Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

QFTCI16 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: CanArtGeo, Train Movies

18 visningar

Mark Brader

oläst,
12 juni 2016 00:19:352016-06-12
till
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-2/canart.pdf

All of these questions celebrate great artists and works of art
in a Canadian geographical context.

I have rearranged the questions in order by picture number.
There were 7 decoys; for each one, you may name the artist if you
like for fun, but for no points.

1. Painting #1 on the handout caused a stir when a Canadian museum
paid what some people felt was too much to acquire it. What is
the *title* of the painting?

2. (decoy)

3. This First Nations artist is celebrated for establishing a style
of art that became known as the Woodland School. Name the
artist of #3.

4. (decoy)

5. (decoy)

6. Of Ukrainian descent, this artist is known for illustrating
books such as "A Prairie Boy's Winter", shown in image #6.
However, many of his works have religious themes and one of them
is a mural in Corpus Christi Church in the Beach in Toronto.
Name him.

7. Which artist, represented by image #7, lived and painted at
Fool's Paradise in Scarborough? The painting shown was donated
by the artist to the Ontario Heritage Trust.

8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
#8 for an example.

9. (decoy)

10. Give the specific *location* of work #10 in the handout.

11. Painting #11 on the handout is called "The Jack Pine".
Where did its painter *die*?

12. The creator of #12 lived in Canada and painted scenes of daily
life in Quebec that are now valued for their anthropological
as well as their artistic value. Who was he?

13. (decoy)

14. The setting of #14, one featured in many of this painter's
works, is contained in the name of the painting. What is
that setting?

15. The painting shown in #15 is found in a certain art gallery
and on the cover of an album by a Canadian musician.
Name *either* the gallery or the album.

16. (decoy)

17. (decoy)

* Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies

This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.

1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.

2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
into a murderous plot.

5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
derail in a populated area.

6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
happening again.

7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.

8. This 1965 film takes place at the time when Fascist Italy has
just collapsed and the Germans are occupying the country in order
to keep the Allies from marching through it. This creates a time
window in which a group of Allied POWs, led by Frank Sinatra,
can escape by hijacking a train. Sinatra's loyalty is questioned
by his group and an insult applied to him appears in the title.

9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
to save the day.

10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
The title refers to the specific train.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"A system which depends upon the secrecy of its algorithm

Dan Blum

oläst,
12 juni 2016 00:50:072016-06-12
till
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada

> 1. Painting #1 on the handout caused a stir when a Canadian museum
> paid what some people felt was too much to acquire it. What is
> the *title* of the painting?

Stripes; Blue and Red

> 8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
> work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
> #8 for an example.

Francis Bacon

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies

> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.

The General

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

The Lady on the Train

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

Silver Streak

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

Throw Momma From the Train

> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.

Runaway Train

> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.

Source Code

> 7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
> inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
> priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
> before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.

Treasure Train

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.

The Taking of Pelham 123

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

Murder on the Orient Express

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

oläst,
12 juni 2016 01:32:172016-06-12
till
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ytudndb3qcJLf8HKnZ2dnUU7-
dPN...@giganews.com:

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada
>
> 8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
> work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
> #8 for an example.

Henry Moore

> 10. Give the specific *location* of work #10 in the handout.

Hockey Hall of Fame

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>
> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
> name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.
>
> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.

"The General"

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

"The Lady Vanishes"

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

"Silver Streak"

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

"Throw Momma from the Train"

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.

"The Taking of Pelham One Two Three"

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

"Murder on the Orient Express"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

oläst,
12 juni 2016 14:11:442016-06-12
till
The General
> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.
The Lady Vanishes
> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.
Silver Streak
> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.
Throw Momma From The Train
Murder On The Orient Express

Peter Smyth

oläst,
12 juni 2016 14:51:552016-06-12
till
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada
>

> 8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
> work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
> #8 for an example.
Henry Moore
> 9. (decoy)
>
> 10. Give the specific location of work #10 in the handout.
The Toronto Maple Leafs stadium

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.
The Taking of Pelham 123
> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.
Murder on the Orient Express

Peter Smyth

swp

oläst,
12 juni 2016 16:19:532016-06-12
till
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 12:19:35 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

oh, my aching back...

> I did not write either of these rounds.

neither did I

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-2/canart.pdf

just when I thought I couldn't be in any more pain, along comes Mark to prove me wrong yet again.

> All of these questions celebrate great artists and works of art
> in a Canadian geographical context.
>
> I have rearranged the questions in order by picture number.
> There were 7 decoys; for each one, you may name the artist if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Painting #1 on the handout caused a stir when a Canadian museum
> paid what some people felt was too much to acquire it. What is
> the *title* of the painting?

voice of fire

> 2. (decoy)
>
> 3. This First Nations artist is celebrated for establishing a style
> of art that became known as the Woodland School. Name the
> artist of #3.

morrisseau?

> 4. (decoy)
>
> 5. (decoy)
>
> 6. Of Ukrainian descent, this artist is known for illustrating
> books such as "A Prairie Boy's Winter", shown in image #6.
> However, many of his works have religious themes and one of them
> is a mural in Corpus Christi Church in the Beach in Toronto.
> Name him.

william kurelek

> 7. Which artist, represented by image #7, lived and painted at
> Fool's Paradise in Scarborough? The painting shown was donated
> by the artist to the Ontario Heritage Trust.

mccarthy?

> 8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
> work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
> #8 for an example.

raffaele monti?

> 9. (decoy)
>
> 10. Give the specific *location* of work #10 in the handout.

the subway platform at college station (the maple leafs mural is on the other side)

> 11. Painting #11 on the handout is called "The Jack Pine".
> Where did its painter *die*?

in a bizarre gardening accident, which the police said was "better left unsolved."

> 12. The creator of #12 lived in Canada and painted scenes of daily
> life in Quebec that are now valued for their anthropological
> as well as their artistic value. Who was he?

kreighoff?

> 13. (decoy)
>
> 14. The setting of #14, one featured in many of this painter's
> works, is contained in the name of the painting. What is
> that setting?

thunder bay?

> 15. The painting shown in #15 is found in a certain art gallery
> and on the cover of an album by a Canadian musician.
> Name *either* the gallery or the album.

bruce cockburn

> 16. (decoy)
>
> 17. (decoy)
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>
> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
> name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.

no, seriously. it wasn't Mark?

> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.

the general

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

the lady vanishes

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

silver streak

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

throw mama from the train

> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.

unstoppable

> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.

source code

> 7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
> inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
> priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
> before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.

the train

> 8. This 1965 film takes place at the time when Fascist Italy has
> just collapsed and the Germans are occupying the country in order
> to keep the Allies from marching through it. This creates a time
> window in which a group of Allied POWs, led by Frank Sinatra,
> can escape by hijacking a train. Sinatra's loyalty is questioned
> by his group and an insult applied to him appears in the title.

von ryan's express (only movie with sinatra in it that I can think of from that era)

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.

the taking of pelham one two three

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

murder on the orient express

swp

Dan Tilque

oläst,
12 juni 2016 16:56:272016-06-12
till
Strangers on a Train

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.
>
> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

Throw Momma from the Train

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

Murder on the Orient Express

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

oläst,
12 juni 2016 17:23:392016-06-12
till
On 2016-06-12 06:19, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-2/canart.pdf
>
> All of these questions celebrate great artists and works of art
> in a Canadian geographical context.
>
> I have rearranged the questions in order by picture number.
> There were 7 decoys; for each one, you may name the artist if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>

> 11. Painting #11 on the handout is called "The Jack Pine".
> Where did its painter *die*?

Under that pine tree ?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>
> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
> name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.
>
> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

Strangers on a Train ? (see 4)

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

Last train to Chicago?

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.
>
> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.

I saw this one, but no name :-(

> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.

I saw this one too, but no name :-(

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

Murder on the Orient Express

Björn

Calvin

oläst,
12 juni 2016 23:31:462016-06-12
till
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 2:19:35 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada

a Pass

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>
> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
> name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.
>
> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.
>
> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

The Lady Vanishes

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.
>
> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

Throw Momma from a Train
Murder on the Orient Express

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

oläst,
13 juni 2016 03:50:102016-06-13
till
In article <Ytudndb3qcJLf8HK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies
>
> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it! In each case,
> name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.
>
> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.
The General

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.
The Lady Vanishes

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.
Silver Streak

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.
Throw Momma From The Train

> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.
Unstoppable

> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.
>
> 7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
> inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
> priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
> before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.
>
> 8. This 1965 film takes place at the time when Fascist Italy has
> just collapsed and the Germans are occupying the country in order
> to keep the Allies from marching through it. This creates a time
> window in which a group of Allied POWs, led by Frank Sinatra,
> can escape by hijacking a train. Sinatra's loyalty is questioned
> by his group and an insult applied to him appears in the title.
Von Ryan's Express

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.
The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.
Murder On The Orient Express

Pete

oläst,
14 juni 2016 23:21:062016-06-14
till
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ytudndb3qcJLf8HKnZ2dnUU7-
dPN...@giganews.com:

The General

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.
>
> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.
>
> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

Throw Mama from the Train

> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.
>
> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.
>
> 7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
> inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
> priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
> before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.

The Train

> 8. This 1965 film takes place at the time when Fascist Italy has
> just collapsed and the Germans are occupying the country in order
> to keep the Allies from marching through it. This creates a time
> window in which a group of Allied POWs, led by Frank Sinatra,
> can escape by hijacking a train. Sinatra's loyalty is questioned
> by his group and an insult applied to him appears in the title.

Von Ryan's Express

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.

The Taking of Pelham 123

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

Murder on the Orient Express

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

oläst,
15 juni 2016 00:42:212016-06-15
till
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

Well, except for one question; see below.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Canadiana - The Geography of Art in Canada

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-2/canart.pdf

> All of these questions celebrate great artists and works of art
> in a Canadian geographical context.

> I have rearranged the questions in order by picture number.
> There were 7 decoys; for each one, you may name the artist if you
> like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried the decoys.

> 1. Painting #1 on the handout caused a stir when a Canadian museum
> paid what some people felt was too much to acquire it. What is
> the *title* of the painting?

"Voice of Fire" (by Barnett Newman). 4 for Stephen.

> 2. (decoy)

Jack Bush ("Centre 3").

> 3. This First Nations artist is celebrated for establishing a style
> of art that became known as the Woodland School. Name the
> artist of #3.

Norval Morrisseau ("Ojibway Indian Shaman"). 4 for Stephen.

> 4. (decoy)

Toni Onley ("Mt. Baker from Galiano Island").

> 5. (decoy)

Christopher Pratt ("Placentia Bay Boat in Winter").

> 6. Of Ukrainian descent, this artist is known for illustrating
> books such as "A Prairie Boy's Winter", shown in image #6.
> However, many of his works have religious themes and one of them
> is a mural in Corpus Christi Church in the Beach in Toronto.
> Name him.

William Kurelek. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Which artist, represented by image #7, lived and painted at
> Fool's Paradise in Scarborough? The painting shown was donated
> by the artist to the Ontario Heritage Trust.

Doris McCarthy ("Wave Movement #8"). 4 for Stephen.

> 8. The biggest public collection of *which famed British artist*'s
> work is in Toronto (most of it donated by the artist)? See image
> #8 for an example.

Henry Moore ("Draped Reclining Woman"). 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 9. (decoy)

Jean-Paul Riopelle (untitled).

> 10. Give the specific *location* of work #10 in the handout.

College subway station, Toronto ("Hockey Knights in Canada" by
Charles Pachter). 4 for Stephen, even if he didn't notice that the
handout used a double image to show both parts of the work.

> 11. Painting #11 on the handout is called "The Jack Pine".
> Where did its painter *die*?

Canoe Lake, in Algonquin Park (accepting either). (Tom Thompson.)

> 12. The creator of #12 lived in Canada and painted scenes of daily
> life in Quebec that are now valued for their anthropological
> as well as their artistic value. Who was he?

Cornelius Krieghoff ("Following the Moose"). 4 for Stephen.

> 13. (decoy)

F.H. Varley ("West Coast Sunset, Vancouver").

> 14. The setting of #14, one featured in many of this painter's
> works, is contained in the name of the painting. What is
> that setting?

North Shore, Baffin I. "Baffin I." was sufficient. ("North Shore,
Baffin Island II" by Lawren Harris).

> 15. The painting shown in #15 is found in a certain art gallery
> and on the cover of an album by a Canadian musician.
> Name *either* the gallery or the album.

Art Gallery of Hamilton, album "Night Vision" by Bruce Cockburn.
("Horse and Train" by Alex Colville. No points for naming only
the musician.)

> 16. (decoy)

A.J. Casson ("Algonquin Park").

> 17. (decoy)

David Milne ("Glass Jar II").

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Entertainment - Train Movies

> This round is about movies that deal with or take place mostly
> on trains. Amazingly, it wasn't Mark who wrote it!

I did correct a couple of the descriptions, though. And since the
original draft had just one movie that wasn't in English, I suggested
a couple of alternative questions, one of which became question #8.

> In each case, name the movie. Generally, the exact title is required.

By the way, I can recommend all of these movies, at least to fans
of the respective genres.

> 1. This 1926 film features Buster Keaton as a train engineer who,
> after being rejected by the Confederate army during the US Civil
> War, has his locomotive stolen by Union spies.

"The General". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, Marc,
and Pete.

> 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

"The Lady Vanishes". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Stephen,
Calvin, and Marc.

> 3. This 1976 comedy was the first collaboration between Gene Wilder
> and Richard Pryor. After Wilder witnesses what could be a
> murder, he gets thrown off the title train.

"Silver Streak". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, and Marc.

This movie was filmed mostly in Canada, and I just happened to be
at Toronto Union Station to see the shooting of one brief scene.

> 4. This 1987 comedy goes meta when, after watching Alfred
> Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train", Danny DeVito's character
> ropes his community-college teacher, played by Billy Crystal,
> into a murderous plot.

"Throw Momma from the Train". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Jason, Stephen, Calvin, Marc, and Pete.

> 5. Based on a real-life incident involving a CSX train, this 2010
> movie features Denzel Washington playing the experienced engineer
> and Chris Pine playing the rookie, as they work together to
> make sure an out-of-control train full of chemicals doesn't
> derail in a populated area.

"Unstoppable". 4 for Stephen and Marc.

> 6. This 2011 sci-fi action film features Jake Gyllenhaal playing
> an army pilot who wakes up on a train to Chicago. A few minutes
> later, the train is destroyed in an explosion. He then wakes
> up again in the exact same place and time, but *with* the
> memory of what just happened -- and now he must stop it from
> happening again.

"Source Code". 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 7. This 1964 film features Burt Lancaster as a French railway
> inspector involved in a plan to stop the Nazis from removing
> priceless French art from Paris and transporting it to Germany
> before the Allies arrive to liberate the city.

"The Train". 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 8. This 1965 film takes place at the time when Fascist Italy has
> just collapsed and the Germans are occupying the country in order
> to keep the Allies from marching through it. This creates a time
> window in which a group of Allied POWs, led by Frank Sinatra,
> can escape by hijacking a train. Sinatra's loyalty is questioned
> by his group and an insult applied to him appears in the title.

"Von Ryan's Express". (The insult is adding the German prefix Von
to his name.) 4 for Stephen, Marc, and Pete.

> 9. This 1974 film features Robert Shaw as the leader of four men
> who hijack a New York City subway train and hold the passengers
> hostage for a million-dollar ransom. It's up to Walter Matthau
> to save the day.

"The Taking of Pelham One Two Three". (The last part was sufficient.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen, Marc, and Pete.

4 out of 7 entrants who got the movie spelled it with digits.
That was correct for the 2009 remake starring Denzel Washington.
Ignore both that and the 1998 TV version with Edward James Olmos;
the original is the one to see.

> 10. This 1974 film has Albert Finney playing a famous detective
> trying to solve a murder that occurs on the train he's aboard.
> Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Lauren Bacall, and many other
> famous actors play smaller roles in this star-studded film.
> The title refers to the specific train.

"Murder on the Orient Express". 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Jason, Peter, Stephen, Björn, Calvin, Marc, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent
Stephen Perry 24 40 64
Marc Dashevsky 0 32 32
Joshua Kreitzer 4 24 28
Dan Blum 0 28 28
Pete Gayde 0 24 24
Jason Kreitzer 0 20 20
Dan Tilque 0 12 12
Peter Smyth 4 8 12
"Calvin" 0 12 12
Björn Lundin 0 4 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Altruism is a fine motive, but if you want results,
m...@vex.net | greed works much better." -- Henry Spencer

Dan Blum

oläst,
15 juni 2016 10:29:592016-06-15
till
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> > help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> > to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> > Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> > is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.

> "The Lady Vanishes". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Stephen,
> Calvin, and Marc.

I should have answered this correctly, but didn't.

Mark Brader

oläst,
15 juni 2016 19:05:142016-06-15
till
Mark Brader:
> > > 2. This 1938 Alfred Hitchcock film has Margaret Lockwood, with the
> > > help of Michael Redgrave, searching for an old woman who seems
> > > to have completely disappeared from the train they are on.
> > > Maybe, if Paul Lukas is to be believed, she never existed and
> > > is only part of our protagonist's hallucinations.
>
> > "The Lady Vanishes". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Stephen,
> > Calvin, and Marc.

Dan Blum:
> I should have answered this correctly, but didn't.

Oops. 4 only for Joshua, Jason, Stephen, Calvin, and Marc.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent
Stephen Perry 24 40 64
Marc Dashevsky 0 32 32
Joshua Kreitzer 4 24 28
Pete Gayde 0 24 24
Dan Blum 0 24 24
Jason Kreitzer 0 20 20
Dan Tilque 0 12 12
Peter Smyth 4 8 12
"Calvin" 0 12 12
Björn Lundin 0 4 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Here I sit, ego the size of a planet..."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Summit (after Douglas Adams)