Calvin's Quiz #509

Calvin

Nov 15, 2017, 5:48:41 PM11/15/17

1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?
2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?
3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?
4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]
5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?
6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?
7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?
8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?
9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?
10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Nov 15, 2017, 6:29:52 PM11/15/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?
The square root of -1
> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?
Belfast
> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?
Lemon
> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]
Mary Gen?
> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?
Beethoven
> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?
Prince Edward
> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?
Sings
> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?
Olympus
> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?
Blair Witch Project
> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
Cello

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2017, 6:34:25 PM11/15/17
Calvin:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

i.

Which is the square root of -1.

> 2 In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast.

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Orange.

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram
> of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Meg Ryan.

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Berlioz.

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Henry. ("Harry".)

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969
> autobiography by Maya Angelou: "I Know Why The Caged Bird
> ..."?

Sings.

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus.

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and
> Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000
> times its budget?

"The Blair Witch Project".

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble
> consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical
> instrument?

Flute.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's the almost correct solutions that
m...@vex.net are the most dangerous..." -- Dave Eisen

Dan Blum

Nov 15, 2017, 7:20:35 PM11/15/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

square root of -1

> 2 ?In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Portsmouth

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

lemon

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Path?tique'?

Beethoven

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: ?I Know Why The Caged Bird ...??

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo S?nchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

The Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

cello

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Nov 16, 2017, 12:57:49 AM11/16/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

Square root of -1

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Lemon

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of
> "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Meg Ryan

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Andrew Lloyd Webber

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969
> autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient
> gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and
> Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its
> budget?

The Blair Witch Trial

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble
> consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 16, 2017, 8:03:03 AM11/16/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

well, i. You get it for instance by taking sqrt(-1).

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Liverpool

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Piotr Ilitch Tchaikowski

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Harry

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympos

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting
> of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 16, 2017, 8:07:03 AM11/16/17
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
>> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Path?tique'?
>
> Beethoven

Two persons has said this now, and it is somewhat close. To wit, Beethoven's
6th Symphony is the Pastorale. However, that is probably his least
interesting symphony.

Which you certainly cannot say about the work being asked for.

Peter Smyth

Nov 16, 2017, 9:47:27 AM11/16/17
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> >> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Path?tique'?
> >
> > Beethoven
> >

> Two persons has said this now, and it is somewhat close. To wit, Beethoven's
> 6th Symphony is the Pastorale. However, that is probably his least
> interesting symphony.
>
> Which you certainly cannot say about the work being asked for.

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No.8 is also known as "Pathetique".

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 16, 2017, 10:17:30 AM11/16/17
In article <49f115c9-0219-4dbe...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?
square root of -1

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?
Belfast

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?
citrus fruits

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]
Meg Ryan

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?
> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?
> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: ?I Know Why The Caged Bird ...??
sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?
Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?
Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?
cello

---
http://www.avg.com

Bruce Bowler

Nov 16, 2017, 3:13:35 PM11/16/17
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:48:40 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

sqrt(-1)

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast, Northern Ireland

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Citrus

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of
> "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Meg Ryan

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Ludwig Van B.

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Edward

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography
by
> Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo
> Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting
of a
> piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Nov 18, 2017, 4:19:46 AM11/18/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

square root of -1

> 2 In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast, Ireland (this was before Northern Ireland)

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?
> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]
> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Beethoven

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Henry

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

The Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

viola

--
Dan Tilque

Chris F.A. Johnson

Nov 18, 2017, 6:20:07 PM11/18/17
On 2017-11-15, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

Square root of -1

> 2 ??In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Liverpool

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Orange or other citrus fruit

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Mary Eng

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Path??tique'?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Harry

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: ???I Know Why The Caged Bird ...????

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo S??nchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

gwo...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 6:57:51 AM11/20/17
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 10:48:41 PM UTC, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

log(-1) / pi

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Lemon

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Meg Ryan

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Edward

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

The Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

Calvin

Nov 22, 2017, 7:35:29 PM11/22/17
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:48:41 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?

Square root of -1

> 2  In which city was the ill-fated Titanic built?

Belfast

> 3 Which foodstuff is most commonly associated with a zester?

Lemon, but accepting any citrus

> 4 Which actress' first and last names together are an anagram of "Germany"? [BOTH names please]

Meg Ryan

> 5 Which composer's 6th Symphony is known as the 'Pathétique'?

Pyotr Tchaikovsky

> 6 Which royal is the current Earl of Wessex?

Prince Edward

> 7 Which five-letter word completes the title of a 1969 autobiography by Maya Angelou: “I Know Why The Caged Bird ...”?

Sings

> 8 Which mountain in Greece is the legendary home of the Ancient gods?

Olympus

> 9 Which 1999 psychological horror film by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez gained box office receipts worth some 4,000 times its budget?

The Blair Witch Project

> 10 In classical music a piano trio is a chamber ensemble consisting of a piano, a violin and which other musical instrument?

Cello

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 509
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 68 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 69 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 63 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 65 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 7 57 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 48 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 6 53 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 5 40 Erland S
1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 5 44 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
9 7 8 5 4 3 9 10 9 8 72 80%

Gareth takes a tight one via the tie-breaker.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2017, 7:48:04 PM11/22/17
"Calvin":
> 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 7 57 Mark Brader

Nope.
--
Mark Brader | "...being permitted to propel a ton of steel through
Toronto | public places at speeds of up to 33 m/s is not a

gwo...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2017, 10:01:08 AM11/23/17
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 12:35:29 AM UTC, Calvin wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:48:41 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
>
> > 1 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number "i"?
>
> Square root of -1

Well, sure, that's the most common of its many many definitions, and obviously what you were after but ... :)

FWIW: I deliberately chose a mostly-correct answer that can be happily marked wrong as being too ambiguous for fairly-technical reasons. But for those same reasons, sqrt(-1) is *slightly* ambiguous too, just like sqrt(25) is.

TLDR: I don't want the point

Calvin

Dec 3, 2017, 7:37:37 PM12/3/17
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 10:48:04 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 7 57 Mark Brader
>
> Nope.

How so? Looks right to me.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 4, 2017, 4:42:44 AM12/4/17
Mark Brader:
> > Nope.

"Calvin":
> How so? Looks right to me.

Sorry, my misread. (I thought I had one point less.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Do not meddle in the affairs of undefined behavior,
m...@vex.net | for it is subtle and quick to anger.