Atlanta Team Tourny Report

Mario Robaina

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

I'm back for a Report on the Team Tourny. Here it goes...

Saturday 10 am - I'll skip the part about opening and recording decks and
get straight to the deck construction. We look at what we've got and are
somewhat pleased. We have a Jokulhaups, 3 Words of Command, and 3 Dark
Banishings. We end up building a B/U/W deck with one Word, the 3
Banishings, and Marik as the white spell. Mark Chalice ends up playing
this deck as some of the subtleties of the deck suit his playing style.
He ends up catching a lot of people off guard with vague rulings
technicalities that his deck generates. Preston Poulter gets the G/W
deck with a lot of Banding and big creatures. Mark Justice plays the R/U
control deck with two Words, a Binding Grasp, and some some counters.
Scott Johns gets the R/G deck with some really meaty Green creatures with
the red support via Direct Damage. I get the Jokulhaups deck. This deck
got the left over red creatures and some Direct damage in the form of a
Guerilla Tactics, Pyrokenesis, and a Meteor Shower. The creatures really
suck. the only decent red ones are a Storm Shaman and Flame Spirit.
White gives me a Carrier Pigeon and a Kjeldoran Skycaptain.

Round #1 - We play a team that we don't know, and win 4-1 with my match
being the one loss. My deck sucks compared to the relatively well tuned
decks I'm facing. I don't like our chances.

Round #2 - I lose fast once again. Preston gets coffee spilled on his
deck and it is proxied. He has lost the first game. Scott Johns wins,
but Chalice loses his match. Preston wins and Justice pulls off game 3
of his match to give us a 3-2 win... I like our chances even less.

Round #3 - I sit down and tell my opponent that my deck sucks. He says
the same and I hope to have a chance to win... I do! 2-0 and watch the
rest of my teammates play out the round. Mark Chalice beats the guy with
the enduring renewal, elkin bottle, thawing glaciers, and good creatures
2-0. He got out the marike/Norrit combo in game 2 to lock down the
opponent. Scott Johns and Mark Justice lose and it's up to Preston to
pull of the win. However, things look bleak as his opponent has a
Thawing Glaciers and the Sage that lets you sack 2 lands to draw 2 of 3
cards. They run out of time with his oppoent at one card. 2-0-1

Round #4 - We now face some team from Florida that is really annoying. I
don't really like them. I am totally outclassed as I'm mana screwed in
game 1 and my opponent drops a 2nd turn Yamivaya Ancients and a 4th turn
Shambling Strider. I let my teammates know I've lost (again) and proceed
to watch their matches. Somehow, Chalice beats the guy with 2 Fire
Covenants, and Mark Justice scrapes through his match. Scott does his
best to win, but his opponent's Zuran Orb keeps him alive and Scott loses
a tight one after doing about 35 pts of damage. The final match is going
on with Preston who is in bad shape. His opponent is at 9 and has a
Norrit, Tim, and an Ice Flow. Time is also running out. Preston then
draws his Hurricane and counts his mana. He's one short. He only has
the next draw to draw the land if he wants to win. He does. Once more
we win 3-2.

Round #5 - We have to win to make the final 4. We are currently in the
#3 position and have to play a team made up of some guys from the Chech
Republic and Australia (including Tom Chanpheng). I let my opponent know
that my deck sucks. He doesn't speak a lot of English, so I don't think
he understood. After crushing me in game 1, I think he got the picture.
he's playing Blue so I sideboard in my Curse of Marit Lage and my Omen of
Fire. Both of those are key in games 2 and 3 as I win because of them.
We win the match surprisingly easily 4-1. We're in the final 4 and we
don't have to play Team Oasis, who supposedly have the most amazing decks
of the field.

Semifinals - We're up against the Canadian team. This team is very
strong with Eric Tam, Paul McCabe, Matt Vienneau, and Terry Borer. I
think we are in trouble. I let my opponent know that my deck sucks, but
that I can win if he is mana screwed or is playing one particular color
(Blue). I'm playing Matt Vienneau, who I played in the Singles the day
before. This match was incredibly tight. In game 1 he hits me with a
Stromgald Spy and sees my Jokulhaups (which I really haven't seen all
tourny long). He adjusts his style and crushes me in game 1. I once
again sidboard in my Curse and Omen. Preston has already been swept so
we're down 1-0. I play very carefully and end up taking 3 hits from an
Illusionary Forces, until Matt is tapped out of blue. I then kill his
Forces and I Omen of Fire him. I've basically Armageddoned him as the
majority of his land are Islands. I win quickly after that. The judges
then clear up the rules and let us know that if a team is up 1-0 when the
hour is up that that team wins... We begin to really hurry. I'm in
control as Matt has drawn mostly lands. I'm hurrying and he's trying to
stall a little (I was told later, that he only had lands in his hand when
he was thinking). I hurry though my turns knowing that I have him...
With 3 minutes left Scott declares that he's won. 1 min later I won and
then Chalice won with about 30 seconds to go.... Whew... that was
close...

Finals - As expected we play Team Oasis. They have some great decks and
we are very worried. I feel like we've be just getting by since round
2, and Oasis hasn't even come close to losing. I let my opponent know
that my deck sucks and that I can really only win if he is playing one
particular color (or if he's mana screwed). His first two lands are
Mountains and Swamps and I lose any confidence that the last two rounds
might have given me. He quickly overwhelms me with a soul kissed Bone
Shaman. In game 2, I sideboard in my Reprisal and COP: Red. He is stuck
at 4 mana in game 2 and he doesn't draw enough creatures. I get off to a
good start and manage to just get by as he nearly comes back. I find
that Preston has already lost and Mark Justice is in serious trouble.
I'm very tense, because my game might be critical... My opening hand
gives me my two walls of lava, which I hope to use to hold off my
opponent. The key card of the match is played on turn 3, COP: Red. I
could see the color drain from my opponent's face when that hit the
table. I knew he could get rid of it. Shortly thereafter Scott Johns
won his match to tie the Finals at 1-1. I got out my Keljoran Skycaptain
and got my opponent down to 11 before he killed it. with a Guerrilla
Tactics and Meteor Shower in hand I could get my opponent down to 5, but
I still had the Jokulhaups coming. Chalice won his match to take us to
2-1, but the word was that Justice would lose his match. I knew my match
was the key and when the Jokulhaups hit the table the game was won,
along with the match and the tourny.

Wow. Needless to say I was very excited.

Later,

Mario.

Mario Robaina

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51poau$q...@lendl.cc.emory.edu> dle...@curly.cc.emory.edu (David Leader) writes:

>Just for the record, the team he didn't like which was annoying was not
>from Florida, but from Atlanta :'>. I actually enjoyed playing Preston
>a lot, and was rather shocked that he managed to break my lock with the
>hurricane. I figured he would drop the cold snap again and kill me in
>that manner :'>. In any case, he taught me quite a bit about timing
>rules, and I hope that improves our future play (Still, going 3-1-1 when
>none of us had ever been to pro tour before can't be considered bad :'>..
>and we deffinetly put up a good fight :'>)
>
>-Dave (Team Entropy - Why Fight It?)

Actually Dave you seemed quite nice, but the guy I played was way
obnoxious... He seemed to totally delight in the fact that his deck was
so much better than mine. I'm sorry if I grouped the whole team into
that description. I thought you were from Fla, because of the New Wave
shirts. I now remember that David Doust promotes in both Fla and
Georgia... Again, I'm sorry for the generalization.

Later,

Mario.

David Leader

Canticle

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

: alien <al...@tiac.net> wrote in article
<51q5tp$s...@news-in3.tiac.net>...

: I know what you mean Mario. I played the fat jerk in the 1st round

Ah, the 'fat jerk'. Please, if you're going to lower yourself to the
lowest common denominator of competition, strive for originality. Any
mediocre intellect on the street can call an overweight individual a 'fat
jerk'. Any physical aspect which sets someone apart from someone else can
be used as an insult, it takes no creativity whatsoever, and blatant
baiting of this sort is really beneath people who should rely on their
skills to their speaking for them.

: and when he was locked dowm with my conjurors producing 2/2 dudes
: and a couple other creatures out the dick heard the 2 minute warning,

Ah, 'the dick'. How...common. If you are going to use gutter insults, try
something like 'Piss infected cum bubble', or perhaps something even more
crass. Otherwise you're just like a million other people out there, and
the only thing that sets you apart is a few thousand dollars which may or
may not even be there later.

: had one stupid spider on the board, and no cards in his hand. He
: drew a card and started to think for a minute. I'm at 16 life so I
: ask him if he wants to attack me or not and whether or not he wanted

This is what can be expected from a Pro Tournament which allows trash
talking, intimidation and other such 'tactics' in professional play.
Stalling, instead of being clamped down on, becomes yet another tactic,
and the only thing that determines its success or not is how well someone
does it.

: to play the land he just drew. I yelled for my teammates to get a
: judge over to watch his obvious stalling. He then said go. I bashed

Nothing was really stopping you from doing so, was there? Not that I
object...if he was obviously stalling, a judge should have been
signalled.

: guy is one awesome player. I hope you qualify for Dallas because I
: will enjoy making you look like a dumb ass if you have the unfortunate
: luck of playing me.

(BTW, I'm not the fat individual to whom Hammer is referring...at best,
I'm emaciated :)).

Well, I'm going to be attempting to qualify for Dallas this weekend, and
if I do, I hope to meet you as well. I'm interested in seeing if your
trash talking is really as bad as people say. If the above is any
indication, the only problem I'd have would be the suppression of
giggles.

~ Jeff Franzmann ~ We tread where angels fear to go
~ Campaign Outfitters Netrep ~ Where childish crimes
~ Editor in Chief, CPI ~ Are yours and mine
~Winnipeg, Manitoba ~ Lick the tears from my face
~ CANADA ~ Be my slave, my soul divine
Campaign Outfitters Homepage: http://www.aratar.mb.ca/~campaign
Canticle Publishing Homepage : http://www.aratar.mb.ca/~canticle

Aziz

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Mario Robaina wrote:

> I'm back for a Report on the Team Tourny. Here it goes...
>
> Saturday 10 am - I'll skip the part about opening and recording decks and
> get straight to the deck construction. We look at what we've got and are
> somewhat pleased. We have a Jokulhaups, 3 Words of Command, and 3 Dark

Words of Command, huh? cooool. :)

> Banishings. We end up building a B/U/W deck with one Word, the 3
> Banishings, and Marik as the white spell. Mark Chalice ends up playing
> this deck as some of the subtleties of the deck suit his playing style.
> He ends up catching a lot of people off guard with vague rulings
> technicalities that his deck generates. Preston Poulter gets the G/W
> deck with a lot of Banding and big creatures. Mark Justice plays the R/U
> control deck with two Words, a Binding Grasp, and some some counters.
> Scott Johns gets the R/G deck with some really meaty Green creatures with
> the red support via Direct Damage. I get the Jokulhaups deck. This deck
> got the left over red creatures and some Direct damage in the form of a
> Guerilla Tactics, Pyrokenesis, and a Meteor Shower. The creatures really
> suck. the only decent red ones are a Storm Shaman and Flame Spirit.
> White gives me a Carrier Pigeon and a Kjeldoran Skycaptain.

Not to take anything away from you guys, but from what I saw, you guys
had really solid pulls, cardwise. My team got 2 tactics and a lava
burst, no other red damage. Only one Banishing, no Icies, Fire
Covenants, Binding Grasp, Ice Floe, Zuran Orb/Enchanter. It was very
frustrating. I think we could've done well with an average deck, as in
maybe make the top 4. But our cards were really quite stinky.

> Round #4 - We now face some team from Florida that is really annoying. I

Hey, now.... Those guys were from Atlanta, not Florida.

> Covenants, and Mark Justice scrapes through his match. Scott does his

Scrapes through? If you remember, Justice received a forfeit since
Atlanta only had 4 players.

> a tight one after doing about 35 pts of damage. The final match is going
> on with Preston who is in bad shape. His opponent is at 9 and has a

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, but Scott's match was not over before
Preston's. Preston won, then Scott said, "I'm glad it didn't come down
to me!" Or something.

I enjoyed the report, thanks. See you in Dallas.

Aziz
Team 5 Guys With a Peter

alien

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

> In article <51poau$q...@lendl.cc.emory.edu> dle...@curly.cc.emory.edu (David Leader) writes:
> >
> >Just for the record, the team he didn't like which was annoying was not
> >from Florida, but from Atlanta :'>. I actually enjoyed playing Preston
> >a lot, and was rather shocked that he managed to break my lock with the
> >hurricane. I figured he would drop the cold snap again and kill me in
> >that manner :'>. In any case, he taught me quite a bit about timing
> >rules, and I hope that improves our future play (Still, going 3-1-1 when
> >none of us had ever been to pro tour before can't be considered bad :'>..
> >and we deffinetly put up a good fight :'>)
> >
> >-Dave (Team Entropy - Why Fight It?)
>

> Actually Dave you seemed quite nice, but the guy I played was way
> obnoxious... He seemed to totally delight in the fact that his deck was
> so much better than mine. I'm sorry if I grouped the whole team into
> that description. I thought you were from Fla, because of the New Wave
> shirts. I now remember that David Doust promotes in both Fla and
> Georgia... Again, I'm sorry for the generalization.
>
> Later,
>
> Mario.

I know what you mean Mario. I played the fat jerk in the 1st round

and when he was locked dowm with my conjurors producing 2/2 dudes
and a couple other creatures out the dick heard the 2 minute warning,

had one stupid spider on the board, and no cards in his hand. He
drew a card and started to think for a minute. I'm at 16 life so I
ask him if he wants to attack me or not and whether or not he wanted

to play the land he just drew. I yelled for my teammates to get a
judge over to watch his obvious stalling. He then said go. I bashed

him with my dudes down to 3 life and said go. He drew another card
and proceded to think. I mean give me a break. The only things in his
deck to think about was when to giant growth his creature with one
growth or to incerate me with his 2 incinerates. I'm sure his teammates
gave him this deck because there was no thinking necessary as it was
obvious he would have trouble doing so. Nonetheless, we ran out of
time on his turn and then he showed me the 2 lands he had drawn. That

guy is one awesome player. I hope you qualify for Dallas because I
will enjoy making you look like a dumb ass if you have the unfortunate
luck of playing me.

HAMMER

Jeff Sternal

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <sprmarioD...@netcom.com>,
sprm...@netcom.com (Mario Robaina) wrote:

>I'm back for a Report on the Team Tourny. Here it goes...

>Saturday 10 am - I'll skip the part about opening and recording decks and
>get straight to the deck construction. We look at what we've got and are
>somewhat pleased. We have a Jokulhaups, 3 Words of Command, and 3 Dark
>Banishings.

Words of Command!?
No wonder you guys rocked. ;)

>We're in the final 4 and we don't have to play Team Oasis, who
>supposedly have the most amazing decks of the field.

>Finals - As expected we play Team Oasis. They have some great

>decks and we are very worried.

I'm still trying to figure this out. We had *one* deck with
a few ridiculous cards (the White/Green Bander deck w/ Outpost,
Splintering Wind, and Inheritance), and rumors were circulating
about how we had type-II-quality decks. I guess that's what
happens when you're a bunch of nobodies.

Anyway, interesting report & congrats.

Jeff

Sun God

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

sprm...@netcom.com (Mario Robaina) writes:

>Finals - As expected we play Team Oasis. They have some great decks and
>we are very worried. I feel like we've be just getting by since round
>2, and Oasis hasn't even come close to losing.

Not exactly true: Our match scores were

Round 1: Neutral Ground - 3.5 1.5
Round 2: Team Amnesia - 5.0 0.0
Round 3: Team Canada - 3.0 2.0
Round 4: Team SMK - 3.0 2.0
Round 5: Wrath of God - 4.0 1.0
Semifinals: Europe Dudes- 4.0 1.0

Total: 22.5 7.5

The only real scare we had, I suppose, was against Team Canada. They
were all excellent players and I think every match went to a 3rd game.
None of us thought PCL would beat them in the Semifinals, and we were not
eager to face them again! The round against Team SMK was fairly close, but
besides our White/Green deck being swept by the asshole with 2 icies and 3
banishings (Guevin), we had the other matches under control against SMK.
As for having great decks, it was certainly not due to amazing cards.
We had one Ray of Command to your three. One Binding Grasp to your two.
Our rares were Seraph, Gargantuan Gorilla, and Kjeldoran Outpost. Yours
were Merike Ri Berit, Lhurgoyf, Jokulhaups. (that I know of) I'd call that
about even. My red/black deck didn't contain a single rare card. Our
red/green deck struggled with one strider, no scaled wurm, no Ants, no
Insects, no Ancients, no Berserkers. We had one banishing and one feast or
famine, 3 Guerrila tactics (oh boy) and 3 Meteor Showers - admittedly
a very good card, but then again we had no Lava Burst or Soul Burn.
The reason we didn't want to remake decks was certainly not that we
feared getting worse cards. It was that we thought we had done the best
job of constructing 5 decks based around the common cards and didn't think
the other teams deserved a chance to learn from their mistakes during the
tournament when we had a very coherent strategy planned beforehand and had
enacted it so smoothly.

>I let my opponent know
>that my deck sucks and that I can really only win if he is playing one
>particular color (or if he's mana screwed). His first two lands are
>Mountains and Swamps and I lose any confidence that the last two rounds
>might have given me. He quickly overwhelms me with a soul kissed Bone
>Shaman.

I should have realized that you would have one or both COPs for the
final two games and sideboarded in the third Soul Kiss, hoping to kill you
quickly. My only sideboard was a Stench of Evil and a Varchild's Crusader
for an Orcish farmer and a Krovikan Fetish. The Crusader had won a match
by being unblockably soul-kissed and was easier to cast, colored
mana-wise, than the farmer. The Farmer/Moor Fiend combo had yet to happen
in the entire tournament with only one of each, so I took it out, which
was a mistake against a deck with walls and circles...ah well, tired
people can be very stupid.

In game 2, I sideboard in my Reprisal and COP: Red. He is stuck
>at 4 mana in game 2 and he doesn't draw enough creatures. I get off to a
>good start and manage to just get by as he nearly comes back.

I had one land for two turns and eventually had to discard three times,
and you got off to a much faster start than you did in games one or three.
Argh! Nothing I could do but die.

I find
>that Preston has already lost and Mark Justice is in serious trouble.
>I'm very tense, because my game might be critical... My opening hand
>gives me my two walls of lava, which I hope to use to hold off my
>opponent. The key card of the match is played on turn 3, COP: Red. I
>could see the color drain from my opponent's face when that hit the
>table. I knew he could get rid of it.

Couldn't, you mean. The match was basically over with the Jokulhaups in
your hand and the circle on the table. I just kept praying for a black
creature and a soul kiss or the Stench of Evil. I drew every last red
creature in my deck before finally drawing the Moor Fiend, but never drew
a Soul Kiss or Stench and the Farmer wasn't in the deck. I was too tired
and dejected after the mana screwed second game and the CoP turn 3 in the
third game to even consider the possibility that yours was the deck I had
been hearing about all day with the Johulhaups. You did tap out enough a
couple of times for me to squeak a couple of creatures through to do
damage, but you could have iced the cake by pumping up your walls to kill
my black creatures and taking damage from my smaller red creatures for one
turn, and at 19 life you were out of reach of this attrition strategy.
Perhaps it was foolish of me to play conservatively and wait for a Soul
Kiss, but although I noticed you were holding a lot of cards, I thought it
was simply because you feared tapping out because of the COP. Doh!

Shortly thereafter Scott Johns
>won his match to tie the Finals at 1-1. I got out my Keljoran Skycaptain
>and got my opponent down to 11 before he killed it. with a Guerrilla
>Tactics and Meteor Shower in hand I could get my opponent down to 5, but
>I still had the Jokulhaups coming. Chalice won his match to take us to
>2-1, but the word was that Justice would lose his match. I knew my match
>was the key and when the Jokulhaups hit the table the game was won,
>along with the match and the tourny.

>Wow. Needless to say I was very excited.

It was a fun experience, if somewhat marred by all of the people who
badmouthed our ability and claimed we simply had "great cards", only being
able to name the Outpost when asked for specifics. I don't know why people
feel the need to be such assholes. They're just insulting themselves by
implying that a team of scrubs can go undefeated in a team competition
while playing against a field of professional players. Come on, Mike
Reinking was #1 after 5 rounds on Friday, Chris Stelzer finished #11 in
Juniors, Jeff and I had been #1-#2 at the enormous Chicago Alliances
pre-release. We're all Sealed-Deck veterans except for Kevin, who at least
qualified on DCI rating.
I heard rumors that my team made a couple of mistakes in the Finals,
but I don't know the truth either way. If any spectator saw what really
happened on the last two tables, in the Johns - Sternal and Chalice -
K.Stelzer matches, I'd like to hear about it.

>Later,
>Mario.

See you all in Dallas (hopefully)
Dave, Captain (more or less) of Team Oasis

Jeff Sternal

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <51s43u$m...@insosf1.netins.net>,
sun...@worf.netins.net (Sun God) wrote:

> It was a fun experience, if somewhat marred by all of the people who
>badmouthed our ability and claimed we simply had "great cards", only being
>able to name the Outpost when asked for specifics. I don't know why people
>feel the need to be such assholes. They're just insulting themselves by
>implying that a team of scrubs can go undefeated in a team competition
>while playing against a field of professional players. Come on, Mike
>Reinking was #1 after 5 rounds on Friday, Chris Stelzer finished #11 in
>Juniors, Jeff and I had been #1-#2 at the enormous Chicago Alliances
>pre-release. We're all Sealed-Deck veterans except for Kevin, who at least
>qualified on DCI rating.

> I heard rumors that my team made a couple of mistakes in the Finals,
>but I don't know the truth either way. If any spectator saw what really
>happened on the last two tables, in the Johns - Sternal and Chalice -
>K.Stelzer matches, I'd like to hear about it.

I hate to clutter up the thread, but I might as well point out my
mistake before anyone else does.

In my match against Johns, he was pounding me with Whaleboning
Gorilla Chieftans - I was at 6, he was at 11. I'd already used my
Incinerate, and had nothing left to deal with it in the deck. Anyway,
at the end of his turn, he taps all but one land to bring out some
heavy. I had a Hurricane in my hand (not enough mana to draw the game),
and I could use my Whalebone glider to hoist his Gorillas up. I figured
he had a Giant Growth in his hand, but since I was dead if I couldn't
kill the Chieftan, I decided to go through the motions anyway. So I
gave them flying, and Hurricaned for 3. Of course, I'd missed the
Fyndhorn Elf sitting around, and ended up looking damn stupid when he
regenerated them.

Jeff

alien

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Ah, what pretty words you use Jeff, and I bet you have a pretty mouth
too. Is that original enough for you. Actually you should pray that
you're fortunate enough to qualify this weekend, otherwise you'll be
the one that's just like a million other people out there...
UNQUALIFIED!! Then there will probably be a few more thousands separ-
ating us since I plan on grabbing some in Dallas. Oh, and by the way
the stories about me trashtalking all of my opponents is a crock,
unless my opponent is an asshole. If you qualify we'll find out if
you rank as someone worth trashing. I doubt you are, i'm sure you
were just bored and decided to have fun busting on me. Good luck this
weekend. Let me know if you qualify.

HAMMER

Elliot C Fertik

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

alien (al...@tiac.net) wrote:
:
: Ah, what pretty words you use Jeff, and I bet you have a pretty mouth

Apparently being a good magic player and polite and/or civilized seem to
be mutually exclusive. Hammer, if you ever played me and tried to trash
talk me, I'd tell you to shut up and leave it at that. I've met some of
the top players in Magic (Brian Weissman, Preseton Poultier) and they
were are all pleasant people. Do you think your win at Pro Tour II gives
you the right to be a jerk?

-Elliot

Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

It is true: Hammer doesn't trash talk much...well, at least he doesn't
while getting beat in the second round of a pro tourney by a kid half
his age. While our match was decided by him not getting the proper
lands in the two games I won, it turns out he was using 3 less lands
then I was. I told him that was the difference, but he decided to
insist that it was all luck. While he wasn't a class act, he surely
wasn't that bad to play against. Now that Tom Guevin character...there
is a true maniac ;-).
Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz :-)

Canadian

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

"Canticle" <cant...@aratar.mb.ca> wrote:

>: and when he was locked dowm with my conjurors producing 2/2 dudes

>: and a couple other creatures out the dick heard the 2 minute warning,

>Ah, 'the dick'. How...common. If you are going to use gutter insults, try

>something like 'Piss infected cum bubble', or perhaps something even more
>crass.

Better yet, get "Curse-O-Matic" from Three Weasels Software. They sent a free
CD to me for no apparent reason. It's great. You have 4 built-in voices and
millions of generatable insults, most including words you've NEVER heard of!

ie:

"You're a piss-infected, cum-chewing yalldrop."

The best thing is, the voice then defines the word for you! Most of the times,
you didn't want to know. I'm bringing this to WotC with me next time I go.

Me: "I play a Hill Giant."
Opponent: "What? HAHAHA! You suck! You fag!" <and other intelligent insults>
Me: "Oh yeah? Hold on."
<I run downstairs to the PC's and start Curse-o-Matic>
<20 minutes later>
Me: "Haha! You're a clap-toting, smegma-loving... hey, where'd everyone go?"
Beth Moursund: "We called time 5 minutes ago!"
Me: "Doh! What a dick."

--
Chris Foley (chr...@iceonline.com) DNRC POPE OF CAPITAL LETTERS, HPK

Canticle

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

: efe...@dolphin.upenn.edu (Elliot C Fertik) wrote in article
<51t39p$5...@netnews.upenn.edu>...
: alien (al...@tiac.net) wrote:

[Hammer's response deleted for the sake of brevity]

: Apparently being a good magic player and polite and/or civilized seem to

: be mutually exclusive. Hammer, if you ever played me and tried to trash

: talk me, I'd tell you to shut up and leave it at that. I've met some of

: the top players in Magic (Brian Weissman, Preseton Poultier) and they
: were are all pleasant people. Do you think your win at Pro Tour II
gives
: you the right to be a jerk?

Who knows? Personally, I've heard enough that I'd like to meet this
individual in person to decide for myself whether he'd qualify for Upper
Class Twit of the Year or not. Of course, he has overweening self
confidence as a result of his accomplishments, which is fine, I just don't
react very well to that sort of thing. IMHO, a persons actions speak far
better for an individual than their words.

Canticle

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

: alien (al...@tiac.net) wrote:

: : Ah, what pretty words you use Jeff, and I bet you have a pretty mouth

Most of the women I know seem to think so.

: : too. Is that original enough for you. Actually you should pray that

Getting close. Personally, I would have gone with something along the
lines of,'You've got a sharp tongue. Be careful, or you might cut off your
head with it'. I always loved the classics. Then again, it works much
better if people know the reference.

: : you're fortunate enough to qualify this weekend, otherwise you'll be

: : the one that's just like a million other people out there...
: : UNQUALIFIED!! Then there will probably be a few more thousands separ-

Eh, win or lose, I'm a lot more qualified than a whole whack of people
simply because I don't take myself too seriouslly. My priority is to have
fun, and as long as I do so, I win.

: : ating us since I plan on grabbing some in Dallas. Oh, and by the way

: : the stories about me trashtalking all of my opponents is a crock,

Could be. I wouldn't know. If you only insult people who deserve it, I
doubt they'll be forthright and honest about it. And if you do trash talk
all of your opponents, I doubt you'd be honest about it. So, all the
remains is personal experience. Here's hoping I qualify.

: : unless my opponent is an asshole. If you qualify we'll find out if

I have my own way of dealing with assholes, and it usually doesn't involve
sinking to their level (of course, I always make exceptions for the people
who understand nothing else but being an asshole). Some silly thing I have
about ethics, don't you know.

: : you rank as someone worth trashing. I doubt you are, i'm sure you

: : were just bored and decided to have fun busting on me. Good luck this
: : weekend. Let me know if you qualify.

Well, I could have been bored, but I'll never tell.

:

alien

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

> alien (al...@tiac.net) wrote:
> :
> : Ah, what pretty words you use Jeff, and I bet you have a pretty mouth
> : too. Is that original enough for you. Actually you should pray that
> : you're fortunate enough to qualify this weekend, otherwise you'll be
> : the one that's just like a million other people out there...
> : UNQUALIFIED!! Then there will probably be a few more thousands separ-
> : ating us since I plan on grabbing some in Dallas. Oh, and by the way
> : the stories about me trashtalking all of my opponents is a crock,
> : unless my opponent is an asshole. If you qualify we'll find out if
> : you rank as someone worth trashing. I doubt you are, i'm sure you
> : were just bored and decided to have fun busting on me. Good luck this
> : weekend. Let me know if you qualify.
>
> Apparently being a good magic player and polite and/or civilized seem to
> be mutually exclusive. Hammer, if you ever played me and tried to trash
> talk me, I'd tell you to shut up and leave it at that. I've met some of
> the top players in Magic (Brian Weissman, Preseton Poultier) and they
> were are all pleasant people. Do you think your win at Pro Tour II gives
> you the right to be a jerk?
>
> -Elliot

Ah Elliot. I've made the mistake again of posting anything on the net.
Everytime I do I have to defend myself from silly postings like yours
time and time again. You never met the guy I played from Atlanta
(who was a jerk, for the record). You never met me so you have no
idea at all how I play. If I have an opinion about something or
someone i'll state it whether you like me saying it or not. Your
good buddies Preston and Weissman must be bad judges of character
because they are friends of mine. They must like jerks I guess. Either
that or you don't know me from a hole in the wall. Or better yet, why
don't you just not read any posts from me on the net and you won't
have to worry about stressing yourself out.
By the way, Mahoney, you're no class act yourself you little goon.
You also told me more than half your deck was mana. How many games
did you end up losing because all you could draw was land?

HAMMER

Poker Face

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Hmmm..It's not like that every time I play against an OMS in sanctioned
play, I can cut them straight to a mulligan now, can I?

Poker Face

Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc: 22-Sep-96 Re:
Atlanta Team Tourny Report by al...@tiac.net
> By the way, Mahoney, you're no class act yourself you little goon.
> You also told me more than half your deck was mana. How many games
> did you end up losing because all you could draw was land?
>
> HAMMER

Easy there, big guy. Lets be getting along now. I didn't lose a damn
game to having too many lands...lost games to getting torched and
hammered. My deck had 20 lands, but 2 of them were the sac lands. I
had to play 4 colors in order to get a sufficient mix of creatures and
to use my two red cards, incinerate and phyrexian purge, for SOME
creature removal. I figured that using 3 cards to pull land out of my
deck made up for the fact that I was using so many.
Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz :-)
P.S. You're right...17 land should have been enough for 40 cards
(assuming you've got them chosen right)

Elliot C Fertik

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

alien (al...@tiac.net) wrote:

: By the way, Mahoney, you're no class act yourself you little goon.

: You also told me more than half your deck was mana. How many games
: did you end up losing because all you could draw was land?

Hammer, you're right that I don't know you from a hole in the wall,
because I've never met you. For all I know, you may be as sweet as sugar
in person. However, your attack on Jeff was rude and obnoxious, and
you're suprised that I called you on it? (BTW, that's what I was
reacting to, not the person you played in Atlanta). As for my "buddies"
Poultier and Weissman, I don't know them personally at all (I've only met
each of them once), but my point was that they were relatively friendly
IN PERSON, and they may think the same of you if they ever met you. ut I
only know you from your postings on the net, and what I saw wasn't
pretty. If you don't post often on the net, I can't say that that's a
great tragedy.

-Elliot Fertik

alien

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Whatever.

HAMMER

Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Wow...this is going to be the most indented string ever! Have these
guys ever heard of E-MAIL?
Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz ;-)

Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc: 26-Sep-96 Re: