Atog Monstrosity?

1 view

James T. Kirby

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

Could someone please give me a quick rundown on the general ideas in
the Atog Monstrosity decks based around Mana Crypts and Vaults? I've
never seen one in our area (probably because no one has the Crypts).

Kirby

Alan Cade

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Basically, the Atog Monstrosity is this. It has Mana Crypts, tons of
direct damage, Jayemdae Tomes, Disrupting Scepters, Black Vices. It hits
you with insane amounts of damage before you have the chance to respond.
It consistently beats "The Deck," without much trouble. All in all, not
much you can do unless you build a deck designed to beat it, or restrict
the Mana Crypt.

-Chris Cade

"Victim's, aren't we all?"

The ZenGuy

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

i am not a big tourney player, in fact this weekend at the regionals will
be my biggest yet...anyhow the way *I* interpeted the Atog Monstrosity is
this: a fast big atog that killls you very early. i have played this deck
6 times and this is how it has faired. 5-1...the 1 loss coming to a white
weenie, 1 win was a 4th turn kill, 3 of the 5 wins were third turn kills,
and 1 was a second turn kills after taking a muligen in my opening
draw...the one cool thing about this deck is that if you don't draw an
atog first turn, there is a good chance you will get a muligen as well so
you can reshuffle and redraw (if allowed) and hope for better. most of the
cards serve a second roll in the deck if you get a bad draw...anyhow here
it is:

4 atogs
4 blood lusts
1 sol ring
1 feldon's cane
4 urza's baubles
4 barbed sextant
3 dark spheres
4 fountains of youth
4 jeweled amulets
4 ornithopters
4 howling mines
4 mana crypts
1 black lotus
1 mox emerald
1 mox jet
1 mox pearl
1 mox ruby
1 mox sapphire
1 wheel of fortune
1 timetwister
1 ancestral recall
4 volcanic islands
6 mountains

60 cards total

its pretty straight forward...if you get an atog out first turn, then
second turn he will be big when you attack and coupled with the fact there
is a good chance you will draw an artifact on turn 3 you should be able to
finish your oppenant off...yeah its a chancy deck...but there ain't
nothing like killing someone second turn without even putting out a land
hehe. anyhow that was my interpetation of the Atog Montrosity.
if you do play this deck...i ain't responsible for crappy draws...

James Grahame

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <4mosfu$o...@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

I don't know about the Disrupting Scepters, but I have heard of
Atog Monstrosity decks with 4 Mana Crypts and 4 Cyclopean Tombs. All the
opponent's lands end up Swamps ASAP, and 'Tog, Vises and Mishra's Factories
do the dirty work. If I remember right, some of the Big Daddy's Crew have
seen such a horror in action / played it; perhaps they'd like to post the
deck?

James

Daniel Gray

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

ja3g...@barrow.uwaterloo.ca (James Grahame) writes:

> James

Well, here's ONE version of an Atog Monstrosity. The deck most people
who were at PT2 are refering to as the Atog Monstrosity is the Chalice/Robaina
version, which I'm not going to post since it isn't my deck. If Mark or Mario
want to share it with the world, that's up to them. There is also another
annoying deck floating around based on the Mana Crypt deck designed by Brian
Weissman; it doesn't (normally) contain any Atogs, but it operates on some of
the same general principles as the Chalice/Robaina version. This version is
based on an old deck of mine, with a couple ideas(notably Ankh of Mishra &
Stormbind) I borrowed from Marc Aquino's old deck(which he brought to Chicago
in December, and where the Big Daddy's Crew and myself[visiting Chicago at the
time] first encountered it).

Black:
1 Demonic Tutor

Blue:
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timetwister
1 Copy Artifact

Green:
1 Regrowth
3 Storm Seeker

Red:
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Incinerate(or Chain Lightning)
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Fork
4 Atog

Artifacts:
1 Black Lotus
5 Moxes
1 Sol Ring
2 Mana Vault(or Mana Crypt-- Vaults are less dangerous)
4 Black Vise
4 Howling Mine
2 Ankh of Mishra

Etc.:
2 Stormbind

Land:
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Taiga
4 Volcanic Island
3 City of Brass
2 Forest
2 Strip Mine

Sideboard can be most anything. I used Meekstone, Psychic Purge,
Detonate, Pryoblast, City in a Bottle, & Blood Moon.
Dan Gray
Daniel M. Gray
Department of History
University of California, Santa Barbara

David Bartholow

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <dgray.831675806@casbah>, dg...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Daniel
Gray) wrote:

> Well, here's ONE version of an Atog Monstrosity. The deck most people
> who were at PT2 are refering to as the Atog Monstrosity is the Chalice/Robaina
> version, which I'm not going to post since it isn't my deck. If Mark or Mario
> want to share it with the world, that's up to them. There is also another
> annoying deck floating around based on the Mana Crypt deck designed by Brian
> Weissman; it doesn't (normally) contain any Atogs, but it operates on some of
> the same general principles as the Chalice/Robaina version. This version is
> based on an old deck of mine, with a couple ideas(notably Ankh of Mishra &
> Stormbind) I borrowed from Marc Aquino's old deck(which he brought to Chicago
> in December, and where the Big Daddy's Crew and myself[visiting Chicago at the
> time] first encountered it).

Just to be fair, Marc's deck, which he played in Chicago to great effect,
was originally conceived by Bob Kline. I'm not cutting on Marc, he and
Bob are both friends of mine here at Cornell. Marc actually plays the
deck better than Bob now, mostly because Bob doesn't enjoy playing it
anymore.

David Bartholow
ds...@cornell.edu

PS Put in more Ankhs!

Alan Cade

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

ja3g...@barrow.uwaterloo.ca (James Grahame) wrote:
>In article <4mosfu$o...@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>Alan Cade <Alan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>Basically, the Atog Monstrosity is this. It has Mana Crypts, tons of
>>direct damage, Jayemdae Tomes, Disrupting Scepters, Black Vices. It hits
>>you with insane amounts of damage before you have the chance to respond.
>>It consistently beats "The Deck," without much trouble. All in all, not
>>much you can do unless you build a deck designed to beat it, or restrict
>>the Mana Crypt.
>
> I don't know about the Disrupting Scepters, but I have heard of
>Atog Monstrosity decks with 4 Mana Crypts and 4 Cyclopean Tombs. All the
>opponent's lands end up Swamps ASAP, and 'Tog, Vises and Mishra's Factories
>do the dirty work. If I remember right, some of the Big Daddy's Crew have
>seen such a horror in action / played it; perhaps they'd like to post the
>deck?

The "Atog Monstrosity" I am referring to is the Chalice/Robaina version.
If was being played for ante at PT2 and worked anybody playing "The Deck."
I lost a Mana Crypt to this "Atog Monstrosity." As for the decks-
everyone has their own variant to it. I'm just referring to the one that
I see as being strongest.

Brian Wilson

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Before I could do anything to stop it, David Bartholow wrote:

> Just to be fair, Marc's deck, which he played in Chicago to great effect,
> was originally conceived by Bob Kline. I'm not cutting on Marc, he and
> Bob are both friends of mine here at Cornell. Marc actually plays the
> deck better than Bob now, mostly because Bob doesn't enjoy playing it
> anymore.

Okay, everyone who's ever built an Atog deck, raise your hand...

(thousands of hands go up all over the place)

Thanks.

There may be no one, there may be someone, there may be anyone, but there
is no "noone."

Proth51146

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

This deck has been doing very well against most of the strong type one
decks around here, but I witnessed an ante game in which the player of the
"monstrosity" got schooled by a 14 y/o playing a type 2 B/U Necrodisk with
blue for 4 fluxes.
(they don't need to restrict crypts unless they plan on restricting
fluxes.)

-Oliver Rothschild