Snake basket+outpost+a.flash q's

Oscar Setiawan

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

1> Would the tokens created by snake baskets, outpost, sacred mesa,
etc.. take damage when Aether Flash is in play ? I think the answer is
yes but not sure.

2> I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent
disenchanted it.
Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery or
there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my basket
(except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?

Thanks for reading this !!

Oscar Setiawan

Final Echo

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

1) Yes, The flash kills the snakes... counters that are creatures are
still creatures coming into play.
2) You can RESPOND to his disenchant by using the snake basket... you
can't 'back him up' and you dont want to... because he just wasted a
disenchant.... even if he responds to your use of the snake basket with
ANOTHER disenchant... the basket effect still works.... removing source
doesnt remove effect... etc etc...

Ad Rovers

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Oscar Setiawan says...

>1> Would the tokens created by snake baskets, outpost, sacred mesa,
>etc.. take damage when Aether Flash is in play ? I think the answer is
>yes but not sure.

Yes the token creatures are entering play, so trigger the AEther Flash,
wich deals 2 damage to each of them, thus killing them.

>2> I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent
>disenchanted it.
>Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery or
>there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my basket
>(except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?

You're the Active Player, so you have the right to start any
spell stack. After resolution of the casting of the Snake Basket, play
returns to the neutral state in your main phase. You have priority for
doing things, so you can announce you're using the Snake Basket (and
sacrificing it as a cost) before your opponent has a chance to cast
Disenchant on it.

'NS
Ad Rovers

Ingo Warnke

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Final Echo (fina...@aol.com) wrote:
: 1) Yes, The flash kills the snakes... counters that are creatures are
: can't 'back him up' and you dont want to... because he just wasted a

: disenchant.... even if he responds to your use of the snake basket with
: ANOTHER disenchant... the basket effect still works.... removing source
: doesnt remove effect... etc etc...

You neglected one important factor of the Sanke Basket, it says to play
its ability as a Sorcery. That means you can't respond to the Dis-
enchant, because Soreceries can't respond.

So lets say you are in the neutral state right after the Snake Basket
resolved. You have priority, so you can activate its ability now.
But if you choose not to (for example by starting a spell stack with
something else, like casting a creature), your opponent can add at
some time during that spell stack a Disenchant aimed at the Basket.
You can not respond to that with activating it, since it must be played
as a Sorcery.

Ingo Warnke

Simeon Jones

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

In article <33CDAE...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>, From Oscar Setiawan
<oset...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>, the following was written:

> 1> Would the tokens created by snake baskets, outpost, sacred mesa,
> etc.. take damage when Aether Flash is in play ? I think the answer
> is yes but not sure.

You are correct, the tokens come into play ( pretty much in the same
manner as tombstone tokens, Soldiers etc ) >

> 2> I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent
> disenchanted it.
> Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery
> or there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my
> basket (except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?

You cast Snake basket,
Spell Resolves.

After this batch finishes it is your turn to start a batch of effects.
If you decline to start a batch then your opponent can start a batch.
So he must give you the opportunity to start a batch of effects before
he can disenchant it.

--
Simeon Jones sim...@waverider.co.uk
remove "Delete" from email to reply

Bennett Niizawa

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Final Echo wrote:

> 1) Yes, The flash kills the snakes... counters that are creatures are
> still creatures coming into play.
> 2) You can RESPOND to his disenchant by using the snake basket... you
> can't 'back him up' and you dont want to... because he just wasted a
> disenchant.... even if he responds to your use of the snake basket with
> ANOTHER disenchant... the basket effect still works.... removing source
> doesnt remove effect... etc etc...

I don't believe this is correct. Snake Basket says to play it's ability
as a sorcery. You cannot respond to an instant such as Disenchant with a
sorcery. In fact, if your opponent Disenchants the Basket during your
discard phase, you can't do much of anything.

Send mail to ques...@wizards.com...they will verify this.

Doug Curry

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Oscar Setiawan <oset...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu> wrote

> 2. I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent

> disenchanted it.
> Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery or
> there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my basket
> (except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?

Actually, you can make him back up because you are the active player. He
has no priority to play spells or effect on your turn. However, you don't
want to "back him up," you want to allow him to make his mistake, then
"respond" to his Disenchant with activating the Basket. This will cause
his Disenchant to fizzle since its target will be missing at resolution
time. Timing is everything.

David DeLaney

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

"Doug Curry" <Doug=Curry%AppSrv%Sys=H...@netgate.compaq.com> writes:
>Oscar Setiawan <oset...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu> wrote
>> 2. I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent
>> disenchanted it.
>> Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery or
>> there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my basket
>> (except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?
>
>Actually, you can make him back up because you are the active player. He
>has no priority to play spells or effect on your turn. However, you don't
>want to "back him up," you want to allow him to make his mistake, then
>"respond" to his Disenchant with activating the Basket.

Normally, yes. But the Basket's ability is played as a Sorcery, so it can't
be done in response to the Disenchant at all. So you basically say "What
is that Disenchant doing there by itself? _I_ didn't start a batch yet,
and it's my turn", tap the X mana needed, and start a batch by using the
Snake Basket. [If you start a batch by doing anything else, that gives him
the time to legally Disenchant the Basket before you can use it, since it's
usable only as a sorcery.]

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
http://panacea.phys.utk.edu/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Patrick Donovan

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Final Echo wrote:
> 2) You can RESPOND to his disenchant by using the snake basket... you
> can't 'back him up' and you dont want to... because he just wasted a
> disenchant.... even if he responds to your use of the snake basket with
> ANOTHER disenchant... the basket effect still works.... removing source
> doesnt remove effect... etc etc...
Actually, due to the neutral state rule, you can back him up (And must,
since the Basket ability is a sorcery speed effect. If however you said
that you were done, then you could not back him up. Or, you also can
not back him up if he casts the Disenchant in response to another
spell/effect that you do later.

-The Panther

Robert Schwartz

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

In article <01bc92bd$66f7c780$779612ac@mishra>,
"Doug Curry" <Doug=Curry%AppSrv%Sys=H...@netgate.compaq.com> wrote:

>Oscar Setiawan <oset...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu> wrote
>
>> 2. I just cast a Snake Basket successfully into play, then my opponent
>> disenchanted it.
>> Can I back him up, use the Basket ability first (sac it) as a sorcery or
>> there isn't any other way to prevent him from disenchanting my basket
>> (except by countering it) thus losing my snake basket ?
>
>Actually, you can make him back up because you are the active player. He
>has no priority to play spells or effect on your turn. However, you don't
>want to "back him up," you want to allow him to make his mistake, then

>"respond" to his Disenchant with activating the Basket. This will cause
>his Disenchant to fizzle since its target will be missing at resolution
>time. Timing is everything.

Normally, this would be a perfectly plausible (albeit sleazy) tactic; however, since the Basket,
as mentioned, can only be activated as a sorcery, you would not be able to activate it in
response to a disenchant.

So you'd be better off doing it the old-fashioned way; tell your opponent to hold his horses
since it's not his priority, and sac the basket as the beginning of a batch.

- Metamorph

This space intentionally left blank.

JASON MCCOY

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

In article <19970717083...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, fina...@aol.com (Final Echo) writes:
> 1) Yes, The flash kills the snakes... counters that are creatures are
> still creatures coming into play.

This is true.

> 2) You can RESPOND to his disenchant by using the snake basket... you
> can't 'back him up' and you dont want to... because he just wasted a
> disenchant.... even if he responds to your use of the snake basket with
> ANOTHER disenchant... the basket effect still works.... removing source
> doesnt remove effect... etc etc...

This is not. You cannot "respond" to his disenchant by using the basket. The
ability on the basket is played as a Sorcery, and therefore may not be used "in
response" to anything. You CAN back him up. THe reason for this is that YOU are
the active player. He cannot cast disenchant until you do something for his to
respond to. You may use the basket, ridding yourself of the disenchant fodder.
He cannot cast the disenchant, so it stays in his hand (barring any other legal
targets, of course).>
| | |
| Jason McCoy | Visit the Nexus! |
| of | You can find us on the Web at: |