Rotating Quiz #68

Joachim Parsch

Jul 27, 2012, 4:05:06 AM7/27/12
Living by the Sea

Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
one case, near some water).

I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
time for corrections and complaints.

1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
time.

1.
This group of islands forms an independent state since
1970. Although having not much more than half a million
inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
title.

2.
Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
Name the city.

3.
Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

4.
This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
(mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
because of younger history, in which this city played an
infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
were brought to court here.

5.
This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
entity had a political leader who was much more famous
for the profession he had before his political success.
Name the entity.

6.
This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
Just visit this country, which was the leading political
power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

7.
A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
Olympic Games were held.

8.
A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
that the city is located at the point, where you would
have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
Name the city.

9.
Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
the city, where this famous pair meets the second
time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
country.

10.
Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
East of the country of Q10.

11.
Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
Name the city.

12.
One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
are two parts, one independent and one still governed
by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
How is this island called in the traditional native language
of the inhabitants?

13.
Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

Joachim

John Masters

Jul 27, 2012, 5:26:41 AM7/27/12
On 2012-07-27 08:05:06 +0000, Joachim Parsch said:

> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Fiji

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

Nurenberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

California

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sapporo

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

If you mean Dover it is a town, not a city

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Ryadd?

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers (Do you mean East of Q9?)

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Kingston

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

Francis Drake. Had to change a few answers when I twigged the seafarer,
that's if Drake is correct. Which it probably isn't.

--
John Masters

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
- Thomas Neill

Joachim Parsch

Jul 27, 2012, 6:21:21 AM7/27/12

Joachim Parsch schrieb:
[...]
> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.
>
> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

This should read: directly East of Q9, of course.
(as John has pointed out).

Please reply to the original posting with that in mind.

Joachim

Joachim Parsch

Jul 27, 2012, 6:32:25 AM7/27/12

John Masters schrieb:

> On 2012-07-27 08:05:06 +0000, Joachim Parsch said:
> > 8.
> > A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> > white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> > that the city is located at the point, where you would
> > have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> > where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> > Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> > Name the city.
>
> If you mean Dover it is a town, not a city

Upps - for my foreign ears "town" and "city" have
very similar meanings. So what exactly is the difference
in use and meaning?

Joachim

John Masters

Jul 27, 2012, 6:47:07 AM7/27/12
Well traditionally a city had to have a cathedral although that has
changed in modern times. The government can now designate any large
town (or even towns in the case of Brighton & Hove) as a city. It is
not exactly clear where a town becomes a city.

björn lundin

Jul 27, 2012, 8:06:49 AM7/27/12
On 27 Juli, 10:05, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
> Living by the Sea

Hi, trying to use google groups again, last time (ca 1 year ago) I
noted my answers coming in _very_ late.

> 1.
Polynesia

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.
Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot?
Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea.

Nürnberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850.

California

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history -

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean.
Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things:
Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again.
1 in 192 ? I will guess Quito

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.
Bolivar ?

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Cairo?

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Haiti ?

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

And my answers are all over the world...
James Cook?

/Björn
--
Björn Lundin

Gareth Owen

Jul 27, 2012, 10:36:32 AM7/27/12
Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> writes:

> 1. This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million inhabitants,
> the country's national team still managed to reach the quarterfinals
> in a world championship - in a sport where Australia and New Zealand
> have win more than one world title.

Well, Fiji and Samoa have both made Rugby Union World Cup QF (in 2007
and 1991 respectively), and both beat Wales en route ... (I was at the
1991 game, my father and brother were at both...)

But Samoa were Western Samoa at the time, so I'll pick ... Fiji as my
final answer.

*some time later* Oh, I've done the link now.
I'm definitely going for Fiji.

> 2. Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large. Name
> the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3. Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its country,
> may be the right place for you. Founded in the 12th century, it also
> is the starting place for a lot of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4. This city is not really at the sea, not even near the sea. But it
> still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting the two biggest
> rivers of the region. Loads of tourists (mostly from the U.S.) arrive
> at the port almost daily, because they want to visit the city for
> historical reasons. Partly because of the rich medieval history, but
> mainly because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda, and a
> famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers were brought to court
> here.

Nuremberg

> 5. This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany, a lot of
> people, when hearing its name, tend to think of sun, beaches, easy
> living and, of course, the girls, which are praised in a famous pop
> song. In the recent past this entity had a political leader who was
> much more famous for the profession he had before his political
> success. Name the entity.

The state of California

> 6. This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot more, of
> course. Children are hungry and moaning? Don't worry - just find a
> restaurant with food from this country. You want to find the history
> of the "old world"? Just visit this country, which was the leading
> political power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7. A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough to host
> two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities. From that, you may
> gather that we're not talking about Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city
> where the more recent Olympic Games were held.

Sydney, Austalia

> 8. A city, that is well known for two things: the famous white cliffs
> at the coast near the city, and the fact, that the city is located at
> the point, where you would have to swim the shortest distance from the
> island, where the city is located, to the nearest continent. Still,
> for us average types using a boat might be advisable. Name the city.

Dover

> 9. Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of the city,
> where this famous pair meets the second time, is not the
> question. Name today's capital of the country.

Rabat

> 10. Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly East of the
> country of Q10.

Algiers?

> 11. Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common which this
> state "invented" in 1956, so to say. The biggest city in this state
> is also the 5th largest city in the world, with about 13,000,000
> inhabitants. Name the city.

Karachi (Islamic Republic)

> 12. One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there are two
> parts, one independent and one still governed by the state, that ruled
> the whole island before 1921. How is this island called in the
> traditional native language of the inhabitants?

Eire

> 13. Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important part of
> his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

FRANCIS DRAKE

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 27, 2012, 10:36:31 AM7/27/12
In article <50124BB2...@bunuel.franken.de>, s...@bunuel.franken.de says...
> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.
>
> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.
Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.
Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.
Nuremberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.
>
> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.
>
> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.
Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.
Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.
Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.
Brasilia

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.
Karachi

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?
Eire

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Gareth Owen

Jul 27, 2012, 10:43:02 AM7/27/12
John Masters <johnm...@me.com> writes:

> Well traditionally a city had to have a cathedral although that has
> changed in modern times. The government can now designate any large
> town (or even towns in the case of Brighton & Hove) as a city. It is
> not exactly clear where a town becomes a city.

Its been a grey area historically, but these days British towns can only
now become cities by petitioning the Monarch (through the government /
Home Office). These tend to be granted on ceremonial occasions.

ObTrivia: Three towns were granted City status in 2012 in celebration of
the the Jubilee of Her Majesty Elizabeth II. What were they?

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2012, 11:58:55 AM7/27/12
Joachim Parsch:
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants...

Bahamas? (After Q13.) No... Fiji?

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Buenos Aires. (After Q13.) Duh! I meant Rio de Janeiro.

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you....

Amsterdam.

Although I heard that they were changing the applicable law
for non-Dutch citizens.

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port...

Nuremberg (N�rnberg)?

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name...

California.

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course....

Italy.

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities...

Tokyo? (After Q13.) No... we need S. But I thought Sapporo
had the Winter Olympics. Oh! You mean Australia, which is
between two oceans. Sydney.

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city...

Dover.

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine... Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat.

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of [Q9].

Algiers (Algier?).

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say...

Cairo? (After Q13.) Khartoum? No, I'm sure Cairo's bigger.
I think you spelled it in German. I'll stay with Cairo.

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite...

Eire.

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

FRANCISDRACE = Sir Francis Drake.
--
Mark Brader | "Sir, your composure baffles me. A single counterexample
Toronto | refutes a conjecture as effectively as ten... Hands up!

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2012, 12:15:30 PM7/27/12
Joachim Parsch:
> Upps - for my foreign ears "town" and "city" have
> very similar meanings. So what exactly is the difference
> in use and meaning?

That's up to the laws and customs of the applicable jurisdiction.
In the US and Canada:

* The exact laws are set by the state or province.
* As far as I know, all states and provinces recognize at least
two classes of incorporated urban area, namely "city" and
"village"; there may be others.
* Any incorporated place meeting some minimum population requirement
like 1,000 or 10,000 people (set by the state or province) is
allowed to be a city.
* A "city" may be required to have a certain form of government.
* In some places (e.g. Ontario) "town" is a class of incorporated
urban area that is intermediate between "city" and "village";
in other places (e.g. New York) it is, roughly speaking, an
incorporated area that is in principle non-urban.
* In contexts like this question where it's not important whether
it's a city or some other class of urban area, the word used
is usually "city".

In Britain:

* There are several classes of incorporated urban areas,
including "city" and "town".
* The designation of a place as a "city" is a privilege
granted by the national government to recognize it as
important.
* There is a popular myth to the effect that having a cathedral
is either necessary or sufficient for a place to be a city.
* In contexts like this question where it's not important whether
it's a city or some other class of urban area, the word used
is usually "town".

For other English-speaking countries I have no idea.

For contest purposes it's often best to say things like "What city
(or town, etc.)?", particularly if the place is in Britain.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You can write a small letter to Grandma
m...@vex.net | in the filename." -- Forbes Burkowski

Peter Smyth

Jul 27, 2012, 1:14:50 PM7/27/12
"Joachim Parsch" wrote in message

>1.
>This group of islands forms an independent state since
>1970. Although having not much more than half a million
>inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
>reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
>where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
>title.
Samoa
>2.
>Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
>Name the city.
Rio
>3.
>Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
>country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
>12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
>of the tourists mentioned in Q4.
Amsterdam
>4.
>This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
>sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
>the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
>(mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
>because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
>Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
>because of younger history, in which this city played an
>infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
>and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
>were brought to court here.
Nuremburg
>5.
>This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
>a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
>sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
>are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
>entity had a political leader who was much more famous
>for the profession he had before his political success.
>Name the entity.
>
>6.
>This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
>more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
>Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
>country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
>Just visit this country, which was the leading political
>power two thousand years ago. Name the country.
Italy
>7.
>A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
>to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
>From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
>Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
>Olympic Games were held.
Sydney
>8.
>A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
>white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
>that the city is located at the point, where you would
>have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
>where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
>Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
>Name the city.
Dover
>9.
>Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
>the city, where this famous pair meets the second
>time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
>country.
Rabat
>10.
>Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
>East of the country of Q10.
Tunis
>11.
>Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
>which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
>The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
>city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
>Name the city.
Istanbul
>12.
>One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
>are two parts, one independent and one still governed
>by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
>How is this island called in the traditional native language
>of the inhabitants?
Eire
>13.
>Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
>part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

Peter Smyth

swp

Jul 27, 2012, 3:01:58 PM7/27/12
to s...@bunuel.franken.de
On Friday, July 27, 2012 4:05:06 AM UTC-4, Joachim Parsch wrote:
> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

fiji

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

rio de janero

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

nuremburg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

california

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

sydney, australia

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

dover, england

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

ryyad?

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q[9].

ah ... hrumpf!

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

karachi?

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

easter island

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

francis drake

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 27, 2012, 3:08:34 PM7/27/12
Joachim Parsch (s...@bunuel.franken.de) writes:
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Samoa

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

N�rnberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

California (you seem to have a thing for Austrians. :-)

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

I sense some contradiction here, The only existing country that was
could qualify as *the* leading policital power 2000 years ago is
China, but they are not famous for football - although their ladies
team have not been without success. I guess you want Italy, but
Italy has only existed since 1861.

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Alger (I'm glad that you did not ask for the capital that is
directly south of this country!)

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Karachi

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Eire

Rob Parker

Jul 28, 2012, 9:33:16 PM7/28/12
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Fiji

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam
Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.
>
> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?
>
> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

FRANCIS DRAKE

Rob

Pete

Jul 28, 2012, 10:37:00 PM7/28/12
Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote in

> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Tonga

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

Nuremberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

California

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Karachi

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Eire

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

Jacques Cousteau

> Joachim

Pete

Jeffrey Turner

Jul 28, 2012, 11:09:12 PM7/28/12
On 7/27/2012 4:05 AM, Joachim Parsch wrote:
> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Faroe

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

Nuremberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

California

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Other than ending in "an"? And US drones?
Kiev

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Eire

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

Francis Drake

--Jeff

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2012, 3:28:51 AM7/29/12
Joachim Parsch wrote:
> Living by the Sea
>
> Two thirds of the earth are covered by water, so there
> are quite a lot of lovely and not-so-lovely places beside
> that water. This quiz is all about places at the sea (or, for
> one case, near some water).
>
> I'll be offline from Aug 4-18, so I will post the results
> about next Tuesday/Wednesday, or so. That will leave some
> time for corrections and complaints.
>
> 1pt. each question - tie-breaker will be the questions with
> less correct answers. I hope that it's not too easy this
> time.
>
> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Trinidad and Tobago

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janiero

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

Nuremburg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

Greece (except that it became independent earlier than 1850)

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Australia

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Tokyo

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Eire

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2012, 3:30:52 AM7/29/12
Dan Tilque wrote:
> Joachim Parsch wrote:
>> 7.
>> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
>> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
>> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about Tonga or
>> Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent Olympic Games were held.
>
> Australia

dammit, that should be Sydney

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2012, 5:55:07 AM7/29/12
Mark Brader wrote:
> Joachim Parsch:
>> Upps - for my foreign ears "town" and "city" have
>> very similar meanings. So what exactly is the difference
>> in use and meaning?
>
> That's up to the laws and customs of the applicable jurisdiction.
> In the US and Canada:
>
> * The exact laws are set by the state or province.
> * As far as I know, all states and provinces recognize at least
> two classes of incorporated urban area, namely "city" and
> "village"; there may be others.

Not quite. All incorporated municipalities here in Oregon are called
cities. There are several classes of city though, and the smallest would
generally be considered a village or small town by most people. But
officially, they're cities. (I tried to find out exactly what the
requirements are for the different classes, but my google-fu is weak
tonight.)

Hawaii has only a single incorporated place (Honolulu), and that's a
combined city and county. It includes the entire island of Oahu, even
though Honolulu itself only covers a small part of the island.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2012, 12:47:48 PM7/29/12
Mark Brader:
> > In the US and Canada...
> > * As far as I know, all states and provinces recognize at least
> > two classes of incorporated urban area, namely "city" and
> > "village"; there may be others.

Dan Tilque:
> Not quite. All incorporated municipalities here in Oregon are called
> cities. There are several classes of city though...

Ah, interesting. I wonder if there are more states that I didn't know
about that do it that way.

> Hawaii has only a single incorporated place (Honolulu), and that's a
> combined city and county. It includes the entire island of Oahu...

I did know about Honolulu but didn't realize it was the state's only
incorporated place.
--
Mark Brader "Elaborative, polysyllabic multipartite agglu-
Toronto tinations can obfuscate and become obstructive

Calvin

Jul 29, 2012, 6:57:45 PM7/29/12
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:05:06 +1000, Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de>
wrote:

> 1.
> This group of islands forms an independent state since
> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
> title.

Fiji
(Rugby union being the sport, though netball may also qualify).

> 2.
> Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
> Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

> 3.
> Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
> country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
> 12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
> of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam
I had Prague until I got Q13 :-)

> 4.
> This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
> sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
> the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
> (mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
> because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
> Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
> because of younger history, in which this city played an
> infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
> and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
> were brought to court here.

Nuremberg

> 5.
> This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
> a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
> sun, beaches, easy living and, of course, the girls, which
> are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
> entity had a political leader who was much more famous
> for the profession he had before his political success.
> Name the entity.

California

> 6.
> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy

> 7.
> A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
> to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
> From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
> Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
> Olympic Games were held.

Sydney

> 8.
> A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
> white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
> that the city is located at the point, where you would
> have to swim the shortest distance from the island,
> where the city is located, to the nearest continent.
> Still, for us average types using a boat might be advisable.
> Name the city.

Dover

> 9.
> Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
> the city, where this famous pair meets the second
> time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
> country.

Rabat

> 10.
> Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
> East of the country of Q10.

Algiers

> 11.
> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
> Name the city.

Hmmm. Kinshasa or Kolkata I guess but I don't know what the first sentence
refers to. Kolkata is probably larger so let's go with it.

> 12.
> One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
> are two parts, one independent and one still governed
> by the state, that ruled the whole island before 1921.
> How is this island called in the traditional native language
> of the inhabitants?

Eire

> 13.
> Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
> part of his life with the sea, in the answers 1 to 12.

[Sir] Francis Drake

--
cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jul 29, 2012, 7:02:19 PM7/29/12
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:57:45 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:05:06 +1000, Joachim Parsch
> <s...@bunuel.franken.de> wrote:
>

>> 1.
>> This group of islands forms an independent state since
>> 1970. Although having not much more than half a million
>> inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
>> reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
>> where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
>> title.
>
> Fiji
> (Rugby union being the sport, though netball may also qualify).

And I think it does. Aust and NZ have certainly won >1 and Fiji has 3 x
top-8 finishes, though I haven't been able to determine what format was
used, ie whether any of those tournaments actually had quarterfinals.

--
cheers,
calvin

Joachim Parsch

Jul 31, 2012, 2:32:58 AM7/31/12

here are the answers and scores for RQ68,
and the RQ69 goes to...

>1.
>This group of islands forms an independent state since
>1970. Although having not much more than half a million
>inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
>reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
>where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
>title.

Fiji
The sport I thought of is Rugby Union obviously.
First I wanted to write "Less than a million inhabitants",
but I realized, that Samoa would have been a correct answer
as well. But Samoa has a population of less than 500,000.
Tonga, the third reasonable guess, has never reached a
quarterfinal of a Rugby WC.

>2.
>Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
>Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

>3.
>Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
>country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
>12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
>of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

>4.
>This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
>sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
>the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
>(mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
>because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
>Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
>because of younger history, in which this city played an
>infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
>and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
>were brought to court here.

N�rnberg
Had to get my hometown into the RQ once. The thing about the
tourists flooding the (very small) port (calling it a port
is probably a travesty from, say, a Hamburg point of view) is
true, BTW.

>5.
>This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
>a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
>sun, beaches and easy living and, of course, the girls, which
>are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
>entity had a political leader who was much more famous
>for the profession he had before his political success.
>Name the entity.

California

>6.
>This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
>more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
>Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
>country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
>Just visit this country, which was the leading political
>power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy.
Well, yes, way too easy. Somehow I didn't find anything
better with I.

>7.
>A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
>to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
>From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
>Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
>Olympic Games were held.

Sydney
Melbourne was the other town (or city?) to host the
Olympic Summer Games. Japan was a good guess, but had the
Summer Games only once in Tokyo IIRC. In Sapporo were
"only" Winter Games.

>8.
>A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
>white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
>that the city is located at the point, where you would
>have to swim the shortest distance from the island
>where the city is to the nearest continent. Still, for
>us average types using a boat might be advisable.
>Name the city.

Dover

>9.
>Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
>the city, where this famous pair meets the second
>time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
>country, where Ilsa and Rick find their destinations.

Rabat
Ilsa Lund and Rick Blaine meet in Casablanca, of course.
("Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time goes by' ")
Rabat is the capital of Morocco.

>10.
>Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
>East of the country, of Q10.

Algiers, the capital of Algeria

>11.
>Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
>which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
>The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
>city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
>Name the city.

Karachi
Pakistan was the first state to declare itself an
"Islamic Republic" in 1956. Afghanistan, Iran, Sudan
and some other countries have adopted this.
As for the "5th largest city" (or town for that
matter), it is obviously difficult to measure:
do you estimate the number of people in the governmental
region, or do you just look at the corpus of the town,
excluding rural areas? I took the latter definition,
and found, according to Wikipedia (German Link,
no English equivalent):
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Millionenst%C3%A4dte>

The 4 bigger cities are Mexico City, Shanghai, Beijing,
Istanbul.
After Karachi follow Mumbai, Moscow and Delhi.
New York (in my childhood a synonym for "huge city")
is on rank 15 only here, London on 21. Just villages :-)

>12.
>One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
>are two parts, one independent and one still governed
>by the state, that before 1921 ruled the wholde island.
>How is this island called in the traditional native language
>of the inhabitants?

Eire (Gaelic for "Ireland")

>13.
>Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important
>part of his life with the sea.

The first letter of each answer gives:
FRANCIS DRAKE

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Score
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 9 John Masters
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 7 Bj�rn Lundin
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 13 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 12 Mark Brader
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 8 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 10 Stephen Perry
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 11 Erland Sommarskog
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 9 Rob Parker
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 11 Pete
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 11 Jeffrey Turner
0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 8 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 12 Calvin

...Gareth Owen! Congratulations for a perfect score,
just edging out Mark and Calvin, who both couldn't
find the correct Megapolis witk K.

Joachim

Joachim Parsch

Jul 31, 2012, 3:20:07 AM7/31/12

here are the answers and scores for RQ68,
and the RQ69 goes to...

>1.
>This group of islands forms an independent state since
>1970. Although having not much more than half a million
>inhabitants, the country's national team still managed to
>reach the quarterfinals in a world championship - in a sport
>where Australia and New Zealand have win more than one world
>title.

Fiji
The sport I thought of is Rugby Union obviously.
First I wanted to write "Less than a million inhabitants",
but I realized, that Samoa would have been a correct answer
as well. But Samoa has a population of less than 500,000.
Tonga, the third reasonable guess, has never reached a
quarterfinal of a Rugby WC.

>2.
>Two hints should be enough: Carnival and Christ at large.
>Name the city.

Rio de Janeiro

>3.
>Wanna smoke some pot? Then this city, the largest of its
>country, may be the right place for you. Founded in the
>12th century, it also is the starting place for a lot
>of the tourists mentioned in Q4.

Amsterdam

>4.
>This city is not really at the sea, not even near the
>sea. But it still has a port, thanks to a channel connecting
>the two biggest rivers of the region. Loads of tourists
>(mostly from the U.S.) arrive at the port almost daily,
>because they want to visit the city for historical reasons.
>Partly because of the rich medieval history, but mainly
>because of younger history, in which this city played an
>infamous role, when utilized by a dictator for his propaganda,
>and a famous role, when the dictator's willing helpers
>were brought to court here.

N�rnberg
Had to get my hometown into the RQ once. The thing about the
tourists flooding the (very small) port (calling it a port
is probably a travesty from, say, a Hamburg point of view) is
true, BTW.

>5.
>This political entity exists since 1850. Here in Germany,
>a lot of people, when hearing its name, tend to think of
>sun, beaches and easy living and, of course, the girls, which
>are praised in a famous pop song. In the recent past this
>entity had a political leader who was much more famous
>for the profession he had before his political success.
>Name the entity.

California

>6.
>This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
>more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
>Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
>country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
>Just visit this country, which was the leading political
>power two thousand years ago. Name the country.

Italy.
Well, yes, way too easy. Somehow I didn't find anything
better with I.

>7.
>A country in the middle of an ocean. And still big enough
>to host two Olympic Summer Games in two different cities.
>From that, you may gather that we're not talking about
>Tonga or Mauritius. Name the city where the more recent
>Olympic Games were held.

Sydney
Melbourne was the other town (or city?) to host the
Olympic Summer Games. Japan was a good guess, but had the
Summer Games only once in Tokyo IIRC. In Sapporo were
"only" Winter Games.

>8.
>A city, that is well known for two things: the famous
>white cliffs at the coast near the city, and the fact,
>that the city is located at the point, where you would
>have to swim the shortest distance from the island
>where the city is to the nearest continent. Still, for
>us average types using a boat might be advisable.
>Name the city.

Dover

>9.
>Ilsa Lund meets Rick Blaine - again. No, the name of
>the city, where this famous pair meets the second
>time, is not the question. Name today's capital of the
>country, where Ilsa and Rick find their destinations.

Rabat
Ilsa Lund and Rick Blaine meet in Casablanca, of course.
("Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time goes by' ")
Rabat is the capital of Morocco.

>10.
>Name the Capital of the country, that lies directly
>East of the country, of Q10.

Algiers, the capital of Algeria

>11.
>Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
>which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
>The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
>city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
>Name the city.

Karachi
Pakistan was the first state to declare itself an
"Islamic Republic" in 1956. Afghanistan, Iran, Sudan
and some other countries have adopted this.
As for the "5th largest city" (or town for that
matter), it is obviously difficult to measure:
do you estimate the number of people in the governmental
region, or do you just look at the corpus of the town,
excluding rural areas? I took the latter definition,
and found, according to Wikipedia (German Link,
no English equivalent):
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Millionenst%C3%A4dte>

The 4 bigger cities are Mexico City, Shanghai, Beijing,
Istanbul.
After Karachi follow Mumbai, Moscow and Delhi.
New York (in my childhood a synonym for "huge city")
is on rank 15 only here, London on 21. Just villages :-)

>12.
>One island, one state? Not quite, but since 1921 there
>are two parts, one independent and one still governed
>by the state, that before 1921 ruled the wholde island.
>How is this island called in the traditional native language
>of the inhabitants?

Eire (Gaelic for "Ireland")

>13.
>Find the name of a famous guy, who has spent an important

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2012, 3:56:49 AM7/31/12
Joachim Parsch:
>> 11.
>> Iran, Afghanistan and Sudan have something in common
>> which this state "invented" in 1956, so to say.
>> The biggest city in this state is also the 5th largest
>> city in the world, with about 13,000,000 inhabitants.
>> Name the city.

> Karachi
> Pakistan was the first state to declare itself an
> "Islamic Republic" in 1956....

By the way, the reason I thought of Egypt for this question was
the year 1956, which, of course, was when they dissed the former
colonial powers by nationalizing the Suez Canal company -- just
the sort of thing that's also gone on countries like Iran and
Afghanistan. So once I got onto that wrong track, and also
didn't know how big Karachi is, I was never getting it right.

Thanks for the contest.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is an excellent opportunity for
m...@vex.net | out-of-context quoting..." --Mike Hardy

Gareth Owen

Jul 31, 2012, 2:07:41 PM7/31/12
Joachim Parsch <s...@bunuel.franken.de> writes:

> ...Gareth Owen! Congratulations for a perfect score,
> just edging out Mark and Calvin, who both couldn't
> find the correct Megapolis witk K.

Oh, my gosh. I'll post something before Friday. Thanks for the quiz.

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 8, 2012, 5:36:04 PM8/8/12
On 7/31/2012 3:20 AM, Joachim Parsch wrote:

>> 6.
>> This country has famous food, soccer, history - and a lot
>> more, of course. Children are hungry and moaning?
>> Don't worry - just find a restaurant with food from this
>> country. You want to find the history of the "old world"?
>> Just visit this country, which was the leading political
>> power two thousand years ago. Name the country.
>
> Italy.
> Well, yes, way too easy. Somehow I didn't find anything
> better with I.

I had China penciled in until I found the pattern.

--Jeff

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 9, 2012, 3:22:23 AM8/9/12
Well, as I pointed out in my answer that there is one word in the question
that rules out China: "soccer". But then again, as I also pointed out, Italy
was not a leading country 2000 years ago; it was only a peninsula.

Speaking of which, Gareth, when is the next quiz coming?

Gareth Owen

Aug 11, 2012, 12:17:58 PM8/11/12
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Speaking of which, Gareth, when is the next quiz coming?

Real soon now!