[LSJ] earth feeder question

Reyda !

May 7, 2009, 7:59:11 PM5/7/09
Hi !
i want to know how earth feeder interacts with alternative hunt
actions.

if i make Kyoko a Laibon, can i play earth feeder (card text : "hunt.
If the hunt is successful, put this card on the acting laibon) to
declare a hunt on another minion ?
(my guess : no)

if i have a week of nightmare in play and my Tsunda is empty, can i
play earth feeder to declare a "hunt" on a younger ravnos, as provided
by week of nightmare's card text ?
(my guess : yes)

if i have a Restricted vitae in play and an empty Laibon, can i play
earth feeder and declare a hunt on a younger vampire controlled by
another methuselah ?
(my guess : yes)

thanks for the answer :)

LSJ

May 7, 2009, 8:08:11 PM5/7/09
Reyda ! wrote:
> Hi !
> i want to know how earth feeder interacts with alternative hunt
> actions.

> if i make Kyoko a Laibon, can i play earth feeder (card text : "hunt.
> If the hunt is successful, put this card on the acting laibon) to
> declare a hunt on another minion ?
> (my guess : no)

Correct. Choose one action or the other.

> if i have a week of nightmare in play and my Tsunda is empty, can i
> play earth feeder to declare a "hunt" on a younger ravnos, as provided
> by week of nightmare's card text ?
> (my guess : yes)

No. Choose one action or the other.

> if i have a Restricted vitae in play and an empty Laibon, can i play
> earth feeder and declare a hunt on a younger vampire controlled by
> another methuselah ?
> (my guess : yes)

No. Choose one action or the other.

Jozxyqk

May 7, 2009, 8:34:46 PM5/7/09
Reyda ! <Rey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
> i want to know how earth feeder interacts with alternative hunt
> actions.

I believe Earth Feeder says "Hunt." to save textbox space, but would be more
accurate to say "+1 stealth hunt action. This vampire gains 1 blood from the
blood bank...."

LSJ

May 7, 2009, 8:53:54 PM5/7/09

Um, yeah. Just like Computer Hacking would be more accurately worded: "0 stealth
bleed action. This minion burns 1 pool plus an additional pool from the target
Methuselah, which is your prey by default.

Actually, both are completely accurate using terminology given in the rulebook
(hunt and bleed, respectively).

Chris Berger

May 7, 2009, 11:11:44 PM5/7/09

But there are hunt actions that do not just gain 1 blood from the
blood bank. In fact, there are effects that replace a vampire's
standard hunt action with a different effect. Like Kyoko, whose
ability denies her the option to take a default hunt action. So when
you have a card that says "+2 stealth: Hunt" used by a vampire that
cannot use the default hunt action, it makes sense to wonder what they
do by "hunting" - the default action, which they are normally denied,
or the "Hunt" effect that would normally be available to them. In the
case where a vampire has a choice of what to do with a cardless hunt
action, it makes sense to wonder if they can choose which effect to
apply. To that effect, Earth-Feeder would be clearer if it said "+2
stealth hunt action - gain 1 blood from the blood bank...".

Similarly, if, before Computer Hacking had been printed, there was a
vampire that said "instead of the normal bleed action, this vampire
may bleed a minion to burn a blood from that minion", then there might
have been confusion over how that vampire would interract with a card
that said "Bleed at +1 stealth". Obviously, the wording I state
doesn't make much sense, because bleeds remove pool from your prey -
how would you "bleed a minion", which is why Computer Hacking's
wording isn't ambiguous. But since there are hunt actions that don't
gain a blood from the blood bank, I don't think it's crazy to suggest
that another non-default hunt action might have stated what it does to
avoid confusion...

Jozxyqk

May 8, 2009, 5:49:58 AM5/8/09
Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > Um, yeah. Just like Computer Hacking would be more accurately worded: "0 stealth
> > bleed action. This minion burns 1 pool plus an additional pool from the target
> > Methuselah, which is your prey by default.
> >
> > Actually, both are completely accurate using terminology given in the rulebook
> > (hunt and bleed, respectively).

> But there are hunt actions that do not just gain 1 blood from the

> blood bank....

Along with what Chris said, it's also a templating issue.
Earth-Feeder is the only hunt action card that is worded this way.

Some examples:
Loki's Gift says "+1 stealth hunt action. Gain 1 blood and this card."
Soul Feasting says "+1 stealth hunt action. Gain 1 blood, or..."

Since E-F is specifically differently worded, it definitely contributes
to the ambuguity of interpretation.
You can't say that Soul Feasting's text was chosen to save textbox space...

LSJ

May 8, 2009, 6:48:42 AM5/8/09
Chris Berger wrote:
> On May 7, 7:53 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Jozxyqk wrote:
>>> I believe Earth Feeder says "Hunt." to save textbox space, but would be more
>>> accurate to say "+1 stealth hunt action. This vampire gains 1 blood from the
>>> blood bank...."
>> Um, yeah. Just like Computer Hacking would be more accurately worded: "0 stealth
>> bleed action. This minion burns 1 pool plus an additional pool from the target
>> Methuselah, which is your prey by default.
>>
>> Actually, both are completely accurate using terminology given in the rulebook
>> (hunt and bleed, respectively).
>
> But there are hunt actions that do not just gain 1 blood from the
> blood bank.

Just as there are bleed actions that do not just burn 1 pool from the target.

> In fact, there are effects that replace a vampire's
> standard hunt action with a different effect.

No. There are effects which prohibit a vampire from hunting as normal. Many of
those effects also provide additional (not-as-normal)hunt actions.

> Like Kyoko, whose
> ability denies her the option to take a default hunt action.

Exactly. The standard hunt action is not replaced, but denied.

> So when
> you have a card that says "+2 stealth: Hunt" used by a vampire that
> cannot use the default hunt action, it makes sense to wonder what they
> do by "hunting" - the default action, which they are normally denied,
> or the "Hunt" effect that would normally be available to them.

Only if one assumes that hunting with Earth Feeder is hunting as normal.

Hunting "as normal" is a cardless action, is typically at +1 stealth, and does
not place Earth-Feeder on the hunter. So it seems hunting with Earth-Feeder is
not hunting as normal.

And, indeed, that is the official view. A vampire could hunt, get blocked, play
Change of Target (becoming unable to perform the "same action", in this case the
normal hunt, and the play Earth-Feeder to hunt, for example).

See also
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/dcf11cf09bc7048e

Similarly, Flurry of Action is not the normal bleed action. Bleeding with Flurry
of Action is not bleeding as normal, and it could be done if some effect said
the vampire "cannot bleed as normal".

> In the
> case where a vampire has a choice of what to do with a cardless hunt
> action, it makes sense to wonder if they can choose which effect to
> apply. To that effect, Earth-Feeder would be clearer if it said "+2
> stealth hunt action - gain 1 blood from the blood bank...".

Perhaps, but it actually works the same as other established precidents. Jeremy
Wix with a Camera Phone cannot combine Flurry of Action with either his special
bleed action or the Camera Phone's action, even though Flurry says "Bleed". The
same established principle applies here, by direct parallel.

> Similarly, if, before Computer Hacking had been printed, there was a
> vampire that said "instead of the normal bleed action, this vampire
> may bleed a minion to burn a blood from that minion", then there might
> have been confusion over how that vampire would interract with a card
> that said "Bleed at +1 stealth". Obviously, the wording I state
> doesn't make much sense, because bleeds remove pool from your prey -
> how would you "bleed a minion", which is why Computer Hacking's
> wording isn't ambiguous. But since there are hunt actions that don't
> gain a blood from the blood bank, I don't think it's crazy to suggest
> that another non-default hunt action might have stated what it does to
> avoid confusion...

No more so than the bleed actions, which have not caused confusion.

LSJ

May 8, 2009, 6:50:57 AM5/8/09
Jozxyqk wrote:
> Chris Berger <ark...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>> Um, yeah. Just like Computer Hacking would be more accurately worded: "0 stealth
>>> bleed action. This minion burns 1 pool plus an additional pool from the target
>>> Methuselah, which is your prey by default.
>>>
>>> Actually, both are completely accurate using terminology given in the rulebook
>>> (hunt and bleed, respectively).
>
>> But there are hunt actions that do not just gain 1 blood from the
>> blood bank....
>
> Along with what Chris said, it's also a templating issue.
> Earth-Feeder is the only hunt action card that is worded this way.

Perhaps, but it's not the only action card worded that way.
Cat Burglary
Concordance
Fleetness
Flurry of Action
Forgery
and so on

Jozxyqk

May 8, 2009, 8:23:08 AM5/8/09
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > Along with what Chris said, it's also a templating issue.
> > Earth-Feeder is the only hunt action card that is worded this way.

> Perhaps, but it's not the only action card worded that way.
> Cat Burglary
> Concordance
> Fleetness
> Flurry of Action
> Forgery
> and so on

When a card says "Bleed.", it is a more straightforward assumption
than when a card says "Hunt."

There's only one type of bleeding. The only thing that changes is
the amount and the card you use to take the action. The only ways
to be banned from taking the "default bleed action" are to be banned
from taking _all_ bleed actions, or for one of your other minions
to have played Red Herring after being blocked on a cardless bleed.
If a card says "Bleed.", it is obvious that it means "Bleed your prey
for your base bleed amount."

There are many effects in the game that allow (or force) alternative
hunt actions. Their results vary. This leads to a more gooey
interpretation of what the single word "Hunt." means in card text.

This can lead to confusion, even if you don't see how it can.

And since this is a question about a single, off-template, questionable-use
card, I'm willing to stop talking about it with your clarification.
But, for the future (Sorry Ben! I'm not trying to get this card reprinted!),
I think the easiest thing to do would just be to clarify the text to say "+2
stealth hunt action. {Gain 1 blood.}...." since the rest is just semantics.

LSJ

May 8, 2009, 9:07:19 AM5/8/09
Jozxyqk wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>>> Along with what Chris said, it's also a templating issue.
>>> Earth-Feeder is the only hunt action card that is worded this way.
>
>> Perhaps, but it's not the only action card worded that way.
>> Cat Burglary
>> Concordance
>> Fleetness
>> Flurry of Action
>> Forgery
>> and so on
>
> When a card says "Bleed.", it is a more straightforward assumption
> than when a card says "Hunt."

Not.

The two are parallel in the rules. Neither has any claim to higher
straightfowardness.

Perhaps you mean something along the lines of "I'm more accustomed to cards that
offer bleed actions other than the default cardless bleed action".

> There's only one type of bleeding. The only thing that changes is
> the amount and the card you use to take the action.

And the stealth and the target and the amount of pool you gain from the action
and who can block the action and which other minions get tapped and so on.

> The only ways
> to be banned from taking the "default bleed action" are to be banned
> from taking _all_ bleed actions,

No. It is quite easy to imagine an effect of "This minion cannot bleed as
normal." with or without being coupled with a "This minion may bleed by stealing
1 blood from a vampire as a (D) action." The latter bit seems unlikely, but
certainly conceptually available, and it is possible that some other variation
would be practical enough to actually see print, but that's beside the point.

> or for one of your other minions
> to have played Red Herring after being blocked on a cardless bleed.

Um. Yeah. That's the point. The counter to the argument that "Hunt" on an action
card's text means the normal cardless action as opposed to "this vampire gains 1

blood from the blood bank".

> If a card says "Bleed.", it is obvious that it means "Bleed your prey

> for your base bleed amount."

Well, with any modifications (adjustments to stealth or the bleed amount,
ignoring excess bleed amounts, restricting blockers, drawing cards, gaining
blood or pool, untapping, or free transfers) given in the rest of the text, but
right. Not "take the cardless action called bleed to bleed as normal".

> There are many effects in the game that allow (or force) alternative
> hunt actions. Their results vary. This leads to a more gooey
> interpretation of what the single word "Hunt." means in card text.

No. No more than the existence of the many effects in the game that allow (or
force) alternative bleed actions with varying results leads to a gooier
interpretation of what the single word "Bleed" means in card text.

> This can lead to confusion, even if you don't see how it can.

How is my explaining what the official reading is and the completeness of the
parallel to something players find less confusing an assertion that I don't see
how someone may be confused by something?

The two aren't mutually exclusive, even if you don't see how they aren't.

> And since this is a question about a single, off-template, questionable-use
> card, I'm willing to stop talking about it with your clarification.

If you say so. It isn't off-template.

> But, for the future (Sorry Ben! I'm not trying to get this card reprinted!),
> I think the easiest thing to do would just be to clarify the text to say "+2
> stealth hunt action. {Gain 1 blood.}...." since the rest is just semantics.

See also the "simplest" thing to do for cards that say "Bleed.".