QFTCIRS Game 2, Rounds 2-3: concurrent, Canadian rivers

Skip to the first unread message

Mark Brader

28 Oct 2019, 3:01:08 am28/10/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events

Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.

1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
machine.

2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
Which mammals?

3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
their last World Series prior to 2016?

4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
only made playing cards. Name the company.

5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
Coast site*? (Two words required.)

6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
this way. Which way?

7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
to provide which human right?

8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
Which empire?

* Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers

Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's
fresh water. Here are questions about some of the rivers. All of
the actual named rivers that we ask for flow entirely through
Canada, though some may have tributaries flowing from the US.

References to the "source" of a river may mean the ultimate source,
via a tributary of a different name, which in some cases is in a
different province or territory.

1. This river is 4,241 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and
its mouth is in the Beaufort Sea. It is completely within the
Northwest Territories. Name the river.

2. This river is 2,338 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and its
mouth is in Great Slave Lake. It flows through the Northwest
Territories and Alberta.

3. This river is 1,939 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
and its mouth is in Lake Winnipeg. It flows through Alberta,
Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

4. This river is 2,575 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
Manitoba. Name the river.

5. This river is 1,271 km long. Its source is in the Laurentian
Mountains, and its mouth is in the St. Lawrence River. It flows
in Ontario and Quebec. Name the river.

6. This river is 1,231 km long. Its source is the Columbia
Icefield and its mouth is in Lake Athabasca. It is completely
within Alberta. Name the river.

7. This river is 982 km long. Its source is Cat Lake, and its mouth
is in James Bay. It is completely in Ontario. Name the river.

8. This river is 1,923 km long. Its source is also Thutade Lake,
and its mouth is in the Slave River. It flows through British
Columbia and Alberta. Name the river.

9. This river is 1,375 km long. Its source is a mountain pass,
and its mouth is in the Strait of Georgia. It is completely
in British Columbia. Name the river.

10. This river is 1,609 km long. Its source is Churchill Lake

--
Mark Brader "Nicely self-consistent. (Pay no attention to
Toronto that D-floating number behind the curtain!)"

Joshua Kreitzer

28 Oct 2019, 3:13:48 am28/10/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y_2dnbjOl_eyDyvAnZ2dnUU7-
K3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Oregon Trail

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

woolly mammoth

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

guillotine

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

women's suffrage

> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Bighorn

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Wright

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Inca; Aztec

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers
>
> Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's
> fresh water. Here are questions about some of the rivers.

I am going to skip these.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

28 Oct 2019, 9:49:35 am28/10/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events

> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Oregon Trail

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

wooly mammoths

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

guillotine

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

universal suffrage
(although I think that didn't actually happen until 1982)

> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Big Horn

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Orville Wright; Wilbur Wright

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Aztec

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

28 Oct 2019, 11:25:17 am28/10/19
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 02:01:03 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-23, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent* events --
> or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile, across
> the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax machine.

Oregon Trail

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals thrived
> on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

Mammoth

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?
>
> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then only
> made playing cards. Name the company.

Sony

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or 10 years
> before the landing of the Puritans at *which East Coast site*? (Two
> words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi was killed
> in France, the last person in Western Europe to die this way. Which
> way?

Guillotine

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution to
> provide which human right?
>
> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Bighorn

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether he had
> any regrets about his invention. Who?

Orville Wright

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its rise
> to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Ottoman

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers
>
> Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's fresh
> water. Here are questions about some of the rivers. All of the actual
> named rivers that we ask for flow entirely through Canada, though some
> may have tributaries flowing from the US.
>
> References to the "source" of a river may mean the ultimate source, via
> a tributary of a different name, which in some cases is in a different
> province or territory.
>
> 1. This river is 4,241 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and
> its mouth is in the Beaufort Sea. It is completely within the
> Northwest Territories. Name the river.

McKenzie

> 2. This river is 2,338 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and its
> mouth is in Great Slave Lake. It flows through the Northwest
> Territories and Alberta.
>
> 3. This river is 1,939 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Lake Winnipeg. It flows through Alberta,
> Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
>
> 4. This river is 2,575 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within Manitoba.
> Name the river.
>
> 5. This river is 1,271 km long. Its source is in the Laurentian
> Mountains, and its mouth is in the St. Lawrence River. It flows in
> Ontario and Quebec. Name the river.

Niagara

Erland Sommarskog

28 Oct 2019, 6:00:35 pm28/10/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Trail of tears

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

Mamuth

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

Guilliotine

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

Right to vote for women

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Inca

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers
>
> Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's
> fresh water. Here are questions about some of the rivers. All of
> the actual named rivers that we ask for flow entirely through
> Canada, though some may have tributaries flowing from the US.
>
> References to the "source" of a river may mean the ultimate source,
> via a tributary of a different name, which in some cases is in a
> different province or territory.
>
> 9. This river is 1,375 km long. Its source is a mountain pass,
> and its mouth is in the Strait of Georgia. It is completely
> in British Columbia. Name the river.

Fraser

Dan Tilque

29 Oct 2019, 12:11:13 am29/10/19
On 10/28/19 12:01 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Oregon Trail

( https://xkcd.com/623/ )

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

mammoths

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

stoned

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

women's suffrage

> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Big Horn

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Wright

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Mughal

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers
>
> Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's
> fresh water. Here are questions about some of the rivers. All of
> the actual named rivers that we ask for flow entirely through
> Canada, though some may have tributaries flowing from the US.
>
> References to the "source" of a river may mean the ultimate source,
> via a tributary of a different name, which in some cases is in a
> different province or territory.
>
> 1. This river is 4,241 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and
> its mouth is in the Beaufort Sea. It is completely within the
> Northwest Territories. Name the river.

MacKenzie River

> 2. This river is 2,338 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and its
> mouth is in Great Slave Lake. It flows through the Northwest
> Territories and Alberta.

Slave River

> 3. This river is 1,939 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Lake Winnipeg. It flows through Alberta,
> Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Saskatchewan River

> 4. This river is 2,575 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
> Manitoba. Name the river.
>
> 5. This river is 1,271 km long. Its source is in the Laurentian
> Mountains, and its mouth is in the St. Lawrence River. It flows
> in Ontario and Quebec. Name the river.

Ottawa River

> 6. This river is 1,231 km long. Its source is the Columbia
> Icefield and its mouth is in Lake Athabasca. It is completely
> within Alberta. Name the river.
>
> 7. This river is 982 km long. Its source is Cat Lake, and its mouth
> is in James Bay. It is completely in Ontario. Name the river.
>
> 8. This river is 1,923 km long. Its source is also Thutade Lake,
> and its mouth is in the Slave River. It flows through British
> Columbia and Alberta. Name the river.
>
> 9. This river is 1,375 km long. Its source is a mountain pass,
> and its mouth is in the Strait of Georgia. It is completely
> in British Columbia. Name the river.

Frasier River

> 10. This river is 1,609 km long. Its source is Churchill Lake
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
> Manitoba. Name the river.

Churchill River

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

29 Oct 2019, 12:31:47 am29/10/19
Dan Tilque:
> Oregon Trail
>
> ( https://xkcd.com/623/ )

"Please post all your answers... based only on your own knowledge."

(But I guess I'll forgive it this time.)
--
Mark Brader | "Don't be silly. A pedant is something you hang
Toronto | round your neck, or else you hang them by the neck."

Dan Tilque

29 Oct 2019, 4:23:22 am29/10/19
On 10/28/19 9:31 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> Oregon Trail
>>
>> ( https://xkcd.com/623/ )
>
> "Please post all your answers... based only on your own knowledge."
>
> (But I guess I'll forgive it this time.)

Anything in parens is not part of my answer. It may be a commentary or a
joke or something else, but it's not my answer. It's been that way for a
very long time.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

29 Oct 2019, 6:01:48 am29/10/19
Dan Tilque:
>>> Oregon Trail
>>>
>>> ( https://xkcd.com/623/ )

Mark Brader:
>> "Please post all your answers... based only on your own knowledge."
>>
>> (But I guess I'll forgive it this time.)

Dan Tilque:
> Anything in parens is not part of my answer.

It's part of your answer posting.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "(And then there were the mtimes.
m...@vex.net | Oh, the mtimes...)" --Steve Summit

Dan Tilque

29 Oct 2019, 4:43:30 pm29/10/19
On 10/29/19 3:01 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:

> Mark Brader:
>>> "Please post all your answers... based only on your own knowledge."
>>>
>>> (But I guess I'll forgive it this time.)
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> Anything in parens is not part of my answer.
>
> It's part of your answer posting.

I'm just being efficient in combining other comments with the answers.
But if you want me to be inefficient...

... OK, I'll be inefficient.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

29 Oct 2019, 10:00:17 pm29/10/19
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 5:01:08 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.
>
> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

Woolly mammoth

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo, Sony

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

Guillotined, capital punishment

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?
>
> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?
>
> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Oppenheimer

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

30 Oct 2019, 7:47:03 pm30/10/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y_2dnbjOl_eyDyvAnZ2dnUU7-
K3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events
>
> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.
>
> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Oregon Trail

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?
>
> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Sony

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

Guillotine

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

Women's vote

> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Big Horn

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Nobel

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

Inca; Aztec
Kingston

> 8. This river is 1,923 km long. Its source is also Thutade Lake,
> and its mouth is in the Slave River. It flows through British
> Columbia and Alberta. Name the river.
>
> 9. This river is 1,375 km long. Its source is a mountain pass,
> and its mouth is in the Strait of Georgia. It is completely
> in British Columbia. Name the river.
>
> 10. This river is 1,609 km long. Its source is Churchill Lake
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
> Manitoba. Name the river.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

31 Oct 2019, 2:39:15 am31/10/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-09-23,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 2 - History - Concurrent Events

> Round 1 was on current events, but Round 2 is on *concurrent*
> events -- or, in some cases, ones that were nearly concurrent.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. In 1843, the Great Migration saw 1,000 emigrants pack up their
> wagons and head out on *which* famous wagon trail? Meanwhile,
> across the Atlantic, Alexander Bain invented the first fax
> machine.

Oregon Trail. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. At the same time as the construction of the pyramids during
> Egypt's Old Kingdom, a continent away these extinct mammals
> thrived on Wrangel Island, off the coast of Siberia.
> Which mammals?

Mammoths (specifically woolly mammoths, but I'll say "mammoths" will
do.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

Wrangel Island is not to be confused with Wrangell Island, Alaska,
which is about 1,600 miles away, and apparently never had woolly
mammoths.

> 3. What was modern-day Turkey known as, when the Chicago Cubs won
> their last World Series prior to 2016?

Ottoman Empire. (That was 1908.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Pete.

> 4. While Jack the Ripper was leaving bodies around London, this
> entertainment company was founded in Japan, although they then
> only made playing cards. Name the company.

Nintendo. (That was 1889. And yes, they still make playing cards.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. The Palace of the Governors in Sante Fe was the seat of the
> New Mexico government for centuries, beginning in 1610, or
> 10 years before the landing of the Puritans at *which East
> Coast site*? (Two words required.)

Plymouth Rock. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 6. American teenagers lined up in droves to see the first "Star
> Wars" movie in theatres. That same year, Hamida Djandoubi
> was killed in France, the last person in Western Europe to die
> this way. Which way?

Execution, specifically by guillotine. (That was 1977. Accepting
either "capital punishment" or equivalent, or what the question was
intended to ask for, the specific method.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Erland, Calvin (the hard way), and Pete.

> 7. The same year that Commander David Scott was driving a moon buggy
> around during Apollo 15, Switzerland changed their constitution
> to provide which human right?

Votes for women. (That was 1971. I accepted "universal suffrage" as
close enough.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Constitutional amendments in Switzerland require a national referendum
-- in which, before the change, women had no vote. Even when the
change was made, it still didn't apply to all elections throughout the
country. Local votes in one canton were only open to men until 1991.

> 8. While the Brooklyn Bridge was under construction (and 6 years
> from completion), a combined force of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne,
> and Arapaho tribes won which decisive battle?

Little Bighorn. (That was 1876. Accepting "Custer's last stand".)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed, this inventor was alive
> to see it (although his brother was not) and was asked whether
> he had any regrets about his invention. Who?

Orville Wright. (First name not required.) 4 for Joshua, Bruce,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Oxford University had been teaching for hundreds of years before
> the foundation of this empire, and continued to teach during its
> rise to prominence and eventual total destruction by colonizers.
> Which empire?

The Aztec Empire was the expected answer (it existed 1428-1521),
but the Inca Empire (1425-1572) clearly qualifies as well. Then, in
the original game, the Mughal or Mogul Empire (1526-1761) was also
accepted on protest, though its destruction was only partly due to
the British. Any of these will do, so: 4 for Joshua (the hard way),
Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete (the hard way).

The Ottoman Empire, however, does not qualify, as its total
destruction was part of World War I.

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Rivers

> Canada has over 2,000,000 lakes and rivers, and 20% of the world's
> fresh water. Here are questions about some of the rivers. All of
> the actual named rivers that we ask for flow entirely through
> Canada, though some may have tributaries flowing from the US.

> References to the "source" of a river may mean the ultimate source,
> via a tributary of a different name, which in some cases is in a
> different province or territory.

> 1. This river is 4,241 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and
> its mouth is in the Beaufort Sea. It is completely within the
> Northwest Territories. Name the river.

Mackenzie R. 4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This river is 2,338 km long. Its source is Thutade Lake and its
> mouth is in Great Slave Lake. It flows through the Northwest
> Territories and Alberta.

Slave R. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. This river is 1,939 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Lake Winnipeg. It flows through Alberta,
> Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Saskatchewan R. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. This river is 2,575 km long. Its source is the Bow Glacier,
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
> Manitoba. Name the river.

Nelson R.

> 5. This river is 1,271 km long. Its source is in the Laurentian
> Mountains, and its mouth is in the St. Lawrence River. It flows
> in Ontario and Quebec. Name the river.

Ottawa R. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. This river is 1,231 km long. Its source is the Columbia
> Icefield and its mouth is in Lake Athabasca. It is completely
> within Alberta. Name the river.

Athabasca R.

> 7. This river is 982 km long. Its source is Cat Lake, and its mouth
> is in James Bay. It is completely in Ontario. Name the river.

Albany R.

> 8. This river is 1,923 km long. Its source is also Thutade Lake,
> and its mouth is in the Slave River. It flows through British
> Columbia and Alberta. Name the river.

Peace R.

> 9. This river is 1,375 km long. Its source is a mountain pass,
> and its mouth is in the Strait of Georgia. It is completely
> in British Columbia. Name the river.

Fraser R. 4 for Erland and Dian Tilque.

> 10. This river is 1,609 km long. Its source is Churchill Lake
> and its mouth is in Hudson Bay. It is completely within
> Manitoba. Name the river.

Churchill R. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Can
Dan Tilque 36 24 60
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 40
Dan Blum 39 0 39
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 28
Pete Gayde 28 0 28
Bruce Bowler 24 4 28
"Calvin" 19 0 19

--
Mark Brader | "I have on occasion manufactured technical terms that
Toronto | have made it into common use in the literature.