QFTCIMM16 Final, Round 6: Geography

Mark Brader

Apr 9, 2017, 11:50:46 PM4/9/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 6 - Geography

Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg

* Time Zone Abbreviations

If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
following times apply?

1. CVT, UTC-1.
2. IST, UTC+5:30.
3. PET, UTC-5.

* Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.

4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
"arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like
the borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England).
Both are former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal
in 1910. The Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough.
One neighborhood is Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you
will find Concordia University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke
Street West.

5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France.
There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing
about 20% of the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools,
and businesses can be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
and St-Viateur.

6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal,
Chinatown, the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.

* Cities by Satellite Image

Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/8.jpg
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/9.jpg

* Exonyms

An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
following places?

10. The city of Guangzhou.
11. The river Tevere.
12. The city of al-Qahirah.

* Istanbul

13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
sides of Istanbul.

14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
palace of the sultans.

15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
in 2013.

--
Mark Brader "This is... a film... almost without explosions."
Toronto, m...@vex.net --Mark Leeper

Peter Smyth

Apr 10, 2017, 5:55:24 AM4/10/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg
>

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.
Cape Verde
> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.
India
> 3. PET, UTC-5.
Paraguay

> * Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.
>
> 4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
> "arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like
> the borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England).
> Both are former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal
> in 1910. The Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough.
> One neighborhood is Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you
> will find Concordia University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke
> Street West.
>
> 5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
> include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France.
> There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing
> about 20% of the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools,
> and businesses can be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
> and St-Viateur.
>
> 6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
> including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal,
> Chinatown, the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.
>

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg
Rome
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/8.jpg
London
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/9.jpg
Paris

> * Exonyms
>
> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?
>
> 10. The city of Guangzhou.
Shanghai
> 11. The river Tevere.
> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.
Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.
Bosphorus
> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.
>
> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
> in 2013.

Peter Smyth

Bruce

Apr 10, 2017, 9:00:33 AM4/10/17
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:50:40 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg
>

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Cape Verde?

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

India

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Peru

> * Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.
>
> 4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
> "arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like the
> borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England). Both are
> former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal in 1910. The
> Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough. One neighborhood is
> Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you will find Concordia
> University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke Street West.
>
> 5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
> include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France. There is
> also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing about 20% of
> the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools, and businesses can
> be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
> and St-Viateur.
>
> 6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
> including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal, Chinatown,
> the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.
>

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Washington DC
> * Exonyms
>
> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?
>
> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Shanghai?

> 11. The river Tevere.
> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Bosphorus

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 10, 2017, 11:02:24 AM4/10/17
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 11:50:46 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Cape Verde

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

India

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Paraguay

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Paris
London

> * Exonyms
>
> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?
>
> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Canton

> 11. The river Tevere.

Tiber

> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Bosporus

> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.

Topkapi Palace

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 10, 2017, 12:01:27 PM4/10/17
In article <3OCdnWiuPaaNnHbF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg
>

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.
> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.
India
Tiber

> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.
Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.
Bosporous

> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.
>
> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
> in 2013.

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 10, 2017, 5:20:43 PM4/10/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Cabo Verde

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

India

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Perú

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Washington
Paris

> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Canton

> 11. The river Tevere.

Tiber? (It's Tibern in Swedish, but that was not the question.)

> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Bosphorus

> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.

Topkapi (without dot on the i.)

> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
> in 2013.

Gazim

Pete Gayde

Apr 11, 2017, 12:19:48 AM4/11/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3OCdnWiuPaaNnHbFnZ2dnUU7-
dvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg
>

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Cape Verde

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

India

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Prince Edward Island

> * Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.
>
> 4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
> "arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like
> the borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England).
> Both are former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal
> in 1910. The Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough.
> One neighborhood is Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you
> will find Concordia University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke
> Street West.
>
> 5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
> include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France.
> There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing
> about 20% of the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools,
> and businesses can be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
> and St-Viateur.
>
> 6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
> including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal,
> Chinatown, the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.
>

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Rome
> * Exonyms
>
> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?
>
> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Canton

> 11. The river Tevere.

Tiber

> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Bosphorus

> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.

Topkapi

> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
> in 2013.

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Tilque

Apr 11, 2017, 12:24:09 AM4/11/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography
>
> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg
>

> * Time Zone Abbreviations
>
> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?
>
> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Iceland

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

Iran

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Ecuador

> * Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.
>
> 4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
> "arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like
> the borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England).
> Both are former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal
> in 1910. The Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough.
> One neighborhood is Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you
> will find Concordia University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke
> Street West.
>
> 5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
> include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France.
> There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing
> about 20% of the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools,
> and businesses can be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
> and St-Viateur.
>
> 6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
> including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal,
> Chinatown, the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.
>

> * Cities by Satellite Image
>
> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Amsterdam
> * Exonyms
>
> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?
>
> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Guangzhou (that's what it's called these days. Calling it Canton is
soooo last-millennium.)

> 11. The river Tevere.
> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo

> * Istanbul
>
> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Dardanelles

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 12, 2017, 11:46:57 PM4/12/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 6 - Geography

> Geography: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/geog.jpg

This was the second of three rounds tied as the hardest in the
original game. (The first was Round 3, Arts & Literature.)

> * Time Zone Abbreviations

> If TRT, or UTC+3, is the time in Turkey, in what countries do the
> following times apply?

> 1. CVT, UTC-1.

Cape (or Cabo) Verde. 4 for Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 2. IST, UTC+5:30.

India. 4 for Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Marc, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. PET, UTC-5.

Peru. 4 for Bruce and Erland.

I suspect that some, and maybe all four, of these abbreviations were
made up by people who wanted there to be time zone abbreviations
that were usable in English and specific to those countries, such
as the maintainers of the TZ database. But even if that's true,
the questions are still answerable, so I've left them alone.

> * Montreal Boroughs and Neighborhoods.

> 4. Two neighborhoods of Montreal form a single borough or
> "arrondissement" which takes its name from both of them (like
> the borough of "Hammersmith and Fulham" in London, England).
> Both are former towns that were annexed by the city of Montreal
> in 1910. The Décarie cuts through the middle of the borough.
> One neighborhood is Côte-des-Neiges; name the other, where you
> will find Concordia University's Loyola campus on Sherbrooke
> Street West.

Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. "NDG" was sufficient.

> 5. The area was originally known as Côte Ste-Catherine. Residents
> include a substantial percentage of expatriates from France.
> There is also a sizable Hasidic Jewish community, representing
> about 20% of the population. Many Jewish synagogues, schools,
> and businesses can be found on avenues Van Horne, Bernard,
> and St-Viateur.

Outremont.

> 6. This is the borough with the most distinct neighborhoods --
> including downtown, the historic district of Old Montreal,
> Chinatown, the Gay Village and the Latin Quarter. Name it.

Ville-Marie.

> * Cities by Satellite Image

> Name the metropolis shown in each satellite photo.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/7.jpg

Rome. 4 for Peter and Pete.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/8.jpg

London. 4 for Dan, Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/city/9.jpg

Paris. 4 for Dan, Peter, Bruce, Erland, and Pete.

> * Exonyms

> An exonym is a place name that does not follow local usage.
> For example, Italians say "Firenze", but in English the city's
> traditional name is "Florence". What are the English names for
> following places?

> 10. The city of Guangzhou.

Canton was the expected answer, but one entrant, who answered
Guangzhou, stated that is the name now usually used in English.
I find that it is, so I'm accepting that answer also. 4 for Dan,
Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

To test the entrant's claim, I typed "china map" into Google Images
and looked at the first 50 or so results. About 18 did not show
the city's name at all, or not legibly; for example, some maps
did not show any cities. Of the rest, I counted 23 that showed
just "Guangzhou" and 3 that just showed "Canton", and all of the
latter appeared to be about 50 years old. There were 6 that showed
both names, and a majority of these were in the style "Guangzhou
(Canton)". Now that's not exactly a broad-based survey of usage,
especially when you consider that in quite a few cases the same
maps showed up more than once in the search result. But I think
it's sufficient to conclude that the claim is correct.

> 11. The river Tevere.

Tiber. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Erland, and Pete.

> 12. The city of al-Qahirah.

Cairo. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Marc, Erland,
and Pete.

> * Istanbul

> 13. Name the strait that separates the European and the Asian
> sides of Istanbul.

Bosphorus or Bosporus. 4 for Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Marc, Erland,
and Pete.

The Dardanelles is the strait on the other side of the Sea of Marmara.

> 14. Looking across to the Golden Horn is the royal residence that
> served the Ottoman sultans for over four centuries. Name the
> palace of the sultans.

Topkapi. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
> in 2013.

Taksim Square. "Gazim" was not close enough.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit Sci Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 39 34 20 32 125
Bruce Bowler -- 32 60 28 120
Dan Tilque 28 16 48 16 108
Peter Smyth 32 -- 36 28 96
Don Piven 28 -- 56 -- 84
Erland Sommarskog 20 8 11 40 79
Pete Gayde 6 28 -- 40 74
"Calvin" 42 27 -- -- 69
Dan Blum 39 23 -- -- 62
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 -- 16 56
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 -- 28

--
Mark Brader | "If I quoted each [part] that had serious problems,
Toronto | [the author] could sue me for copyright infringement."

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 13, 2017, 4:09:40 AM4/13/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 15. Name Istanbul's most famous square, which stands at the head of
>> Istiklal Avenue in the European part of the city. It was the
>> site of violent repression of anti-development demonstrations
>> in 2013.
>
> Taksim Square. "Gazim" was not close enough.

It was sort of a mix. I remembered that the name of the park started with
G(*) so I worked from there. Something with Gazi did not seem unlikely as
I believe that "gazi" means "hero" in Turkish.

(*) When I look at Google Maps, I see that the park is called Taksim Gezi
Parki.

I am little skeptic that this would be the most famous square, given that it
is in Besiktas north of the Golden Horn. There are certainly more
interesting squares in the old town. But the reference to the park made
it clear what place they referring to, so that's not really an objection.

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 14, 2017, 5:57:33 PM4/14/17
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 11:50:46 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Hormuz?

Mark Brader

Apr 14, 2017, 6:47:13 PM4/14/17
If his answers had been posted on time, Jason Kreitzer would have
scored 0 on this round. (First time I've posted *that* about anyone!)
--
Mark Brader | "In a case like this, where the idiom is old and its wiring
Toronto | probably a mess, we tamper with nothing. There is always