Calvin's Quiz #446

Calvin

Jun 28, 2016, 10:41:14 PM6/28/16

1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?
4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?
6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?
8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?
9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2016, 11:35:09 PM6/28/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?
> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?

knowledge

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

bromine

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?

15 minutes

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

kaleidoscope

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2016, 11:36:48 PM6/28/16
"Calvin":
> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?

Name a British band... Yardbirds.

> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting
> entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?

"The Entity"?

> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of
> Armaments and War Production?

Speer.

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?

Epistems. :-)

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day.

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for
> goods and services sold between entities within an
> organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to
> a parent company?

Internal tarification?

> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

Bromine. Maybe also gallium, depending on how you define room temp.

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American
> football match?

15 minutes playing time. 90 minutes with the commercials, or at least
it seems like it. :-)

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of
> Edith Piaf in which film?

Arrrgh, I should know this. "La Vie en Rose"?

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing
> loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of
> glass?

Kaleidoscope.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These Millennia are like buses."
m...@vex.net --Arwel Parry

Gareth Owen

Jun 29, 2016, 2:13:00 AM6/29/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?

Genesis

> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that
> preys on young children in the form of a clown?

It

> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and
> War Production?

Speer

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?

Letters?

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14
> juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and
> services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a
> subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?

Internal pricing???

> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room
> temperature?

Bromine

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football
> match?

On the clock? 15 minutes. In reality *WAY* longer than that.

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith
> Piaf in which film?

La Vie En Rose

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose,
> coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaleidoscope

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 29, 2016, 3:52:03 AM6/29/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?

Genesis

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

Bromine

And on a hot day when the air-conditioning is not working, also Gallium
if memory serves.

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football
> match?

Forever

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose,
> coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaledeioscope

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 29, 2016, 3:53:14 AM6/29/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
>
> Name a British band... Yardbirds.

Off by two decades!

bbowler

Jun 29, 2016, 9:26:44 AM6/29/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:41:14 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?

Genesis

> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that
> preys on young children in the form of a clown?

It

> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments
and
> War Production?
> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and
> services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a
> subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

Bromine

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football
> match?

The clock runs for a nominal 15 minutes, but in "wall clock time", I've
seen some last 45 minutes or more :-)

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith
Piaf
> in which film?
> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose,
> coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaleidescope

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Jun 29, 2016, 11:08:28 AM6/29/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity
> that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
> 3 Which
> architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War
> Production?

Speer

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14
> juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges
> for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation,
> for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?

Internal pricing

> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room
> temperature?
> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard
> American football match?

15 minutes

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008
> for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
> 10 Which children's
> toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such
> as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaleidoscope

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Björn Lundin

Jun 29, 2016, 11:09:35 AM6/29/16
On 2016-06-29 04:41, Calvin wrote:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
Genesis
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
It
> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?
Albert Speer
> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?
French National day
> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
Internal billing
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?
Bromine
> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?
20 min ?
> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jun 29, 2016, 2:11:59 PM6/29/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
Genesis
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity
> that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
>
> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments
> and War Production?
>
> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
Writing
> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?
Bastille Day
> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and
> services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a
> subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
>
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?
Bromine
> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football
> match?
15 minutes
> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith
> Piaf in which film?
>
> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose,
> coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?
Kaleidoscope

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 29, 2016, 3:29:42 PM6/29/16
bbowler (bbo...@bigelow.org) writes:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:41:14 -0700, Calvin wrote:
>> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
>
> Genesis
>
>> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that
>> preys on young children in the form of a clown?
>
> It

I have seen this answer more than once. I don't read Stephen King (or
novels in general for that matter), so I don't know whether this is
the correct answer. But if there is, there is an interesting connection
between the first and second questions. (Which Gareth undoubtedly knows,
but maybe not so many others.)

Gareth Owen

Jun 29, 2016, 4:11:46 PM6/29/16
I can assure you that he doesn't...

ArenEss

Jun 29, 2016, 5:49:11 PM6/29/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:41:14 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
Genesis

>2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
IT

>3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?
Albert Speer

>4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
Knowledge or wisdom

>5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?
Bastille Day

>6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
Internal costs

>7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?
Bromine (non-metal), and caesium, francium, and gallium (metals that
are liquid at or near room temperature, depending on your definition
of room temperature)

>8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?
15 minutes

>9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
La Vie en Rose

>10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?
Kaliedescope

>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 29, 2016, 7:08:04 PM6/29/16
On 2016-06-29, Calvin wrote:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?

"It"

> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?

Speer

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?

Knowledge

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La f??te nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

Bromine

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?
> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?

"La Vie en Rose"

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaleidoscope

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

swp

Jun 29, 2016, 8:08:05 PM6/29/16

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 30, 2016, 3:52:35 AM6/30/16
Yeah, this is It!

Gareth Owen

Jun 30, 2016, 4:37:18 PM6/30/16
Ah. Don't have any Genesis albums after Peter Gabriel left. Can't get
past how annoying I find Phil Collins.

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 30, 2016, 5:50:27 PM6/30/16
And yet you knew "Invisible Touch", but not "It"!

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 1, 2016, 12:15:40 AM7/1/16
In article <2dd0c251-7edf-4e20...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?
> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?
> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?
Albert Speer

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
knowledge?

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?
Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?
> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?
gallium

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?
15 minutes

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?
La Vie En Rose

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?
kaleidescope

> cheers,
> calvin

Gareth Owen

Jul 1, 2016, 12:25:05 AM7/1/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

>> Ah. Don't have any Genesis albums after Peter Gabriel left. Can't get
>> past how annoying I find Phil Collins.
>
> And yet you knew "Invisible Touch", but not "It"!

It was a big hit single.

Calvin

Jul 7, 2016, 8:51:37 PM7/7/16
It sure was!

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jul 7, 2016, 8:54:58 PM7/7/16
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 12:41:14 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 "Invisible Touch" was a 1986 hit for which British band?

Genesis

> 2 Which 1986 Stephen King novel features a shape shifting entity that preys on young children in the form of a clown?

IT

> 3 Which architect went on to become Hitler's Minister of Armaments and War Production?

Albert Speer

> 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?

Knowledge. I also accepted Epistems.

> 5 What is the better-known name of "La fête nationale du 14 juillet"?

Bastille Day

> 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for goods and services sold between entities within an organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to a parent company?

Internal pricing / Transfer pricing

> 7 Apart from mercury, which element is a liquid at room temperature?

Bromine was the expected answer but I'll accept gallium as well as it melts around 30 degrees C.

> 8 How long is each quarter of play in a standard American football match?

15 minutes, though as almost everyone pointed out it can seem a lot longer :-)

> 9 Marion Cotillard won as Oscar in 2008 for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in which film?

La Vie en Rose

> 10 Which children's toy is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, coloured objects such as beads, pebbles or pieces of glass?

Kaleidoscope

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 446
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 66 Aren Ess
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 52 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 55 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 55 Mark Brader
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 49 Bruce Bowler
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 5 37 Pete Gayde
0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 43 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 44 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 28 Bjorn Lundin
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 4 36 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 5 7 5 10 2 10 8 5 10 68 62%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 7, 2016, 10:08:13 PM7/7/16
"Calvin":
> > 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
>
> Knowledge. I also accepted Epistems.

What? I thought I was just making up a word!

> > 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for
> goods and services sold between entities within an
> organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to
> a parent company?
>
> Internal pricing / Transfer pricing

While my luck is in, I'd like to appeal "internal tarification".

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/tariffication
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/tariff

--
Mark Brader "Remember, this is Mark we're dealing with.
Toronto Rationality and fact won't work very well."

Calvin

Jul 8, 2016, 1:32:54 AM7/8/16
On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 12:08:13 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 4 Epistemophobia is the fear of what?
> >
> > Knowledge. I also accepted Epistems.
>
> What? I thought I was just making up a word!

So did I but I checked it just in case.

> > > 6 Which two-word term refers to the setting of charges for
> > goods and services sold between entities within an
> > organisation, for example a subsidiary company selling goods to
> > a parent company?
> >
> > Internal pricing / Transfer pricing
>
> While my luck is in, I'd like to appeal "internal tarification".
>
> http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/tariffication
> http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/tariff

Your answer means much the same thing, but the question asked for a term and "internal tarification" gets only 4 hits on google, and one of those is this thread. So protest denied sorry.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 8, 2016, 2:03:22 PM7/8/16
"Calvin":
> So protest denied sorry.

Thanks for considering it.
--
Mark Brader "Great things are not done by those
Toronto who sit down and count the cost