Rotating Quiz #167

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2015, 12:41:38 AM1/23/15
Welcome to RQ 167. I'd like to thank Dan Blum for setting a quiz that
scared away so many people that I had a chance to win.

The usual rules of conduct and posting apply. The winner of RQ 167
will be the first choice to set RQ 168, in whatever manner they prefer.
Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -5) on Thursday,
2015-01-29; that gives you 6 days and more than 11 hours from the time
of posting.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker who got points on the hardest
questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

Hint:

"Why do you hate Jewish people?"
"Because they sank the Titanic."
"What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
"Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"

Answers may repeat.

1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
the students to fight duels. Name it.

2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
presidency?

4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
(based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
might be used in walls and attics?

5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".

6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.

7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
But what was it called until then?

9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
Name it.

10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

--
Mark Brader "This is... a film... almost without explosions."
Toronto, m...@vex.net --Mark Leeper

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 23, 2015, 1:16:10 AM1/23/15
In article <bPudnT3uzpOMQlzJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> Welcome to RQ 167. I'd like to thank Dan Blum for setting a quiz that
> scared away so many people that I had a chance to win.
>

> The usual rules of conduct and posting apply. The winner of RQ 167
> will be the first choice to set RQ 168, in whatever manner they prefer.
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -5) on Thursday,
> 2015-01-29; that gives you 6 days and more than 11 hours from the time
> of posting.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker who got points on the hardest
> questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>

> Hint:
>
> "Why do you hate Jewish people?"
> "Because they sank the Titanic."
> "What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
> "Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.
Heidel*berg*

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.
>
> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?
Wein*berg*er

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?
fi*berg*lass

> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".
flab*berg*ast

> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.
*Berg*en raise

> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?
*Berg*amot

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?
Koenigs*berg* Germany

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.
Am*berg*ris

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.
Ingmar and Ingrid *Berg*man

I'm going to be away from Usenet from 1/24 - 2/1. In the odd event
that I end up with the highest score, I cede the title to the runner-up.

Dan Blum

Jan 23, 2015, 8:51:15 AM1/23/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Caspar Weinberger

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?

Fiberg

> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".

flabbergast

> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.

Goldberg

> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

bergamot

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Koenigsberg

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.

ambergris

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["H?stsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingmar Bergman and Ingrid Bergman

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 23, 2015, 9:53:36 AM1/23/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Greenberg

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?

Bergamot

> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".

Obergrate :-)

> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.

Bergen raises

> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

Bergamot

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Königsberg

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingemar Bergman and Ingrid Bergman

Calvin

Jan 23, 2015, 3:24:45 PM1/23/15
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 3:41:38 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to RQ 167. I'd like to thank Dan Blum for setting a quiz that
> scared away so many people that I had a chance to win.
>

> The usual rules of conduct and posting apply. The winner of RQ 167
> will be the first choice to set RQ 168, in whatever manner they prefer.
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -5) on Thursday,
> 2015-01-29; that gives you 6 days and more than 11 hours from the time
> of posting.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker who got points on the hardest
> questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>

> Hint:
>
> "Why do you hate Jewish people?"
> "Because they sank the Titanic."
> "What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
> "Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Bonn

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Weinberg

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?

Batts

> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".

Bedazzle

> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.
>
> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

Bergamot

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Konigsberg
I needed this question a few days ago dammit :-)

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.

Name won't come...

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

John Ford :-)

cheers,
calvin

Rob Parker

Jan 23, 2015, 10:35:07 PM1/23/15
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergfjord (?)

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Weinberg

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?
>
> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".
>
> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.
>
> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

bergamot

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Koningsberg

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.

ambergris

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingrid & Ingmar Bergman

Rob

Dan Tilque

Jan 26, 2015, 9:24:52 PM1/26/15
Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to RQ 167. I'd like to thank Dan Blum for setting a quiz that
> scared away so many people that I had a chance to win.
>

> The usual rules of conduct and posting apply. The winner of RQ 167
> will be the first choice to set RQ 168, in whatever manner they prefer.
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -5) on Thursday,
> 2015-01-29; that gives you 6 days and more than 11 hours from the time
> of posting.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker who got points on the hardest
> questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>

> Hint:
>
> "Why do you hate Jewish people?"
> "Because they sank the Titanic."
> "What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
> "Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Caspar Weinberger

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?
>
> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".
>
> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.
>
> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?
>
> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Königsberg

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.
>
> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingrid Bergman and Ingmar Bergman

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Jan 26, 2015, 10:17:29 PM1/26/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bPudnT3uzpOMQlzJnZ2dnUU7-
fed...@vex.net:

> Welcome to RQ 167. I'd like to thank Dan Blum for setting a quiz that
> scared away so many people that I had a chance to win.
>

> The usual rules of conduct and posting apply. The winner of RQ 167
> will be the first choice to set RQ 168, in whatever manner they
prefer.
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -5) on
Thursday,
> 2015-01-29; that gives you 6 days and more than 11 hours from the time
> of posting.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker who got points on the hardest
> questions, and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>

> Hint:
>
> "Why do you hate Jewish people?"
> "Because they sank the Titanic."
> "What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
> "Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Weinberger

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?
>
> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".
>
> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.
>
> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?
>
> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Konigsberg

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.

Ambergris

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingmar Bergman and Ingrid Bergman

Pete

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2015, 2:17:48 PM1/29/15
Rotating Quiz 167 is over and the winner by a razor-thin margin is
MARC DASHEVSKY. Hearty congratulations!

However, Marc is not available to moderate RQ 168, so it'll have
to be the second-place finisher, Dan Blum, who does that. As soon
as you're ready, Dan...

> Hint:

> "Why do you hate Jewish people?"
> "Because they sank the Titanic."
> "What?!? The Titanic was sunk by an iceberg!!"
> "Iceberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"

In other words, all answers contained the substring "berg". And since
I was giving away 4 letters of each answer, I decided I should be
pretty strict about the other ones. So I made the scoring 3 points for
a correct answer correctly spelled, but only 1 point if the spelling
was wrong.

> 1. This scenic university city in Germany is now a popular tourist
> destination, but at one time it was famous for the tendency of
> the students to fight duels. Name it.

Heidelberg. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Erland, Rob, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Another popular tourist destination, this is the westernmost
> major city in Norway. It lies south of the Sognefjord and
> north of the Hardangerfjord. Name it.

Bergen. 3 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. Who was Secretary of Defense for most of Ronald Reagan's
> presidency?

Caspar Weinberger. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
1 for Calvin and Rob.

> 4. This question is in honor of my father. Which trade name
> (based on the ordinary word for the material) refers to certain
> Owens-Corning products, notably a pink-colored insulation that
> might be used in walls and attics?

Fiberglas. With one S, which mattered because I asked for the trade
name as distinct from the ordinary word. 1 for Marc.

Dan Blum guessed "Fiberg", and I wondered if I should give a point for
this, but finally decided not to, because in effect I was asking for
5 letters and he only gave 2 of them. If I had, Marc would still
have won, but it would have been on a tiebreaker (he answered the
harder question 6 while Dan answered the easier question 2).

For the last 25 years or so of his career, my father worked for
Owens-Corning's Canadian affiliate/subsidiary/whatever, Fiberglas
Canada.

> 5. Give the relevant word that means "astonish".

Flabbergast. 3 for Marc and Dan Blum.

> 6. Popular with tournament bridge players (in North America,
> at least), this convention uses jump-shift bids by responder
> artificially to show gradations of support for opener's major
> suit. For example, in the sequence 1 spade - pass - 3 clubs,
> using this method the 3 club bid says nothing about clubs,
> but promises 7-10 high-card points and exactly 4 cards in spades.

Bergen (or Bergen raise). 3 for Marc and Erland.

> 7. Earl Grey tea is flavored with the oil of what fruit?

Bergamot. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, and Rob.

> 8. In 1735 this city contained seven bridges crossing different
> branches of a river, and Leonhard Euler proved that no route
> existed through the city's streets and bridges that would allow
> a person to cross each bridge exactly once. In 1945 the city
> was captured by the Soviets and became Kaliningrad, Russia.
> But what was it called until then?

Königsberg. As the contest is being conducted in English, I also
accepted spellings with -o- as well as with -oe-. 3 for Marc,
Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 1 for Rob.

> 9. This waxy substance is excreted by sperm whales and, although
> foul-smelling when fresh, was used in perfumes and spices.
> Name it.

Ambergris. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Rob, and Pete.

> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.

Ingmar Bergman, Ingrid Bergman. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Rob,
Dan Tilque, and Pete. 1 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 TOTALS

Marc Dashevsky 3 0 3 1 3 3 3 3 3 3 25
Dan Blum 3 3 3 0 3 0 3 3 3 3 24
Pete Gayde 3 3 3 0 0 0 0 3 3 3 18
Erland Sommarskog 3 3 0 0 0 3 3 3 0 1 16
Dan Tilque 3 3 3 0 0 0 0 3 0 3 15
Rob Parker 3 0 1 0 0 0 3 1 3 3 14
"Calvin" 0 3 1 0 0 0 3 3 0 0 10

18 15 14 1 6 6 15 19 12 16

--
Mark Brader | "It is refreshing to have Republican presidential
Toronto | candidates we can believe about *something*.
| And... what Dole says about Bush." --Craig B. Leman

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2015, 3:58:07 PM1/29/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 10. The director and one of the stars of "Autumn Sonata"
>> ["Höstsonaten"] (1978) had similar first names and the same
>> last name, but they were not related. Give *both* their names.
>
> Ingmar Bergman, Ingrid Bergman. 3 for Marc, Dan Blum, Rob,
> Dan Tilque, and Pete. 1 for Erland.

As a defence for calling him Ingemar, I like to point out that there
are 1267 men in Sweden with Ingmar as the first name, whereas there
are 8636.

...eh, wait does not that mean that the error was more than a typo
that could be blamed on the vicinity of "e" and "r" on the keyboard,
and I well deserved my reduction? Most certainly.

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2015, 6:19:43 PM1/29/15
Sorry, I posted the answers and results from RQ 167 earlier today without
changing the subject line. Here they are again, for anyone who wasn't
looking. Everything in this posting below this paragraph is the same as
in the original results posting.