Social Ladder

2 vues

Metropolis

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 11:27:2818/11/2003
Does anyone know what this card does? Dammans compared it to Information
Highway & Zillah's Valley,

thanks
M.

pallando

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 11:55:1518/11/2003
Social Ladder

Master
Put this card on a ready vampire you control. During your next influence
phase, remove this vampire from the game and move all the blood counters
from that vampire to an older vampire in your uncontrolled region.

regards

pallando(at)gmx(dot)at

Joshua Duffin

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 11:59:0118/11/2003

"Metropolis" <do...@umich.edu> wrote in message

> Does anyone know what this card does? Dammans compared it to
Information
> Highway & Zillah's Valley,

It's a master card. I don't have it in front of me, but the text is
something like:

[no cost]
Play on a ready vampire you control. During your next influence phase,
remove this vampire from the game and move all its blood counters to an

older vampire in your uncontrolled region.

I'm not really sure what its usefulness is supposed to be. It would let
you "ramp up" to a big vampire while getting to take actions, but at the
cost of not getting to keep the vampires you blow up with it (and having
used up your uncontrolled region to do it).

Josh

antisocial

Halcyan 2

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:17:3118/11/2003
>I'm not really sure what its usefulness is supposed to be. It would let
>you "ramp up" to a big vampire while getting to take actions, but at the
>cost of not getting to keep the vampires you blow up with it (and having
>used up your uncontrolled region to do it).

Maybe you could use it in some sort of Daring the Dawn or Force of Will deck.
You put it on a vamp. Bleed unblockably and go to torpor. But you don't mind
torpor since you simply get a new vamp instead?

Alternatively, it could work really well with Malkavian Demenia and also with
Ayelea + Mind Rape. Temporarily steal your opponent's vampire, remove it from
the game, and get out a new vampire.

Halcyan 2

LSJ

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:22:5518/11/2003
Halcyan 2 wrote:
> Alternatively, it could work really well with Malkavian Demenia and also with
> Ayelea + Mind Rape. Temporarily steal your opponent's vampire, remove it from
> the game, and get out a new vampire.

Mind Rape won't work - the timing's not right. Minion phase comes after master.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Halcyan 2

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:30:0018/11/2003
>> Alternatively, it could work really well with Malkavian Demenia and also
>with
>> Ayelea + Mind Rape. Temporarily steal your opponent's vampire, remove it
>from
>> the game, and get out a new vampire.
>
>Mind Rape won't work - the timing's not right. Minion phase comes after
>master.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant the Ayelea + Mind Rape and once
you get control of the critter you have him CI to !Tremere and can take him
normally with Ayelea's ability (which *does* give you the window to use Social
Ladder).

Ever since the new Goratrix came out, I've been dying to try an Ayelea +
Goratrix deck with Malkavian support members. You have Ayelea or Goratrix CI to
Malkavian and then start throwing Deranges around the table. You can either use
Malkavian Dementia and the Parthenon to fire off Minion Taps or Golcondas. The
backup plan is having the temporary Malk CI to !Tremere and burn him with
Goratrix. Not sure it will actually be effective but seems amusing in concept.
In addition, Social Ladder is just that much more useful for this deck since
it's another easy way to eliminate a minion you steal.

Halcyan 2

Metropolis

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:19:2718/11/2003
Thanks to
> pallando(at)gmx(dot)at
> Josh Duffin.

Usefulness...

I guess it allows you to bring out little vampires in the beginning for
defense, then bring out the bad boys later...

What if there were no older vampires?

I guess you could use it with a Derange Deck, steal your prey's vamps, then
smoke them..

Sounds fun to me : )

David

Metropolis

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:25:0918/11/2003
> Alternatively, it could work really well with Malkavian Demenia

> Ayelea + Mind Rape. Temporarily steal your opponent's vampire, remove it

from
> the game, and get out a new vampire.

Mind Rape triggers during your minion phase. There is no way to put social
ladder on them.

M.

Metropolis

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 12:25:3418/11/2003
Damn 3 minutes...

salem

non lue,
18 nov. 2003, 21:13:3718/11/2003
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:19:27 -0500, "Metropolis" <do...@umich.edu>
scrawled:

>Thanks to
>> pallando(at)gmx(dot)at
>> Josh Duffin.
>
>Usefulness...
>
>I guess it allows you to bring out little vampires in the beginning for
>defense, then bring out the bad boys later...
>
>What if there were no older vampires?

By Card text, it looks like you'd remove your vampire from the game,
and ....do nothing else (except maybe curse yourself for bad
play...like when Mark took a +1 stealth action to burn 3 pool off
himself (he was getting a War Ghoul and he had no other
allies/retainers in play :)).

LSJ?

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

Luis Duarte

non lue,
19 nov. 2003, 06:50:4519/11/2003
"Metropolis" <do...@umich.edu> wrote in message news:
> Usefulness...
>
> I guess it allows you to bring out little vampires in the beginning for
> defense, then bring out the bad boys later...
>
> What if there were no older vampires?
>
> I guess you could use it with a Derange Deck, steal your prey's vamps, then
> smoke them..

I had the same thought but it's hard to build because we're talking in
playing 2 master cards in the same turn (Malk Dementia and Social
Ladder). Of course 4 or 5 Parthenon (or other) could be a way to deal
with this but experience shows that it's not easy...

.- Luis Duarte (Portugal)

Wouter Kuyper

non lue,
19 nov. 2003, 09:33:0519/11/2003
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20031118123000...@mb-m25.aol.com>...

So basically you want
1) Gora or Aya to become a Malk
2) start deranging (you need stealth for this probably)
3) Parthenon
4) malkavian dementia
5) Miniontap/Golconda/SocialLadder

Cool, but you don't need Gora or Aya for that.

or:
1) Gora or Aya to become a Malk
2) MindRape (stealth?)
3) CI that vamp to !trem
4) block the remove CI action (you need intercept and wake for that,
perhaps Aya's)
5) a) Burn with Goratrix, or b) steal with Aya.
after 5b)
6) Miniontap and/or Golconda or SocialLadder

Well, to be honest...If you want to do both you better play that new
Lasombra 10cap that can give you a huge hand...

Why not just stick to one of these options?
I think they are hard enough to accomplish on their own,

hamdamcwa

non lue,
19 nov. 2003, 11:24:1319/11/2003
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20031118121731...@mb-m25.aol.com>...

> >I'm not really sure what its usefulness is supposed to be. It would let
> >you "ramp up" to a big vampire while getting to take actions, but at the
> >cost of not getting to keep the vampires you blow up with it (and having
> >used up your uncontrolled region to do it).
>

> Maybe you could use it in some sort of Daring the Dawn or Force of Will deck.
> You put it on a vamp. Bleed unblockably and go to torpor. But you don't mind
> torpor since you simply get a new vamp instead?

Doesn't it have to be ready?

Also, if you're low on blood, you lose the one benefit of the card.

Dave

Henrik Isaksson

non lue,
19 nov. 2003, 11:36:0919/11/2003
"pallando" <m...@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet news:bpdirn$1mimqp$1...@ID-201886.news.uni-berlin.de...

Is it allowed to "go fish" for a new vampire before this effect triggers?

Is there any other possibilty besides Mind of a Child and Tariq to reduce one's capacity?

/henrik isaksson

Hollowboy

non lue,
19 nov. 2003, 21:38:1819/11/2003
"Metropolis" <do...@umich.edu> wrote in message news:<Gvsub.5304$H91.1...@news.itd.umich.edu>...

You could use regular !Nossies and other potent vamps to kill anything
that moves for the first half of the game, with decapitate / Society
of Leopold / Vulnerability thrown in to burn lots of vampires. Then,
once you have created havoac with your swarm, use social ladder to
trade up to the new Yung-Sun, who has bleed bonuses due to your
previous antics ...Of course, you could just do this with Harrod, but
this way it cooler :)

Alternatively: make a vote deck with lots of small vamps, and some big
titled ones. Get weenies out immediately, and drop a couple of big
bleeds and KRC's early, before your prey has defence. Use social
ladder to trade up to big titled vamps when you need stealth and Awe
to get the votes to pass.

You get to do damage early, without slowing up the influencing of the
big, late game vote monsters... the same could apply for any of the
deck archetypes.

It's a *very* cool card.

Chris Shorb

non lue,
20 nov. 2003, 03:00:4720/11/2003

Henrik Isaksson wrote:

> "pallando" <m...@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet news:bpdirn$1mimqp$1...@ID-201886.news.uni-berlin.de...
> > Social Ladder
> >
> > Master
> > Put this card on a ready vampire you control. During your next influence
> > phase, remove this vampire from the game and move all the blood counters
> > from that vampire to an older vampire in your uncontrolled region.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > pallando(at)gmx(dot)at
>
> Is it allowed to "go fish" for a new vampire before this effect triggers?

I imagine so, you can order effects in a phase as you choose, in most cases. And card text doesn't seem
to indicate it has to be the first thing to happen.

chris

--
chris shorb
<www.vtesinla.org> (A V:TES site)

Ped Xing

non lue,
21 nov. 2003, 13:16:3821/11/2003
"pallando" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<bpdirn$1mimqp$1...@ID-201886.news.uni-berlin.de>...

Some quick clarification about the text "your next influence phase."
This card is played during your master phase. Your next influence
phase would be at the end of the turn the card is played, correct?

-Matt

LSJ

non lue,
21 nov. 2003, 14:04:4721/11/2003
Ped Xing wrote:
> Some quick clarification about the text "your next influence phase."
> This card is played during your master phase. Your next influence
> phase would be at the end of the turn the card is played, correct?

Barring foolishness like Last Stand, yeah.

Ira

non lue,
21 nov. 2003, 17:25:4221/11/2003
> Barring foolishness like Last Stand, yeah.

I have a feeling we may been hearing that line a lot... :)

Ira

salem

non lue,
21 nov. 2003, 18:49:2121/11/2003
another qn on social ladder:

you don't _choose_ the older vamp until the influence phase, right?

mugwump242

non lue,
21 nov. 2003, 20:26:5921/11/2003
> Barring foolishness like Last Stand, yeah.

Interesting. Was LSJ not responsible for Time Wal....I mean Last Stand?

LSJ

non lue,
22 nov. 2003, 10:07:4222/11/2003
salem wrote:
> another qn on social ladder:
>
> you don't _choose_ the older vamp until the influence phase, right?

Right.

LSJ

non lue,
22 nov. 2003, 10:10:0322/11/2003
mugwump242 wrote:
>>Barring foolishness like Last Stand, yeah.
>

> Interesting. Was LSJ not responsible for [...] Last Stand?

?
Of course.

I was noting an effect that would cause "your next influence phase" to
occur on a turn other than the turn on which Social Ladder was played,
per the question asked that you snipped.

Timlagor

non lue,
22 nov. 2003, 10:57:4422/11/2003
LSJ expounded:

> mugwump242 wrote:
> >>Barring foolishness like Last Stand, yeah.
>
> I was noting an effect that would cause "your next influence phase" to
> occur on a turn other than the turn on which Social Ladder was played,
> per the question asked that you snipped.

It was your decision to call it "foolishness" that was interesting.

LSJ

non lue,
23 nov. 2003, 10:53:1323/11/2003

If you say so.

It just means that the situations in which the simple answer "correct"
would not suffice are few and far between.

Andrea

non lue,
23 nov. 2003, 17:19:1223/11/2003

> Doesn't it have to be ready?
>
> Also, if you're low on blood, you lose the one benefit of the card.
>
> Dave

I think the only benfit of the card apart from having the blood of 1
vamp suddenly transferred on a bigger uncontrolled vamp (thus
eliminating the first one from the game) is that the first vampire
could act and at the end of the turn you have a bigger untapped vamp.

btw the only combos that come into my mind is about hostile takover,
derange and malkavian dementia and baltimora purge/graverobbing.

i'm afraid that all the !tremere stuff would require another strategy
:(

Andrea

Halcyan 2

non lue,
24 nov. 2003, 23:59:0424/11/2003
>> Maybe you could use it in some sort of Daring the Dawn or Force of Will
>deck.
>> You put it on a vamp. Bleed unblockably and go to torpor. But you don't
>mind
>> torpor since you simply get a new vamp instead?
>
>Doesn't it have to be ready?
>
>Also, if you're low on blood, you lose the one benefit of the card.

The vampire has to be ready when you play Social Ladder but card text does not
require a ready requirement when the vampire is removed from the game.

Halcyan 2

Halcyan 2

non lue,
25 nov. 2003, 00:08:4425/11/2003
>Subject: Re: Social Ladder
>From: "Henrik Isaksson" hen...@nissamedia.net
>Date: 11/19/03 10:36 AM Central Standard Time

>Is there any other possibilty besides Mind of a Child and Tariq to reduce
>one's capacity?

There's Wrath of the Inner Circle (though that requires a Justicar getting
demoted by an IC member). And you can also get slapped around by Violet
Tremain...

Halcyan 2

0 nouveau message