Erland's Occasional Quiz

Erland Sommarskog

May 25, 2019, 9:01:25 AM5/25/19
The joint killing of the rotating quizzes by Stephen Perry and
Dan Blum left me with some questions that I had been considering
for future quizzes.

For this reason, I'm starting a new series of quizzes. Well, series
is maybe not the correct word. They will appear very irregularly
and occasionally as I have questions to fill them up and the time
to compose and score them. Thus, I am not numbering them, and there
is not even a promise that there will be a next one.

Anyway, the rules are as usual. Post answers to the newsgroup. Use
only your knowledge. No googling, and don't ask mom or anyone else.
There is no prize whatsoever, so it does not really matter if there
is a tie, but I will make a subjective evaluation of the incorrect
answer as a tie-breaker if needed.

I plan to score the quiz sometime on Thursday 30th.

1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
prestigious one-day event in which sport?

2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu?

3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
Which country am I talking about?

4. Jack Ma is the founder and head of which Internet giant?

5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?

6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
days ago?

8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?

9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?

10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
comedy series?

Intro to questions 11 & 12:
gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)

11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
name any of the six countries.

12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

Dan Blum

May 25, 2019, 10:22:07 AM5/25/19
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
> prestigious one-day event in which sport?

bicycle racing

> 2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu?

Japan

> 3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
> unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
> resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
> Which country am I talking about?

Kazakhstan

> 5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
> on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?

Pedro Almodovar

> 6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
> Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
> roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

South Korea

> 7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
> days ago?

Nikki Lauda

> 9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
> of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
> as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
> to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
> for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?

Midnight Oil

> 10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
> comedy series?

Python

> Intro to questions 11 & 12:
> gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
> information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
> me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
> I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
> from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
> And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
> ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
> to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)

> 11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
> Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
> name any of the six countries.

Vatican City

> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

Liberia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

May 25, 2019, 4:20:34 PM5/25/19
On 5/25/19 6:01 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
> prestigious one-day event in which sport?

cross country skiing

> 2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu?

Bhutan

> 3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
> unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
> resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
> Which country am I talking about?
>
> 4. Jack Ma is the founder and head of which Internet giant?
>
> 5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
> on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?
>
> 6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
> Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
> roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

Georgia

> 7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
> days ago?
>
> 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
> the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?

India

> 9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
> of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
> as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
> to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
> for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?
>
> 10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
> comedy series?
>
> Intro to questions 11 & 12:
> gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
> information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
> me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
> I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
> from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
> And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
> ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
> to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)
>
> 11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
> Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
> name any of the six countries.

India (also China)

> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

eastern Europe

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 25, 2019, 6:42:38 PM5/25/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> The joint killing of the rotating quizzes by Stephen Perry and
> Dan Blum...

I'd say they were killed by all the people who stopped entering.

> For this reason, I'm starting a new series of quizzes. Well, series
> is maybe not the correct word.

Have fun, if *that's* the correct word.

> 1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
> prestigious one-day event in which sport?

Snowshoeing.

> 2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu.

Japan.

> 3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
> unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
> resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
> Which country am I talking about.

Kazakhstan.

> 4. Jack Ma is the founder and head of which Internet giant.

Alibaba.

> 5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
> on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?

Almodovar.

> 6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
> Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
> roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

Georgia.

> 7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
> days ago?

Senna.

> 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
> the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?

Cambodia.

> 9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
> of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
> as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
> to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
> for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?

ABBA.

> 10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
> comedy series?

Python.

> Intro to questions 11 & 12:
> gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
> information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
> me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
> I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
> from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
> And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
> ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
> to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)
>
> 11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
> Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
> name any of the six countries.

China.

> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

Afghanistan.

(Mostly guesses, but I got tired of tagging them all with "?")
--
Mark Brader | "...what can be asserted without evidence
Toronto | can also be dismissed without evidence."

Calvin

May 26, 2019, 11:08:05 PM5/26/19
On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 11:01:25 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> I'm starting a new series of quizzes.

Thanks.

> 1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
> prestigious one-day event in which sport?

Cycling

> 2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu?
>
> 3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
> unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
> resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
> Which country am I talking about?

Kazakhstan

> 4. Jack Ma is the founder and head of which Internet giant?

Instagram

> 5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
> on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?
>
> 6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
> Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
> roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

South Korea

> 7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
> days ago?

Lauda

> 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
> the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?
>
> 9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
> of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
> as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
> to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
> for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?

Midnight Oil

> 10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
> comedy series?

Python

> Intro to questions 11 & 12:
> gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
> information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
> me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
> I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
> from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
> And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
> ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
> to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)
>
> 11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
> Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
> name any of the six countries.

India

> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

Yemen

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

May 29, 2019, 3:33:50 AM5/29/19
I said that I would score this quiz tomorrow, but for technical reasons,
I'm delaying this until Friday 31st.

Entries are still welcome!

Erland Sommarskog

May 31, 2019, 12:24:50 PM5/31/19
This quiz is over and Dan Blum emerged as the winner the small field
of entrants. Even if the presence in r.g.t has dwindled, I had hoped
for a few more entrants. It could be many regulars here are left-
ponders, and admittedly there were pitiful few questions related to
that part of the world.

Here is the answer slate:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Dan B 1 1 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 1 - - 7
Calvin 1 - 1 - - - 1 - 1 1 - - 5
Mark B - 1 1 1 1 - - - - 1 - - 5
Dan T - - - - - - - - - - - 1 1

The answers:

> 1. Nicknamed "L'enfer du Nord" (The Hell of the North), it is a
> prestigious one-day event in which sport?

Road cycling.

The official name is Paris-Roubaix. According to Wikipedia, the name was
coined after WWI because of the events in that area during the war. One
reason the name has stuck is quite a bit of the race runs over
rough countryside roads with countryside and the like.

> 2. The head of which state claims ancestry to sun goddess Amaterasu?

Japan.

> 3. Earlier this year, the long-time president of this country
> unexpectedly stepped down. It only took ten days after his
> resignation that the national capital was renamed after him.
> Which country am I talking about?

Kazakhstan.

The capital is now known as Nur-Sultan. Which after all is a somewhat
more inspiring name than Astana which means, yes, "captial".

> 4. Jack Ma is the founder and head of which Internet giant?

Alibaba.

> 5. The catalogue of which director includes titles such as "Women
> on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and "All About My Mother"?

Pedro Almódovar

Both films are among my favourties.

> 6. The ancient kingdom of Goguryeo - an older transliteration is
> Koguryo - existed until 668 AD existed on a territory which
> roughly corresponds to which state existing today?

North Korea

Two entrants were close when they entered South Korea. And, true, if you
look it up on Wikiepdia, you will see a map where it extends well south
into present-day South Korea. Like all kingdoms of those days it grew and
shrank, but their core was in the north. That map is from middle of the
5th century. In the next century, Silla and Baekje would push Goguryeo
north of the Han river (which runs through Seoul). Later Silla would first
chrush Baekje and then Goguryeo to unite the Korean peninsula and the
division into north and south would not appear again until 1949. However,
the power base in Korea did switch between north and south through the
years of the united Korea as well.

> 7. Which former racing champion died at the age of 70 just a few
> days ago?

Niki Lauda.

This question was also in Mark's Current Event quiz, which is why I
delayed this posting a day.

> 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
> the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?

Mozambique

The disasters were given quite much attention in the media up here,
but apparently not so much elsewhere.

> 9. This band had their biggest international success in the end
> of the 1980s, but kept on until 2002 when a long hiatus started
> as their lead singer made a political career and was elected
> to the national Senate and also was minister of the government
> for a while. Since 2016 they are active again. What is their name?

Midnight Oil.

They're from Australia, so this was a free point for Calvin. But Dan
Blum knew them too.

> 10. Which popular programming language is named after a British
> comedy series?

Python. As in Monty Python.

> Intro to questions 11 & 12:
> gapminder.org is a site where you can find a wealth of
> information about the state of the world. One that intrigued
> me was the sex ratio (all ages) in the countries of the world.
> I found that the top six countries with male surplus, ranging
> from 131 to 307 men per 100 women are all neighbouring states.
> And likewise, the top six countries with biggest female surplus,
> ranging from 84.8 to 87.9 men per 100 women are all adjacent
> to each other. (These number relates to the situation in 2015.)
>
> 11: Where are the six countries with the highest male surplus located?
> Give a regional description which is specific enough, or just
> name any of the six countries.

The six countries with their numbers:

Saudi Arabia 131
Kuwait 135
Bahrain 161
Oman 184
United Arab Emirates 272
Qatar 307

I would assume that the reason for the huge male surplus is the influx
of guest workers from countries like Nepal, Bangladesh etc mainly in the
construction industry.

India and China were mentioned and while not top 6, India is #10 with 108
and China #13 with 106. The Vatican may beat them all, but they are
not present in the material. (I did not mention that the data comes
from the UN originally and the Vatican is not a UN memeber, as I recall.)
In any case, there is no neighbouring country to the Vatican that qualifies.

> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.

The six are:

Latvia 84,8
Lithuania 85,4
Ukraine 85,9
Russia 86,8
Belarus 87
Estonia 87,9

And Armenia is #7. Georgia is #12 and Moldova #15.

There may be more than one reason, but I believe that at least in case
of Russia, the reason for the imbalance is alcohol, which is attributed
to that the life expectancy for men in Russia is as low as 65.

I had not really intended to approve "Eastern Europe" as it is a little
imprecise - I had intended ex-Soviet states or "North-Eastern Europe",
but I did not want to leave Dan T without any points at all. And he
was the only who was even close to any of the two regions. (Well,
one entrant suggested Yemen - but in the wrong question.)

Thanks everyone for playing!

Mark Brader

May 31, 2019, 1:25:30 PM5/31/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> > 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
> > the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?
>
> Mozambique
>
> The disasters were given quite much attention in the media up here,
> but apparently not so much elsewhere.

I know about the event, but you referred to it by storm name, and that's
not something very memorable in distant parts of the world. To be fair,
even if I'd guessed that this was the disaster in southeastern Africa,
there's some chance I still would've guessed the wrong country.
--
Mark Brader | "There is a pervasive illusion in certain quarters
Toronto | that Mother Nature is our friend. Wrong; dead wrong.
| and she loves surprises." -- Henry Spencer

Erland Sommarskog

May 31, 2019, 1:57:50 PM5/31/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> > 8. Which country suffered severe devastation earlier this year from
>> > the cyclones Idai and Kenneth?
>>
>> Mozambique
>>
>> The disasters were given quite much attention in the media up here,
>> but apparently not so much elsewhere.
>
> I know about the event, but you referred to it by storm name, and that's
> not something very memorable in distant parts of the world. To be fair,
> even if I'd guessed that this was the disaster in southeastern Africa,
> there's some chance I still would've guessed the wrong country.

I will have to admit that I had to look up Idai. Kenneth was more memorable,
since I have a colleague by that name. It was sort of fun to read "Kenneth
causes massive devastation".

Then again, some storm names are certainly well-known. Katrina, for
instance.

But, yes, in hind-sight, I should probably have added African to make
the question more reasonable.

Mark Brader

May 31, 2019, 2:13:53 PM5/31/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> Kenneth was more memorable, since I have a colleague by that name.
> It was sort of fun to read "Kenneth causes massive devastation".

Reminds me of when I had a co-worker whose first name was Israel, and
someone at the office started a collection of headlines about whatever
Israel/Arab conflict was going on at the time. (Israel took it in a
good spirit.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Death has a tendency to encourage
m...@vex.net | a depressing view of war." --Donald Rumsfeld

Dan Tilque

May 31, 2019, 5:25:49 PM5/31/19
On 5/31/19 9:24 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>> 12: And the same question for the six countries with the highest
>> female surplus. Again, Give a regional description which is
>> specific enough, or just name any of the six countries.
>
> The six are:
>
> Latvia 84,8
> Lithuania 85,4
> Ukraine 85,9
> Russia 86,8
> Belarus 87
> Estonia 87,9
>

> I had not really intended to approve "Eastern Europe" as it is a little
> imprecise - I had intended ex-Soviet states or "North-Eastern Europe",
> but I did not want to leave Dan T without any points at all. And he
> was the only who was even close to any of the two regions. (Well,
> one entrant suggested Yemen - but in the wrong question.)

If it makes you feel any better, I was pretty sure it was those exact
countries, except maybe for Ukraine (might have been Poland, instead). I
suppose I should have given one of them as my answer.

--
Dan Tilque