QFTCIUA19 Game 10, Rounds 4,6: American acts and Canadian arcana

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2019, 12:34:20 AM9/23/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress

From the clue provided -- well, you know.

1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
2001, what is this act better known as?

2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
a court order?

4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
act known?

5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
famous name?

6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
duties. Name the act.

7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
What was it called?

8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
larger agreement?

9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
known as?

10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
is better known as what?

* Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana

What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
questions about things pointedly Canadian.

1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
Name that drink.

2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans,
though, call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?

3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
What is it?

4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?

5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
Americans call a "napkin"?

6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
coffee, eh?

7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?

9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
"popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
'SCTV'". What is the word?

--
Mark Brader "When a supposedly indivisible transaction
Toronto fails to complete properly, this is known

Dan Blum

Sep 23, 2019, 9:43:23 AM9/23/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress

> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

Patriot Act

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Act

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
> a court order?

wiretap

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Mann Act

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.

Posse Comitatus

> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?

Posse Comitatus

> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?

Missouri Compromise

> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Volstead

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

RICO

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?

sugar pie; maple pie

> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?

two milks and two sugars

> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

pop

> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?

mickey

> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

beaver tail

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

hoser

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Sep 23, 2019, 3:52:25 PM9/23/19
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 23:34:13 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress
>
> From the clue provided -- well, you know.
>
> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in 2001,
> what is this act better known as?

The PATRIOT act

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistle blower protection act

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without a court
> order?

Wiretaps

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this act
> known?
>
> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindberg act

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or duties.
> Name the act.

Posse comitatus

> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?
>
> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what larger
> agreement?
>
> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it known as?

The 18th amendment to the US Constition

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

the RICO act

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds have
> wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have been doing
> something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10 questions about
> things pointedly Canadian.
>
> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.
>
> 2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
> California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans, though,
> call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?

2 players vs 1 player

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans. What
> is it?
>
> 4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
> consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
> flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?
>
> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. What
> is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what Americans call
> a "napkin"?

Serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?
>
> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?
>
> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?
>
> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their resemblance to
> a body part of a large rodent. What?

beaver tail (yum!)

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show 'SCTV'".
> What is the word?

hoser

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 23, 2019, 4:37:02 PM9/23/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress
>
> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

Home Security Act

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Act

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

The Lindbergh Act

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

Serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?

Probably nothing they would call coffee in Italy!

Calvin

Sep 23, 2019, 6:10:57 PM9/23/19
On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 2:34:20 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress
>
> From the clue provided -- well, you know.
>
> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

Patriot Act

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Protection Act?

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
> a court order?

Body search, move people on

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Johnson Act?

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh Act

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.
>
> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?
>
> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?
>
> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Volstead Act

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

RICO

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
> have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
> been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
> questions about things pointedly Canadian.
>
> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.
>
> 2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
> California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans,
> though, call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?

2 against 1

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?
>
> 4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
> consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
> flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?
>
> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

Serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?
>
> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

Pop

> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?
>
> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?
>
> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 24, 2019, 12:06:20 AM9/24/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:veidnf52XePY1hXAnZ2dnUU7-
K_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress
>
> From the clue provided -- well, you know.
>
> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

USA Patriot Act

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Act

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Mann Act

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh Act

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.

Posse Comitatus Act

> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?

Missouri Compromise

> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Volstead Act

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

RICO

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
> have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
> been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
> questions about things pointedly Canadian.
>
> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.

Bloody Caesar

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?

butter tart

> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?

coffee with two creams and two sugars

> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

pop

> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?

mickey

> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

beaver tail

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

hoser

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 24, 2019, 3:00:54 AM9/24/19
On 9/22/19 9:34 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress
>
> From the clue provided -- well, you know.
>
> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

Patriot Act

(by the bacronym, it should be the USA Patriot Act but the USA part
always gets lost in ordinary conversation)

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Act

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
> a court order?

install a wiretap on someone's phone

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Mann Act

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh Act

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.

Posse Comitatus

> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?
>
> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?

Missouri Compromise

> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Volstead Act

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

RICO

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
> have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
> been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
> questions about things pointedly Canadian.
>
> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.
>
> 2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
> California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans,
> though, call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?
>
> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?
>
> 4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
> consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
> flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?

Kit Kat

> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?
>
> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?
>
> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

pop

> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?
>
> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

beaver tails

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

hoser

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Sep 24, 2019, 11:13:48 PM9/24/19

'

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Law

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
> a court order?

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Mann Act
'

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh Act
'

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.
>
> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?
>
> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?

Dred Scot law

> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Temperance Act
'

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

RICO

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana
>
> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
> have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
> been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
> questions about things pointedly Canadian.
>
> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.
>
> 2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
> California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans,
> though, call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?

Two players vs. one

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?
>
> 4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
> consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
> flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?

Coffee Crunch

> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

Serviette

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?
>
> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?
>
> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?

Mickey Mouse; Mickey

> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

Elephant ear

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

Hoser

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2019, 5:52:23 AM9/26/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Acts of the US Congress

> From the clue provided -- well, you know.

> 1. "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate
> Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism". Passed in
> 2001, what is this act better known as?

USA PATRIOT Act -- possibly the most contrived acronym of all time
to enter general usage -- or Patriot Act for short. 4 for Dan Blum,
Bruce, Calvin, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. This federal law passed in 1989 provides protection to federal
> employees who provide evidence of violation of the law. Name it.

Whistleblower Protection Act. 4 for Bruce and Calvin. 3 for
Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. As part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of
> 1968, it became illegal for authorities to *do what* without
> a court order?

Intercept and/or disclose telephone communications, i.e. to wiretap.
4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes, thus addressing prostitution,
> immorality, and human trafficking. By what other name is this
> act known?

Mann Act. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. After 1932, the Federal Kidnapping Act was known by which more
> famous name?

Lindbergh Law. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Calvin,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. Enacted in 1878, federal uniformed services such as the army were
> prohibited from exercising state law-enforcement powers or
> duties. Name the act.

Posse Comitatus Act. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. 1807 brought this act which limits the President's power and
> ability to deploy troops in the US to put down lawlessness.
> What was it called?

Insurrection Act.

> 8. The Fugitive Slave Act, which called for all runaway slaves
> to be returned to their masters in the South, was part of what
> larger agreement?

Compromise of 1850.

See: http://www.history.com/topics/abolitionist-movement/compromise-of-1850

> 9. This act of 1919, later repealed in 1933, provided for the
> prohibition of alcohol in the United States. What was it
> known as?

Volstead Act. (Not the 18th Amendment; the round is about acts
of Congress. The amendment authorized Congress to pass this act.)
4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act of 1970
> is better known as what?

Another acronym: RICO. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Arcana

> What does it mean to be Canadian? Our country's greatest minds
> have wrestled with this question for ages, when they should have
> been doing something useful with their time. Anyway, here are 10
> questions about things pointedly Canadian.

This was the third-easiest round in the original game -- and
the third-easiest of the entire season!

> 1. This drink was invented in 1969 by Walter Chell of the Calgary
> Inn, who was inspired by the italian dish spaghetti alle vongole.
> Name that drink.

Bloody Caesar. 4 for Joshua.

See: http://willowbirdbaking.com/photos/bloodymary/bc-3.jpg

> 2. Canadian tennis players call this variation of the game
> California doubles or cutthroat doubles. Many Americans,
> though, call it Canadian doubles. How is it played?

Two players against one. 4 for Bruce, Calvin, and Pete.

See: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/57FyeC9JPK4/maxresdefault.jpg

> 3. It's considered the consummate Canadian dessert item, although
> some Americans claim it's simply a pecan pie without the pecans.
> What is it?

Butter tart. 4 for Joshua.

See: http://www.joyofbaking.com/images/facebook/buttertarts.jpg

> 4. Also made in Canada, but a trademarked product, this candy bar
> consists of alternating layers of vanilla wafer and a coffee-
> flavored soft candy, covered with milk chocolate. What is it?

Coffee Crisp.

See: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2216/8483/products/coffee-crisp_580x.png

> 5. Though it sounds French, we actually share this term for a paper
> product with the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
> What is supposedly the proper Canadian way to refer to what
> Americans call a "napkin"?

Serviette. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. What is it supposed to mean when you order a double-double
> coffee, eh?

Coffee with two creams (accepting milks) and two sugars. 4 for
Dan Blum and Joshua.

See: http://wiki.ubc.ca/images/9/94/Double_Double.JPG

> 7. Americans at a concession counter will often ask for soda. What
> palindrome do Canadians typically ask for in the same situation?

Pop. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Of course "pop" is also the usual term in a large part of the US.
See e.g.:
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

> 8. No, Walt, it's not a trademark infringement. What is the proper
> Canadian term for a 375 ml bottle of hard liquor?

Mickey. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 9. President Obama consumed one of these fried-dough treats during
> his visit to Ottawa in 2009. They are named for their
> resemblance to a body part of a large rodent. What?

Beaver tail. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

See: http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/vSHIZwndBPo30jfCxZJffw/o.jpg

Elephants are, y'know, not rodents?

> 10. The American English Oxford dictionary defines this as
> a "foolish or uncultivated person", and cites it as a term
> "popularized by characters on the Canadian television show
> 'SCTV'". What is the word?

Hoser. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Geo His Can
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 27 32 131
Dan Blum 40 32 31 24 127
Dan Tilque 12 36 31 12 91
Bruce Bowler 4 32 24 16 76
Pete Gayde -- -- 19 14 33
"Calvin" -- -- 20 12 32
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 7 4 23

--
Mark Brader | "But how do you figure out whether the programmer
Toronto | knew what he was doing when you find his code