QFTCI5EP Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Broadway, March challenge

Mark Brader

Aug 9, 2017, 12:25:51 AM8/9/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway

Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
game, so you have to read it here.

1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
"Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
-- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
its title?

2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
about an American political figure -- this time a president
whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
of the musical or that president.

3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
"Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
(better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.

5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
of nudity. What was it called?

6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.

8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
"Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.

9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
British author has had many other Broadway and West End
successes. Who is he?

10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
"Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
"The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
"Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...

* A. Sports: March Madness

Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.

A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

* B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]

According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
B1. ...travelers?
B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

* C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")

C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?
C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
a mallet?

* D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)

Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.

D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?
D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

* E. Science: [March of the] Penguins

E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
colonies?

E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
the Antarctic winter?

* F. Entertainment: Fredric March

F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
novella?

F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
Second World War?

--
Mark Brader "Now, let's assume the correct answer will
Toronto eventually be written on this board at the

Peter Smyth

Aug 9, 2017, 6:51:05 AM8/9/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway
>
> Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
> or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
> game, so you have to read it here.
>
> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?
>
> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.
Andrew Jackson
> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.
The Crucible
> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.
>
> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?
Oh Calcutta
> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.
Groundhog Day
> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.
>
> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.
>
> 9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
> 2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
> British author has had many other Broadway and West End
> successes. Who is he?
Tom Stoppard
> 10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
> other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
> "Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
> "The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
> with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
> "Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?
Elton John

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...
>
> * A. Sports: March Madness
>
> Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
> dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
> questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.
>
> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.
>
> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.
Pittsburgh
> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]
>
> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?
St Christopher
> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?
St Jude
> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?
March Hare
> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?
A flamingo

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?
Turin, Milan
> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?
Cagliari

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?
Galapagos
> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?
Emperor
> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?
>
> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Aug 9, 2017, 9:46:13 AM8/9/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway

> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

Andrew Jackson

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

The Crucible

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

Nine

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

Groundhog Day

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.

Marat/Sade

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...

> * A. Sports: March Madness

> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

University of Kentucky; Duke

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

Villanova

> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]

> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?

St. Christopher

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St. Jude

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")

> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?

Knave of Hearts

> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?

flamingo

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)

> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins

> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

emperor penguin

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March

> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

Treasure Island

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 9, 2017, 11:45:12 AM8/9/17
In article <Da6dnbc18LtUExfE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway
>
> Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
> or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
> game, so you have to read it here.
>
> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?
>
> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.
Andrew Jackson

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.
The Crucible

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?
Oh! Calcutta!

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.
Groundhog Day

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.
Marat-Sade
Christopher

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?
>
> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?
Alice

> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?
>
> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?
Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?
Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?
Galapagos

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?
Emperor

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde

> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?
The Best Years of Our Lives (tremendous film)

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 9, 2017, 2:44:29 PM8/9/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

Andrew Jackson

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

Oh Calcutta!

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...
>
> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

That must have been the school that Stephen Perry went to!

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?

King of Hearts

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milano

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor Pinguin

Dan Tilque

Aug 9, 2017, 8:03:00 PM8/9/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway
>
> Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
> or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
> game, so you have to read it here.
>
> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?
>
> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

Andrew Jackson
UCLA

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

Villanova

> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]
>
> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?

St Christopher

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St Anthony

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?

Jack of Hearts

> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?

a swan (?? some kind of large bird, anyway)

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Syracuse

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor penguin

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

Kidnapped

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 9, 2017, 10:24:43 PM8/9/17
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 2:25:51 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway
>
> Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
> or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
> game, so you have to read it here.
>
> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?
>
> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

Washington, Lincoln

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

The Crucible

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

Hair, Rent

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

Groundhog Day

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.
>
> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.

Joplin

> 9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
> 2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
> British author has had many other Broadway and West End
> successes. Who is he?

Tom Stoppard

> 10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
> other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
> "Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
> "The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
> with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
> "Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?

Rice, Lloyd-Webber

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...
>
> * A. Sports: March Madness
>
> Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
> dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
> questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.
>
> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

Duke, Indiana

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.
>
> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]
>
> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?

St Christopher

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St Jude?

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?

Queen of Hearts

> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?

Flamingo

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos Islands

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

Kidnapped, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?

Dunno.

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Aug 10, 2017, 6:38:14 PM8/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Da6dnbc18LtUExfEnZ2dnUU7-
SvN...@giganews.com:
Andrew Jackson

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

The Crucible

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.
>
> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

Oh, Calcutta

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

Groundhog Day

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.
>
> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.

Scott Joplin

> 9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
> 2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
> British author has had many other Broadway and West End
> successes. Who is he?
>
> 10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
> other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
> "Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
> "The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
> with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
> "Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...
>
> * A. Sports: March Madness
>
> Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
> dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
> questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.
>
> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

UNLV

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

Villanova

> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]
>
> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?

St Christopher

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St Anthony of Padua

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?
> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?
>
> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

Treasure Island

> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?

Best Years of Our Lives

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 10, 2017, 9:42:20 PM8/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Da6dnbc18LtUExfEnZ2dnUU7-
SvN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway
>
> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?

"The Drowsy Chaperone"

> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

Andrew Jackson

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

"The Crucible"

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

"Oh! Calcutta!"

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

"Groundhog Day"
(I'm wondering why the question writer considered this an inappropriate
subject for a musical)

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.

"Marat/Sade"

> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.

"Jelly's Last Jam"

> 9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
> 2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
> British author has had many other Broadway and West End
> successes. Who is he?

Stoppard

> 10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
> other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
> "Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
> "The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
> with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
> "Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?

Elton John
(Is there an error in the question? It says that "The Producers" won 16
Tonys but had only 15 nominations.)

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...
>
> * A. Sports: March Madness
>
> Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
> dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
> questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.
>
> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

Houston

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

Villanova

> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]
>
> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...
> B1. ...travelers?

St. Joseph

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St. Joseph; St. Jude

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")
>
> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?

pelican

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)
>
> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.
>
> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galapagos Islands

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor penguin

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"

> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?

"The Best Years of Our Lives"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 11, 2017, 11:17:26 PM8/11/17
"The Crucible"
> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.
"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"
> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?
"Oh! Calcutta"
> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.
"Groundhog Day"
> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.
"The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat As Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum at Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade"
> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.
Scott Joplin?
Salo?
> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?
>
> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins
>
> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?
>
> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?
Emperor Penguins
> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March
>
> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?
"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?
"The Best Years of Our Lives"

Mark Brader

Aug 12, 2017, 2:34:25 AM8/12/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-20,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

And now Game 9 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER.
Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Arts - Broadway

> Many of these questions could be shortened by half their length
> or more, but we had to listen to the full wording in the original
> game, so you have to read it here.

> 1. This year one of the big hits on Broadway is the Canadian musical
> "Come from Away", about the sanctuary that Newfoundland offered
> for the many airplanes that needed to land in the wake of 9/11.
> In 2006 another Canadian production -- a parody of 1920s musicals
> -- was the toast of Broadway and won five Tony Awards. What is
> its title?

"The Drowsy Chaperone". 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Since its debut on Broadway in 2015, the musical "Hamilton!" has
> become one of the greatest theatrical spectacles the Great White
> Way has ever seen. A few years earlier, in 2010, another musical
> about an American political figure -- this time a president
> whose face, for the moment, can be seen on the US $20 bill --
> was a sensation off-Broadway but couldn't deliver its earlier
> excitement when it moved to Broadway. Name either the title
> of the musical or that president.

"Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson". "Jackson" was sufficient.
4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 3. Playwright Arthur Miller won five Tony Awards during his career:
> one for Lifetime Achievement, two for Best Author, and two
> for Best Play. One of his works that won a Best Play Tony was
> "Death of a Salesman". What was the other? Hint: It concerns
> evil doings in Salem, Massachusetts.

"The Crucible". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Calvin, Pete, Joshua,
and Jason.

> 4. Strangely enough, Tennessee Williams only won one Best Play
> Tony in his career -- for "The Rose Tattoo". He did win two
> Pulitzer Prizes for his plays, though. One was for "A Streetcar
> Named Desire". What is the title of the play that he won his
> other Pulitzer for? Hint: Its characters include Margaret
> (better known as Maggie), her husband Brick, and Big Daddy.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Calvin, Joshua,
and Jason.

> 5. Broadway has perhaps seen just about everything, but in 1971
> an avant-garde theatrical revue created by British critic Kenneth
> Tynan made its Great White Way debut. Consisting of sketches
> by Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, Sam Shepard, Jules Feiffer,
> and Edna O'Brien, among others, it also featured a great deal
> of nudity. What was it called?

"Oh! Calcutta!" 4 for Peter, Marc, Erland, Pete, Joshua, and Jason.

> 6. Possibly just about anything can be made into a musical no matter
> how inappropriate it might seem. Some examples are "Charlie and
> Algernon", "Carrie", and "Sweet Smell of Success". Coming up
> soon is a musical version of "Nineteen Eighty-Four", and already
> on Broadway is a musical adaptation of this immensely popular
> 1993 movie starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. What is
> the title of this last play and movie? It might actually be
> a stage hit, unlike the three first-mentioned adaptations.

"Groundhog Day". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Calvin, Pete, Joshua,
and Jason.

> 7. This controversial play has two notorious principal characters,
> both drawn from history. One of the characters might be
> appreciated by fans of "Fifty Shades of Grey"; the other
> was one of the most radical figures of the French Revolution.
> Written by German playwright Peter Weiss, it was first staged on
> Broadway in 1965 and has the distinction of bearing the longest
> title ever of any production on the Great White Way -- an amazing
> 26 words! Give the full title if you like, but it's better
> known by a much-shortened 2-word title, and that will suffice.

"The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed
by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton under the Direction of the
Marquis de Sade" -- or "Marat/Sade". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua,
and Jason (who did give the full title).

> 8. Director and playwright George C. Wolfe has had many successes
> on Broadway. In 1992, though, he had arguably his greatest
> Broadway triumph as a writer and director with a musical that
> featured the tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines and showcased
> the talents of the early 20th-century ragtime and jazz pioneer
> pianist who composed "King Porter Stomp", "Wolverine Blues", and
> "Black Bottom Stomp." Name either the musical or its subject.

"Jelly's Last Jam", Jelly Roll Morton. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. The play trilogy "The Coast of Utopia" won seven Tonys in
> 2007, the most any non-musical play has ever won. Its Czech-born
> British author has had many other Broadway and West End
> successes. Who is he?

Tom Stoppard. 4 for Peter, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 10. The musical "The Producers" has won more Tonys than any
> other Broadway production in history, topping out at 16. Until
> "Hamilton!" came along and was nominated for 16 Tonys in 2016,
> "The Producers" was also tied for most nominations -- 15 --
> with "Billy Elliot". Lee Hall wrote the book and lyrics for
> "Billy Elliot". Who wrote its music?

Elton John. 4 for Peter and Joshua.

As Joshua Kreitzer noticed, the unnecessary information included in
this question is self-contradictory. "The Producers" does hold the
record for the most Tonys, but the correct number is 12, not 16.
Incidentally, the 15 nominations were in only 12 categories --
5 different cast members were nominated -- so unless there was a tie,
12 Tonys was the most it *could* have won.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - March, in Like a Lion ...

> * A. Sports: March Madness

> Created in 1939, the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball tournament is
> dubbed "March Madness", even though it now ends in April. Here are
> questions about two of the most memorable finals in its history.

> A1. In 1983 the North Carolina State Wolfpack pulled off one of
> the greatest upsets ever, winning 54-52 on a buzzer-beating
> dunk by Lorenzo Charles. The team it beat was dubbed Phi
> Slamma Jamma and featured NBA Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler
> and Akeem Olajuwon. Name the losing college.

University of Houston. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. This Pennsylvania-based college won the 1985 title in
> another huge upset, beating Georgetown and future NBA
> star Patrick Ewing. The winning team was coached by he
> charismatic Rollie Massimino. Name the winning school.

Villanova. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> * B. History: [When the] Saints [Go Marching In]

> According to Catholics, who is the patron saint of...

> B1. ...travelers?

St. Christopher. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Pete.

> B2. ...lost articles and missing persons?

St. Anthony. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> * C. Literature: March Hare ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")

> C1. Who stands trial for the theft of the tarts?

Knave of Hearts. I scored "Jack of Hearts" as almost correct,
since that phrase is the modern name of the same card but is not
the one used in the book. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> C2. When Alice plays croquet, what is she given to use as
> a mallet?

Flamingo. (And the ball is a hedgehog.) 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
and Calvin.

> * D. Geography: Marche (Italian Regions)

> Ancona is the capital of the Italian region of Marche ["MARK-eh"].
> Here are two questions about the capitals of other regions of Italy.

> D1. What northern Italian city is the capital of Lombardy?

Milan. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Pete,
and Joshua. 2 for Peter.

> D2. What city is the capital of Sicily?

Palermo. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Calvin, Pete, and Joshua.

> * E. Science: [March of the] Penguins

> E1. Which archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, 1,000 km off the
> coast of Ecuador, is home to the northernmost penguin
> colonies?

Galápagos Islands. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Pete, and Joshua.

> E2. Which tallest and heaviest species of penguin is endemic
> to Antarctica and is the only penguin species to breed in
> the Antarctic winter?

Emperor penguin. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, Pete, Joshua, and Jason.

> * F. Entertainment: Fredric March

> F1. Fredric March won his first Academy Award when he starred
> in the 1931 film adaptation of which Robert Louis Stevenson
> novella?

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". 4 for Marc, Joshua,
and Jason. 2 for Calvin.

> F2. March's second Academy Award came in 1946 when he
> co-starred with Myrna Loy in which film about three US
> servicemen readjusting to life after returning from the
> Second World War?

"The Best Years of Our Lives". 4 for Marc, Pete, Joshua, and Jason.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Sci Ent Geo Spo Can Art Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 36 2 33 20 8 4 40 32 169
Marc Dashevsky 36 28 12 16 12 0 24 28 144
Dan Blum 33 9 0 21 8 0 20 32 123
Pete Gayde 24 21 12 12 16 0 16 32 121
"Calvin" 27 13 0 17 12 0 16 26 111
Dan Tilque 36 0 4 12 12 0 4 27 95
Peter Smyth 16 0 15 12 8 0 24 18 93
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 12 16 12 0 8 16 64
Jason Kreitzer 16 0 -- -- 8 0 20 12 56
Bruce Bowler 32 19 -- -- -- -- -- -- 51

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's easier to deal with 'opposite numbers'
m...@vex.net | when you know you cannot trust them." --Chess