rotating quiz #311

swp

Oct 27, 2018, 4:41:06 PM10/27/18
this is Rotating Quiz #311. Entries must be posted by Friday, November 2nd, 2018 at 9 PM (Toronto time). Thank You to Mark Brader for running RQ 310 with a theme that I could figure out.

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

If the answer is a person's name then only the surname is required, but if any other part is given it must be correct or the answer will not count.

There is a theme but it does not affect scoring. Each correct answer is worth 2 points; I do not have any way in mind in which an answer can be almost correct, but if one presents itself such an answer will be worth 1 point.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.

0. 2018 movie situated in lake tahoe starring jeff bridges and dakota johnson

1. tv series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer

2. 2018 tv series starring sarayu blue as emet

3. iconic 1966 spaghetti western starring clint eastwood and lee van cleef

4. 2016 movie about 3 overworked parents starring mila kunis, kathryn hahn, and kristen bell

5. 1995 movie starring will smith and martin lawrence as detectives

6. 1955 spencer tracy movie about a one-armed stranger coming to a tiny town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent means if necessary

7. 2011 movie starring cameron diaz looking to get breast implants

8. 2007 cult classic starring jonah hill as seth and michael cera as evan

9. 2003 movie starring billy bob thornton and bernie mac

good luck!

swp

Dan Tilque

Oct 27, 2018, 9:55:00 PM10/27/18
swp wrote:
> this is Rotating Quiz #311. Entries must be posted by Friday, November 2nd, 2018 at 9 PM (Toronto time). Thank You to Mark Brader for running RQ 310 with a theme that I could figure out.
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> If the answer is a person's name then only the surname is required, but if any other part is given it must be correct or the answer will not count.
>
> There is a theme but it does not affect scoring. Each correct answer is worth 2 points; I do not have any way in mind in which an answer can be almost correct, but if one presents itself such an answer will be worth 1 point.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 0. 2018 movie situated in lake tahoe starring jeff bridges and dakota johnson
>
> 1. tv series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer
>
> 2. 2018 tv series starring sarayu blue as emet
>
> 3. iconic 1966 spaghetti western starring clint eastwood and lee van cleef

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

> 4. 2016 movie about 3 overworked parents starring mila kunis, kathryn hahn, and kristen bell
>
> 5. 1995 movie starring will smith and martin lawrence as detectives
>
> 6. 1955 spencer tracy movie about a one-armed stranger coming to a tiny town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent means if necessary

This wouldn't be the guy who killed Richard Kimble's wife, would it?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 27, 2018, 10:16:17 PM10/27/18
Stephen Perry:
> 1. tv series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with
> inoperable lung cancer

"Breaking Bad".

> 3. iconic 1966 spaghetti western starring clint eastwood and lee van cleef

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

> 4. 2016 movie about 3 overworked parents starring mila kunis, kathryn
> hahn, and kristen bell

"Bad Behavior"?

> 5. 1995 movie starring will smith and martin lawrence as detectives

"Bad Cops".

> 6. 1955 spencer tracy movie about a one-armed stranger coming to a tiny
> town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent
> means if necessary

"Bad Day at Black Rock".

> 7. 2011 movie starring cameron diaz looking to get breast implants

"Bad Teacher".

> 8. 2007 cult classic starring jonah hill as seth and michael cera as evan

"Bad Movie"?

> 9. 2003 movie starring billy bob thornton and bernie mac

"Bad Cops".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | An actual human would feel guilt in this situation.
m...@vex.net | -- Scott Adams: Dilbert

Dan Blum

Oct 28, 2018, 12:01:24 AM10/28/18
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. tv series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer

Breaking Bad

> 3. iconic 1966 spaghetti western starring clint eastwood and lee van cleef

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

> 4. 2016 movie about 3 overworked parents starring mila kunis, kathryn hahn, and kristen bell

Bad Moms

> 5. 1995 movie starring will smith and martin lawrence as detectives

Bad Boys

> 8. 2007 cult classic starring jonah hill as seth and michael cera as evan

Superbad

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Nov 4, 2018, 4:01:19 PM11/4/18
first up, the expected answers

0. 2018 movie situated in lake tahoe starring jeff bridges and dakota johnson

bad times at the el royale

1. tv series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer

breaking bad

Mark and Dan got this one

2. 2018 tv series starring sarayu blue as emet

i feel bad

3. iconic 1966 spaghetti western starring clint eastwood and lee van cleef

the good,the bad, and the ugly

Dan and Mark got this one

4. 2016 movie about 3 overworked parents starring mila kunis, kathryn hahn, and kristen bell

bad moms

Dan got this one

5. 1995 movie starring will smith and martin lawrence as detectives

bad boys

Dan got this one

6. 1955 spencer tracy movie about a one-armed stranger coming to a tiny town possessing a terrible past they want to keep secret, by violent means if necessary

bad day at black rock

Mark got this one

7. 2011 movie starring cameron diaz looking to get breast implants

bad teacher

Mark got this one

8. 2007 cult classic starring jonah hill as seth and michael cera as evan

superbad

Dan got this one

9. 2003 movie starring billy bob thornton and bernie mac

bad santa

A surprisingly low turn out.

Dan Blum is the winner.

and this is the final installment of the rotating quiz series. I thank all of the participants over the years, you made this a lot of fun for me. But like all good things, including Mark's rare entries contests and the mcrib, this too must end.

The credit for coming up with the idea in the first place goes to Calvin, for which he has my eternal gratitude.

My sincere thanks also to Erland Sommarskog who posted the first one, using the title "Erland's Quiz #1".

And of course to my thanks and a round of applause for Mark Brader, who originally suggested using "Rotating Quiz" as the continuing name, which I agreed to use moving forward as the first winner.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 5, 2018, 1:08:41 AM11/5/18
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> and this is the final installment of the rotating quiz series. I thank
> all of the participants over the years, you made this a lot of fun for
> me. But like all good things, including Mark's rare entries contests
> and the mcrib, this too must end.

I would say that Dan Blum has full freedoom to overturn this ruling.
Although it is try that the number of participants in the rotating quizzes
has been dwindling for quite some time.

Dan Blum

Nov 5, 2018, 11:40:50 PM11/5/18
Yes. I would like to see them continue but putting a quiz together for
sometimes just three or four entrants is not ideal.

I won't be able to get a quiz together until early next week anyway, so
maybe people can weigh in on the question in the meantime.

Dan Tilque

Nov 6, 2018, 11:35:01 AM11/6/18
swp wrote:

> A surprisingly low turn out.

You did somehow manage to miss my answer set. Not that it would make a
difference, since I only knew one answer.

As far as continuing this, I think the problem is that some people found
they don't like being quiz master. They're happy to enter quizzes, but
don't like to compose them. It does take a different skill set to set
good quizzes, after all. But with rotating quizzes, they may end up
being quiz master, so they avoid that by not entering. Hence the
decrease in participation.

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Nov 6, 2018, 7:03:09 PM11/6/18
On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 11:35:01 AM UTC-5, Dan Tilque wrote:
> swp wrote:
>

> > A surprisingly low turn out.
>
> You did somehow manage to miss my answer set. Not that it would make a
> difference, since I only knew one answer.

no, you are credited in question #1 as your only correct answer.

swp

Calvin

Nov 6, 2018, 8:38:12 PM11/6/18
That may be a factor, but my quizzes now have only half the entrants they once did.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Nov 7, 2018, 9:06:27 PM11/7/18
No doubt, but there's still about twice as many who enter those or the
Canadian Inquisition quizzes than have been participating in Rotating
quizzes of late.

--
Dan Tilque