QFTCI5GNM15 Current Events 9-10

Mark Brader

Jun 30, 2015, 12:47:48 AM6/30/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

As usual, these questions are running concurrently with the posting
of regular rounds, currently from Game 10 of the previous season.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events

1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
NBA finals?

2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
Cup playoffs?

3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
of which former Soviet country?

5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
nearly 40 years after it was first released?

6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
ebook reader.

7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
What is it expected to be called?

8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
movie.

9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.

10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

* Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
$465,000,000?

2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
making the US the 21st country to do so?

3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
age 86. Name him.

4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
Name him.

5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
and East York streets, starting in September, to what?

6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
behind in their commitment?

7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
to a shootout. What was the change?

8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
in which hymn?

10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

--
Mark Brader "[This computation] assumed that everything
Toronto would work, a happy state of affairs found

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 30, 2015, 1:45:29 AM6/30/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jL-dnROonK7ugg_InZ2dnUU7-
UWd...@vex.net:

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

Minsk

> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?

Star Wars; Rocky

> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.

"United Passions"

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

Jeb Bush

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

same-sex marriage

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.

Dick Van Patten

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

Patrick Macnee

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

China

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?

"Amazing Grace"

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Tunisia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 30, 2015, 2:46:53 AM6/30/15
In article <jL-dnROonK7ugg_I...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
> for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
> NBA finals?
Stephen Curry

> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?
>
> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?
Rwanda

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?
>
> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?
Star Wars

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.
Amazon

> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?
>
> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.
>
> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.
>
> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?
Donald Trump

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?
Same-Sex Marriage

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.
>
> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.
Patrick Macnee

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?
25 kph, 30 kph

> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?
Bombardier

> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?
3-on-3 overtime

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?
South Korea

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?
Amazing Grace

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?
Tunisia

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 30, 2015, 4:44:56 AM6/30/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?

Victor Hedman

> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

Angola

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

Georgia

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.

Kindle

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

Ted Cruz

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

Legalise same-sex marriages

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?

40 km/h

> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?

Bombardier

> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?

The overtime period before the shootout will be played three players in
each team. (A rule introduced in the Swedish league in the middle of
the most recent season.)

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

England

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?

"We shall overcome"

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Tunisia

bbowler

Jun 30, 2015, 9:26:26 AM6/30/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 23:47:47 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

Same sex marriage (I first read that as 21st century :-)

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at age 86.
> Name him.

Dick Van Patten

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

Patrick McNee

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?
>
> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars ordered
> have been delivered. Which company has been lagging behind in their
> commitment?
>
> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go to a
> shootout. What was the change?

OT periods will be 3 on 3

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing 2-1 in
> the quarter-finals... to who?

England

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech, he
> surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation... in which
> hymn?

Amazing Grace

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Tunisia

Dan Blum

Jun 30, 2015, 10:00:51 AM6/30/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

Angola

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

Georgia

> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?

Star Wars

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.

Amazon

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

Donald Trump; Rand Paul

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?

Verizon; Vodafone

> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

same-sex marriage

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.

Dick van Patten

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

Patrick Macnee

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?

40 kph; 50 kph

> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?

Bombardier

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

China; Australia

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Cote d'Ivoire

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jun 30, 2015, 2:43:14 PM6/30/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
> for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
> NBA finals?
>
> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?
>
> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?
Angola
> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?
Georgia
> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?
Star Wars
> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.
Kindle
> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?
The Winds of Winter
> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.
>
> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.
>
> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?
Jeb Bush

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
Verizon
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?
Same sex marriage
> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.
>
> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.
Patrick Macnee
> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?
20mph
> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?
Bombardier
> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?
One less player on each side during overtime
> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?
England
> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?
Amazing Grace
> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?
Tunisia

Peter Smyth

swp

Jun 30, 2015, 10:16:55 PM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 12:47:48 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> As usual, these questions are running concurrently with the posting
> of regular rounds, currently from Game 10 of the previous season.

noted

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
> for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
> NBA finals?

andre iguodala

> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?

duncan keith

> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

angola

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

georgia

> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?

star wars

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.

amazon

> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?

the winds of winter

> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.

united passions [for the record: team USA just beat team Germany 2-0 in their semi-final match for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup.]

> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.

c-51 (it was on the bbc news, but not on my local stations)

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

donald trump

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?

rogers

> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

gay marriage

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.

dick van patten

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

patrick macnee

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?

25 ; 35

> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?

the one that had the month and a half long strike .. bombardier something-or-other

> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?

teams will play 3-on-3 (plus goalies) and the first team to score wins

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

england

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?

amazing grace

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

tunisia

swp

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 1, 2015, 5:19:05 PM7/1/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 12:47:48 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Armenia?
> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?
Star Wars?
> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.
>
> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?
>
> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.
>
> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.
>
> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?
Rick Santorum?

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?
Gay Marriage
> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.
Dick Van Patten
> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.
Patrick Macnee?

Dan Tilque

Jul 2, 2015, 4:57:20 AM7/2/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
> for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
> NBA finals?

Curry

> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?
>
> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

Rwanda

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

Latvia; Lithuania

> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?

Back to the Future (total wag)

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.

Kindle

> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?
>
> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.
>
> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.

666

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

Cruz

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?
>
> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

same-sex marriage

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.

Dick van Patten

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

Patrick MacNee

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?
>
> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?

Bombardier

> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?
>
> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

England

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?

Amazing Grace

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Tunisia

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 2, 2015, 11:56:45 PM7/2/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

The Current Events game is not over, but hearty congratulations
already go to *STEPHEN PERRY*, as he has already clinched the win!

> * Game 9 (2015-06-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. On Tuesday the Golden State Warriors were crowned NBA champions
> for the first time in 40 years. Who was the MVP for the
> NBA finals?

Andre Iguodala. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning to win
> the Stanley Cup on Monday. Who was the MVP for the Stanley
> Cup playoffs?

Duncan Keith. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Luanda is the world's most expensive city for expatriates,
> according to Mercer's cost-of-living city rankings published
> last week. Luanda is the capital of which African country?

Angola. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, and Stephen.

Two entrants guessed Rwanda, whose capital is Kigali.
6-letter words abound!

> 4. A hippo that escaped from the zoo became a media symbol for
> the heavy rain and flood-related disaster in the capital city
> of which former Soviet country?

Georgia. (The city is Tbilisi.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter,
and Stephen.

> 5. Which popular movie franchise premiered in China last week --
> nearly 40 years after it was first released?

"Star Wars". 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, and Jason.
3 for Joshua.

> 6. Following Marvel's deal with this tech company, comic lovers
> can now access 12,000 comics in digital format, with new ones
> added as they are launched. Name either the company or its
> ebook reader.

Amazon, Kindle. 4 for Marc, Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The fifth season of the TV series "Game of Thrones" came to an
> end last week, leaving several major characters apparently dead,
> and bringing the TV version more or less up to date with the
> original books. Fans are now waiting for George R.R. Martin's
> next book in the sequence to find out what happens next.
> What is it expected to be called?

"The Winds of Winter". 4 for Peter and Stephen.

> 8. Two box-office opening-weekend records were set on Sunday
> last week. While "Jurassic World" made over $500,000,000, a
> poorly-timed biopic on FIFA (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter)
> grossed only $918 at the US box office. Name that ill-fated
> movie.

"United Passions". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. The hacking group Anonymous hacked multiple Canadian government
> websites in retaliation for the recently-passed anti-terrorism
> law. Give the number of the bill that enacted the law.

C-51. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Which US presidential hopeful has been told to stop using the
> song "Rockin' in the Free World" by its writer, Neil Young?

Donald Trump. 4 for Marc and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 10 (2015-06-29), Round 1 - Current Events

In the entire season this was the easiest current-events round, and
the second-easiest round of any kind. (The hardest current-events
round, by the way, was the one in Game 7.)

> 1. Which communications giant is going to buy Mobilicity for
> $465,000,000?

Rogers Communications. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. On Friday, what did the US Supreme Court vote 5-4 to legalize,
> making the US the 21st country to do so?

Same-sex marriage. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Marc, Erland, Bruce,
Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The actor who played quintessential dad Tom Bradford on "Eight
> is Enough", which ran from 1977 to 1981, died this week at
> age 86. Name him.

Dick Van Patten. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Dan Blum, Stephen, Jason,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Fans of the 1960s TV series "The Avengers" are mourning the
> passing of this actor who starred as the unflappable John Steed.
> Name him.

Patrick Macnee. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen,
Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Councillors voted to reduce the speed limit on some Toronto
> and East York streets, starting in September, to what?

30 km/h. 3 for Peter. 2 for Marc.

> 6. TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford made a trip to Thunder
> Bay this week to find out why only 6 of the 50 streetcars
> ordered have been delivered. Which company has been lagging
> behind in their commitment?

Bombardier. 4 for Marc, Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The NHL board of directors voted in favor of a rule change
> intended to reduce the number of regular-season games that go
> to a shootout. What was the change?

Teams will play two men short ("3-on-3") in the 5-minute overtime.
4 for Marc, Erland, Bruce, Peter, and Stephen.

In case of a penalty, instead of the penalized team playing three
men short, the other team gets to put on an additional player.
I presume that the penalty is completed without the overtime ending,
they will then continue with both teams one man short ("4-on-4")
until the next whistle.

> 8. Oh no, Canada! Dreams were dashed on Saturday night when our
> women's team was eliminated from the FIFA tournament, losing
> 2-1 in the quarter-finals... to who?

England. 4 for Erland, Bruce, Peter, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. On Friday Barack Obama gave the eulogy at a ceremony for the
> slain Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopa Church pastor,
> Clementa Pinckney. In addition to his usual stirring speech,
> he surprised everyone by singing, leading the congregation...
> in which hymn?

"Amazing Grace". 4 for Joshua, Marc, Bruce, Peter, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. At least 38 people lost their lives this week in a terrorist
> attack near the beach resort of Sousse in which African country?

Tunisia. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Erland, Bruce, Peter, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Stephen Perry 36 36 36 32 20 24 -- -- 40 36 260
Peter Smyth 0 19 24 16 15 12 8 12 20 31 149
Joshua Kreitzer 8 24 24 12 20 12 4 24 7 20 144
Dan Blum 3 24 16 11 18 7 4 12 19 16 123
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 18 12 8 12 8 8 12 26 120
Dan Tilque 4 20 15 8 8 12 8 3 4 28 103
Erland Sommarskog 4 16 8 12 16 4 4 8 12 20 96
Bruce Bowler 4 24 24 12 -- -- -- -- 0 28 92
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 8 0 8 8 0 8 4 12 68
Pete Gayde 12 20 24 12 -- -- -- -- -- -- 68

--
Mark Brader | "Europe contains a great many cathedrals, which were
Toronto | caused by the Middle Ages, which means they are very old,
| -- Dave Barry

swp

Jul 3, 2015, 5:45:18 PM7/3/15
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 11:56:45 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> > indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> > answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> > give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> > information see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from
> > the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> The Current Events game is not over, but hearty congratulations
> already go to *STEPHEN PERRY*, as he has already clinched the win!

thank you. I got very lucky on the question set this time around.

swp