QFTCISG Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2017, 4:05:56 AM9/26/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information see my recent companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
worst damage.

2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
event win. Name her.

3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
start at $100. Name the new airline.

4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
(Full name required.)

5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.

6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.

8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
At *what station* did the attack occur?

10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
it constructed?

* Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
Bull" died last week. Name him.

2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?

3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
at Balmoral Castle?

4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
in attendance. Who is the founder?

5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
large international company to operate there, because it is not a
"fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.

8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

9. Last week one of Canada's most famous rodents died at age 13.
Name that groundhog.

10. Lido Pimienta, the Colombian-Canadian artist, was the dark-horse
winner of the Polaris Prize, one of the Canadian music industry's
most prestigious awards. She won with Latin-style electronic
pop music with socially conscious lyrics in neither of Canada's
official languages. But what you have to do is name any one
of the *other*, better-known artists who were shortlisted for
the award.

--
Mark Brader "C was developed for the programmer
Toronto (two of them, in fact)"

Peter Smyth

Sep 26, 2017, 4:35:50 AM9/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information see my recent companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.
Anguilla
> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.
Sloane Stephens
> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
> start at $100. Name the new airline.
>
> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)
Kim Jong Un
> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name either of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.
>
> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?
1449
> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.
>
> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?
Aung San Soo Kyi
> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?
Parsons Green
> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?
>

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.
Jake LaMotta
> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?
Tommy Vercetti
> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?
Chris Hadfield
> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?
Prince Harry
> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?
>
> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.
Uber
> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.
Vancouver, Edmonton
> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?
>
> 9. Last week one of Canada's most famous rodents died at age 13.
> Name that groundhog.
>
> 10. Lido Pimienta, the Colombian-Canadian artist, was the dark-horse
> winner of the Polaris Prize, one of the Canadian music industry's
> most prestigious awards. She won with Latin-style electronic
> pop music with socially conscious lyrics in neither of Canada's
> official languages. But what you have to do is name any one
> of the other, better-known artists who were shortlisted for
> the award.
Arcade Fire

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Sep 26, 2017, 5:24:45 AM9/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Dominica

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.
>
> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
> start at $100. Name the new airline.
>
> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong-un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.

suspended from his bench for 1 month

> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

$1200

> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.
>
> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Suu Ky

> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?
>
> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1995

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.
>
> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?

Curry

> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?
>
> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?
>
> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys R Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.
>
> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

dotard

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Sep 26, 2017, 8:21:55 AM9/26/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.

Stephens

> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong Un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.

deported him to the US

> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

$650; $800

> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Aun Sun Sang Kyi

> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1980; 1990

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.

LaMotta

> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?

Hadfield

> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys R Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.

Vancouver; Montreal

> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

dotard

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Sep 26, 2017, 1:27:39 PM9/26/17
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 03:05:51 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of current-events
> questions is independent of the concurrent posting of other rounds. For
> further information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures. Name
> *either one* of the two islands which sustained the worst damage.

Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the third
> time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was a 24-year-old
> American who was ranked 957th last month after returning to the tour
> from injury. It was her first Grand Slam event win. Name her.
>
> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will start
> at $100. Name the new airline.
>
> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the outlaw
> regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear test earlier
> this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jun Un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were complaints
> about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of judges has ruled
> against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the two penalties they
> imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.
>
> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared camera,
> and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most expensive
> iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic version in Canadian
> dollars, within $50?

Well it's $1000 US and I think the exchange rate is around 1.15 so I'll
guess $1150 Canadian

> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged under the
> Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for nomination with a
> job offer in order to get him to step aside. Name *either one* of the
> two Liberals on trial.
>
> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the death and
> destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought shelter in
> neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically elected leader of
> Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?
>
> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as passengers
> tried to leave the train and the station. It could have been much
> worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?
>
> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that isn't
> enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations. The
> current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was it
> constructed?
>

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.

Jake Lamotta

> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?
>
> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?
>
> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder in
> attendance. Who is the founder?

Prince Harry

> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US, and
> would be seeking similar protection for its operations in Canada, as
> it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys 'R' Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said to
> pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.
>
> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket Man"; in
> return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

Dotard

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 26, 2017, 1:52:16 PM9/26/17
In article <YOadnUEckfLCl1fE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.
Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.
>
> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
> start at $100. Name the new airline.
>
> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)
Kim Jung Un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.
>
> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?
$1050

> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.
>
> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?
Ang San Su Kyi

> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?
>
> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?
>

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.
Jake LaMotta

> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?
>
> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?
>
> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?
>
> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?
Toys R Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.
>
> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.
>
> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?
dotard

> 9. Last week one of Canada's most famous rodents died at age 13.
> Name that groundhog.
>
> 10. Lido Pimienta, the Colombian-Canadian artist, was the dark-horse
> winner of the Polaris Prize, one of the Canadian music industry's
> most prestigious awards. She won with Latin-style electronic
> pop music with socially conscious lyrics in neither of Canada's
> official languages. But what you have to do is name any one
> of the *other*, better-known artists who were shortlisted for
> the award.

---
http://www.avg.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 26, 2017, 2:33:42 PM9/26/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

Horray, it's back! :-)

> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.

Her first name is Sloane, I remember that from a notice in the paper
this morning. But the last name? Sothers? Or something vaguely resemblent
of that?

> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong-Un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.

Fine of XXX CAD.

> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

99 CAD

> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Aung San Kyi Lee

> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?

Parsons Green

> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1937

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys R Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.

Regina

> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

Insane

Pete Gayde

Sep 27, 2017, 7:48:15 PM9/27/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YOadnUEckfLCl1fEnZ2dnUU7-
VPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information see my recent companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Antigua; Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.

Sloane Stephens

> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
> start at $100. Name the new airline.
>
> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong Un

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.
>
> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

$1100

> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.
>
> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Aun Song Suu Kyi

> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?
>
> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1988

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.

Jake LaMotta

> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?
>
> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?
>
> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?
>
> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys R Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Amazon; Apple

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.

Vancouver; Victoria

> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

Dotard

> 9. Last week one of Canada's most famous rodents died at age 13.
> Name that groundhog.
>
> 10. Lido Pimienta, the Colombian-Canadian artist, was the dark-horse
> winner of the Polaris Prize, one of the Canadian music industry's
> most prestigious awards. She won with Latin-style electronic
> pop music with socially conscious lyrics in neither of Canada's
> official languages. But what you have to do is name any one
> of the *other*, better-known artists who were shortlisted for
> the award.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 29, 2017, 1:05:10 AM9/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YOadnUEckfLCl1fEnZ2dnUU7-
VPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Barbuda

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.

Sloane Stephens

> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong-un

> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

$1,000

> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Aung San Suu Kyi

> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1984

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.

Jake LaMotta

> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?

Prince Harry of Wales

> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys 'R' Us

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber

> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

dotard

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2017, 3:52:39 AM9/29/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my recent companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2017-09-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. While Hurricane Irma sparked one of the greatest evacuations in
> US history in Florida, it actually hit several Caribbean islands
> harder, destroying almost all dwellings and other structures.
> Name *either one* of the two islands which sustained the
> worst damage.

Barbuda, St-Martin (Sint Maarten). I will also accept Anguilla,
a less populated island that took a similar hit, but not Dominica,
which was devastated later by Hurricane Maria. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Marc, Erland, and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 2. The final major of the professional tennis season is the US Open.
> Winner on the men's side was Spaniard Rafael Nadal for the
> third time, but on the women's side the surprise winner was
> a 24-year-old American who was ranked 957th last month after
> returning to the tour from injury. It was her first Grand Slam
> event win. Name her.

Sloane Stephens. "Sloane Sothers" was not quite close enough for an
"almost correct". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 3. Canada has another start-up discount airline. Flights will begin
> in June 2018 from Hamilton and Waterloo airports to Vancouver,
> Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Halifax. The base fares will
> start at $100. Name the new airline.

Canada Jetlines. (Accepting "Jetlines".)

> 4. The United Nations Security Council voted to boost sanctions
> against North Korea for its continued nuclear testing.
> The move caps fuel supplies and bans textile imports from the
> outlaw regime, which launched its sixth and largest nuclear
> test earlier this month. Name the leader of North Korea.
> (Full name required.)

Kim Jong-Un. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland,
Pete, and Joshua. 3 for Bruce.

> 5. The day after the US election, Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel
> wore a "Make America Great Again" cap into his courtroom.
> The hat was part of Donald Trump's campaign, so there were
> complaints about bringing politics into court. Now a panel of
> judges has ruled against Zabel on the issue: name *either* of the
> two penalties they imposed for this breach of judicial conduct.

Reprimand; 30-day suspension without pay. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. At Apple's annual show in California the new iPhone X reportedly
> attracted a big buzz for its edge-to-edge screen, infrared
> camera, and facial-recognition capability. But it is the most
> expensive iPhone ever. What will be the cost of the basic
> version in Canadian dollars, within $50?

$1,319 (accepting $1,269-$1,369). I would have scored answers within
$100 as "almost correct", but there weren't any: Peter was closest
at $130 off.

> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.

Gerry Lougheed, Patricia Sorbara.

> 8. The UN Security Council has condemned violence against Rohingya
> Muslims in Myanmar. Almost 400,000 Rohingyas have fled the
> death and destruction caused by Myanmar troops and have sought
> shelter in neighboring Bangladesh. Who is the democratically
> elected leader of Myanmar, also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate?

Aung Sun Suu Kyi ["An Sung Soo Shee"]. I did not penalize for
small errors in the first two words of the name. 4 for Peter, Marc,
Pete, and Joshua. 3 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 9. An attempted bombing on the London Underground this past week
> caused minor injuries to 29 people and a major panic as
> passengers tried to leave the train and the station. It could
> have been much worse: the bomb didn't explode properly.
> At *what station* did the attack occur?

Parsons Green. 4 for Peter and Erland.

> 10. The Calgary Flames and the City of Calgary seem to be at an
> impasse over plans to build a new arena complex. The city has
> offered to pay 1/3 of the estimated $500,000,000 cost, but that
> isn't enough for the team, which has pulled out of negotiations.
> The current arena is the Saddledome. Within 2 years, when was
> it constructed?

1983 (accepting 1981-85). 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 2 (2017-09-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A famous boxer whose life was portrayed in the movie "Raging
> Bull" died last week. Name him.

Jake LaMotta. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Pete, and Joshua.

> 2. What Canadian NBA player who grew up in the GTA is now
> considering a US $148,000,000 contract extension?

Andrew Wiggins. (Minnesota Timberwolves.)

> 3. What former Canadian astronaut did the Queen receive last week
> at Balmoral Castle?

Governor-General-designate Julie Payette.

> 4. The Invictus Games, for disabled veterans from throughout
> the world, began this past week in Toronto with the founder
> in attendance. Who is the founder?

Prince Henry (better known as Harry). 4 for Peter, Bruce, and Joshua.

> 5. What children's retailer, based on Wayne NJ, announced that
> it is voluntarily filing for bankruptcy protection in the US,
> and would be seeking similar protection for its operations in
> Canada, as it seeks to reorgnize?

Toys 'R' Us. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Erland,
Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. The city of London, England, last week lifted the license of a
> large international company to operate there, because it is not a
> "fit and proper" operator. Name the company.

Uber. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, and Joshua.

> 7. Which Canadian city is considering a proposal to ban balloons
> in its city parks and community centers? The balloons are said
> to pose a risk to children, animals, and the environment.

Vancouver. 3 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. The war of words between President Trump and the North Korean
> dictator continues. Trump dismissed the dictator as "Rocket
> Man"; in return he was lambasted with what 6-letter term?

Dotard. He was also called "mentally deranged", and since it appears
that the original speech was not in English, I am also accepting
"insane". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Erland, Pete,
and Joshua.

> 9. Last week one of Canada's most famous rodents died at age 13.
> Name that groundhog.

Wiarton Willie.

> 10. Lido Pimienta, the Colombian-Canadian artist, was the dark-horse
> winner of the Polaris Prize, one of the Canadian music industry's
> most prestigious awards. She won with Latin-style electronic
> pop music with socially conscious lyrics in neither of Canada's
> official languages. But what you have to do is name any one
> of the *other*, better-known artists who were shortlisted for
> the award.

In the original game the possible expected answers were the late
Leonard Cohen, the not-yet-late Gord Downie, and (Leslie) Feist.
However, http://polarismusicprize.ca/2017-short-list/ shows 6 others
on the shortlist: Badbadnotgood, Lisa Leblanc, Tanya Tagaq, A Tribe
Called Red, Leif Vollebekk, and Weaves. I would have accepted any
of them.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Joshua Kreitzer 20 20 40
Peter Smyth 20 15 35
Dan Blum 15 19 34
Pete Gayde 14 15 29
Bruce Bowler 7 20 27
Marc Dashevsky 12 12 24
Erland Sommarskog 12 12 24
Dan Tilque 11 12 23

--
Mark Brader "If you design for compatibility with a
Toronto donkey cart, what you get is a donkey cart."

Mark Brader

Oct 24, 2017, 7:44:58 PM10/24/17
Mark Brader:
>> 7. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne testified at the trial of two
>> organizers for the provincial Liberal Party who are charged
>> under the Elections Act with trying to bribe a candidate for
>> nomination with a job offer in order to get him to step aside.
>> Name *either one* of the two Liberals on trial.
>
> Gerry Lougheed, Patricia Sorbara.

The trial ended this week when the defense moved that the prosecution
had not made a case; the judge agreed and directed a not-guilty
verdict. One writer's commentary here:

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/10/24/ontarios-liberals-make-legal-history-in-sudbury-bribery-trial-cohn.html

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Unfortunately, real life is usually
m...@vex.net | not a movie." --Al Kriman