QFTCIRS Game 6, Rounds 9-10: trophies and challenges

Mark Brader

Dec 29, 2019, 11:00:47 PM12/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies

In each case, unless otherwise instructed, name them.

1. This trophy is an earthenware vessel that is awarded to the
winner of the Michigan-Minnesota college football game. It has
been awarded since 1903 and is the most regularly exchanged
rivalry trophy in college football.

2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

3. A Martinsville <answer 3> is what every NASCAR driver aspires to
win. These items used to be made near the racetrack in Virginia,
but are now made in Zeeland, Michigan. Retired driver Richard
Petty owns 16 of these -- he won 15 of them and was given one
as a gift by the maker.

4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
What sort of prize?

5. Yes, the winner of the 2015 Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas
Speedway took home a replica of this Nickelodeon cartoon
character.

6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
Name the character or the full trophy name.

8. The winner of the game between Illinois and Ohio State gets
this effigial trophy. When the tradition of passing it back and
forth started in 1925, a living version was used to symbolize
a long-lasting rivalry. However, when it died several years
later, a wooden version stood in and has been used ever since.
Name the trophy or the living object it represents.

9. Indiana and Purdue battle each year for this trophy. The winner
of the game gets a "P" or an "I" link added to the chain of
this trophy, with the score and date of the game. The name of
the trophy refers to a Samuel Woodworth poem from 1817.

10. This trophy is shaped like a traditional Arabic coffee pot
and is awarded to the winner of the Dubai Desert Classic.

** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round

* A. Impressionist Artists

Based on the information provided, name the impressionist painter.

A1. Born July 1830, died November 1903. This painter and
printmaker was the only artist to show his work in all
eight Impressionist group exhibitions. He was also a major
contributor to Post-Impressionism. Name him.

A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
"Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

* B. "-Ologies"

We give you a description, you provide the "-ology" that matches it.
For example, the study of birds would be... ornithology.

B1. The study of tissues of plants and animals.
B2. The study of fungi.

* C. Boxer Rebellion

Two questions about that officially supported peasant uprising.

C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
to in English, more precisely?

C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

* D. Importers

We give you a commodity and you name *any one of the top three*
countries that import it.

D1. Rice.
D2. Coffee.

Sorry, but the last two categories in this round were both about
current events as of the original game date. In this format I
should have thought of grouping them with the current-events game
for the season, but I didn't, so I'll go ahead and ask them here.

* E. AMA Nominations 2019

American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.

E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
with the previous question. Anzr nal bs gur abzvarrf sbe
gur "Negvfg bs gur Lrne" *bgure* guna Cbfg Znybar.

* F. Non-Canadian Current Events

F1. In response to a wave of protests, President Sebastian Piñera
asked all of his cabinet members to offer their resignations
Saturday. What country?

F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
the results of this country's presidential elections, in
which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "[That] statement is so full of hubris
m...@vex.net | you can hear the wax melting." -- Steve Summit

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 30, 2019, 1:00:08 AM12/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:IqednTN4cbr065TDnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies
>
> In each case, unless otherwise instructed, name them.
>
> 1. This trophy is an earthenware vessel that is awarded to the
> winner of the Michigan-Minnesota college football game. It has
> been awarded since 1903 and is the most regularly exchanged
> rivalry trophy in college football.

Little Brown Jug

> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

date

> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

cow; goat

> 5. Yes, the winner of the 2015 Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas
> Speedway took home a replica of this Nickelodeon cartoon
> character.

SpongeBob SquarePants

> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

cheddar

> 7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
> always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
> legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
> matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
> Name the character or the full trophy name.

Paul Bunyan

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round
>
> * B. "-Ologies"
>
> We give you a description, you provide the "-ology" that matches it.
> For example, the study of birds would be... ornithology.
>
> B2. The study of fungi.

mycology

> * C. Boxer Rebellion
>
> Two questions about that officially supported peasant uprising.
>
> C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
> society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
> to in English, more precisely?

Harmonious Fists

> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

France

> * D. Importers
>
> We give you a commodity and you name *any one of the top three*
> countries that import it.
>
> D1. Rice.

USA; China

> D2. Coffee.

USA

> Sorry, but the last two categories in this round were both about
> current events as of the original game date. In this format I
> should have thought of grouping them with the current-events game
> for the season, but I didn't, so I'll go ahead and ask them here.
>
> * E. AMA Nominations 2019
>
> American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
> week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.
>
> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

Drake

> E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. Anzr nal bs gur abzvarrf sbe
> gur "Negvfg bs gur Lrne" *bgure* guna Cbfg Znybar.

Lil Nas X; Drake

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events
>
> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

Ecuador; Bolivia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Dec 30, 2019, 10:10:05 AM12/30/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies

> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

orange

> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Is?re in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

goat; sheep

> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

cheddar

> 7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
> always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
> legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
> matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
> Name the character or the full trophy name.

Paul Bunyan

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round

> * A. Impressionist Artists

> A1. Born July 1830, died November 1903. This painter and
> printmaker was the only artist to show his work in all
> eight Impressionist group exhibitions. He was also a major
> contributor to Post-Impressionism. Name him.

Gauguin

> A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
> a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
> name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
> "Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

Monet

> * B. "-Ologies"

> B2. The study of fungi.

mycology

> * C. Boxer Rebellion

> C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
> society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
> to in English, more precisely?

Harmonious Fists

> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

Germany

> * D. Importers

> D1. Rice.

Japan

> D2. Coffee.

USA

> * E. AMA Nominations 2019

> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

Post Malone

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events

> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

Bolivia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 30, 2019, 2:31:15 PM12/30/19
On 12/29/19 8:00 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies
>
> In each case, unless otherwise instructed, name them.
>
> 1. This trophy is an earthenware vessel that is awarded to the
> winner of the Michigan-Minnesota college football game. It has
> been awarded since 1903 and is the most regularly exchanged
> rivalry trophy in college football.

Little Brown Jug

> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

avocado

> 3. A Martinsville <answer 3> is what every NASCAR driver aspires to
> win. These items used to be made near the racetrack in Virginia,
> but are now made in Zeeland, Michigan. Retired driver Richard
> Petty owns 16 of these -- he won 15 of them and was given one
> as a gift by the maker.
>
> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

horse

> 5. Yes, the winner of the 2015 Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas
> Speedway took home a replica of this Nickelodeon cartoon
> character.
>
> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?
>
> 7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
> always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
> legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
> matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
> Name the character or the full trophy name.

Paul Bunyan

> 8. The winner of the game between Illinois and Ohio State gets
> this effigial trophy. When the tradition of passing it back and
> forth started in 1925, a living version was used to symbolize
> a long-lasting rivalry. However, when it died several years
> later, a wooden version stood in and has been used ever since.
> Name the trophy or the living object it represents.
>
> 9. Indiana and Purdue battle each year for this trophy. The winner
> of the game gets a "P" or an "I" link added to the chain of
> this trophy, with the score and date of the game. The name of
> the trophy refers to a Samuel Woodworth poem from 1817.
>
> 10. This trophy is shaped like a traditional Arabic coffee pot
> and is awarded to the winner of the Dubai Desert Classic.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round
>
> * A. Impressionist Artists
>
> Based on the information provided, name the impressionist painter.
>
> A1. Born July 1830, died November 1903. This painter and
> printmaker was the only artist to show his work in all
> eight Impressionist group exhibitions. He was also a major
> contributor to Post-Impressionism. Name him.
>
> A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
> a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
> name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
> "Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

Monet

> * B. "-Ologies"
>
> We give you a description, you provide the "-ology" that matches it.
> For example, the study of birds would be... ornithology.
>
> B1. The study of tissues of plants and animals.
> B2. The study of fungi.

mycology

> * C. Boxer Rebellion
>
> Two questions about that officially supported peasant uprising.
>
> C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
> society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
> to in English, more precisely?

closed fist

> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

France

> * D. Importers
>
> We give you a commodity and you name *any one of the top three*
> countries that import it.
>
> D1. Rice.

China

> D2. Coffee.

USA

> Sorry, but the last two categories in this round were both about
> current events as of the original game date. In this format I
> should have thought of grouping them with the current-events game
> for the season, but I didn't, so I'll go ahead and ask them here.
>
> * E. AMA Nominations 2019
>
> American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
> week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.
>
> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".
>
> E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. Anzr nal bs gur abzvarrf sbe
> gur "Negvfg bs gur Lrne" *bgure* guna Cbfg Znybar.
>

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events
>
> F1. In response to a wave of protests, President Sebastian Piñera
> asked all of his cabinet members to offer their resignations
> Saturday. What country?
>
> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 30, 2019, 2:34:06 PM12/30/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies
>
> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

Watermelon

> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

Cow

> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

Roquefort

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round
>
> * A. Impressionist Artists
>
> A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
> a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
> name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
> "Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

Renoir

> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

Russia

> D1. Rice.

Japan

> D2. Coffee.

US

> * E. AMA Nominations 2019
>
> American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
> week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.
>
> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

Bruce Springsteen

> E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. Anzr nal bs gur abzvarrf sbe
> gur "Negvfg bs gur Lrne" *bgure* guna Cbfg Znybar.

I guess I try with Bruce Springsteen once more then.

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events
>
> F1. In response to a wave of protests, President Sebastian Piñera
> asked all of his cabinet members to offer their resignations
> Saturday. What country?

Chile

> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

Bolivia

Pete Gayde

Dec 31, 2019, 8:55:51 PM12/31/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:IqednTN4cbr065TDnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies
>
> In each case, unless otherwise instructed, name them.
>
> 1. This trophy is an earthenware vessel that is awarded to the
> winner of the Michigan-Minnesota college football game. It has
> been awarded since 1903 and is the most regularly exchanged
> rivalry trophy in college football.

Little Brown Jug

> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

Pomegranate

> 3. A Martinsville <answer 3> is what every NASCAR driver aspires to
> win. These items used to be made near the racetrack in Virginia,
> but are now made in Zeeland, Michigan. Retired driver Richard
> Petty owns 16 of these -- he won 15 of them and was given one
> as a gift by the maker.

Wooden shoe

> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

Goat; Cow

> 5. Yes, the winner of the 2015 Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas
> Speedway took home a replica of this Nickelodeon cartoon
> character.

Spongebob Squarepants

> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

Cheddar

> 7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
> always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
> legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
> matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
> Name the character or the full trophy name.

Paul Bunyan

> 8. The winner of the game between Illinois and Ohio State gets
> this effigial trophy. When the tradition of passing it back and
> forth started in 1925, a living version was used to symbolize
> a long-lasting rivalry. However, when it died several years
> later, a wooden version stood in and has been used ever since.
> Name the trophy or the living object it represents.

Illinibuck

> 9. Indiana and Purdue battle each year for this trophy. The winner
> of the game gets a "P" or an "I" link added to the chain of
> this trophy, with the score and date of the game. The name of
> the trophy refers to a Samuel Woodworth poem from 1817.

Old Oaken Bucket

> 10. This trophy is shaped like a traditional Arabic coffee pot
> and is awarded to the winner of the Dubai Desert Classic.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round
>
> * A. Impressionist Artists
>
> Based on the information provided, name the impressionist painter.
>
> A1. Born July 1830, died November 1903. This painter and
> printmaker was the only artist to show his work in all
> eight Impressionist group exhibitions. He was also a major
> contributor to Post-Impressionism. Name him.

Manet; Sisley

> A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
> a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
> name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
> "Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

Monet

> * B. "-Ologies"
>
> We give you a description, you provide the "-ology" that matches it.
> For example, the study of birds would be... ornithology.
>
> B1. The study of tissues of plants and animals.
> B2. The study of fungi.
>

> * C. Boxer Rebellion
>
> Two questions about that officially supported peasant uprising.
>
> C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
> society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
> to in English, more precisely?
>
> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

France

> * D. Importers
>
> We give you a commodity and you name *any one of the top three*
> countries that import it.
>
> D1. Rice.

Netherlands

> D2. Coffee.

United States

> Sorry, but the last two categories in this round were both about
> current events as of the original game date. In this format I
> should have thought of grouping them with the current-events game
> for the season, but I didn't, so I'll go ahead and ask them here.
>
> * E. AMA Nominations 2019
>
> American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
> week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.
>
> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

Drake; Kanye West

> E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. Anzr nal bs gur abzvarrf sbe
> gur "Negvfg bs gur Lrne" *bgure* guna Cbfg Znybar.

Drake; Kanye West

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events
>
> F1. In response to a wave of protests, President Sebastian Piñera
> asked all of his cabinet members to offer their resignations
> Saturday. What country?

Honduras; El Salvador

> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

Bolivia

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jan 2, 2020, 1:07:55 AM1/2/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports - Lesser-Known Sports Trophies

> In each case, unless otherwise instructed, name them.

In the original game this was not only the hardest round in the game,
but also the 2nd-hardest in the entire season, or the hardest if audio
rounds are excluded.

> 1. This trophy is an earthenware vessel that is awarded to the
> winner of the Michigan-Minnesota college football game. It has
> been awarded since 1903 and is the most regularly exchanged
> rivalry trophy in college football.

Little Brown Jug. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. During the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey, this "prize"
> is awarded after a stage that ends in the resort city of Alanya.
> The prize is what kind of fruit, famously grown in the region?

Bananas.

> 3. A Martinsville <answer 3> is what every NASCAR driver aspires to
> win. These items used to be made near the racetrack in Virginia,
> but are now made in Zeeland, Michigan. Retired driver Richard
> Petty owns 16 of these -- he won 15 of them and was given one
> as a gift by the maker.

Grandfather clock.

> 4. Lindsey Kildow, now Lindsey Vonn, won her first one of these at
> Val d'Isère in 2005. The race organizers expected her to
> willingly accept a $5,000 check in exchange for the prize, but
> since she knew someone who lived on a farm in Austria and could
> keep her new friend there for her, she rejected the exhange.
> What sort of prize?

Cow. 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

In fact the organizers were rather upset, as the the cow by itself
was worth considerably more than $5,000 -- and it was also pregnant,
so she ended up with two cows. See:
http://usskiandsnowboard.org/news/lindsey-vonns-pet-cow

> 5. Yes, the winner of the 2015 Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas
> Speedway took home a replica of this Nickelodeon cartoon
> character.

SpongeBob SquarePants. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. During the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake competition,
> participants race a 9-pound wheel of cheese down a steep hill.
> The cheese can reach speeds of over 65 mph. The winner claims
> the wheel of -- what kind of cheese?

Double Gloucester.

> 7. The University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin have
> always had an ax to grind, but this trophy named after a
> legendary character wasn't introduced until 1948 when the
> matchup's original prize, the Slab of Bacon, went missing.
> Name the character or the full trophy name.

Paul Bunyan Axe Trophy. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. The winner of the game between Illinois and Ohio State gets
> this effigial trophy. When the tradition of passing it back and
> forth started in 1925, a living version was used to symbolize
> a long-lasting rivalry. However, when it died several years
> later, a wooden version stood in and has been used ever since.
> Name the trophy or the living object it represents.

Illibuck Trophy or Turtle. 4 for Pete.

> 9. Indiana and Purdue battle each year for this trophy. The winner
> of the game gets a "P" or an "I" link added to the chain of
> this trophy, with the score and date of the game. The name of
> the trophy refers to a Samuel Woodworth poem from 1817.

Old Oaken Bucket. 4 for Pete.

> 10. This trophy is shaped like a traditional Arabic coffee pot
> and is awarded to the winner of the Dubai Desert Classic.

Dallah Trophy.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 -- Challenge Round

> * A. Impressionist Artists

> Based on the information provided, name the impressionist painter.

> A1. Born July 1830, died November 1903. This painter and
> printmaker was the only artist to show his work in all
> eight Impressionist group exhibitions. He was also a major
> contributor to Post-Impressionism. Name him.

Camille Pissarro.

> A2. Born November 1840, died December 1926. This painter was
> a founder of the Impressionist movement, which takes its
> name from his painting "Impression, Sunrise" (in French,
> "Impression, soleil levant"). Name him.

Claude Monet. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * B. "-Ologies"

> We give you a description, you provide the "-ology" that matches it.
> For example, the study of birds would be... ornithology.

> B1. The study of tissues of plants and animals.

Histology.

> B2. The study of fungi.

Mycology. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Boxer Rebellion

> Two questions about that officially supported peasant uprising.

> C1. "Boxers" was the name that foreigners gave a Chinese secret
> society known as Yihequan. What does Yihequan translate
> to in English, more precisely?

Righteous and harmonious fists. 3 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> C2. In response to reports of an armed invasion by an 8-nation
> alliance, the empress dowager issued an Imperial Decree
> declaring war on the foreign powers. Two them were the US
> and Great Britain. Name *any one* of the other six.

Austria-Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia. 4 for
everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> * D. Importers

> We give you a commodity and you name *any one of the top three*
> countries that import it.

> D1. Rice.

China, Iran, Saudi Arabia. 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> D2. Coffee.

US, Germany, France. 4 for everyone.

> Sorry, but the last two categories in this round were both about
> current events as of the original game date. In this format I
> should have thought of grouping them with the current-events game
> for the season, but I didn't, so I'll go ahead and ask them here.

> * E. AMA Nominations 2019

> American Music Award nominees for 2019 were announced this past
> week. Based on the information provided, name the nominee.

> E1. This two-time AMA winner is the most nominated artist this
> year, with 7 total nominations, including "Artist of the
> Year" and "Favorite Male Artist -- Pop/Rock".

Post Malone. 4 for Dan Blum.

> E2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. Name any of the nominees for
> the "Artist of the Year" *other* than Post Malone.

Drake, Ariana Grande, Halsey, Taylor Swift. 3 for Pete.
2 for Joshua.

> * F. Non-Canadian Current Events

> F1. In response to a wave of protests, President Sebastian Piñera
> asked all of his cabinet members to offer their resignations
> Saturday. What country?

Chile. 4 for Erland.

> F2. Several countries are refusing to recognize as official
> the results of this country's presidential elections, in
> which incumbent Evo Morales claimed to have been reelected
> to a 4th consecutive term. What country?

Bolivia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Ent Geo Lit Sci Can Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 24 24 20 20 7 4 15 21 124
Dan Tilque 27 0 32 16 0 16 8 20 119
Dan Blum 24 8 16 24 11 8 4 27 110
Pete Gayde 18 8 24 8 -- -- 22 19 99
Erland Sommarskog 26 0 0 4 -- -- 4 16 50
Bruce Bowler 38 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 38

--
Mark Brader, Toronto The uucp stings you!--More--
m...@vex.net Your purse feels lighter.

Mark Brader

Jan 2, 2020, 1:09:12 AM1/2/20
Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Sorry, I meant to add my congratulations to JOSHUA KREITZER
for winning Game 6. Well done, sir!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is as 'real' as your so-called life gets!"
m...@vex.net | "Q Who", ST:TNG, Maurice Hurley