Calvin's Quiz #370

Calvin

Dec 18, 2014, 4:40:36 AM12/18/14
1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?
2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?
3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?
5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?
6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?
7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?
8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?
10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 18, 2014, 5:15:49 AM12/18/14
"Calvin":
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?

Minerva.

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?
> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

Canada.

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Mercedes-Benz.

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Skiing.

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?

Gualtieri?

> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?

Anachronistically, genetics. At the time, it'd be botany.

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

British.
--
Mark Brader | "On a word boundary, Luke, don't just hack at it...
Toronto | The bytesaber is the ceremonial weapon of the Red-Eye
| Handwaving won't get you anywhere. Attune yourself
| with the Source." -- Tarr / Hastings / Raymond

David B

Dec 18, 2014, 5:38:09 AM12/18/14
1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess
Athena?
2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

Courtney Love.

3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being
replaced by Phil Collins?

Peter Gabriel.

4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

Canada.

5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

VW.

6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Alpine Skiing.

7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland
Islands in 1982?
8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?

Genetics.

10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

British.

--
David

Björn Lundin

Dec 18, 2014, 9:22:22 AM12/18/14
On 2014-12-18 10:40, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?
Uranus

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
Peter Gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?
France

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?
VAG (Volkswagen) - They own Seat too

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?
Slalom

> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?
biology - inheritance

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?
US American

--
Björn

Pete

Dec 18, 2014, 11:02:24 AM12/18/14
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek
> goddess Athena?
> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative
> rock band Hole?

Courtney Love

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British
> band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
> 4 Cirque de
> Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

Canada

> 5 Which car company
> now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto
> Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Alpine skiing

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military
> invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?
> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national
> Rugby Union team?
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work
> in which branch of science?

Chemistry

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

English

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 18, 2014, 11:08:54 AM12/18/14
In article <ce409973-05aa-4335...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?
> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?
> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
Peter Gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?
Canada

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?
Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?
skiing

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?
> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?
genetics

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?
British

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 18, 2014, 3:40:59 PM12/18/14
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek
> goddess Athena?

Juno

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

Courtney Hole

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before
> being replaced by Phil Collins?

Peter Gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

France

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Alpine skiing

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the
> Falkland Islands in 1982?

Galtieri

> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?

The Galtieris :-)

> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of
> science?

Genetics

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

British

Peter Smyth

Dec 18, 2014, 3:47:03 PM12/18/14
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek
> goddess Athena?
Venus
> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?
Courtney Love
> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis
> before being replaced by Phil Collins?
Peter Gabriel
> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?
Canada
> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?
Volkswagen
> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which
> sport?
Alpine Skiing
> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the
> Falkland Islands in 1982?
Galtieri
> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
Pumas
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of
> science?
Genetics
> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?
British

Peter Smyth

Rob Parker

Dec 18, 2014, 6:41:23 PM12/18/14
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess
> Athena?

Minerva

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

Courtney Love

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before
> being replaced by Phil Collins?

Peter Gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

France

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Giant slalom

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland
> Islands in 1982?

Galtieri

> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of
> science?

Genetics

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

English

Rob

swp

Dec 18, 2014, 7:28:16 PM12/18/14
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:40:36 AM UTC-5, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?

minerva

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

courtney love

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?

(saint) peter gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

canada

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

volkswagon

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

skiing

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?

admiral jorge anaya

> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?

pumas

> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?

genetics (Mendel Hall at Villanova University is named for him, it's the science building)

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

british

swp

Dan Tilque

Dec 19, 2014, 3:06:32 AM12/19/14
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?

Vesta?

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

Courtney Love

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?
> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

Canada

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

downhill skiing

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?
> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?
> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?

genetics

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

British

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 19, 2014, 12:13:28 PM12/19/14
"Calvin:"
> > 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?

Dan Tilque:
> Vesta?

Sorry, the question did not say "within 100 asteroid numbers". :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "To the vector go the spoils."
m...@vex.net | -- Norton Juster, "The Dot and the Line"

Calvin

Dec 22, 2014, 3:05:00 AM12/22/14
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:40:36 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who is the Roman goddess of wisdom, equivalent to the Greek goddess Athena?

Minerva

> 2 Who was lead singer of the American alternative rock band Hole?

Courtney Love

> 3 Who was the original lead singer of the British band Genesis before being replaced by Phil Collins?

Peter Gabriel

> 4 Cirque de Soleil was formed in 1984 in which country?

Canada

> 5 Which car company now owns the Audi, Bentley and Skoda brands?

Volkswagen

> 6 Italy's Alberto Tomba won three Olympic gold medals in which sport?

Skiing / Slalom

> 7 Which Argentine President ordered the military invasion on the Falkland Islands in 1982?

Leopoldo Galtieri

> 8 What is the nickname of the Argentine national Rugby Union team?

The / Los Pumas
Giggle points to Erland for suggesting "The Galtieris"

> 9 Gregor Mendel is best remembered for his work in which branch of science?

Genetics [or similar]

> 10 What nationality is scientist Stephen Hawking?

English / British
I erroneously thought he was American for quite a while, hence the question.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 370
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 62 Stephen Perry
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 57 Rob Parker
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 54 Erland S
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 7 57 David Brown
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 6 41 Mark Brader
0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 6 50 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 5 41 Pete Gayde
0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 5 42 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 4 35 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 7 7 7 9 10 4 2 9 8 66 66%

Stephen takes it by the narrowest of margins.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 23, 2014, 6:49:14 PM12/23/14
Calvin wrote:

> Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 370

> 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 5 42 Dan Tilque

I got Q10 right.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Dec 24, 2014, 5:13:48 PM12/24/14
On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:49:14 AM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
> >
> > Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 370
>
> > 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 5 42 Dan Tilque
>
> I got Q10 right.

So you did!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 370
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 63 Stephen Perry
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 64 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 58 Rob Parker
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 55 Erland S