LSJ: Burn Option on Unleash Hell's Fury

YY

Feb 2, 2010, 8:06:57 PM2/2/10
Does the Unique keyword suffice as a requirement to use the Burn
Option?

eg. Player A controls one copy of Unleash Hell's Fury and draws into
another. Can A use the Burn Option on Unleash Hell's Fury on the next
available Untap phase?

Thanks in advace.

-YY

<non-official text>
Unleash Hell's Fury
+1 stealth action.
Requires an infernal vampire. Unique. Costs 2 pool. burn option.
dai: Put this card in play. This card may attempt to block a D action
against you and is considered a 9-capacity infernal vampire with +2
intercept during that attempt. f succesful, the action minion takes 1
unpreventable aggravated damage and this card is burned.
DAI: as above and untap this vampire.
</non-official text>

Frederick Scott

Feb 2, 2010, 8:26:19 PM2/2/10
"YY" <the1an...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message

> Does the Unique keyword suffice as a requirement to use the Burn
> Option?

OK, given that there's _never_ "a requirement to use the burn option",
I'm having a lot of trouble making head or tail of this question. But
I'll assume that it means the closest thing I can think of to a coherent
question along these lines: "Does the Unique keyword suffice to allow an
in-play non-minion card to count as a minion card for purposes of
determining whether a burn option can be used or not?"

> eg. Player A controls one copy of Unleash Hell's Fury and draws into
> another. Can A use the Burn Option on Unleash Hell's Fury on the next
> available Untap phase?

I'm pretty sure the answer is that having an Unleash Hell's Fury in
play does not prevent you from burning another one from your hand.
Justification: the burn option rule doesn't care about cards in play
which are not minions, and Unleash Hell's Fury only counts as a minion
during an attempt to block. During untap phases, it's only an innocent-
looking non-minion permanent.

> <non-official text>
> Unleash Hell's Fury
> +1 stealth action.
> Requires an infernal vampire. Unique. Costs 2 pool. burn option.
> dai: Put this card in play. This card may attempt to block a D action
> against you and is considered a 9-capacity infernal vampire with +2
> intercept during that attempt. f succesful, the action minion takes 1
> unpreventable aggravated damage and this card is burned.
> DAI: as above and untap this vampire.
> </non-official text>

Fred

Gerentt

Feb 2, 2010, 8:27:37 PM2/2/10
IANLSJ, but i don't think so. As per the VTES rulebook, the burn
option can only be exercised if the player doesn't control a minion
that meets the requirements.

From the Rulebook Section 1.6.1:

Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon. This
icon means that a Methuselah who doesn’t control a minion that meets
the requirements may discard the card during any Methuselah’s untap
phase. Each Methuselah is limited to one such discard each untap
phase.

LSJ

Feb 2, 2010, 9:46:08 PM2/2/10
On Feb 2, 8:26 pm, "Frederick Scott" <nos...@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
> "YY" <the1andonl...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message

> > Does the Unique keyword suffice as a requirement to use the Burn
> > Option?
>
> OK, given that there's _never_ "a requirement to use the burn option",
> I'm having a lot of trouble making head or tail of this question.

Burn options can be used when a minion meeting the requirement is not
around.
So the question is likely split a different way than you're parsing
it:

For purposes of invoking the burn option, does the unique keyword
serve as a requirement?

> > eg. Player A controls one copy of Unleash Hell's Fury and draws into
> > another. Can A use the Burn Option on Unleash Hell's Fury on the next
> > available Untap phase?
>
> I'm pretty sure the answer is that having an Unleash Hell's Fury in
> play does not prevent you from burning another one from your hand.

Correct.

And as to the question "does having one in play suffice on its own to
permit you to use the burn option of one in your hand?", the answer
is, as Gerennt surmises: no.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/2b0f5d804257f7fb