

OAS

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations
>
> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.
>
> B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).
> B2. The Denali Fault.

Yukon and BC

> B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).
>

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Cornwall

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Francisco

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

Argentina; Chile

> * D. Ontario City Maps
>
> In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
> of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
> them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
> are intact. In each case name the city.
>
> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png
> D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png

Niagara Falls

> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png

Sault Ste. Marie

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

The Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.
>

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Liechtenstein

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Djibouti; Eritrea

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Nepal

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 4, 2016, 9:05:18 PM11/4/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OaSdnQnx_bq2pIHFnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

United Nations Security Council

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

Organization of American States

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations
>
> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.
>
> B2. The Denali Fault.

Yukon and Northwest Territories;
Yukon and British Columbia

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Cornwall

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Francisco

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

Portugal; Spain

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

India

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Finland

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Eritrea

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Laos

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 5, 2016, 3:57:40 AM11/5/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

UN Security Council

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

Organization of American States

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations
>
> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.
>
> B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).

Quebec and Newfoundand and Labrador

> B2. The Denali Fault.

Yukon and BC

> B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).

Manitoba and Saskatchewan

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Cornwall

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Francisco

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

Portugal

> * D. Ontario City Maps
>
> In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
> of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
> them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
> are intact. In each case name the city.
>
> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png

London
Kingston

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

The Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

India

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Austria

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Eritrea

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Laos

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Nov 5, 2016, 8:41:18 AM11/5/16
On 2016-11-04 08:30, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

Nato

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Sussex

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Fransisco

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?
Argentina

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

Togo;Benin

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Finland

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Eritrea

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png
Laos

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 6, 2016, 3:36:41 AM11/6/16
In article <OaSdnQnx_bq2pIHF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.
>
> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.
NATO

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.
Organization of American States (OAS)

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations
>
> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.
>
> B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).
> B2. The Denali Fault.
Yukon & Alaska

> B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).
>

> * C. Land's Ends
>
> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?
>
> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?
San Francisco

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?
>

> * D. Ontario City Maps
>
> In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
> of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
> them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
> are intact. In each case name the city.
>
> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png
> D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png
> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png
>

> * E. Named after Rivers
>
> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?
Gambia

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.
Colorado

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.
India

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines
>
> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.
>
> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png
Slovakia

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png
>
> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png
Cambodia

Mark Brader

Nov 7, 2016, 12:01:59 AM11/7/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.

I wrote A, C, D, and E.

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography

> * A. International Organizations

> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.

United Nations (UN) Security Council. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.

North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). 4 for everyone -- Peter,
Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Björn, and Marc.

> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.

Organization of American States (OAS). 4 for Erland, Pete, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> * B. Cross-Border Canadian Locations

> Each of these geographical or geological features has parts in
> two Canadian provinces or territories, and possibly in the US.
> In all cases, name *both* Canadian provinces/territories.

> B1. Mount Caubvick (the highest peak in the Torngat Mountains).

Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> B2. The Denali Fault.

British Columbia, Yukon. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Alaska is not a Canadian province or territory, y'know?

> B3. Cypress Hills (and the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park).

Alberta, Saskatchewan.

> * C. Land's Ends

> C1. In England, Land's End is spelled with an apostrophe.
> Once you get out of the parking lot and past the array
> of tourist traps -- excuse us, tourist attractions -- you
> will find a walking trail and beautiful coastal scenery.
> Land's End is the westernmost point of England, but in
> which *county* of England is it located?

Cornwall. 4 for Peter, Erland, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. In California, Lands End is spelled with no apostrophe.
> In the olden days you could take a steam train on the
> Ferries and Cliff House Railroad to reach an array of
> tourist attractions owned by Adolph Sutro, and see the
> beautiful coastal scenery too. Today the former rail route
> is a National Park Service walking trail. This Lands End
> is the westernmost point of what *city* of California?

San Francisco. 4 for Peter, Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Björn,
and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> C3. In Latin, Land's End would be "Finis Terrae". In what
> *country* is what's known in English as Cape Finisterre,
> which includes the westernmost point of the country's
> mainland?

Spain. 3 for Peter. 2 for Joshua.

> * D. Ontario City Maps

> In this triple we present sections of city insets from the Ministry
> of Transportation's Official Road Map of Ontario. We have cropped
> them and removed the city names if shown, but otherwise they
> are intact. In each case name the city.

> D1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d1.png

Kitchener and Waterloo (accepting either). 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

Waterloo, where I went to university, is at top left; the boundary
between the cities is faintly marked, e.g. just north of Glasgow St.

Note incidentally that Victoria St. in Kitchener (like some others
not shown on the map) consists of "North" and "South" sections
but is essentially parallel to streets in Waterloo with "East" and
and "West" sections. The map doesn't show it, but King and Weber Sts.
each have "North", "South", "West", *and* "East" sections -- in
that order, the South/West transition being at the K/W city limit.
For King this is sort of justified by the curve near the city limit;
for Weber, not so much.

> D2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d2.png

Niagara Falls. 4 for Pete and Dan Tilque.

The two river-border crossings might have been a hint. By the way,
these days one of them -- the north one, the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge
-- is reserved for Nexus cardholders and train passengers only.

> D3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/city/d3.png

Kingston. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * E. Named after Rivers

> E1. Which country in Africa consists entirely of a narrow
> corridor surrounding the river of the same name?

(The) Gambia. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> E2. This US state was named after a river that did not flow
> through it -- until 1921 when one of its tributaries,
> the Grand River, was renamed as part of the river. A city
> on that renamed section is still known as Grand Junction.
> Name the state.

Colorado. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

Before the renaming, the name Colorado River was only used as far
upstream as the junction with the Green River, in Utah in what is
now Canyonlands National Park. (Apparently some people in the states
along the Green River raised the objection that if one tributary was
to be renamed is the Colorado it should be that one, but to no avail.)

Incidentally, the river junction divides the national park into
three sections, no two of which are connected within the park by
roads that an ordinary car can use.

> E3. The name used in English for this Asian country relates to
> a river with a similar but not identical name. The river
> is thousands of miles long and almost all of it lies outside
> the country's de-facto boundaries today. Name the country.

India. (The Indus River is mostly in Pakistan.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> * F. Skewed Map Outlines

> We'll show you the outline of a country map that has been rotated
> and/or flipped. We may also have removed some coastal islands.
> You name the country. As a hint, we'll tell you something about
> where it is.

In fact all three were flipped.

> F1. This one is in Europe:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f1.png

Finland. (Flipped NW-SE, i.e. east is on top and north to the right.)
4 for Erland, Joshua, and Björn.

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png

Eritrea. (Flipped E-W.) 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Björn.
2 for Pete.

> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png

Laos. (Again, flipped NW-SE.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Björn.
3 for Peter and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 44 50 94
Pete Gayde 43 34 77
Marc Dashevsky 48 24 72
Dan Tilque 16 56 72
Dan Blum 36 30 66
Gareth Owen 44 -- 44
Erland Sommarskog -- 40 40
Peter Smyth -- 30 30
Jason Kreitzer 28 -- 28
Björn Lundin 4 20 24

--
Mark Brader "It is hard to be brave", said Piglet, sniffing
Toronto slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 7, 2016, 8:07:07 AM11/7/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:KPCdnUUbBNNcl73FnZ2dnUU7-
f_N...@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
>
>> B2. The Denali Fault.
>
> British Columbia, Yukon. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Actually, I had Yukon and British Columbia as my second choice for that
question.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Nov 7, 2016, 3:24:46 PM11/7/16
Mark Brader:
>>> B2. The Denali Fault.
>>
>> British Columbia, Yukon. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Joshua Kreitzer:
> Actually, I had Yukon and British Columbia as my second choice for that
> question.

Whoops. That can happen when you supply two guesses on separate lines
and when I delete the wrong answers from the list I don't notice that
one of them was from the same person as a right answer.

But since I don't specify a format for multiple guesses, that means
that not noticing is my fault. Apologies.

4 for Pete and Dan Tilque only; 2 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 44 48 92
Pete Gayde 43 34 77
Marc Dashevsky 48 24 72
Dan Tilque 16 56 72
Dan Blum 36 30 66
Gareth Owen 44 -- 44
Erland Sommarskog -- 40 40
Peter Smyth -- 30 30
Jason Kreitzer 28 -- 28
Björn Lundin 4 20 24
--
Mark Brader | "Define 'irritating'."
Toronto | "Well, no, you look it up, Mr. Encyclopedia."

Jason Kreitzer

Nov 7, 2016, 8:16:15 PM11/7/16
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 3:30:56 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 3 -- Geography
>
> * A. International Organizations
>
> A1. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Angola,
> China, Egypt, France, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia,
> Senegal, Spain, Ukraine, UK, US, Uruguay, Venezuela.
UN Security Council?
> A2. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Albania,
> Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark,
> Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy,
> Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
> Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, UK, US.
>
> A3. Here is the current list of members -- of what? Antigua &
> Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil,
> Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
> Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala,
> Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama,
> Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent &
> the Grenadines, Suriname, Bahamas, Trinidad & Tobago, US,
> Uruguay, Venezuela.
OAS?
Albania?

> F2. This country is in east Africa:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f2.png
Kenya?
> F3. Name this east Asian country:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/skew/f3.png
Vietnam?

Mark Brader

Nov 8, 2016, 12:27:10 AM11/8/16
If Jason Kreitzer's answers had been posted on time, he would have
received 8 points.
--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."

Mark Brader

Nov 9, 2016, 11:58:08 PM11/9/16
Mark Brader:
> Whoops. That can happen when you supply two guesses on separate lines
> and when I delete the wrong answers from the list I don't notice that
> one of them was from the same person as a right answer.

By the way, I've just changed my scripts to reformat answers of this type
so that this shouldn't happen again.
--
Mark Brader | "I'm a little worried about the bug-eater", she said.
Toronto | "We're embedded in bugs, have you noticed?"