QFTCIRS Game 8, Rounds 7-8: engineering disasters, CanInventions

Mark Brader

Jan 20, 2020, 12:12:33 AM1/20/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters

It is said that when a surgeon makes a mistake he kills one
person, but when an engineer makes a mistake he kills 100 people.
This round is about famous disasters due to bad engineering.
(Well, in some cases I'd argue about that blame, but it'll do for
a summary.)

1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
2 minutes later a crash. What model?

3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
Department Store in?

8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"Xbern" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions

1. Invented by writer Margaret Atwood, this is a remote signing
device allowing a person to remotely write in ink anywhere in
the world via a tablet PC, the Internet, and a robotic hand.
Conrad Black used it to sign his stupid book when he was
in prison. Name it.

2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
the name "Glad".

3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
television and in movies.

4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
or ointment.

5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
the first of its kind.

6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

7. The first Internet search engine was created by Alan Emtage at
McGill University around 1988. It was used to search FTP
archives on a nightly basis. Eventually it was made available
for public use in 1990. Name the search engine.

8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
standard.

9. This was discovered in 1921 by Toronto doctor Frederick Banting
and further developed at the University of Toronto by Banting,
Charles Best, John Macleod, and Bertram Collip. Banting and
Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
two years later. What was it?

10. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the
area of wireless technology -- he was the first to broadcast on
the AM radio band in 1900 -- and issued the first transatlantic
radio broadcast in 1906. He is also known for inventing what
sound-based technology?

--
Mark Brader | "Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system,
Toronto | but it lacks a lightweight scripting language."

Dan Blum

Jan 20, 2020, 12:33:40 AM1/20/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters

> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Ethiopia; Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

KLM

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg fire

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

Mont Blanc

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

South Korea; Indonesia

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

railroad crash

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions

> 1. Invented by writer Margaret Atwood, this is a remote signing
> device allowing a person to remotely write in ink anywhere in
> the world via a tablet PC, the Internet, and a robotic hand.
> Conrad Black used it to sign his stupid book when he was
> in prison. Name it.

pantograph

> 2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
> in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
> the name "Glad".

plastic wrap

> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

pager

> 4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
> botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
> in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
> likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
> or ointment.

peanut butter

> 5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
> Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
> department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
> the first of its kind.

lane markings

> 6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
> in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
> popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
> 1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
> say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

Maidenform

> 7. The first Internet search engine was created by Alan Emtage at
> McGill University around 1988. It was used to search FTP
> archives on a nightly basis. Eventually it was made available
> for public use in 1990. Name the search engine.

AltaVista

> 8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
> filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
> large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
> needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
> standard.

IMAX

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 20, 2020, 9:53:31 AM1/20/20
On 1/19/20 9:12 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters
>
> It is said that when a surgeon makes a mistake he kills one
> person, but when an engineer makes a mistake he kills 100 people.
> This round is about famous disasters due to bad engineering.
> (Well, in some cases I'd argue about that blame, but it'll do for
> a summary.)
>
> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

Pan Am

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

Mont Blanc

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

Bangladesh

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

railroad crash

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> 10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
> States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
> Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
> from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
> was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?

generator out of sync

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Xbern" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions
>
> 1. Invented by writer Margaret Atwood, this is a remote signing
> device allowing a person to remotely write in ink anywhere in
> the world via a tablet PC, the Internet, and a robotic hand.
> Conrad Black used it to sign his stupid book when he was
> in prison. Name it.
>
> 2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
> in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
> the name "Glad".

plastic wrap

> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

pager

> 4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
> botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
> in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
> likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
> or ointment.

peanut butter

> 5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
> Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
> department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
> the first of its kind.

mileage sign

> 6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
> in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
> popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
> 1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
> say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

Playtex

> 7. The first Internet search engine was created by Alan Emtage at
> McGill University around 1988. It was used to search FTP
> archives on a nightly basis. Eventually it was made available
> for public use in 1990. Name the search engine.

Alta Vista

> 8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
> filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
> large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
> needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
> standard.

IMAX

> 9. This was discovered in 1921 by Toronto doctor Frederick Banting
> and further developed at the University of Toronto by Banting,
> Charles Best, John Macleod, and Bertram Collip. Banting and
> Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
> two years later. What was it?

insulin

> 10. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the
> area of wireless technology -- he was the first to broadcast on
> the AM radio band in 1900 -- and issued the first transatlantic
> radio broadcast in 1906. He is also known for inventing what
> sound-based technology?

public address system

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 20, 2020, 5:01:11 PM1/20/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters
>
> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

Pan-Am

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

Mont Bland

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

South Korea

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

Train collision

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> 10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
> States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
> Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
> from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
> was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?

Overheating

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions
>
> 2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
> in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
> the name "Glad".

Plastic folio

> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

Walkie-talkie

> 5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
> Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
> department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
> the first of its kind.

White lines on the highway

> 6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
> in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
> popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
> 1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
> say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

Levi's

> 10. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the
> area of wireless technology -- he was the first to broadcast on
> the AM radio band in 1900 -- and issued the first transatlantic
> radio broadcast in 1906. He is also known for inventing what
> sound-based technology?

Sonic radar

Pete Gayde

Jan 20, 2020, 5:55:19 PM1/20/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:16KdnTofi-Umq7jDnZ2dnUU7-
XvN...@giganews.com:
Fukushima

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde SST

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

Pan Am; Air France

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg crash

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

St. Bernhard; Mont Blanc

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

Indonesia; South Korea

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?
>
> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> 10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
> States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
> Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
> from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
> was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?

Animal interfered with power line

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Xbern" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions
>
> 1. Invented by writer Margaret Atwood, this is a remote signing
> device allowing a person to remotely write in ink anywhere in
> the world via a tablet PC, the Internet, and a robotic hand.
> Conrad Black used it to sign his stupid book when he was
> in prison. Name it.

Autopen

> 2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
> in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
> the name "Glad".

Plastic bag

> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

Pager

> 4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
> botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
> in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
> likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
> or ointment.

Peanut butter

> 5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
> Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
> department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
> the first of its kind.

Mile markers; Road signs

> 6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
> in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
> popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
> 1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
> say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

Pantyhose

> 7. The first Internet search engine was created by Alan Emtage at
> McGill University around 1988. It was used to search FTP
> archives on a nightly basis. Eventually it was made available
> for public use in 1990. Name the search engine.

Webcrawler

> 8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
> filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
> large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
> needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
> standard.

THX

> 9. This was discovered in 1921 by Toronto doctor Frederick Banting
> and further developed at the University of Toronto by Banting,
> Charles Best, John Macleod, and Bertram Collip. Banting and
> Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
> two years later. What was it?
>
> 10. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the
> area of wireless technology -- he was the first to broadcast on
> the AM radio band in 1900 -- and issued the first transatlantic
> radio broadcast in 1906. He is also known for inventing what
> sound-based technology?

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 20, 2020, 7:58:33 PM1/20/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:16KdnTofi-Umq7jDnZ2dnUU7-
XvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters
>
> It is said that when a surgeon makes a mistake he kills one
> person, but when an engineer makes a mistake he kills 100 people.
> This round is about famous disasters due to bad engineering.
>
> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

Air France; Lufthansa

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg explosion

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

South Korea

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

railroad

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions
>
> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

pager

> 4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
> botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
> in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
> likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
> or ointment.

peanut butter

> 8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
> filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
> large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
> needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
> standard.

IMAX

> 9. This was discovered in 1921 by Toronto doctor Frederick Banting
> and further developed at the University of Toronto by Banting,
> Charles Best, John Macleod, and Bertram Collip. Banting and
> Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
> two years later. What was it?

insulin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Jan 21, 2020, 6:30:20 PM1/21/20
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 3:12:33 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters
>
> It is said that when a surgeon makes a mistake he kills one
> person, but when an engineer makes a mistake he kills 100 people.
> This round is about famous disasters due to bad engineering.
> (Well, in some cases I'd argue about that blame, but it'll do for
> a summary.)
>
> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

Air France, BA

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Hindenburg

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

Blanc

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

Bangladesh, India

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

Railway?

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal

> 10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
> States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
> Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
> from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
> was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Xbern" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2020, 1:26:51 AM1/23/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-11,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Engineering Disasters

> It is said that when a surgeon makes a mistake he kills one
> person, but when an engineer makes a mistake he kills 100 people.
> This round is about famous disasters due to bad engineering.
> (Well, in some cases I'd argue about that blame, but it'll do for
> a summary.)

> 1. When a nuclear power plant shuts down, coolant keeps circulating
> for months or years to control the decay heat that nuclear fuel
> keeps emitting. At one reactor complex, the backup generators
> needed to pump the coolant were built in the basement of the
> reactors, and flooded with seawater in a natural disaster,
> leading to three meltdowns. Name that nuclear power plant.

Fukushima. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete,
Joshua, and Calvin.

> 2. This *model of plane* famously suffered its only fatal crash
> in 2000 when, during takeoff, it hit a strip of metal that had
> fallen from another plane. A tire burst, sending a piece of
> rubber into the fuel tank, resulting in a powerful fire and
> 2 minutes later a crash. What model?

Concorde. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 3. During the Maccabiah Games, a temporary pedestrian bridge
> was hastily constructed and poorly engineered, and collapsed
> when Australia's athletic team was crossing it into the stadium.
> Four died, one from injuries and three from infections caused
> by the polluted river. What country holds the Maccabiah Games?

Israel. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, Joshua, and Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. The deadliest airplane accident in history occurred in Tenerife
> in 1977 when, in heavy fog, a pilot of one Boeing 747 attempted
> to take off, mistaken about his air-traffic-control clearance,
> and collided on the ground with another 747, killing 583 people.
> Name *either airline* involved in this disaster.

KLM, Pan Am. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> 5. This world-famous disaster on 1937-05-06 has been attributed
> to sabotage, a lightning strike, and even a lethal buildup of
> static electricity. A memorial remains in New Jersey at the
> site of the disaster. What disaster does this question refer to?

Burning of the airship Hindenburg. 4 for everyone.

> 6. In 1999, a truck carrying flour and margarine entered a tunnel
> between Italy and France, and midway through the tunnel the
> truck caught fire. 39 people were killed, primarily because
> ventilation was poor and there were numerous miscommunications
> between the French and Italian sides. The tunnel is named
> after the *mountain* that it passes under: what mountain?

Mont-Blanc (or Monte Bianco). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> 7. The Sampoong Department Store collapse was the deadliest modern
> building collapse until 9/11. The building was originally
> planned to be four stories, but a fifth was added and the
> supports moved, resulting in 4 times the weight on each column
> compared to the design. *What country* was the Sampoong
> Department Store in?

South Korea. 4 for Erland and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 8. Kipton, Ohio, was home to a famous accident caused by a watch
> being 4 minutes slow. Nine people were killed, and it led to
> an overhaul of the regulations concerning pocket watches in
> the relevant industry. What kind of accident happened in Kipton?

Train crash. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 9. The world's worst industrial disaster happened in India when a
> Union Carbide plant, after years of poor maintenance, released
> a gas cloud that killed 3,000 to 16,000 nearby residents.
> In what Indian *city* did this disaster occur?

Bhopal. 4 for everyone.

> 10. 2003 featured a great power outage in the northeast United
> States and Canada in which 55,000,000 people lost power.
> Over 100 power plants automatically shut down, all stemming
> from trouble at a single power company in Akron, Ohio. What
> was the initial cause of the problem in Akron?

Trees under the power lines were left unpruned and thermal expansion
on a hot day caused the wires to droop onto them. The trouble then
went unnoticed due to a software bug, and I'm accepting references
to that secondary cause as almost correct (in the original game it
was the expected answer!).

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - Famous Canadian Inventions

I'm suspicious of some of the claims here, but I'm not going to
pursue it. Anyway, this was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Invented by writer Margaret Atwood, this is a remote signing
> device allowing a person to remotely write in ink anywhere in
> the world via a tablet PC, the Internet, and a robotic hand.
> Conrad Black used it to sign his stupid book when he was
> in prison. Name it.

The Long Pen.

> 2. This was originally invented by Harry Wasylyk and Larry Hansen
> in Winnipeg in 1950, bought by Union Carbide, and sold under
> the name "Glad".

Garbage bag. I decided "plastic bag" was insufficiently specific.

> 3. Invented by Alfred J. Gross, a Toronto-based wireless
> communications pioneer, in 1949. His hand-held invention
> has often been synonymous with drug dealers as portrayed on
> television and in movies.

Pager. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. This delicious spreadable *was not* invented by American
> botanist George Washington Carver. Rather, it was created
> in 1884 by Canadian pharmacist Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who
> likened the consistency of his product to that of butter, lard,
> or ointment.

Peanut butter, as you will remember from the previous season.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 5. The first of these driving aids appeared on a highway between
> Ontario and Quebec in 1930, having been invented by Ontario
> department of transport engineer John D. Millar. This was
> the first of its kind.

Accepting any reference to lines along the road. 4 for Dan Blum
and Erland.

> 6. The name for this clothing item was coined by an American
> in 1935 who held the original patent. Canadian Moses Nadler
> popularized this modern marvel, making the first of these in
> 1939 at his Montreal-based Canadian fashion company. You could
> say the public really "supported" the idea. Give the brand name.

Wonderbra.

> 7. The first Internet search engine was created by Alan Emtage at
> McGill University around 1988. It was used to search FTP
> archives on a nightly basis. Eventually it was made available
> for public use in 1990. Name the search engine.

Archie.

> 8. This film industry standard was created by a trio of Canadian
> filmmakers in 1967. After being independently asked to produce
> large-screen films for Expo 67, the filmmakers realized they
> needed different equipment. Name this trademarked equipment
> standard.

IMAX. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 9. This was discovered in 1921 by Toronto doctor Frederick Banting
> and further developed at the University of Toronto by Banting,
> Charles Best, John Macleod, and Bertram Collip. Banting and
> Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
> two years later. What was it?

Insulin. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 10. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the
> area of wireless technology -- he was the first to broadcast on
> the AM radio band in 1900 -- and issued the first transatlantic
> radio broadcast in 1906. He is also known for inventing what
> sound-based technology?

Sonar. 4 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Ent His A+L Sci Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 28 20 28 16 120
Dan Blum 33 24 23 20 29 16 109
Pete Gayde 24 28 27 22 27 8 106
Erland Sommarskog 32 12 16 0 36 8 96
"Calvin" 23 12 20 12 28 0 83
Bruce Bowler 20 20 23 0 -- -- 63
Dan Tilque -- -- 12 0 32 16 60

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The singular of 'data' is not 'anecdote.'"
m...@vex.net | -- Jeff Goldberg