Dia de los Muertos

Mathieu Dewavrin

Oct 8, 2003, 9:08:34 AM10/8/03
Hello all

Lotus Noir (a french monthly about card games) has spoiled a card from Black
hands.

I don't know if it has already been told on this forum but here it is.

Dia de los Muertos
1 Pool
The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a game.

We also learnt that there will be 7 new advanced vampires in the set.

Enjoy !

Mathieu DEWAVRIN
Price of Nantes - Bretagne

John P

Oct 8, 2003, 10:12:01 AM10/8/03

"Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote in message

> Dia de los Muertos
> 1 Pool
> The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
> automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a game.
>
> We also learnt that there will be 7 new advanced vampires in the set.

Is Dia de los Muertos a Master Card?

7 new advanced vampires... hmmm

-JTP

Halcyan 2

Oct 8, 2003, 11:26:28 AM10/8/03
>Dia de los Muertos
>1 Pool
>The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
>automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a game.

Interestingly. While I am excited by this card and think it would be a great
addition to my !Tremere vote decks, I am a little concerned that it will
potentially make Brinkmanship decks that much more efficient. Now they can
ignore the vote angle all together (or just hope Gisela is enough) by relying
on Dia + Brinkmanship. Hopefully the once per game clause will be enough to
keep things in check.

Halcyan 2

Mathieu Dewavrin

Oct 8, 2003, 2:26:20 PM10/8/03
John P wrote:
> Is Dia de los Muertos a Master Card?

Yes it is

Mathieu

John Flournoy

Oct 8, 2003, 2:29:02 PM10/8/03
"Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote in message news:<3f840c0f$0$24668$7a62...@news.club-internet.fr>...

Hoo boy. If this is accurate, Brinksmanship for
Harbingers/Slaughterhouse or Nos Anti/Feline Saboteur decks just got a
big ol' boost. I can see people including this card in their decks,
even without a vote, just to play it and prevent somebody else from
using it..

-John Flournoy

Pepijn

Oct 8, 2003, 3:14:44 PM10/8/03

Tobad it can still be blocked and DTed none the less...

LSJ

Oct 8, 2003, 3:26:40 PM10/8/03

You cannot use Delaying Tactics on a referendum that is automatically passing.
Perhaps you meant DI'ed?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Pepijn

Oct 8, 2003, 3:43:15 PM10/8/03
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:26:40 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

>> Tobad it can still be blocked and DTed none the less...
>
>You cannot use Delaying Tactics on a referendum that is automatically passing.
>Perhaps you meant DI'ed?

*duh*.. damn, it's not even monday and I keep on posting bogus
today... should stop doing that

Smiling Tom

Oct 8, 2003, 3:46:13 PM10/8/03

"Pepijn" <ka...@xs4all.nl> escribió en el mensaje

Blocked? I thought that Egotha had NEC obf for something. Or just go killer
and play them with Daring The Dawn.

And as LSJ has just said, you can not play Delaying tactics on a referendum
that passes automatically.

Tom, scared

Jeff Kuta

Oct 8, 2003, 4:23:25 PM10/8/03
"Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote in message news:<3f840c0f$0$24668$7a62...@news.club-internet.fr>...
> We also learnt that there will be 7 new advanced vampires in the set.

Speaking of which, isn't it about time to start seeing more
weekly/daily previews on the WW site? ;)

Wes

Oct 9, 2003, 7:13:36 AM10/9/03

"Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote

> Dia de los Muertos
> 1 Pool
> The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
> automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a
game.

Starting Pool: 29 (-1 xfer)

UNTAP:
Untap Angela Decker

MASTER:
Play Dia de los Muertos (Pool 28)

MINION
Angela Decker calls Justicar Retribution. Arika and Leandro and any
other IC members at the table *burn*. Day of the Dead indeed!

I hesitate to use the "B" word... but that's a pretty damn powerful
effect for 2 pool, no? I look forward to abusing it!

Cheers,
WES

Orpheus

Oct 9, 2003, 8:05:53 AM10/9/03

"Wes" <gh...@NYETSPAMmnsi.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
bm3fs...@enews2.newsguy.com...

> "Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote
> >
> > Dia de los Muertos
> > 1 Pool
> > The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
> > automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a
> game.
>
> Starting Pool: 29 (-1 xfer)
>
> UNTAP:
> Untap Angela Decker
>
> MASTER:
> Play Dia de los Muertos (Pool 28)
>
> MINION
> Angela Decker calls Justicar Retribution. Arika and Leandro and any
> other IC members at the table *burn*. Day of the Dead indeed!

Well, I admire the players who got out their IC in the first turn !! ;-)

But I get your meaning... We'll see, I guess.

POWER TO THE SABBAT !!

(errr, wasn't that supposed to be "to the Independents" ? Well, as long as
it ain't the Camarilla...)

Orpheus

Damnans

Oct 9, 2003, 8:14:12 AM10/9/03

Wes wrote:

> "Mathieu Dewavrin" <math...@ifrance.com> wrote
> >
> > Dia de los Muertos
> > 1 Pool
> > The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
> > automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a
> game.
>
> Starting Pool: 29 (-1 xfer)
>
> UNTAP:
> Untap Angela Decker
>
> MASTER:
> Play Dia de los Muertos (Pool 28)
>
> MINION
> Angela Decker calls Justicar Retribution. Arika and Leandro and any
> other IC members at the table *burn*. Day of the Dead indeed!

Do you think Angela is unblockable? >:-)

Besides, Angela Decker is Sabbat and CANNOT call Justicar Retribution,
which requires a Camarilla vampire.

Greetings,
Damnans

The Lasombra

Oct 9, 2003, 8:11:57 AM10/9/03
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 07:13:36 -0400, "Wes" <gh...@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
wrote:

>> Dia de los Muertos
>> 1 Pool
>> The first referendum a Sabbat vampire you control calls on this turn
>> automatically passes. Only one Dia de los muertos can be played in a
>game.

>Starting Pool: 29 (-1 xfer)

>UNTAP:
>Untap Angela Decker

>MASTER:
>Play Dia de los Muertos (Pool 28)

>MINION
>Angela Decker calls Justicar Retribution. Arika and Leandro and any
>other IC members at the table *burn*. Day of the Dead indeed!

Sabbat vampires cannot call Justicar Retribution.

Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.

Try harder.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Wes

Oct 9, 2003, 8:26:19 AM10/9/03

"Damnans" <damna...@ono.com> wrote

> Do you think Angela is unblockable? >:-)

Make it Basil with a Forgotten Labyrinth instead :)

Or use a Sabbat weenie with Fortitude and a Daring the Dawn.

It's still slightly fractured (ie close to being broken).

> Besides, Angela Decker is Sabbat and CANNOT call Justicar Retribution,
> which requires a Camarilla vampire.

It does? Not according to Monger

http://monger.vekn.org/showcard.html?ID=411

Cheers,
WES

LSJ

Oct 9, 2003, 8:52:28 AM10/9/03
Wes wrote:
> "Damnans" <damna...@ono.com> wrote

>>Besides, Angela Decker is Sabbat and CANNOT call Justicar Retribution,
>>which requires a Camarilla vampire.
>
> It does? Not according to Monger
>
> http://monger.vekn.org/showcard.html?ID=411

Try the official card list.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/Cardlist_J.html#Justicar_Retribution

Wes

Oct 9, 2003, 9:09:30 AM10/9/03

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
>
> Try harder.

It seems Monger is also incorrect.

I will keep trying though. Arika must burn!

Cheers,
WES

David Cherryholmes

Oct 9, 2003, 10:22:43 AM10/9/03

"The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sabbat vampires cannot call Justicar Retribution.

Insert Bitchy Rant about Camarilla vs. Everybody Else #147 [here].

I knew that already...... but man, does seeing it make me bitch.

Halcyan 2

Oct 9, 2003, 12:10:53 PM10/9/03
>> Sabbat vampires cannot call Justicar Retribution.
>
>Insert Bitchy Rant about Camarilla vs. Everybody Else #147 [here].
>
>I knew that already...... but man, does seeing it make me bitch.

There is another potential problem I see with Dia de los Muertos.

I think most of us agree that a lot of the *really* nasty votes fortunately
can't be combined with Dia since they require Camarilla vampires (PTO, Parity
Shift, Kindred Restructure, Justicar Retribution, Anathema, Archon, etc.). If
Dia worked on those votes, I'd be really *really* worry.

While some of us might have initially celebrated the existence of Dia de los
Muertos, also bear in mind that the existence of the card might preclude Sabbat
vote cards of a power level equivalent to that of the Camarilla. I'm pretty
sure the Sabbat definitely *won't* be getting their own version of Justicar
Retribution or PTO, especially since Dia will be floating around.

Just a thought.

Halcyan 2

Jon Stahler

Oct 9, 2003, 12:19:28 PM10/9/03

"Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Agreed. There is one nice thing about it, though. You can use Blood Siege
to strip that jerky prince on the table of his title and give yourself an
archbishop for the cost of a pool now.

Jon
-wonders how many sabbat-only votes there are right now that are actually
worthwhile to play with...

Timlagor

Oct 9, 2003, 1:05:40 PM10/9/03
Wes expounded:

> "Damnans" <damna...@ono.com> wrote
> >
> > Do you think Angela is unblockable? >:-)
>
> Make it Basil with a Forgotten Labyrinth instead :)
>
> Or use a Sabbat weenie with Fortitude and a Daring the Dawn.
>
> It's still slightly fractured (ie close to being broken).

It's very hard for a once-a-game card to be broken. I don't think this
is really that powerful.

Once a game (how many do you want in your deck? what if someone else
gets it out first?)
Abbat only
You have to call the vote successfully
Even the powerful Cam votes don't win the game on their own (unless you
are very lucky in your opponents).
It has to be your next vote (so you need the right vote in hand)

If it is that powerful we can all put one in our Cam decks.

Jeff Kuta

Oct 9, 2003, 1:46:37 PM10/9/03
"David Cherryholmes" <david.che...@duke.edu> wrote in message news:<bm3qvl$iagr0$1...@ID-209231.news.uni-berlin.de>...

This is the Black Hand expansion of course. Perhaps Sabbat vampires
will get some kick-ass votes to call which make DdlM even more
powerful. :)

Jon Stahler

Oct 9, 2003, 2:15:20 PM10/9/03

"Timlagor" <Timlagor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

I'm assuming you'd use it as such to just kill the card? Sounds much like
Giant's Blood was used in my playgroup way back when the game first came
out.

I'll assume since its already passing automatically that you can't cryptic
rider the vote as the vote never comes to referendum. Correct me if I'm
wrong. Now THAT would be powerful...

Jon

David Cherryholmes

Oct 9, 2003, 2:05:56 PM10/9/03
On 9 Oct 2003, Jeff Kuta wrote:

> This is the Black Hand expansion of course. Perhaps Sabbat vampires
> will get some kick-ass votes to call which make DdlM even more
> powerful. :)

Possible, but I doubt it. I doubt anything like PTO would get produced by
the current design team. And even if it did, I'd still be personally
ass-out, since I play Independents more than any other sect.

David Cherryholmes
Duke Radiology
P.E.T. Facility
(919) 684-7714
david.che...@duke.edu

LSJ

Oct 9, 2003, 2:33:15 PM10/9/03
Jon Stahler wrote:
> I'll assume since its already passing automatically that you can't cryptic
> rider the vote as the vote never comes to referendum. Correct me if I'm
> wrong. Now THAT would be powerful...

Cryptic Rider can be played on referendums that pass, even if they pass
automatically. The classic example has been playing on a referendum
that was passed by a previously-played Cryptic Rider.

Timlagor

Oct 9, 2003, 2:36:58 PM10/9/03
Jon Stahler expounded:

> > If it is that powerful we can all put one in our Cam decks.
>
> I'm assuming you'd use it as such to just kill the card? Sounds much like
> Giant's Blood was used in my playgroup way back when the game first came
> out.

Yep. How did it work with Giant's Blood?

> I'll assume since its already passing automatically that you can't cryptic
> rider the vote as the vote never comes to referendum. Correct me if I'm
> wrong. Now THAT would be powerful...

Sure you can. It would be after a successful referendum. Still not that
powerful imo (another card you need to have in hand and passing votes
isn't that hard if you dedicate your deck to it)

Orpheus

Oct 9, 2003, 2:47:26 PM10/9/03
> > Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
> >
> > Try harder.
>
> It seems Monger is also incorrect.

Yes, and so were we in my playgroup until recently !! As it wasn't written
on the Jyahd cards, and I'm not sure about the VTES...

You see, if the Sabbat could call this vote, he would maybe stand a chance
against the IC power... :-(

I really hope Black Hand will give us a few good ones.

Orpheus, passing to the Sabbat ?

Orpheus

Oct 9, 2003, 2:50:10 PM10/9/03
> > This is the Black Hand expansion of course. Perhaps Sabbat vampires
> > will get some kick-ass votes to call which make DdlM even more
> > powerful. :)
>
> Possible, but I doubt it. I doubt anything like PTO would get produced by
> the current design team. And even if it did, I'd still be personally
> ass-out, since I play Independents more than any other sect.

Same here, and if Anarchs was the best we could hope to get for Indy voting,
then the Giovanni will still focus on bleeding, I'm afraid... :-(

Orpheus

LSJ

Oct 9, 2003, 2:55:49 PM10/9/03
Orpheus wrote:
>>>Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
>>>
>>>Try harder.
>>
>>It seems Monger is also incorrect.
>

> Yes, and so were we in my playgroup until recently !! As it wasn't written
> on the Jyahd cards, and I'm not sure about the VTES...

It wasn't written on any printing made when all vampires were Camarilla.

the_capuchin

Oct 9, 2003, 3:38:11 PM10/9/03
> > Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
> >
> > Try harder.
>
> It seems Monger is also incorrect.

if it was, it isn't anymore:
http://monger.vekn.org/showcard.html?ID=411

Worth 1 Vote. Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
Successful referendum burns all vampires with a current bleed of 3 or more.

cheers
the_capuchin

Jon Stahler

Oct 9, 2003, 5:18:02 PM10/9/03

> Jon Stahler expounded:
> > > If it is that powerful we can all put one in our Cam decks.
> >
> > I'm assuming you'd use it as such to just kill the card? Sounds much
like
> > Giant's Blood was used in my playgroup way back when the game first came
> > out.
>
> Yep. How did it work with Giant's Blood?

We used to all stack Giants blood and play it as soon as we got it so no one
else could benefit from it. Nothing big...but its how I imagine a Cam deck
would use Dia de los Muertos...

> > I'll assume since its already passing automatically that you can't
cryptic
> > rider the vote as the vote never comes to referendum. Correct me if I'm
> > wrong. Now THAT would be powerful...
>
> Sure you can. It would be after a successful referendum. Still not that
> powerful imo (another card you need to have in hand and passing votes
> isn't that hard if you dedicate your deck to it)

Hmm...thought there was something about modifiers being played on votes that
are automatically passing. Must be particular tot he presence mods...

LSJ

Oct 9, 2003, 5:23:42 PM10/9/03
Jon Stahler wrote:
> Hmm...thought there was something about modifiers being played on votes that
> are automatically passing. Must be particular tot he presence mods...

It is "particular" to the effects played "during a referendum".
The ones played after are not affected.

salem

Oct 9, 2003, 11:39:59 PM10/9/03
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:23:42 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>Jon Stahler wrote:
>> Hmm...thought there was something about modifiers being played on votes that
>> are automatically passing. Must be particular tot he presence mods...
>
>It is "particular" to the effects played "during a referendum".
>The ones played after are not affected.

for example, you can't Delaying Tactics an auto-pass vote, because
it's _during_ the referendum, which there is no during bit with
auto-pass.
You CAN Voter Cap an auto-pass vote, but for 0 blood/pool, because
it's after a successful referendum.

Although..........

an auto-pass vote, presumably, still must set terms.
and, according to 6.3.2:

'The referendum consists of three steps: setting the terms, polling
(casting votes) and resolving the referendum.
1. Choose the terms, if any, of the referendum. Cards that
are used “during a political action” but “before votes are
cast” are used at this time.'

so, with an auto-pass vote, you still move into the 'referendum' part,
however briefly (just long enough to set terms, presumably).

in the step 1 above, are the only 'during a referendum' cards that you
are allowed to play those that specify 'before votes are cast', or can
you play any 'during a referendum/PA', as appropriate? like gaining
votes and DT, etc...even if it's an auto-pass vote? :/

I seem to recall something about a RT review of this early step in the
referendum, but can't recall the exact nature of the review....

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

Ethan Burrow

Oct 10, 2003, 3:34:56 AM10/10/03
"Wes" <gh...@NYETSPAMmnsi.net> wrote in message news:<bm3mm...@enews1.newsguy.com>...

> "The Lasombra" <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote
> >
> > Pertinent card text: Called by any Camarilla vampire at +1 stealth.
> >
> > Try harder.
>
> It seems Monger is also incorrect.

Oooops, fixed.

It seems I also forgot to add Advanced Lambach and Legion, so they're
both added as well.

------------------------------
Ethan Burrow - Texas Patriarch
http://texas.vekn.org/
http://monger.vekn.org/

Reyda

Oct 14, 2003, 4:30:20 PM10/14/03

"Jon Stahler" <sta...@uiuc.edu> wrote

> Agreed. There is one nice thing about it, though. You can use Blood
Siege
> to strip that jerky prince on the table of his title and give yourself an
> archbishop for the cost of a pool now.

The 6 or 7 times i played my sabbat power deck with 5 Blood sieges in it,
there was only independant and sabbats all around : i didn't know what
happened ? maybe the "camarilla-in-the-drawer-month" or something ??!
The only time i saw camarilla vamps, they were justicars and Inner circles,
so i just dismantled the deck (-_-;)

> Jon
> -wonders how many sabbat-only votes there are right now that are actually
> worthwhile to play with...

you mean tithings ? i don't think so (鬫o)

the_capuchin

Oct 15, 2003, 7:50:28 AM10/15/03
> I think most of us agree that a lot of the *really* nasty votes fortunately
> can't be combined with Dia since they require Camarilla vampires (PTO, Parity
> Shift, Kindred Restructure, Justicar Retribution, Anathema, Archon, etc.). If
> Dia worked on those votes, I'd be really *really* worry.

Don't know why. Camarilla clans have access to better cards to
guarantee that the vote will pass, like Malkavian Rider Clause,
Charming Lobby etc., and they don't cost a pool.

I know you would think "but Charming Lobby is an action that could be
blocked blah blah" - indeed, but if your prey can block a charming
lobby, he probably will be able to block the nasty votes above too.

I think Dia de Los Muertos is a very interesting card. First, because
it does boost a little Sabbat voting but has a major drawback (only
one per game). Second, for thematically reasons - it's a master card,
and since everybody knows that Sabbat minions usually can't fight with
the Camarilla in the political/mortal affairs arena, a Methuselah
direct intervention (no pun intended) is just fitting.