QFTCI11 Game 3 Rounds 4,6: name a year, Bible

Mark Brader

Jul 24, 2011, 1:58:52 AM7/24/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...

Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
When. On each question you must name any year when something
happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
2010 would be a correct answer.

For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
which ones those are.

1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
same year.

2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
original main line under construction.

6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
Toronto subway.

7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

8. When the US had no vice-president.

9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations

We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
Book of Habakkuk.

1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
unclean until the even."

2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
the night in which it was said, There is a man child
conceived."

3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
sealed with seven seals."

4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
for thy love is better than wine."

7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
became a man, I put away childish things."

8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
there was no profit under the sun."

--
Mark Brader "The world little knows or cares the storm through
Toronto which you have had to pass. It asks only if you

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 24, 2011, 3:41:57 AM7/24/11
On Jul 24, 12:58 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
>    same year.

1936

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1992; 1994

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936; 1937

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1899; 1900

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
>    original main line under construction.

1880; 1890

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
>    Toronto subway.

1920; 1930

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1867; 1877

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1963

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
>    by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2000

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986; 1987

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from.  None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.

Darn, I was going to say Habakkuk.

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
>    from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
>    unclean until the even."

Leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
>    the night in which it was said, There is a man child
>    conceived."

Jeremiah; Lamentations

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
>    sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
>    sealed with seven seals."

Revelation

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
>    us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
>    begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

John

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
>    with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
>    when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Ezekiel
(thanks, Jules Winnfield, even if you misquoted it)

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
>    for thy love is better than wine."

Song of Songs

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
>    understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
>    became a man, I put away childish things."

1 Corinthians

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
>    of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
>    and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Acts

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
>    counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
>    nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Proverbs

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
>    had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
>    and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
>    there was no profit under the sun."

Ecclesiastes

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 24, 2011, 5:41:17 AM7/24/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1936

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

193... Wait, that won't work! OK, 1901.

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

Hm, that can't have been 1936 or 1836 for that matter. 1882?

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1936

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1882

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1973

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

1999

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

The Second book of Moses whatever it may be known as in English. Laws?

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Job

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelations

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Apostles

Peter Smyth

Jul 24, 2011, 5:55:57 AM7/24/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>* Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
>Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
>When. On each question you must name any year when something
>happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
>that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
>For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
>2010 would be a correct answer.
>
>For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
>a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
>which ones those are.
>
>1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936

>2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1936

>3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

>4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1901

>5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1936

>6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1936

>7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1936

>8. When the US had no vice-president.

1963

>9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2000

>10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

>* Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
>We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
>and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
>You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
>the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
>Book of Habakkuk.
>
>1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus

>2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Isaiah

>3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelation

>4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

John

>5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Deuteronomy

>6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Song of Solomon

>7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

Romans

>8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Acts

>9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Psalms

>10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

Job

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 24, 2011, 10:04:07 AM7/24/11
In article <O5WdnfHaMOgBKbbT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
> When. On each question you must name any year when something
> happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
> that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
> For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
> 2010 would be a correct answer.
>
> For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
> a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
> which ones those are.
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.
>
> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.
>
> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.
1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1910

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.
>
> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.
>
> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.
>
> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1974

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2000

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.
>
> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."
>
> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."
>
> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
>
> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Ezekiel (not Quentin Tarantino)

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Song of Songs

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."
>
> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."
>
> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Psalms

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

swp

Jul 24, 2011, 4:05:55 PM7/24/11
On Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:58:52 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1896; 1926

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1900

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1888; 1881

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1955

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1870; 1873

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1832

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2000

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

2003 ; 1986 :-(

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.
>
> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

ezekiel; leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

job

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

revelations

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

gospel according to john?

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

ezekiel; leviticus

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

song of solomon

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

1 corinthians; 2 corinthians

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

acts

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

psalms (guess based solely on the first word)

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

isaiah; jeremiah

swp

Calvin

Jul 24, 2011, 8:20:50 PM7/24/11
On Jul 24, 3:58 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...

> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
>    same year.

1936

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.
>
> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1939

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1900

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
>    original main line under construction.
>
> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
>    Toronto subway.
>
> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.
>
> 8. When the US had no vice-president.
>
> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
>    by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2003

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
>    from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
>    unclean until the even."

Genesis, Exodus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
>    the night in which it was said, There is a man child
>    conceived."

Genesis, Exodus

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
>    sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
>    sealed with seven seals."

Matthew, Mark

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
>    us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
>    begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Matthew, Mark

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
>    with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
>    when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Genesis, Exodus

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
>    for thy love is better than wine."

Genesis, Exodus

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
>    understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
>    became a man, I put away childish things."

Matthew, Mark

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
>    of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
>    and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Matthew, Mark

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
>    counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
>    nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Genesis, Exodus

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
>    had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
>    and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
>    there was no profit under the sun."

Genesis, Exodus

cheers,
calvin

Jeffrey Turner

Jul 24, 2011, 8:59:27 PM7/24/11
On 7/24/2011 1:58 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.

Name a Year

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
> When. On each question you must name any year when something
> happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
> that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
> For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
> 2010 would be a correct answer.
>
> For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
> a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
> which ones those are.
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.
>
> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1935

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.
>
> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.
>
> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.
>
> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.
>
> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1946

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

1876

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.
>
> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."
>
> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelations

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
>
> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."
>
> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Psalms

Pete

Jul 24, 2011, 10:29:06 PM7/24/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
> When. On each question you must name any year when something
> happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
> that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
> For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
> 2010 would be a correct answer.
>
> For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
> a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
> which ones those are.
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936; 1933

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1972; 1975

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1899

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1875; 1878

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1935; 1938

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1900; 1903

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1963

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2000

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1985; 1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.
>
> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus; Deuteronomy

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Job

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelation

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Gospel of John

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Exodus

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Psalms

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

Ephesians; Corinthians

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Gospel of Matthew; Gospel of John

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Psalms

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

Job

Pete

Dan Blum

Jul 24, 2011, 11:13:24 PM7/24/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...

> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1688

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1970; 1960

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1898

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1872

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1952; 1972

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1870; 1880

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1865

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

1888

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Genesis

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelations of St. John the Divine

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

John; Luke

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Ezekiel

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Song of Solomon

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

Ephesians; Corinthians

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Mark; Matthew

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Micah; Nehemiah

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

Ecclesiastes

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

björn lundin

Jul 25, 2011, 8:08:11 AM7/25/11
On 24 Juli, 07:58, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
> When.  On each question you must name any year when something
> happened or when something was true.  In some cases it's possible
> that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
> For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
> 2010 would be a correct answer.
>
> For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
> a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
> which ones those are.
>

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1900

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1873

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1963

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
>    by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2003

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>
> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.

Hmm, this was _really_ not my area...

> You tell us which book it's from.  None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.
>
> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
>    from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
>    unclean until the even."

Third book of Moses

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
>    sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
>    sealed with seven seals."

Reveletians
--
Björn Lundin

Rob Parker

Jul 27, 2011, 12:55:13 AM7/27/11
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...
>
> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1551; 1553

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1945; 1967

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1900

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1895; 1905

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1934; 1942

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1850; 1880

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1963

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

2005

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1985; 1986

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Job; Daniel

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelations

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Matthew; Mark

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Lamentations

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

David

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

Corinthians I

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Romans; Ephesians

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Ezekiel; Joshua

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

Joshua; Ezekiel

Rob

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2011, 1:31:23 AM7/27/11
Mark Brader:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,

> see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the history round, of course.

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...

> Last week we had Name an Element That; this round is Name a Year
> When. On each question you must name any year when something
> happened or when something was true. In some cases it's possible
> that the thing was true for *only part of the year*; that's fine.
> For example, if we asked for a year when Rob Ford was mayor,
> 2010 would be a correct answer.

> For any questions with less than 3 possible answers, we'll allow
> a range of plus or minus 1 year, but we won't tell you in advance
> which ones those are.

> 1. Name any year... when the UK had three monarchs in the
> same year.

1936 (accepting 1935-37). (George V, Edward VIII, George VI.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, Stephen, Calvin, and Jeff. 3 for Pete.

Some earlier years might be possible if we had said
"England", but the question specified the UK.

> 2. When Canada had three Prime Ministers in the same year.

1896 (Bowell, Tupper, Laurier); 1984 (Trudeau, Turner, Mulroney);
1993 (Mulroney, Campbell, Chr�tien). 3 for Stephen.

> 3. When the Spanish Civil War was in progress.

1936-39. 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Erland, Peter, Marc, Stephen,
Calvin, Pete, Dan, Bj�rn, and Rob.

> 4. When the British were at war with the Boers.

1880-81, 1899-1902. 4 for Joshua (the hard way again), Erland,
Peter, Stephen, Calvin, Pete, Bj�rn, and Rob.

> 5. When the present Canadian Pacific Railway company had its
> original main line under construction.

1881-86. 4 for Erland. 2 for Stephen.

> 6. When Eglinton and Union were the two endpoints of the
> Toronto subway.

1954-63. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. When Canada had exactly 6 provinces.

1871-73. 4 for Bj�rn. 2 for Stephen.

> 8. When the US had no vice-president.

1776-89, 1812-17, 1832-33, 1841-45, 1850-57, 1865-69, 1875-77,
1881-89, 1899-1905, 1912-13, 1923-25, 1945-49, 1963-65, 1973-74.
4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, Marc, Stephen, Jeff, Pete, Dan, Bj�rn,
and Rob.

(First the era before the Constitution was in use; and then
any time *either* the VP or the president died or resigned.
Before 1967 when the 25th amendment was passed, the period
continued from that moment until the inauguration following the
next election; now it ends when a replacement VP is confirmed.)

> 9. When a US election for president is known to have been won
> by a candidate who did not finish first in the popular vote.

1824, 1876, 1888, 2000. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Marc, Stephen, Jeff,
Pete, and Dan.

(For elections before 1824, the popular votes were not tabulated,
so it's not known whether this ever happened then.)

> 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.

1986, 2003 (accepting 1985-87 or 2002-04). 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Erland, Peter, Marc, Stephen (the hard way), Calvin, Jeff, Pete,
Dan, Bj�rn, and Rob.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations

> We'll give you a quotation from the King James Version of the Bible,
> and we'll tell you whether it's from the Old or the New Testament.
> You tell us which book it's from. None of the quotes are from
> the Apocrypha, nor -- here's a further useful hint -- from the
> Book of Habakkuk.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Old Testament: "And if any man's seed of copulation go out
> from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be
> unclean until the even."

Leviticus (15:16). 4 for Joshua, Peter, Marc, Jeff, Dan, and Rob.
3 for Pete. 2 for Stephen.

> 2. Old Testament: "Let the day perish wherein I was born, and
> the night in which it was said, There is a man child
> conceived."

Job (3:3). 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Rob.

> 3. New Testament: "And I saw in the right hand of him that
> sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
> sealed with seven seals."

Revelation (5:1). I accepted "Revelations", but don't try that
answer if you ever get on "Jeopardy!"; they won't. 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Peter, Stephen, Jeff, Pete, Dan, Bj�rn, and Rob.

> 4. New Testament: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
> us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only
> begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

John (1:14). 4 for Joshua, Peter, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Dan.

> 5. Old Testament: "And I will execute great vengeance upon them
> with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord,
> when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."

Ezekiel (25:17). (A version of this was used to great effect in the
movie "Pulp Fiction".) 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Dan. 3 for Stephen.

> 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> for thy love is better than wine."

Song of Solomon (or Song of Songs) (1:2). One or the other full
name was required. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Marc, Stephen, and Dan.

> 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> became a man, I put away childish things."

1st Corinthians (13:11). The book number was not required.
4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Rob. 2 for Pete and Dan.

> 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."

Acts (of the Apostles) (21:39). I scored "Apostles" as almost
correct. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, and Stephen.

> 9. Old Testament: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
> counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners,
> nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Psalms (1:1). 4 for Peter, Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

> 10. Old Testament: "Then I looked on all the works that my hands
> had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:
> and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and
> there was no profit under the sun."

Ecclesiastes (2:11). 4 for Joshua and Dan.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Sci His Lit
Stephen Perry 32 24 35 33 124
Joshua Kreitzer 31 36 24 32 123
Marc Dashevsky 24 36 16 16 92
Peter Smyth 8 35 24 24 91
Pete Gayde 32 12 23 21 88
Jeff Turner 28 32 16 8 84
Dan Blum 4 28 16 25 73
Rob Parker 0 32 16 15 63
Dan Tilque 20 32 -- -- 52
"Calvin" 11 16 16 0 43
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 24 12 40
Bj�rn Lundin -- -- 20 4 24
John Masters 0 8 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader "God help us if [the Nazis]'d won;
Toronto I cannot imagine their sitcoms."

swp

Jul 27, 2011, 11:39:05 AM7/27/11
On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:31:23 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:

> > I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> That was the history round, of course.

of course

> > * Game 3, Round 4 - Name a Year When...

> > 10. When a space shuttle was destroyed in an accident.
>

> 1986, 2003 (accepting 1985-87 or 2002-04). 4 for ... Stephen (the hard way) ...

hard? you have no idea

> > * Game 3, Round 6 - Biblical Quotations
>

> This was the hardest round in the original game.
>

> > 6. Old Testament: "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth:
> > for thy love is better than wine."
>
> Song of Solomon (or Song of Songs) (1:2). One or the other full
> name was required. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Marc, Stephen, and Dan.

since you specified the KJV Bible, wouldn't there be only 1 correct answer?

> > 7. New Testament: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I
> > understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
> > became a man, I put away childish things."
>
> 1st Corinthians (13:11). The book number was not required.

why wasn't the book # required? is it in both?

> > 8. New Testament: "But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew
> > of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city:
> > and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people."
>
> Acts (of the Apostles) (21:39). I scored "Apostles" as almost
> correct. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, and Stephen.

ok, so who got the "almost" score there?

> Scores, if there are no errors:

see above

swp

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2011, 12:16:02 PM7/27/11
Mark Brader:

> > Song of Solomon (or Song of Songs) (1:2). One or the other full
> > name was required. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Marc, Stephen, and Dan.

Stephen Perry:

> since you specified the KJV Bible, wouldn't there be only 1 correct answer?

The KJV was the source of the specific version of the pasages, but
we didn't specify that the books had to be named as given in it.

> > 1st Corinthians (13:11). The book number was not required.
>
> why wasn't the book # required? is it in both?

Because it was a brutally hard round and I was looking for ways to
give entrants the players a break. Who the hell knows anything about
the Bible?

> > Acts (of the Apostles) (21:39). I scored "Apostles" as almost
> > correct. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, and Stephen.
>
> ok, so who got the "almost" score there?

Oops! 3 for Erland. Revised scores, if there are now no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Sci His Lit
Stephen Perry 32 24 35 33 124
Joshua Kreitzer 31 36 24 32 123
Marc Dashevsky 24 36 16 16 92
Peter Smyth 8 35 24 24 91
Pete Gayde 32 12 23 21 88
Jeff Turner 28 32 16 8 84
Dan Blum 4 28 16 25 73
Rob Parker 0 32 16 15 63
Dan Tilque 20 32 -- -- 52
"Calvin" 11 16 16 0 43

Erland Sommarskog 0 4 24 11 39
Bj�rn Lundin -- -- 20 4 24

John Masters 0 8 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"I am good at fooling myself into believing that what I wrote

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 27, 2011, 5:43:24 PM7/27/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Because it was a brutally hard round and I was looking for ways to
> give entrants the players a break. Who the hell knows anything about
> the Bible?

And of course, it's no way easier if you've only read the Bible in Swedish,
and only know the Swedish names of the books. I started with some wild
guesses, but I ran out of steam after some time.

Then again, I will have to admit that Revelation is singular in Swedish too
"Johannes' uppbarelse", so I cannot use this excuse for that error. On the
other hand Acts is "Apostlag�rningarna" in Swedish (which translates exactly
to "Acts of the Apostles"), but I had no clue about the English name.