Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

QFTCIMI515 Final, Round 10: Challenge Round

Visto 20 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Mark Brader

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 14:21:2328/7/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5

I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!

Art ........ Historical Arthurs
Val ........ Valleys
Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
Victor ..... Sports Winners
Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms

A. Historical Arthurs

A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
last names, please.

A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
need first and last names.

A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
century. What is he better known as?

B. Valleys

In each case, name the valley.

B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
primary city is Kelowna.

B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.

B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
elevation in North America.

C. France's Fashion Designers

In each case, name the designer.

C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
"New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?

C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
his signature.

C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
(no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

D. Sports Winners

D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
most career wins with 511?

D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
with 688?

D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy

E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?

E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
"Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
interactions with other people and that those interactions
are established largely through words?

E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
just name the philosopher.

F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms

In each case, name the movie.

F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
before exiting.

F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
bathtub full of red rose petals.

F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

--
Mark Brader "Although I have not seen any mention of SoftQuad
Toronto or HoTMetaL in the magazine, it is certainly

Marc Dashevsky

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 17:56:4328/7/15
In article <NvednW8HH4y-VSrI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
> each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>
> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
> Val ........ Valleys
> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
> Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>

> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.
Grover Cleveland

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.
Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?
>

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.
>
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.
Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
Dior

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.
LaCoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?
Cy Young

> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?
>
> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?
>

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?
Aristotle

> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?
>
> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.
Nietzsche

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.
Big Lebowski

> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.
American Beauty

> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.
Scarface

Dan Blum

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 17:57:4228/7/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5

> A. Historical Arthurs

> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Chester Alan Arthur

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?

The Duke of Wellington

> B. Valleys

> In each case, name the valley.

> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.

Sun Valley

> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers

> In each case, name the designer.

> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?

Yves Saint Laurent

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.

Jimmy Choo

> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

Lacoste

> D. Sports Winners

> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Nolan Ryan

> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Arnold Palmer; Jack Nicklaus

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy

> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?

Aristotle; Plato

> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?

Wittgenstein

> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.

Nietzsche

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms

> In each case, name the movie.

> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.

American Beauty

> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

Scarface

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 18:16:4828/7/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
> each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>
> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
> Val ........ Valleys
> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
> Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>

> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.
Chester Arthur
> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.
>
> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?
Duke of Wellington

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.
Happy Valley
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.
Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
>
> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
Jimmy Choo
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.
Rene Lacoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?
>
> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?
>
> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?
Woods, Nicklaus

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?
>
> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?
>
> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.
Nietschke

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.
>
> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.
>
> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

Peter Smyth

Calvin

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 20:17:2028/7/15
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 4:21:23 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
> each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>
> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
> Val ........ Valleys
> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
> Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>

> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Arthur Chester

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Woodward, Arthur Bernstein

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?

The Duke of Wellington

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.
>
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.
>

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?

Klein, Laurent

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.

Blahnik

> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

La Coste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Kofax?

> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?
>
> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Nicklaus, Woods
The Big Lebowski
The Dude abides

> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.

American Beauty

> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

The Sound of Music iirc

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 20:48:1728/7/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:NvednW8HH4y-VSrInZ2dnUU7-
bGd...@vex.net:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Chester Arthur

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?

Duke of Wellington

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?

Dior

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.

Louboutin

> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

Lacoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Cy Young

> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Sam Snead

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?

Aristotle

> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.

Nietzsche

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.

"The Big Lebowski"

> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.

"American Beauty"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 20:55:1628/7/15
Chester Alan Arthur
> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.
Arthur Schlesinger
> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?
>

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.
>
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.
>

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
>
> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.
Izod Lacoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?
>
> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?
>
> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?
>

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?
Plato?
> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?
>
> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.
Friedrich Nietzsche

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.
>
> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.
"American Beauty"

Pete

no leída,
28 jul 2015, 22:49:4328/7/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:NvednW8HH4y-VSrInZ2dnUU7-
bGd...@vex.net:

Chester Arthur

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?
>

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.
>
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
>
> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.
>

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Cy Young

> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?

Patrick Roy

> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Jack Nicklaus

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?
>
> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?
>
> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.

Nietsche

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.
>
> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.
>
> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

Scarface

Pete

Dan Tilque

no leída,
29 jul 2015, 3:11:1229/7/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
> each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>
> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
> Val ........ Valleys
> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
> Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms
>

> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Chester A. Arthur

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?

Duke of Wellington

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.

Okanagan Valley

> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.

Ottawa

> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
>
> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

LaCoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Drysdale

> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?
>
> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Snead

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>
> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?

Augustine
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

no leída,
29 jul 2015, 5:15:5129/7/15
Yves Saint-Laurent

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

Lacoste

> D. Sports Winners
>
> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?
>
> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?

Henrik Lundqvist - I hope

> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Nick Faldo
Scarface

Björn

bbowler

no leída,
29 jul 2015, 9:19:2729/7/15
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:21:23 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or
> edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5
>
> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were each
> based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>
> Art ........ Historical Arthurs Val ........ Valleys Frances
> .... France's Fashion Designers Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy John
> ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms

What? No Mark?

> A. Historical Arthurs
>
> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Chester Alan Arthur

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll need
> first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?
>

> B. Valleys
>
> In each case, name the valley.
>
> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its primary
> city is Kelowna.
>
> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.
>
> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley

> C. France's Fashion Designers
>
> In each case, name the designer.
>
> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his "New
> Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist and a full
> skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?
>
> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become his
> signature.
>
> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile (no,
> it's not an alligator) on the chest.

Rene LeCoste
American Beauty

> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features the
> title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a cigar and
> mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

Scarface

Mark Brader

no leída,
31 jul 2015, 4:59:0931/7/15
Mark Brader:
>> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were each
>> based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!
>>
>> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
>> Val ........ Valleys
>> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
>> Victor ..... Sports Winners
>> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
>> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms

Bruce Bowler:
> What? No Mark?

There are only 5 players named Mark in the league currently and they
play for the Cellar Rats, Footloose & Firkin Free, the Night Owls,
and (as you know) the Usual Suspects.
--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."

Mark Brader

no leída,
31 jul 2015, 14:40:1231/7/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

As I noted, Stephen Perry already had this game clinched before
this round appeared. Well done!

I'll be going off-net shortly for a couple of weeks, and with it
being a new season, I figure I might as well wait until I come back
to start the next game. Watch this space for QFTCI5GNM15 Game 1
beginning about 3 weeks from now, as well as QFTCIBSI Current Events
beginning in late September.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round Brought to You by MI5

> I loved the theme for the categories in this round -- they were
> each based, cleverly, on the name of a member of MI5!

> Art ........ Historical Arthurs
> Val ........ Valleys
> Frances .... France's Fashion Designers
> Victor ..... Sports Winners
> Marjorie ... Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy
> John ....... Memorable Movie Bathrooms

But it was the hardest round in the original game.

> A. Historical Arthurs

> A1. Who was the 21st president of the United States? First and
> last names, please.

Chester Arthur. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce. 3 for Calvin.

> A2. What historian won his second Pulitzer Prize for "A Thousand
> Days", a study of the Kennedy administration? Again, we'll
> need first and last names.

Arthur Schlesinger Jr. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> A3. Arthur Wellesley was a British soldier and statesman, one
> of the leading military and political figures of the 19th
> century. What is he better known as?

Duke of Wellington. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> B. Valleys

> In each case, name the valley.

> B1. This region is known for its dry, sunny climate, dry
> landscapes and lakeshore retirement communities. Its
> primary city is Kelowna.

Okanagan Valley. 4 for Dan Tilque.

See:
http://www.obwb.ca/fcm-obwb-workshop/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/pic_scenic.jpg

Of course it isn't *always* dry and sunny.
See: http://i.imgur.com/BvAQY.jpg

> B2. Part of this major river valley follows the transition line
> between the St. Lawrence Lowlands and the Canadian Shield.

Ottawa Valley. 4 for Dan Tilque.

See: http://maps.google.com?ll=45.6,-75&t=k&z=10

> B3. This valley contains Badwater Basin, the point of lowest
> elevation in North America.

Death Valley. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce.

See:
http://campfirechic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Badwater-Basin-Death-Valley-National-Park.jpg

> C. France's Fashion Designers

> In each case, name the designer.

> C1. This designer, born in Granveille, France, in 1905, launched
> his first fashion collection in 1947. The silhouette of his
> "New Look" was characterized by a small, nipped-in waist
> and a full skirt falling below mid-calf length. Who is he?

Christian Dior. 4 for Marc and Joshua.

> C2. The footwear of this designer, born in Paris in 1963,
> incorporates shiny red-lacquered soles that have become
> his signature.

Christian Louboutin. 4 for Joshua.

> C3. This designer, born in Paris in 1904, was also a tennis
> player, and created an iconic tennis shirt with a crocodile
> (no, it's not an alligator) on the chest.

René Lacoste. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Björn, and Bruce.

> D. Sports Winners

> D1. What pitcher holds the Major League Baseball record for
> most career wins with 511?

Cy Young. 4 for Marc, Joshua, and Pete.

> D2. Which goaltender holds the NHL record for most career wins
> with 688?

Martin Brodeur.

> D3. What golfer has the most career wins on the PGA Tour with 82?

Sam Snead. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> E. Marge Madness: The Simpsons and Philosophy

> E1. Marge Simpson displays many virtues: bravery when she
> breaks up a counterfeit jeans ring run out of her garage,
> temperance when she shops at the Ogdenville Outlet Mall,
> and honesty when Bart gets hit by a car and she refuses
> to lie to get a hefty settlement. Which philosopher lists
> virtues like Marge's in his "Nichomachean Ethics"?

Aristotle. 4 for Marc and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> E2. Who shot Mr. Burns? Okay, we'll tell you that: it was
> wordless Maggie, unable to speak and explain why. Now you
> tell us: which philosopher, who titled his autobiography
> "Words", believed that a person's life is characterized by
> interactions with other people and that those interactions
> are established largely through words?

Jean-Paul Sartre.

> E3. Bart is bad to the bone. He burned down the family
> Christmas tree, he fooled the town into thinking there
> was a little boy trapped down a well, and he cheated on an
> IQ test to gain entry to genius school. Could he represent
> the ideal of this philosopher, author of "The Antichrist":
> a free spirit who rejects traditional morality and virtues
> and embraces the chaos of the world? Well, never mind that,
> just name the philosopher.

Friedrich Nietzsche. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Jason,
and Pete.

> F. Memorable Movie Bathrooms

> In each case, name the movie.

> F1. In this movie, a man is relaxing in a tub, de-stressing
> with candles and a joint, when three men wearing body
> suits barge in, drop a marmot into the bath, make some
> vague threats, and declare that they "believe in nothing"
> before exiting.

"The Big Lebowski" (1998). 4 for Marc, Calvin, and Joshua.

> F2. A scene in this movie features Lester Burnham's teenage
> daughter's friend, played by Mena Suvari, reposing in a
> bathtub full of red rose petals.

"American Beauty" (1999, with Kevin Spacey as Lester). 4 for Marc,
Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, and Bruce.

> F3. This movie has two scenes set in bathrooms. One is famous
> for its disturbing use of a chainsaw; the other features
> the title character alone in a gigantic tub, smoking a
> cigar and mistaking flamingoes for pelicans.

"Scarface" (1983). 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Pete, Björn, and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo A&L Spo Sci Ent Mis Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 -- 43 52 52 44 60 -- 291
Joshua Kreitzer 46 48 31 14 36 42 32 52 256
Dan Blum 36 47 47 12 32 20 36 35 233
Marc Dashevsky 38 44 25 23 32 24 40 40 219
Dan Tilque 35 32 8 -- 40 4 36 32 183
Peter Smyth 27 41 21 36 28 28 16 20 181
Pete Gayde 20 48 28 26 22 25 20 24 173
"Calvin" 25 42 22 36 20 13 16 19 164
Björn Lundin 16 40 28 8 28 20 10 8 142
Erland Sommarskog 36 46 8 8 24 16 -- -- 138
Bruce Bowler -- 28 -- -- 35 -- 36 24 123
Jason Kreitzer 20 20 4 -- 4 -- 12 16 76
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- -- 44 -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader | "Do I look stupid?"
Toronto | "Yes, actually, a little. It's one of your
| -- Spider Robinson, "Lady Slings the Booze"

swp

no leída,
31 jul 2015, 18:40:3131/7/15
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 2:40:12 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> As I noted, Stephen Perry already had this game clinched before
> this round appeared. Well done!

thank you.

swp
0 mensajes nuevos