QFTCIBSI Current Events 9-10

८ भ्यु
नपढिएको पहिलो सन्देशमा जानुहोस्

Mark Brader

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, ००:२३:०७१५/१२/१
प्रापक
As usual, this round is running concurrently with other rounds
not about current events.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events

1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
What is his name?

3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
What product was stolen?

7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
trails, and markets. Where will it be located?

10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
Australian made this controversial comment last week?

* Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events

Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the
full name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".

1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event
last July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of
her gold medal after a failed doping test administered during
the Games. What was Hannah's event?

2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
for the second time. Name the player or his team.

3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?

4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
last Tuesday night?

6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.

7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
the title of this third album?

8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
on this list.

--
Mark Brader | And the customary practice seems to be "FIRST,
Toronto | let the cat out of the bag; THEN inform you

Joshua Kreitzer

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, ००:४९:००१५/१२/१
प्रापक
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3qadnSns3NIks8DLnZ2dnUU7-
Y3O...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

Carlos Estevez

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?

Jared Fogle

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Barack Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Belgium

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

Germaine Greer (?)

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

Jamaica

> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?

Golden State Warriors

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?

"25"

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

The New York Times

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

Chicago

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.

Montreal Canadiens

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, ०४:३२:०४१५/१२/१
प्रापक
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?
>
> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?
>
> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Iraq ??

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.
>
> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?
>
> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

Namibia

> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
> The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
> trails, and markets. Where will it be located?
>
> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

Rupert Murdoch

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the
> full name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".
>
> 1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
> Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event
> last July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of
> her gold medal after a failed doping test administered during
> the Games. What was Hannah's event?
>
> 2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
> for the second time. Name the player or his team.
>
> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
> song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?
>
> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

Sri Lanka ??

> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?

Sacramento Kings

> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.
>
> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?
>
> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

New York Times

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, ०७:२१:३७१५/१२/१
प्रापक
In article <3qadnSns3NIks8DL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> As usual, this round is running concurrently with other rounds
> not about current events.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?
Carlos Estevez

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?
Jared Fogel

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.
Barack Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?
Belgium

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.
Halifax; Moncton

> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?
Legos

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.
Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?
South Africa
LA Clippers

> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.
>
> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?
>
> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?
NY Times

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?
>
> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.
Montreal Canadiens

Dan Blum

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, ०९:५०:१३१५/१२/१
प्रापक
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

Charlie Sheen

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?

Jared Fogle

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Barack Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Syria; Egypt

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

Halifax; Gander

> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?

Lego

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

South Africa

> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

Hogan

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

New Zealand; Barbados

> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?

Chicago Bulls; Miami Heat

> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.

number of ornaments hung on one Christmas tree

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?

25

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

New York Times

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

Chicago

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.

New York Rangers; Chicago Blackhawks

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, १२:४६:१४१५/१२/१
प्रापक
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:23:05 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> As usual, this round is running concurrently with other rounds not about
> current events.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on those dates.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

Carlos Estevez

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week. What
> is his name?

Jared Fogle

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray like
> me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late." These
> words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either the person
> who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Barack Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country was
> Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?
>
> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an airport
> in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

Halifax

> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled. What
> product was stolen?

Star wars toys

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond from its
> Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

Botswana

> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto. The
> park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths, trails, and
> markets. Where will it be located?

Toronto :-)

> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

No idea, but he's right (you can choose which meaning of right :-)

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the full
> name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".
>
> 1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
> Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event last
> July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of her gold medal
> after a failed doping test administered during the Games. What was
> Hannah's event?
>
> 2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
> for the second time. Name the player or his team.
>
> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known song
> is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?
>
> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?
>
> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77 last
> Tuesday night?
>
> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000. What
> festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.

Most Christmas lights on his house

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over 3,000,000
> copies sold in its first week of release. What is the title of this
> third album?

25

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South Carolina.
> Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

NY Times

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald in 2014.
> In which US city did this take place?

Chicago

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer the most
> valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of the two NHL
> teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs on this list.

Islanders

Pete

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, १३:१६:०३१५/१२/१
प्रापक
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3qadnSns3NIks8DLnZ2dnUU7-
Y3O...@giganews.com:

> As usual, this round is running concurrently with other rounds
> not about current events.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

Estevez

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?

Fogle

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Barack Obama

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Belgium

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

Montreal

> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?

Star Wars Legos

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

South Africa

> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
> The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
> trails, and markets. Where will it be located?

On the lakefront

> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

Rupert Murdoch; Dame Edna Everidge

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the
> full name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".
>
> 1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
> Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event
> last July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of
> her gold medal after a failed doping test administered during
> the Games. What was Hannah's event?
>
> 2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
> for the second time. Name the player or his team.

BC Lions; Edmonton Eskimos

> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
> song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?

Toussaint

> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?
>
> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?

Golden State Warriors

> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.

Most lights in a Christmas display

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?

25

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

Chicago

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.

Chicago Blackhawks

Pete

Mark Brader

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, १४:०७:०७१५/१२/१
प्रापक
Bruce Bowler:
> No idea, but he's right (you can choose which meaning of right :-)

Well, I can say pretty definitively that you're wrong there.
--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"

Erland Sommarskog

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, १७:०८:५११५/१२/१
प्रापक
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Stephen Harper

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Marocco

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

Montreal

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

Botswana

> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
> The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
> trails, and markets. Where will it be located?

In Toronto. (Hey, in a Stockholm pub that level of accuracy would
be sufficient. :-)

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
> song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?

Thomas

> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

UK

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?

25

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

New York Times

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

North Charleston, SC

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.

New York Rangers

Peter Smyth

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर १, १८:१८:५३१५/१२/१
प्रापक
Mark Brader wrote:

> As usual, this round is running concurrently with other rounds
> not about current events.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?
Estevez
> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?
>
> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.
Hilary Clinton
> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?
Belgium
> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.
Halifax
> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?
Lego
> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.
Mali
> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?
Botswana
> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
> The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
> trails, and markets. Where will it be located?
A disused railway line
> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?
Germaine Greer

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the
> full name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".
>
> 1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
> Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event
> last July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of
> her gold medal after a failed doping test administered during
> the Games. What was Hannah's event?
Marathon
> 2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
> for the second time. Name the player or his team.
Roughriders
> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
> song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?
>
> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?
Sri Lanka
> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?
Golden State Warriors
> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.
Most crackers pulled
> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?
25
> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?
Washington Post
> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?
>
> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.
Montreal Canadiens

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर ३, २३:०९:००१५/१२/३
प्रापक
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I presume the Irregulars will make the current-events round from
next week's Final available to me, and therefore where will be one
more question set in the current-events game.

> * Game 9 (2015-11-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A prominent actor, born in New York on 1965-09-03, last week
> announced that he is HIV-positive. What is his birth name?

Carlos Irwin Estevez. (Charlie Sheen.) 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Pete,
Marc, and Peter.

> 2. A former spokesman for Subway restaurants was sentenced to over
> 15 years on child pornography charges in Indianapolis last week.
> What is his name?

Jared Fogle. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 3. "I just want to point out that I had no gray hair when I was
> in your shoes 7 years ago, and so, if you don't want to go gray
> like me, you need to start dyeing it soon before it's too late."
> These words were uttered in public last Thursday. Name either
> the person who said them, or the person they were directed at.

Barack Obama, Justin Trudeau. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 4. The suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks was killed in a
> police raid in St. Denis, Paris, this week. In which country
> was Abdelhamid Abaaoud born?

Belgium. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Marc, and Peter.

> 5. Two Air France flights were diverted following anonymous threats
> last week. One landed at a Canadian airport, another at an
> airport in the US. Name the city served by either airport.

Halifax, Salt Lake City. 4 for Bruce and Peter. 3 for Dan Blum
and Marc.

> 6. "Thieves put it together for Hamilton heist" read one headline
> in the "Star" last week, when a Toys'R'Us store was burgled.
> What product was stolen?

Lego. I accepted "Star Wars Lego"; this does exist and the reports
I found didn't specify what particular version of Lego was taken.
4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Marc, and Peter.

> 7. At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a hotel in the
> 8th-largest country by area in Africa. Name that country.

Mali. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Pete,
Marc, Erland, and Peter.

> 8. Lucara Diamonds, a Canadian company, announced last week that
> it has recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond
> from its Karowe mine. In which African country is the mine?

Botswana. 4 for Bruce, Erland, and Peter.

> 9. A private donation of $25,000,000 from Judy and Wil Matthews
> will support financing of construction of a new park in Toronto.
> The park, 1.75 km long, will combine walkways, cycling paths,
> trails, and markets. Where will it be located?

Under the Gardiner Expressway (from Strachan Av. to Spadina Av.).
I did not accept "on the lakefront", though it's not far off.
Nor did I accept "Toronto", whether it would be aufficient in a
Stockholm pub or not!

> 10. "Just because you lop off your penis and then wear a dress
> doesn't make you a [expletive deleted] woman." Which 76-year-old
> Australian made this controversial comment last week?

Germaine Greer. (That would be a "she".) 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> Where a sports team is asked for in this round, we require the
> full name, like "Toronto Maple Leafs".

> 1. Canada's Rachel Hannah will receive a bronze medal from Toronto's
> Pan Am Games. The Toronto runner finished fourth in her event
> last July, but winner Gladys Tejada of Peru was stripped of
> her gold medal after a failed doping test administered during
> the Games. What was Hannah's event?

(Women's) marathon. 4 for Peter.

> 2. A 40-year-old quarterback was named the CFL's outstanding player
> for the second time. Name the player or his team.

Henry Burris, Ottawa Redblacks.

> 3. An East Coast music legend died from cancer while his family
> blamed his insatiable appetite for drugs. The man's best-known
> song is "Sonny's Dream". What is his name?

Ron Hynes.

> 4. Justin Trudeau and other Commonwealth heads of government met
> and toasted Queen Elizabeth last week in which island nation?

Malta.

> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
> last Tuesday night?

Golden State Warriors. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Peter.

The streak is still in progress as I post this and is now up to
20 games.

> 6. An Australian man set a Guinness record with a count of 518,838,
> breaking the previous Japanese-held mark by more than 140,000.
> What festive-season record was set? Be fully specific.

Most lights on an artificial Christmas tree.

> 7. The latest album by English singer Adele, following up on her
> earlier ones titled "19" and "21", set a record with over
> 3,000,000 copies sold in its first week of release. What is
> the title of this third album?

"25". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Pete, Erland, and Peter.

> 8. Donald Trump was in the news last week for mocking the
> disability of reporter Serge Kovaleski at a rally in South
> Carolina. Serge Kovaleski works for which newspaper?

New York Times. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc,
and Erland.

> 9. Last week, police officer Jason Van Dike was charged with
> first-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald
> in 2014. In which US city did this take place?

Chicago. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. "Forbes" magazine released their list of the most valuable NHL
> franchises last week. The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer
> the most valuable; they have slipped to third. Name either of
> the two NHL teams that are ranked higher than the Maple Leafs
> on this list.

New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Erland,
and Peter. 3 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Joshua Kreitzer 20 28 12 28 30 16 0 24 24 20 190
Pete Gayde 16 24 16 20 28 16 0 23 24 12 167
Dan Blum 19 28 11 20 28 12 0 21 19 15 162
Stephen Perry 40 40 36 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- 156
Peter Smyth 8 28 7 12 20 16 4 24 28 16 152
Marc Dashevsky 20 28 12 20 8 14 0 16 27 8 145
Dan Tilque 8 19 12 12 20 12 0 8 8 8 99
Erland Sommarskog 7 24 4 8 16 12 0 8 8 12 95
Bruce Bowler 20 20 -- -- -- -- -- -- 24 12 76
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 8 11 12 0 8 -- -- 67

--
Mark Brader | Of course, we'd have to flatten both the iceberg and Wyoming,
Toronto | and that would change what area Wyoming covers, but that's

Mark Brader

नपढिएको,
२०१५ डिसेम्बर २०, ०७:३८:५६१५/१२/२०
प्रापक
Mark Brader:
>> * Game 10 (2015-11-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>> 5. Which NBA team set the record for most consecutive wins to start
>> a regular season at 16, when they destroyed the Lakers 111-77
>> last Tuesday night?
>
> Golden State Warriors. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Peter.
>
> The streak is still in progress as I post this and is now up to
> 20 games.

That was posted on December 3. As it turned out, they didn't lose
a game until December 16; the streak extended to 24 wins, an advance
of 9 on the previous record. Good going. And now you know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Let me know if that is a convincing argument.
m...@vex.net | If it is, I'll try it on myself. --Maria Conlon