Stormbind/Whiteout

Yehuda Berlinger

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Anyone ever tried the above combo? Seems perfect, colors even match ...

--
Yehuda (Jonathan) Berlinger
System Administration, Netmedia

Yehuda Berlinger

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

I (yeh...@magic.netmedia.net.il) apparently said:
: Anyone ever tried the above combo? Seems perfect, colors even match ...

Amazing no one has replied to this. I have been testing the combo out and
it's incredible. It make a powerful Stormbind deck much more powerful. You're
discarding the cards anyway; why twiddle your thumbs in mid-game tossing
out 1 land per turn when you can sac evry one of your lands for 2 points
of damage each - all of them at once! It's like a reverse Zorb.

I just tested it against a Red/Black creatureless and a Necro. Any time
I got the combo out, I won. Period.

My deck (playing 40 card decks at home) looks like:

4 elves
4 ernies
1 autumn
1 Y Ants
1 Lhurgoyf
i.e. 7 big green things and 4 mana producers
5 bolts/incins
5 red-x-spells
1 stormbind
1 whiteout
4/4/2/2 or 4/4/3/1 is better, of course, but I don't have it
1 zorb
2 mishra
7 forest
7 mountain

I'm sure other's could add to or balance the deck better than I, but I
reserve rights to the idea! Strombind/Whiteout here we come!

Staff

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Yehuda Berlinger wrote:

> I (yeh...@magic.netmedia.net.il) apparently said:
> : Anyone ever tried the above combo? Seems perfect, colors even match ...
>
> Amazing no one has replied to this. I have been testing the combo out and
> it's incredible. It make a powerful Stormbind deck much more powerful. You're
> discarding the cards anyway; why twiddle your thumbs in mid-game tossing
> out 1 land per turn when you can sac evry one of your lands for 2 points
> of damage each - all of them at once! It's like a reverse Zorb.
>
> ...Any time I got the combo out, I won. Period.
><snip>
> Yehuda (Jonathan) Berlinger

I'll reply...

Very interesting in theory. In general, how are you getting around the
"Discard a card AT RANDOM from your hand..."? If your sacking lands,
won't your hand start to fill with other things?

Or is the idea simply that you wait 'til you have enough snow-covered
out to pull it off in big blast? Hard to stop (well, not for white...)
but it still seems costly. And wouldn't you only be able to sack half
the lands at a time?

I see it this way:
* You've got 6 snowcovered lands in front of you. <shiver>
* Your Stormbind is out.
* Whiteout is your only card in hand. <dbl-shiver>
Step 1: You tap 2 lands & discard Whiteout to do 2 damage.
Step 2: You sack a land to bring Whiteout home.
Repeat twice.

You've done 6 damage that, although can't be counterspelled, cost you 3
lands to drop. IF you draw a snowyland next turn, you might be able to
do 4 more (otherwise 2 more). IMHO, Kaervek's Torch (the Fireball from
Mirage that requires Interrupts pay 2 extra mana) would be better in
those Whiteout slots: although its one less damage and is possible
(though hard) to counter, all the lands stay and (most important) if you
haven't got the Stormbind, it still works.

As I said, very interesting in theory. Problems arise against quality
white, good land destruction or hand destruction decks. Its may be
functional when Countering is a BIG problem (but your opponent is going
to Force of Will and discard his soul to stop Stormbind). One thing...
due to the activation cost and random discard of 'Bind, you can't quite
call it "Reverse Zorb".

Any thoughts? And, btw, keep looking for combo's... you've got a good
eye, I think your just underestimating semantics here.

That's all... Staff

Daniel Holzer

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

What this combo needs is Lodestone bauble. I wonderful artifact by
itself, useful against many popular decks, it can be use to put those 3
snow-covered lands you just sacced right on top of your library.
Another thing is that I believe the original deck had some elves. With
enough non-land mana you can do 2 damage for every land you control, all
in one turn. After 3-4 bolts that much damage is devastating. As far as
the original post went, I would replace the Lhurghoif, Ants, and Autumn
with Deadly Insects. With all that DD you should have no trouble
destroying the opponents creatures, and the Insect can hit for an
incredible 6 damage a turn.

Staff (rene...@netrover.com) wrote:

: Yehuda Berlinger wrote:
: >
[...]

Well, I wouldn't start saccing land until I'm ready to finish my opponent.

: Or is the idea simply that you wait 'til you have enough snow-covered

: out to pull it off in big blast? Hard to stop (well, not for white...)
: but it still seems costly. And wouldn't you only be able to sack half
: the lands at a time?

Maybe not one blast, but why not in 1-2 turns.

:
[...]

---=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----======-----=====-----=====-----===
| Daniel Holzer, dho...@sas.upenn.edu |
| http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dholzer/ |
| University of Pennsylvania |
|______________________________________|

Staff

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Nice call, Danial. So how about this (adapted for 60 card play).

4 4th Elves
2 Mirage Elves
4 Erhnam Djinns
4 Deadly Insects
4 Lightning Bolts
2 Incinerates
4 Fire Balls
1 Kaervek's Torch
3 Stormbind
3 Whiteout
2 Zuran Orb
3 Loadstone Baubles
2 Mishra's Factory
2 Karplusan Forest
10 Snow-Covered Forest
10 Snow-Covered Mountain
--
60 Cards (24 lands)

One thing, Yehuda, (and I'm sure you know) you've got to get more than
one Stormbind for this combo to be viable. Artifact mana may be
something to consider. Also, Rampant Growth or Nature's Lore might help
get those land's into position (since having the combo and not enough
lands could arise).

I'm starting to really like Yehuda's combo but I still see dangers
against White; one untapped land and a CoP:R or G and the whole deck
could seize (especially in the second game when the opponent is more
aware). This deck needs a strong anti-white sideboard (maybe
Tranquilities to fire off before the Stormbind drops?).

That's all...

Daniel Holzer wrote:
> What this combo needs is Lodestone bauble. I wonderful artifact by
> itself, useful against many popular decks, it can be use to put those 3
> snow-covered lands you just sacced right on top of your library.
> Another thing is that I believe the original deck had some elves. With
> enough non-land mana you can do 2 damage for every land you control, all
> in one turn. After 3-4 bolts that much damage is devastating. As far as
> the original post went, I would replace the Lhurghoif, Ants, and Autumn
> with Deadly Insects. With all that DD you should have no trouble
> destroying the opponents creatures, and the Insect can hit for an
> incredible 6 damage a turn.
>
> Staff (rene...@netrover.com) wrote:
>
> : Yehuda Berlinger wrote:
> : > Amazing no one has replied to this. I have been testing the combo out and
> : > it's incredible. It make a powerful Stormbind deck much more powerful. You're
> : > discarding the cards anyway; why twiddle your thumbs in mid-game tossing
> : > out 1 land per turn when you can sac evry one of your lands for 2 points
> : > of damage each - all of them at once! It's like a reverse Zorb.

> : > Yehuda (Jonathan) Berlinger

> : Very interesting in theory. In general, how are you getting around the
> : "Discard a card AT RANDOM from your hand..."? If your sacking lands,
> : won't your hand start to fill with other things?
>
> Well, I wouldn't start saccing land until I'm ready to finish my opponent.
>
> : Or is the idea simply that you wait 'til you have enough snow-covered
> : out to pull it off in big blast?

yeh...@netmedia.net.il

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Some points to ponder:

1. you can sac tapped lands,and you're doing 2 points per land, so you can do
x points one round, x/2 the next, etc..., there is no activation cost (like
there is in a red - x spell. There is also no way it can be hymned out of your
hand, and no wait for the card to come up again. plus you can divide these 2
points of damage any way you want

2. People already play Stormbind deck identical to the ones listed in this
thread anyway, and then, after tossing their hand, they just sit there tossing
one card per round, two if they got a howling mine out. Then they twiddle their
thumbs. opp attacks with a ball lightning? thumb twiddle. Once this combo
comes out (and it is just as easy to get out as stormbind itself, because
you can't counter the whiteout!) you got two point any time you want anywhere
you want. just like the hammer.

> I'm starting to really like Yehuda's combo but I still see dangers
> against White; one untapped land and a CoP:R or G and the whole deck
> could seize (especially in the second game when the opponent is more
> aware). This deck needs a strong anti-white sideboard (maybe
> Tranquilities to fire off before the Stormbind drops?).

3. this deck isn't shut down because it has direct red and green damage, so they
need COP's for both. True, either will shutdown the sb, but once again, how is
that any different from a normal sb deck? there are plenty of ways to deal
with cop's including LD, tranqs, barbs, anarchy, etc... all of which could
be put in the sideboard.

> > : Very interesting in theory. In general, how are you getting around the
> > : "Discard a card AT RANDOM from your hand..."?

how about 10 points of damage divided anyway i like? next round pick a lava
burst - take another 5. next round pick a land - take another 6 anyway!