QFTCIWSS Final, Round 10: Challenge

Mark Brader

Jan 14, 2019, 10:49:09 PM1/14/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-08-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days, after which there will be a
few days' hiatus before I begin QFTCICR19.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
("Chall" we? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/r.jpg

Throughout the Final game, in all cases name the person or thing
*emphasized*, whether it is asked for in the form of a question
or not.

Your categories are:

A. Entertainment: TV Adaptations of Movies
B. Science: SHARK ROUND!
C. History: Born the Same Year
D. Miscellaneous: A Day at the Spa
E. Canadiana Geography: Toronto Libraries
F. Sports: Athletes from Unexpected Countries

* A. TV Adaptations of Movies

A1. The 1983 movie, about a top-secret helicopter and a
government conspiracy, starred Roy Scheider, Warren Oates,
and Malcolm McDowell. The 1984 TV show was about a police
helicopter crew armed with a high-tech helicopter, and
starred Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus -- and
re-used many helicopter shots from the movie, because they
couldn't afford to actually, y'know, run the helicopter.
The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what was it?*

A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
on the campus of the University of Southern California --
which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
share the *same title -- what was it?*

A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*

* B. SHARK ROUND!

B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg

*This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
most recorded attacks on humans.

B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg

*This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
small organisms.

B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg

This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has
the top recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach
sprints of 70 km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*

* C. Born the Same Year

C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg

John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
in what year*, within 1?

C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
*All born in what year*, within 2?

C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg

Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
in what year*, within 1?

* D. A Day at the Spa

D1. *This nail treatment*, introduced by Creative Nail Design
in 2010 and patented, is a hybrid of traditional nail
polish and gel treatments. It is cured using UV light,
after which no drying time is required. The main downside
is that it cannot be removed at home.

D2. *This hair-removal technique* originated in India and
Central Asia as a popular alternative to plucking and waxing.
Thin strands of cotton or polyester are doubled and twisted,
then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, removing it at
the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, it can remove rows
of hair at a time.

D3. *This non-invasive exfoliating skin treatment* is gentler
than its big sister, and doesn't need to be performed by
a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. As it is mechanical
rather than surgical, it can even be done at home.

* E. Toronto Public Library Branches

E1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e1.jpg

*This branch* near Bloor and Yonge houses an extensive
collection of LGBT materials.

E2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e2.jpg

*This branch* has one of the most distinctive library
buildings in the city, so the picture is your only clue.

E3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e3.jpg

*This branch* on Orchard View Blvd. used to have one of
our trivia league's pubs in its basement.

* F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries

F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg

In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?

F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg

In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
Gomes born?

F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg

In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

--
Mark Brader "I am Sam. Sam I am.
Toronto I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Dan Blum

Jan 15, 2019, 12:16:55 AM1/15/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. TV Adaptations of Movies

> A1. The 1983 movie, about a top-secret helicopter and a
> government conspiracy, starred Roy Scheider, Warren Oates,
> and Malcolm McDowell. The 1984 TV show was about a police
> helicopter crew armed with a high-tech helicopter, and
> starred Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus -- and
> re-used many helicopter shots from the movie, because they
> couldn't afford to actually, y'know, run the helicopter.
> The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what was it?*

Blue Thunder

> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
> John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
> was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
> on the campus of the University of Southern California --
> which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
> share the *same title -- what was it?*

The Paper Chase

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*

Parenthood

> * B. SHARK ROUND!

> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg

> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
> most recorded attacks on humans.

tiger shark

> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg

> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.

whale shark

> * C. Born the Same Year

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg

> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1919

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg

> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1898

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg

> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1976

> * D. A Day at the Spa

> D2. *This hair-removal technique* originated in India and
> Central Asia as a popular alternative to plucking and waxing.
> Thin strands of cotton or polyester are doubled and twisted,
> then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, removing it at
> the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, it can remove rows
> of hair at a time.

threading

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries

> F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg

> In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?

New Zealand

> F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg

> In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
> Gomes born?

Dominican Republic

> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg

> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

Trinidad and Tobago

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 15, 2019, 12:34:45 AM1/15/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:yredndqA6YCtxaDBnZ2dnUU7-
LnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. TV Adaptations of Movies
>
> A1. The 1983 movie, about a top-secret helicopter and a
> government conspiracy, starred Roy Scheider, Warren Oates,
> and Malcolm McDowell. The 1984 TV show was about a police
> helicopter crew armed with a high-tech helicopter, and
> starred Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus -- and
> re-used many helicopter shots from the movie, because they
> couldn't afford to actually, y'know, run the helicopter.
> The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what was it?*

"Blue Thunder"

> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
> John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
> was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
> on the campus of the University of Southern California --
> which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
> share the *same title -- what was it?*

"The Paper Chase"
(I'm pretty sure that USC *does* have a law school, though)

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*

"Parenthood"

> * B. SHARK ROUND!
>
> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg
>
> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.

whale shark

> * C. Born the Same Year
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg
>
> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1917

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg
>
> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1899

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg
>
> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1973

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries
>
> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg
>
> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

Fiji

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jan 15, 2019, 9:47:14 AM1/15/19
Joshua Kreitzer <grom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> > 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
> > John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> > they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> > University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
> > was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
> > on the campus of the University of Southern California --
> > which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
> > share the *same title -- what was it?*

> "The Paper Chase"
> (I'm pretty sure that USC *does* have a law school, though)

It does (and did when the show was filmed).

Bruce Bowler

Jan 15, 2019, 9:53:26 AM1/15/19
Blue Thunder

> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire John
> Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series was set
> at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed on the campus
> of the University of Southern California -- which doesn't have a
> law school. The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what
> was it?*

The Paper Chase

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred Ed
> Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very young
> Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season. However,
> the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this time starring
> Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and received
> much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV versions all share
> the *same title -- what was it?*
>

> * B. SHARK ROUND!
>
> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg
>
> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for most
> recorded attacks on humans.

Tiger shark

> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg
>
> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about 21
> tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other small
> organisms.

Whale Shark

> B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg
>
> This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has the top
> recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach sprints of 70
> km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*

Mako shark

> * C. Born the Same Year

Nope.

> * D. A Day at the Spa
>
> D1. *This nail treatment*, introduced by Creative Nail Design
> in 2010 and patented, is a hybrid of traditional nail polish and
> gel treatments. It is cured using UV light, after which no
> drying time is required. The main downside is that it cannot be
> removed at home.

Jamberry

> D2. *This hair-removal technique* originated in India and
> Central Asia as a popular alternative to plucking and waxing.
> Thin strands of cotton or polyester are doubled and twisted, then
> rolled over areas of unwanted hair, removing it at the follicle
> level. Unlike tweezing, it can remove rows of hair at a time.

Threading

> D3. *This non-invasive exfoliating skin treatment* is gentler
> than its big sister, and doesn't need to be performed by a
> dermatologist or plastic surgeon. As it is mechanical rather
> than surgical, it can even be done at home.
>

> * E. Toronto Public Library Branches

Nope.

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries

Nope.

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 15, 2019, 2:44:37 PM1/15/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * C. Born the Same Year
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg
>
> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1915

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg
>
> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1904

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg
>
> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1985

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries
>
> F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg
>
> In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?

Greece

> F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg
>
> In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
> Gomes born?

Brazil

> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg
>
> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

India

Calvin

Jan 15, 2019, 7:28:42 PM1/15/19
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 1:49:09 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. TV Adaptations of Movies
>
> A1. The 1983 movie, about a top-secret helicopter and a
> government conspiracy, starred Roy Scheider, Warren Oates,
> and Malcolm McDowell. The 1984 TV show was about a police
> helicopter crew armed with a high-tech helicopter, and
> starred Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus -- and
> re-used many helicopter shots from the movie, because they
> couldn't afford to actually, y'know, run the helicopter.
> The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what was it?*
>
> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
> John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
> was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
> on the campus of the University of Southern California --
> which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
> share the *same title -- what was it?*

The Paper Chase?

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*
>

> * B. SHARK ROUND!
>
> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg
>
> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
> most recorded attacks on humans.

Tiger, Grey Nurse

> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg
> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.

Whale shark

> B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg
>
> This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has
> the top recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach
> sprints of 70 km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*
>

> * C. Born the Same Year
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg
>
> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1917

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg
>
> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1895, 1900

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg
>
> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1969, 1974

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries
>
> F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg
>
> In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?
>
> F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg
>
> In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
> Gomes born?
>
> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg
>
> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

Fiji

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Jan 17, 2019, 3:42:22 PM1/17/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:yredndqA6YCtxaDBnZ2dnUU7-
LnN...@giganews.com:

Paper Chase

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*

Father of the Bride

> * B. SHARK ROUND!
>
> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg
>
> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
> most recorded attacks on humans.

Tiger

> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg
>
> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.
>
> B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg
>
> This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has
> the top recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach
> sprints of 70 km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*
>

> * C. Born the Same Year
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg
>
> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1918; 1915

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg
>
> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1902; 1899

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg
>
> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1978; 1981
New Zealand; Australia

> F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg
>
> In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
> Gomes born?

Ecuador; Bolivia

> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg
>
> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

Fiji

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jan 18, 2019, 1:50:06 AM1/18/19
The Paper Chase

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*
>

> * B. SHARK ROUND!
>
> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg
>
> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
> most recorded attacks on humans.
>
> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg
>
> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.

tiger shark

> B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg
>
> This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has
> the top recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach
> sprints of 70 km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*
>

> * C. Born the Same Year
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg
>
> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1928

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg
>
> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1895

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg
>
> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1996
Fiji

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jan 18, 2019, 9:59:08 PM1/18/19

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-08-07,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
> ("Chall" we? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/r.jpg

The Final game is over and, if there are no errors, DAN BLUM has
managed a 3-point win over Joshua Kreitzer. Hearty congratulations!

QFTCI will resume with QFTCICR19 in a few days.

> Throughout the Final game, in all cases name the person or thing
> *emphasized*, whether it is asked for in the form of a question
> or not.

> Your categories are:

> A. Entertainment: TV Adaptations of Movies
> B. Science: SHARK ROUND!
> C. History: Born the Same Year
> D. Miscellaneous: A Day at the Spa
> E. Canadiana Geography: Toronto Libraries
> F. Sports: Athletes from Unexpected Countries

> * A. TV Adaptations of Movies

> A1. The 1983 movie, about a top-secret helicopter and a
> government conspiracy, starred Roy Scheider, Warren Oates,
> and Malcolm McDowell. The 1984 TV show was about a police
> helicopter crew armed with a high-tech helicopter, and
> starred Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus -- and
> re-used many helicopter shots from the movie, because they
> couldn't afford to actually, y'know, run the helicopter.
> The movie and TV show share the *same title -- what was it?*

"Blue Thunder". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Bruce.

> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
> John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
> was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
> on the campus of the University of Southern California --
> which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
> share the *same title -- what was it?*

"The Paper Chase". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Calvin, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

As Joshua was the first to note, USC does in fact have a law school.
And it's not the case that it opened after the TV series was shot
-- checking at gould.usc.edu, I find that it's had the same main
building since 1970. I have no idea where the question-setter got
the wrong fact from.

> A3. The 1989 movie about a large family starred Steve Martin,
> Dianne Wiest, and Rick Moranis; the 1990 TV show starred
> Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette, Jayne Atkinson, and a very
> young Leonardo DiCaprio, but was canceled after one season.
> However, the movie would be adapted again in 2010, this
> time starring Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard,
> and Craig T. Nelson, and this version ran 6 seasons and
> received much critical acclaim. The movie and both TV
> versions all share the *same title -- what was it?*

"Parenthood". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * B. SHARK ROUND!

> B1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b1.jpg

> *This species of shark* is found primarily around the central
> Pacific islands and is second only to the great white for
> most recorded attacks on humans.

Tiger shark. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> B2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b2.jpg

> *This largest species of shark*, typically weighing about
> 21 tons, feeds (unlike most sharks) on plankton and other
> small organisms.

Whale shark. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, and Calvin.

> B3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/shark/b3.jpg

> This shark is sometimes called the bonito shark, and has
> the top recorded swimming speed of any shark, able to reach
> sprints of 70 km/h (45 mph). *Give its other name.*

Shortfin mako shark ("mako" was sufficient but "longfin mako"
was wrong). 4 for Bruce.

> * C. Born the Same Year

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c1.jpg

> John F. Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, Desi Arnaz. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1917 (accepting 1916-18). 4 for Joshua and Calvin. 3 for Pete.

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c2.jpg

> Alfred Hitchcock, Ernest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart.
> *All born in what year*, within 2?

1899 (accepting 1897-1901). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 2 for Calvin
and Pete.

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/when/c3.jpg

> Seth McFarlane, Pharrell Williams, Heidi Klum. *All born
> in what year*, within 1?

1973 (accepting 1972-74). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> * D. A Day at the Spa

> D1. *This nail treatment*, introduced by Creative Nail Design
> in 2010 and patented, is a hybrid of traditional nail
> polish and gel treatments. It is cured using UV light,
> after which no drying time is required. The main downside
> is that it cannot be removed at home.

Shellac.

> D2. *This hair-removal technique* originated in India and
> Central Asia as a popular alternative to plucking and waxing.
> Thin strands of cotton or polyester are doubled and twisted,
> then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, removing it at
> the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, it can remove rows
> of hair at a time.

Threading. 4 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

> D3. *This non-invasive exfoliating skin treatment* is gentler
> than its big sister, and doesn't need to be performed by
> a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. As it is mechanical
> rather than surgical, it can even be done at home.

Microdermabrasion.

> * E. Toronto Public Library Branches

> E1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e1.jpg

> *This branch* near Bloor and Yonge houses an extensive
> collection of LGBT materials.

Yorkville.

> E2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e2.jpg

> *This branch* has one of the most distinctive library
> buildings in the city, so the picture is your only clue.

Lillian H. Smith. (On College near the U of T.)

> E3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/lib/e3.jpg

> *This branch* on Orchard View Blvd. used to have one of
> our trivia league's pubs in its basement.

Northern District. (The library is not the whole building, only
the ground floor. And in case you wondered, the pub closed.)

> * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries

> F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg

> In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?

New Zealand. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> F2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f2.jpg

> In *what country* was former Toronto Blue Jays catcher Yan
> Gomes born?

Brazil. 4 for Erland.

> F3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f3.jpg

> In *what country* was golfer Vijay Singh born?

Fiji. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Spo A&L Geo Mis Sci Cha SIX
Dan Blum 38 22 16 17 18 10 20 32 147
Joshua Kreitzer 23 20 18 27 24 12 8 32 144
Bruce Bowler 20 8 8 -- -- 32 36 24 128
Pete Gayde 13 17 27 4 24 8 20 20 121
"Calvin" 11 14 -- -- 14 8 18 23 88
Dan Tilque -- 4 12 -- 27 12 24 8 87
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 8 -- 20 4 -- 4 36

--
Mark Brader "Inventions reached their limit long ago,
Toronto and I see no hope for further development."

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 19, 2019, 2:38:44 PM1/19/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fcidnRBHWdHqD9_BnZ2dnUU7-
cnN...@giganews.com:

>> A2. The 1978 TV series about law school students ran for
>> 4 seasons, and although the producers were able to hire
>> John Houseman to reprise his role from the 1973 movie,
>> they could not afford to film on the grounds of Harvard
>> University, where the movie was set. Instead, the series
>> was set at a fictional school akin to Harvard, and filmed
>> on the campus of the University of Southern California --
>> which doesn't have a law school. The movie and TV show
>> share the *same title -- what was it?*
>
> "The Paper Chase". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Calvin, Pete,
> and Dan Tilque.
>
> As Joshua was the first to note, USC does in fact have a law school.
> And it's not the case that it opened after the TV series was shot
> -- checking at gould.usc.edu, I find that it's had the same main
> building since 1970. I have no idea where the question-setter got
> the wrong fact from.

Not only the same building since 1970, but USC has had a law school since *
1900.*

https://gould.usc.edu/about/history/

Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:24:11 PM1/24/19
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:59:08 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > * F. Athletes from Unexpected Countries
>
> > F1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/where/f1.jpg
>
> > In *what country* was NBA player Steven Adams born?
>
> New Zealand. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

I just got back from a week in NZ and he was all over the sports pages. So I know it *now* :-)

cheers,
calvin