QFTCIMI515 Game 6, Rounds 4,6: HBO, chess

Mark Brader

Apr 29, 2015, 4:26:26 AM4/29/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series

The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.

For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:

1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.
2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.
3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).
4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).
5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).
6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).

For #7-10, we give you two cast members:

7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.
8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.
9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).
10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).

* Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess

1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
second-strongest?

2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
What is this move called?

3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
either descriptive or algebraic notation.

5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
match in Reykjavik?

8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
presidential race in 2007?

Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
have finished with #1-8.

9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.

10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

--
Mark Brader | "On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not
Toronto | only an effective software tool, but an agent of
| -- John Lions, 1979

Dan Blum

Apr 29, 2015, 9:51:40 AM4/29/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series

> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.

True Detective

> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).

Boardwalk Empire

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).

The Wire

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).

Deadwood

> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.

Entourage

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess

> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

stalemate; zugzwang

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in S?o Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

he was blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Spassky

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3?-2? va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Blue

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 29, 2015, 10:11:37 AM4/29/15
In article <vLadnQnHeMwsCN3I...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.
Band of Brothers

> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.
True Detective

> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).
Boardwalk Empire

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).
The Wire

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).
Deadwood

> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).
Six Feet Under

> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.
Entourage

> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.
> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).
> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?
rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?
castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?
stalemate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.
e4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?
gambit

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?
he was blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?
Boris Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?
>
> 9. P-QB4 or c5 is the most popular and aggressive response to
> White's opening P-K4 or e4. What is this defence? Hint:
> some may find the sound of the name threatening.
Sicilian

> 10. Name the opponent that beat Garry Kasparov 3?-2? in a
> well-publicized 1997 rematch.
Deep Blue (and now I remember the answer to #8)

Peter Smyth

Apr 29, 2015, 1:12:13 PM4/29/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.
Band of Brothers
> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.
True Detective
> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).
Boardwalk Empire
> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).
The Wire
> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).
Deadwood
> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).
Six Feet Under

> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.
> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.
True Blood
> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).
Curb Your Enthusiasm
> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).
Little Britain USA

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?
Define strongest. I assume rook is the answer you are looking for.
> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?
Castling
> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?
Stalemate
> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.
1.e4
> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?
Gambit
> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?
He played blindfold.
> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?
Boris Spassky
> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?
Gary Kasparov
> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. P-QB4 or c5 is the most popular and aggressive response to
> White's opening P-K4 or e4. What is this defence? Hint:
> some may find the sound of the name threatening.
Sicilian Defence
> 10. Name the opponent that beat Garry Kasparov 3½-2½ in a
> well-publicized 1997 rematch.
Deep Blue

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 29, 2015, 3:55:38 PM4/29/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

Rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

"rockad" in Swedish. No idea about the English name, sorry.

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

"patt" is the Swedish word. Could it be "pate" in English?

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

e2-e4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

Gambit

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

He was blind/blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Boris Spaskij

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Kasparov

> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.

Sicilian defense

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Thought

Björn Lundin

Apr 29, 2015, 5:26:55 PM4/29/15
On 2015-04-29 10:26, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

Tower

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

rocade

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

Stale mate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

Moving the pawn in front of the king 2 steps forward

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

He was blind ?

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Kasparov

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.

Left horse put in front of left bishop (and its pawn)

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Blue

Björn

Calvin

Apr 29, 2015, 6:55:43 PM4/29/15
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 6:26:26 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.

Homeland, House of Cards

> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.

Homeland, House of Cards

> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).

Boardwalk Empire

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).

Homeland

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).

Deadwood

> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).
>
> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.

Homeland, House of Cards

> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.

Homeland, House of Cards

> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).
> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).

Little Britain

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

Rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

Castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

Stalemate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

P-K4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

Gambit

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

He was blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Kasparov

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.

Sicilian

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Blue

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 29, 2015, 8:37:21 PM4/29/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vLadnQnHeMwsCN3InZ2dnUU7-K-
dn...@vex.net:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).

"Boardwalk Empire"

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).

"The Wire"

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).

"Deadwood"

> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).

"Six Feet Under"

> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.

"True Blood"

> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).

"Flight of the Conchords"

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

castling

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

d4; e4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

gambit; sacrifice

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

he was blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Garry Kasparov

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Karpov

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2015, 12:23:13 AM4/30/15
Erland Sommarskog:
> He was blind/blindfolded

I will score this as two answers: he was blind, he was blindfolded.
--
Mark Brader | "If communication becomes impossible, it is expected that
Toronto | both parties will... notify the other that communication

Dan Tilque

Apr 30, 2015, 3:34:24 AM4/30/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.

Pass

> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.
> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.
> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).
> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).
> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).
> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).
>
> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.
> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.
> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).
> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

stalemate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

p - K4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

gambit

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

he was blind

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?
>
> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.
>
> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Blue

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 30, 2015, 6:49:52 AM4/30/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> He was blind/blindfolded
>
> I will score this as two answers: he was blind, he was blindfolded.

Fair enough.

I should just have answered "He did not see the chess pieces", without
going into the specifics. :-)

Pete

Apr 30, 2015, 11:58:03 PM4/30/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vLadnQnHeMwsCN3InZ2dnUU7-K-
dn...@vex.net:

Bishop; Knight

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?
>
> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?
>
> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.
>
> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?
>
> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

He was blinkfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Boris Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Kasparov

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.
>
> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Pete

Rob Parker

May 1, 2015, 9:13:41 AM5/1/15
> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).

Little England

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

stalemate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

P-K4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

gambit

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

played blindfold

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Boris Spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?
>
> 9. C-DO4 be p5 vf gur zbfg cbchyne naq ntterffvir erfcbafr gb
> Juvgr'f bcravat C-X4 be r4. Jung vf guvf qrsrapr? Uvag:
> fbzr znl svaq gur fbhaq bs gur anzr guerngravat.

Sicilian Defence

> 10. Anzr gur bccbarag gung orng Tneel Xnfcnebi 3½-2½ va n
> jryy-choyvpvmrq 1997 erzngpu.

Deep Blue

Rob

swp

May 1, 2015, 11:46:54 PM5/1/15
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:26:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series
>
> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.
>
> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:
>
> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.

band of brothers

> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.

true detective

> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).

boardwalk empire

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).

the wire

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).

deadwood

> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).

six feet under

> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:
>
> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.

entourage

> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.

tru blood

> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).

> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

rook

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

castling

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

stalemate

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

1. e4

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

sacrifice

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

he was blindfolded

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

boris spassky

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

gary kasparov

> Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after you
> have finished with #1-8.
>
> 9. P-QB4 or c5 is the most popular and aggressive response to
> White's opening P-K4 or e4. What is this defence? Hint:
> some may find the sound of the name threatening.

dutch defense

> 10. Name the opponent that beat Garry Kasparov 3½-2½ in a
> well-publicized 1997 rematch.

deep blue

swp

Mark Brader

May 2, 2015, 1:52:57 PM5/2/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-23,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Entertainment - HBO TV Series

> The HBO network has been responsible for some of the best
> television of the past decade and a half. We'll give you two
> names and sometimes the genre, and in each case you name the show.

> For questions #1-6, the names we give you are characters on the show:

> 1. Lieutenants Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon.

"Band of Brothers" (2001). 4 for Marc, Peter, and Stephen.

> 2. Officers Rust Cohle and Martin Hart.

"True Detective" (2014-). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, and Stephen.

> 3. Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, Chalky White (historical drama).

"Boardwalk Empire" (2010-14). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Calvin,
Joshua, and Stephen.

> 4. Omar Little, Detective William "Bunk" Moreland (crime drama).

"The Wire" (2002-08). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 5. Al Swearengen, Doc Cochran (historical drama).

"Deadwood" (2004-06). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Calvin, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 6. Nate Fisher, Brenda Chenowith (family drama).

"Six Feet Under" (2001-05). 4 for Marc, Peter, Joshua, and Stephen.

> For #7-10, we give you two cast members:

> 7. Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier.

"Entourage" (2004-11). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Stephen.

> 8. Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin.

"True Blood" (2008-14). 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 9. Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (comedy).

"Flight of the Conchords" (2007-09). 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).

"Little Britain" (2003-06). 4 for Calvin. 3 for Peter.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Leisure - Chess

> 1. The queen is the strongest of the pieces. Which is the
> second-strongest?

Rook. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, Erland, Calvin,
Joshua, Rob, and Stephen.

> 2. It is common in the first dozen moves for the king and rook to
> cross each other on the first rank in order to protect the king.
> What is this move called?

Castling. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Joshua,
Rob, and Stephen. 3 for Erland and Björn.

> 3. The game can be drawn in a few ways. What circumstance applies
> if a player's only possible move would expose the king to check?

Stalemate. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, Björn, Calvin,
Rob, and Stephen. 3 for Erland.

> 4. What is the most popular opening move for White? Answer in
> either descriptive or algebraic notation.

P-K4 or e4. I did not accept a description in words. 4 for Marc,
Peter, Dan Tilque, Erland, Calvin, Rob, and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. What name is given to an opening in which a player sacrifices
> material early in order to gain a positional advantage?

Gambit. I did not accept "sacrifice", a term which is not limited to
openings and appeared in the question. 4 for Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Erland, Calvin, and Rob. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. The Polish-born Argentinian Miguel Najdorf played 45 opponents
> simultaneously in São Paulo in 1947, with the result of 39 wins,
> 4 draws, and 2 losses. What made this even more impressive?

He was playing blindfolded. (Giggles *and* full points for
"blinkfolded".) 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Calvin, Joshua, Pete,
Rob, and Stephen. 2 for Erland.

> 7. Who did Bobby Fischer defeat in the 1972 World Championship
> match in Reykjavik?

Boris Spassky. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Calvin, Joshua, Pete, Rob, and Stephen.

> 8. Which former world chess champion entered the Russian
> presidential race in 2007?

Garry Kasparov. 4 for Peter, Erland, Björn, Calvin, Joshua, Pete,
and Stephen.

> 9. P-QB4 or c5 is the most popular and aggressive response to
> White's opening P-K4 or e4. What is this defence? Hint:
> some may find the sound of the name threatening.

Sicilian Defense. 4 for Marc, Peter, Erland, Calvin, and Rob.

> 10. Name the opponent that beat Garry Kasparov 3½-2½ in a
> well-publicized 1997 rematch.

Deep Blue. (An IBM computer.) 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Björn, Calvin, Rob, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci His Ent Lei
Marc Dashevsky 32 32 28 36 128
Stephen Perry 40 20 32 32 124
Peter Smyth 28 24 31 40 123
Joshua Kreitzer 28 36 24 25 113
Dan Blum 32 20 20 24 96
Dan Tilque 28 28 0 28 84
"Calvin" 14 14 12 40 80
Rob Parker 32 12 0 36 80
Erland Sommarskog 11 20 0 32 63
Bruce Bowler 38 8 -- -- 46
Pete Gayde 12 16 0 12 40
Björn Lundin 8 8 0 15 31
Jason Kreitzer 8 8 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader | "Do I look stupid?"
Toronto | "Yes, actually, a little. It's one of your
| -- Spider Robinson, "Lady Slings the Booze"

Peter Smyth

May 2, 2015, 3:54:58 PM5/2/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> > 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).
>
> "Little Britain" (2003-06). 4 for Calvin. 3 for Peter.

Objection - "Little Britain" was produced by the BBC and had nothing to
do with HBO. HBO were only involved in the sequel "Little Britain USA".

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

May 2, 2015, 7:04:46 PM5/2/15
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. Matt Lucas, David Walliams (comedy).
>> "Little Britain" (2003-06). 4 for Calvin. 3 for Peter.

Peter Smyth:
> "Little Britain" was produced by the BBC and had nothing to do with HBO.
> HBO were only involved in the sequel "Little Britain USA".

Correct. Sorry, I assumed MI5 knew what they were talking about.
For the above, read instead:

"Little Britain USA" (2008). 4 for Peter. 3 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci His Ent Lei
Marc Dashevsky 32 32 28 36 128
Stephen Perry 40 20 32 32 124
Peter Smyth 28 24 32 40 124
Joshua Kreitzer 28 36 24 25 113
Dan Blum 32 20 20 24 96
Dan Tilque 28 28 0 28 84
Rob Parker 32 12 0 36 80
"Calvin" 14 14 11 40 79
Erland Sommarskog 11 20 0 32 63
Bruce Bowler 38 8 -- -- 46
Pete Gayde 12 16 0 12 40
Björn Lundin 8 8 0 15 31
Jason Kreitzer 8 8 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader | "...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman
Toronto | Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to