[DECK] Big Things (Servius, Nahir)

Demnogonis Saastuttaja

Jun 16, 2010, 10:18:52 AM6/16/10
Big Things

Big minions, big hand size and big bleeds. I thought that having a
large hand size would be useful with a defensive setup, with wakes,
intercept, obedience and bounce. So I'd think this could be a
frustrating deck to oust while having a reasonable oust method itself.
The silly thing is that Servius also helps the other decks that I have
least defense against, that is decks with big guys which often are
vote decks. Anyway I think it more or less works, now is there
something useful I could do to it?

12x Crypt
4x Servius Marius Pustula OBT DOM ANI
3x Nahir OBT DOM ANI
3x Anton de COncepción OBT DOM ANI
2x Conrad Adoula OBT DOM ani

75x Library

18x Master
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Elysian Fields
1x KRCG News Radio
1x WMRH Talk Radio
5x Villein
1x Giant's Blood
4x Life in the City
1x Golconda

8x Action
8x Govern the Unalinged

19x Action Modifier
4x Shadow Play (I don't have four of these, instead I have four
Tenebrous Forms)
3x Seduction
4x Shroud of Absence
4x Conditioning
4x Bonding

2x Combo
2x Murmur of the False Will

28x Reaction
4x Deflection
2x Redirection
6x Obedience
4x Sense the Savage Way
4x Eyes of the Night
3x Guard Dogs
1x Rat's Warning
2x Cat's Guidance
2x Instinctive Reaction

The Lasombra

Jun 16, 2010, 11:29:53 AM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 10:18 am, Demnogonis Saastuttaja <vihako...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Big Things

> Big minions, big hand size and big bleeds. I thought that having a
> large hand size would be useful with a defensive setup, with wakes,
> intercept, obedience and bounce. So I'd think this could be a
> frustrating deck to oust while having a reasonable oust method itself.
> The silly thing is that Servius also helps the other decks that I have
> least defense against, that is decks with big guys which often are
> vote decks. Anyway I think it more or less works, now is there
> something useful I could do to it?

Did you take a look at any of these decks that feature an extremely
similar crypt?
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/taking-control.htm
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/sense_lasombra_way.htm
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/anton-howler.htm
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/chicago-justicar.htm
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/house-coven-anton.htm
http://www.TheLasombra.com/decks/nac2009day2.htm

> 12x Crypt
> 4x Servius Marius Pustula OBT DOM ANI
> 3x Nahir OBT DOM ANI
> 3x Anton de COncepción OBT DOM ANI
> 2x Conrad Adoula OBT DOM ani

> 75x Library

> 18x Master
> 2x Dreams of the Sphinx
> 1x Elysian Fields
> 1x KRCG News Radio
> 1x WMRH Talk Radio
> 5x Villein
> 1x Giant's Blood
> 4x Life in the City
> 1x Golconda

> 8x Action
> 8x Govern the Unalinged

> 19x Action Modifier
> 4x Shadow Play (I don't have four of these, instead I have four
> Tenebrous Forms)
> 3x Seduction
> 4x Shroud of Absence
> 4x Conditioning
> 4x Bonding

Enkil Cog!!!!!

> 2x Combo
> 2x Murmur of the False Will

Crap! Remove ASAP!

> 28x Reaction
> 4x Deflection
> 2x Redirection
> 6x Obedience
> 4x Sense the Savage Way
> 4x Eyes of the Night
> 3x Guard Dogs
> 1x Rat's Warning
> 2x Cat's Guidance
> 2x Instinctive Reaction

I'm not a fan of Guard Dogs or Rats Warning here.

Also, you have no combat, what do you intend to do about that?

I would recommend Carrion Crows x7 and Canine Horde x5 and Taste of
Vitae x2.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja

Jun 17, 2010, 11:29:22 AM6/17/10
I looked at your decks, and I note that they aren't that similar, all
have 30+ combat cards. I don't want to fight with my big guys, that
sort of thing is for weenies.

Enkil Cog should indeed be nice here.

What's wrong with Murmur, when all my minions are pretty big, or Guard
Dogs/RW which let you untap + Deflect?

I'm going to hope Obediences and Shrouds are enough combat. I try not
to do big guy decks with a big pile of offensive combat, because I
find that sucks :)

The Lasombra

Jun 17, 2010, 11:56:57 AM6/17/10
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:29:22 -0700 (PDT), Demnogonis Saastuttaja
wrote:

>What's wrong with Murmur, when all my minions are pretty big, or Guard
>Dogs/RW which let you untap + Deflect?

Murmur sucks because it taps you.

You can play 5 Deflections on your predators 5 bleed actions in the
same turn around the table. This is not true of Murmur.

Guard Dogs/Rats Warning are bleed specific and if your predator is
voting, or using Temptation, or rushing, or Choiring, or anything else
to attack your minions or your pool, they clog your hand. Sense the
Savage Way is better for all of your minions except Conrad, and Conrad
can be fixed.

Robert Scythe

Jun 17, 2010, 9:14:29 PM6/17/10
On Jun 16, 7:18 am, Demnogonis Saastuttaja <vihako...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Big Things

Big Suggestions:

Mylan Horseed, especially if you want to run Enkil Cog but, well,
anyway.

Carlton Van Wyck, enough said.

The Ivory Bow, you may want to try and knock somebody down with your
intercept and manuevers.

A Jake and/or Lilith's Blessing or 2, better than Life In The Cities
or a Hunting Ground, and Lilith's combos well with Villein.

A D.I. or 2 or a D.I.2.

And about 2-4 Sense Deps, I hear their great for making people give
up, or bitch and whine, and they'll help against those big voters you
were afraid of.

Jun 17, 2010, 9:27:54 PM6/17/10
> And about 2-4 Sense Deps, I hear their great for making people give
> up, or bitch and whine, and they'll help against those big voters you
> were afraid of.

I've found that Sense Deps are great for making the player playing
them bitch, whine and give up. Especially when they Sense Dep xtable
and then you banish their needle & thread ass for it. So they xfer
out.

-- J

Robert Scythe

Jun 17, 2010, 9:49:57 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 6:27 pm, J <grai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that Sense Deps are great for making the player playing
> them bitch, whine and give up.  Especially when they Sense Dep xtable
> and then you banish their needle & thread ass for it.  So they xfer
> out.

Or they transfer back up and y'all are in the same boat, good luck
with that.

Jun 18, 2010, 2:29:03 AM6/18/10

A banished Sense Depper does not "activate" a Sense Dep that they put
in place in a prior life. Once they are banished, any Sense Deps that
they already had in place are now null and void.

-- J

Robert Scythe

Jun 18, 2010, 2:52:21 AM6/18/10
On Jun 17, 11:29 pm, J <grai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A banished Sense Depper does not "activate" a Sense Dep that they put
> in place in a prior life.  Once they are banished, any Sense Deps that
> they already had in place are now null and void.

So there should be even less bitching and whining about how broken
this card is. You've shown 2 ways to deal with it, Banishment (hadn't
realized that it didn't kick back in, that is totally cool) and, more
importantly, a table realizing a major problem and working together to
solve it. So enough with the Sensory Deprivation crying and let's get
on with the game.

Still a great suggestion for this deck, however.

Blooded Sand

Jun 19, 2010, 4:29:08 AM6/19/10

can we get a confirmation of some kind on this please?

cos i don't see why it should work like this...

Jun 19, 2010, 4:52:25 AM6/19/10
> > A banished Sense Depper does not "activate" a Sense Dep that they put
> > in place in a prior life.  Once they are banished, any Sense Deps that
> > they already had in place are now null and void.
>
> > -- J
>
> can we get a confirmation of some kind on this please?
>
> cos i don't see why it should work like this...

Each time a vamp is influenced out, they are considered to be a new
vampire.

As for the ruling by LSJ, here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/f6082625c2b60ded/f

-- J

XZealot

Jun 19, 2010, 7:15:33 AM6/19/10

it does

Morgan Vening

Jun 19, 2010, 7:20:05 AM6/19/10
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 04:15:33 -0700 (PDT), XZealot <xze...@cox.net>
wrote:

It'd be because of where it's placed. If Sense Dep were played on the
ACTING Vampire, and the target didn't untap while it was in play,
Banishment wouldn't neutralize it.

But because it's placed on the TARGET Vampire, there's no memory via
Banishment. The Vampire coming back into play isn't the same
'instance'. Banishment only tracks cards (and counters) on the Vampire
itself, not other cards naming it. The Rack would also 'forget' a
Banished Vampire.

Not sure I like the way it works, but 'card text' trumps
'quasi-reality'. It's the cause of a lot of my rules reality-breaks.

Morgan Vening

LSJ

Jun 19, 2010, 8:42:56 AM6/19/10
On Jun 19, 4:52 am, J <grai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > A banished Sense Depper does not "activate" a Sense Dep that they put
> > > in place in a prior life.  Once they are banished, any Sense Deps that
> > > they already had in place are now null and void.
>
> > > -- J
>
> > can we get a confirmation of some kind on this please?
>
> > cos i don't see why it should work like this...
>
> Each time a vamp is influenced out, they are considered to be a new
> vampire.

No. The banished-and-reinfluenced vampire is the same vampire.

> As for the ruling by LSJ, here:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_t...

Correct.

Sensory Deprivation has an effect that lasts until a certain time, at
which time the effect ends.

It has no mechanism to re-start the effect (and the effect is not a
"whenever <X> is true" effect.)

Similarly Rowan Ring only prevents the victim from untapping until xey
leaves torpor. If they then later go to torpor again, the no-untap
effect of Rowan Ring will not kick back in.

LSJ

Jun 19, 2010, 8:46:43 AM6/19/10
On Jun 19, 7:20 am, Morgan Vening <mor...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> It'd be because of where it's placed. If Sense Dep were played on the
> ACTING Vampire, and the target didn't untap while it was in play,
> Banishment wouldn't neutralize it.
>
> But because it's placed on the TARGET Vampire, there's no memory via
> Banishment.

From the rulings page:
A Banished vampire will remember all effects that had been applied to
him, just as contested vampires do. This includes gained or lost
titles, etc.

> The Vampire coming back into play isn't the same
> 'instance'.

It is the same instance.

> Banishment only tracks cards (and counters) on the Vampire
> itself, not other cards naming it. The Rack would also 'forget' a
> Banished Vampire.

From the rulings page:
Note that "for the rest of the game" effects pointing at the Banished
vampire (from some other source) will resume if/when the vampire comes
back into play (e.g., Contract naming that Assamite).

Demnogonis Saastuttaja

Jun 19, 2010, 9:07:49 AM6/19/10
Thanks for your suggestions, here's a new draft :

12x Crypt
4x Servius Marius Pustula OBT DOM ANI
3x Nahir OBT DOM ANI

3x Anton de Concepción OBT DOM ANI

2x Conrad Adoula OBT DOM ani

80x Library

18x Master
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Elysian Fields
1x KRCG News Radio
1x WMRH Talk Radio
5x Villein
1x Giant's Blood

2x Jake Washington, Hunter
2x Perfectionist (I want blood to work with for my minions so I don't
want to Villein/Lilith them to three blood)
1x Golconda
2x Direct Intervention (these were here all along, actually, I just
forgot to list them)

12x Action
8x Govern the Unalinged
1x Ivory Bow
1x Carlton Van Wyk
1x Mylan Horseed
1x Mind Rape

20x Action Modifier
4x Shadow Play
3x Seduction
4x Shroud of Absence (eh, of course I have four Shadow Plays, I meant
these)
4x Conditioning
4x Bonding
1x Enkil Cog

30x Reaction
8x Deflection (hopefully the new blood management module can handle
the increased costs)

6x Obedience
4x Sense the Savage Way
4x Eyes of the Night

3x Guard Dogs (I have faith in these, as they do not force me to block
unlike StSW, and are nice with Deflections)

1x Rat's Warning
2x Cat's Guidance
2x Instinctive Reaction

Well, I don't have SD's, and I don't think I'll be going to get any
before they get reprinted. Yes, it was easier to get Mind Rape and
Enkil Cog and such. Anyway I think Mind Rape isn't any worse than SD.

Now the deck is a bit larger, hopefully the extra hand size helps with
that. What if I had more Nahirs, possibly less Servius Pustules and
had some Parthenons and somehow a different master module? Any ideas?
I haven't done these Parthenon dependent master modules much since
before third edition. And if the Parthenon contests, it's going to
suck horribly.