[Report] Fridays at First - 17 May 96

1 view

do...@netcom.com

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

do...@netcom.com

Friday's at First! SF Bay Sanctioned Type I tournaments held at
Who's on First? every other Friday at 7:30pm. Next event is
Fri 31 May. Call Jeff at 510-582-1893 for more information.
Hope to see you there!

do...@netcom.com

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

DOH!
Here's the real scoop:

Tourney Report for FRIDAYS AT FIRST!
on May 17th, 1996

We had a smaller turnout than desired, but it was a good tourney
nonetheless. Afshin Coleman continued to consistently place well in the
events, winning one for the first time after several good shows, and
catapulting himself to 1st place in overall standings after Four
tournaments. Chris Pantages returned to Who's on First? with The Deck
after trying out an experimental Mana Crypt deck in previous weeks.

Surprise card of the tournament (perhaps not so surprising)?

AA TTTTTT OOOO GGGG !!!!
AAAA TTTTTT OO OO GG GG !!!!
AA AA TT OO OO GG !!!!
AA AA TT OO OO GG GGG !!!!
AAAAAA TT OO OO GG GG !!
AA AA TT OO OO GG GG
AA AA TT OOOO GGGG !!

Yes indeed. Everyone's favorite grinning, munching, out-of-print, Type I
common monster was the star of the event. Of the Top 6 finishers, THREE
players used 4 Atogs in their standard decks. Among those were, Terry Don,
John Shen, and the winner, Afshin Coleman. Afshin's deck was a variant of
the 'Chicago' Atog deck. Chris Pantages' only loss was to Afshin. During
one of their games, Chris was once forced to counter a PSYCHIC PURGE(!) or
he would have died. You don't see that often. ;) Terry, who doesn't have
Net access, played one similar to the 'Atog Monstrosity' from L.A. And
John Shen played a strong Atog/Power Surge deck. Rounding out the top six
were David Izard, who snuck through the Swiss rankings after dropping an
early match, and Dan Oden who played a standard Kird/Serendib/GG/Mutation
deck, which left Afshin begging for REBs in his sideboard when they
played. Afshin's deck is listed below for reference. Note the missing
spoilers. :)

Congrats to all competitors. Soon, 80% of all Type I decks will be Atog
decks. MARK MY WORDS! ;)

RANK NAME SCORE WINS LOSSES SDOS
1 Afshin Coleman 30 4 0 675
2 Chris Pantages 24 3 1 441
3 David Izard 24 3 1 342
4 Dan Oden 21 3 1 450
5 Terry Don 24 2 2 324
6 John Shen 21 2 2 279
7 Sean Klein 21 2 2 162
8 Josh Lewis 18 2 2 243
9 Greg Singewald 15 2 2 261
10 Michael Singer 15 2 2 198
11 Austin Stenger 15 1 3 135
12 Jonny Costa 12 1 3 135
13 Nick Cunha 9 1 3 171
14 Art Alonzo 3 0 4 63

ATOG DECK
4 Atog
4 Lbolt
4 Chain L
2 Incinerate
1 Fork
1 Wheel of Fortune
(16)

4 Stormseeker
1 Regrowth
(5)

2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Copy Artifact
1 Ancestral Recall
(4)

4 Black Vise
4 Howling Mine
2 Ankh of Mishra
1 Zuran Orb
(11)

5 Moxen
1 Sol Ring
4 Mishra's Factories
2 Strip Mine
1 Library
4 Tropical Island
4 Taiga
2 Cities of Brass
2 Islands
(25)

TOTAL: 61 cards

Sideboard: 1 City in Bottle, 2 Meekstone, 2 Psi Blasts, 2 Fireball, 4
Psychic Purge, 4 Hydroblasts

Jeff