(LSJ) Determine + Vigilance

floppyzedolfin

Apr 30, 2009, 9:08:30 AM4/30/09
Hello,
Can a tapped Imbued use Vigilance (reaction) to untap and play
Determine as is his predator plays Bum's Rush?

--

Vigilance
Cardtype: Power

Name: Determine
Cardtype: Reaction
Cost: 1 Conviction
Virtue: Vision
Play when a monster controlled by your predator is bleeding you, -
{after blocks are declined}-. Tap this reacting imbued. The monster is
now bleeding your predator's predator.
Or play when a monster controlled by your predator or prey plays an
action card. Tap this reacting imbued and cancel that action card as
it is played (no cost is paid, and the monster doesn't tap). That
monster cannot play the same action card again this turn.

Powerlord

Apr 30, 2009, 9:41:13 AM4/30/09

No i dont think so, determine states that you can tap the reacting
imbued and cancel that action card as it is player, so you are "bond"
to what ever cards you have on your hand and are "bond" to the state
of your minions. If you untap him through vigilance when you try to
cancel the Bum's Rush, it is no longer as it is played.

Ricardo Marta
Prince of Lisboa
Portugal

LSJ

Apr 30, 2009, 9:51:56 AM4/30/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> Hello,
> Can a tapped Imbued use Vigilance (reaction) to untap and play
> Determine as is his predator plays Bum's Rush?

No. Vigilance's effect is not an "as some card is played" effect.

Juggernaut1981

Apr 30, 2009, 6:53:41 PM4/30/09
> > monster cannot play the same action card again this turn.- Hide quoted text -

By using Vigilance you're effectively stating that the action has
begun for you. If you Determine the action, then it never begins. So
you can't "say it has begun" with Vigilance and then "say it never
began" with Determine.

LSJ

Apr 30, 2009, 7:00:12 PM4/30/09

But you could with Wake. So that's not the argument.

Smurf...@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 8:07:04 AM5/5/09
> But you could with Wake. So that's not the argument.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Then I don't understand the ruling above, why is it not possible with
vigilance, but possible with wake?

LSJ

May 5, 2009, 8:16:05 AM5/5/09
Smurf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Then I don't understand the ruling above, why is it not possible with
> vigilance, but possible with wake?

Presence or absence of "may play reaction cards as if untapped" effect.

Cards with such effect can be played in the "as played" window.
Other cards cannot be (unless they have explicit text to do so).

floppyzedolfin

May 5, 2009, 8:19:21 AM5/5/09
On May 5, 2:07 pm, Smurfal...@gmail.com wrote:
> why is it not possible with
> vigilance, but possible with wake?

Because Wake with Evening's Freshness is a "Wake" card, whereas
Vigiliance is not.
Till now, "Wake" cards have the "[this minion may play reaction cards]
as though untapped" cardtext.

Smurf...@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 8:32:54 AM5/5/09
On 5 Maj, 14:16, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

Ah, so the "as played" window doesn't last until the reaction card is
fully resolved?

Another question, how would the ruling be when untapping with Angel of
Berlin, as to avoid a shouting contest on who declares first? Would
there have to be a "soft" ruling on how the play was intended by the
players?

Angel of Berlin, Master, Imbued, C , [NoR]
Master: out-of-turn. Requires a ready imbued. Untap an imbued, or
equip a ready imbued you control with an equipment from your hand
(requirements must be met; pay cost as normal). Not usable during
combat.

LSJ

May 5, 2009, 8:40:29 AM5/5/09
Smurf...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 5 Maj, 14:16, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Smurfal...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Then I don't understand the ruling above, why is it not possible with
>>> vigilance, but possible with wake?
>> Presence or absence of "may play reaction cards as if untapped" effect.
>>
>> Cards with such effect can be played in the "as played" window.
>> Other cards cannot be (unless they have explicit text to do so).
>
> Ah, so the "as played" window doesn't last until the reaction card is
> fully resolved?

A card must be played (and not canceled) in order to resolve.

> Another question, how would the ruling be when untapping with Angel of
> Berlin, as to avoid a shouting contest on who declares first? Would
> there have to be a "soft" ruling on how the play was intended by the
> players?

When seeking to avoid a shouting contest, use the sequencing rules.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/rulebook.html#sec1_6_1

Juggernaut1981

May 5, 2009, 7:57:26 PM5/5/09

LSJ:

#1 If a card is still "as it is played" until is resolves, what occurs
with actions and action modifiers? Does the window of "as it is
played" extend all the way to block success/failure or does it end as
soon as a block attempt is declared?

#2 Are "Only usable when declaring an action" effects (such as Club
Illusion) also cancelled if the action card declared is cancelled?

For example: Gideon Fontaine the Anarch bleeds with Undue Influence @
pre and as part of declaring the action burns a blood for Club
Illusion, therefore declaring the action as a bleed action with 0
stealth, targeting uncontrolled minion X for a total bleed of 2. The
Methuselah targeted by the bleed plays Direct Intervention to cancel
the Undue Influence. Does Gideon regain the blood he burned to use
Club Illusion since the bleed action he declared has been cancelled?

jwnew...@bellsouth.net

May 5, 2009, 9:18:12 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 7:57 pm, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LSJ:
>
> #1 If a card is still "as it is played" until is resolves, what occurs
> with actions and action modifiers?  Does the window of "as it is
> played" extend all the way to block success/failure or does it end as
> soon as a block attempt is declared?

Action Cards are an exception to the rule that cards resolve as
played. They resolve as per the rules on actions resolving, but the
"as played" window is only as played. Modifiers resolve as played.

> #2 Are "Only usable when declaring an action" effects (such as Club
> Illusion) also cancelled if the action card declared is cancelled?

Not as such. They simply can't be used until all players have passed
on cancelling the action card (or using other "as played" effects, if
any). If someone speeds past an opponents chance to cancel the card,
you rewind the game state and give them their chance.

-witness1

Juggernaut1981

May 5, 2009, 10:08:31 PM5/5/09

Witness: There really wasn't a lot of clarification there as to when
the "as played" window closes for actions. There are a number of
effects that must be played "as the action is declared" which is, as
far as I can tell, the "as played" window. You play and declare
actions simultaneously and therefore any action modifiers that must be
played as an action is declared also arrive at this time. So there
are three potential scenarios:

#1 The action card is revealed/declared, the minion is tapped to
attempt the action and all other Methuselahs now have an opportunity
to cancel that action BEFORE any "as declared" effects are used. (Such
as Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, The Grandest Trick, etc)

#2 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
effects (Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, et al) and now Methuselahs have
an opportunity to cancel the action card "as played" before any
Methuselah attempts to block the action.

#3 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
effects and Methuselahs have the opportunity to cancel the action card
before the resolution of block attempts is completed.

If the correct scenario is NOT #1, then the next question is: Do "as
declared" action modifiers get cancelled along with the declared
action? And if the cancelling card says "no cost is paid" or similar,
do the costs of the action modifiers get cancelled/refunded?

The Lasombra

May 5, 2009, 10:44:57 PM5/5/09
On Tue, 5 May 2009 19:08:31 -0700 (PDT), Juggernaut1981
<brassc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>There really wasn't a lot of clarification there as to when
>the "as played" window closes for actions.

The window closes immediately. No other cards can be played until
that card is played.

>There are a number of
>effects that must be played "as the action is declared" which is, as
>far as I can tell, the "as played" window. You play and declare
>actions simultaneously and therefore any action modifiers that must be
>played as an action is declared also arrive at this time. So there
>are three potential scenarios:

Nope.
You play the card then declare the action.

>#1 The action card is revealed/declared, the minion is tapped to
>attempt the action and all other Methuselahs now have an opportunity
>to cancel that action BEFORE any "as declared" effects are used. (Such
>as Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, The Grandest Trick, etc)

That would be fine here, yes.

>#2 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
>effects (Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, et al) and now Methuselahs have
>an opportunity to cancel the action card "as played" before any
>Methuselah attempts to block the action.

That's fine here too.

>#3 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
>effects and Methuselahs have the opportunity to cancel the action card
>before the resolution of block attempts is completed.

Not this one at all.
This one is entirely too late.

>If the correct scenario is NOT #1, then the next question is: Do "as
>declared" action modifiers get cancelled along with the declared
>action?

No.
They are returned to hand/undone/untapped/unrevealed, etc.

>And if the cancelling card says "no cost is paid" or similar,
>do the costs of the action modifiers get cancelled/refunded?

The action modifiers do not get played and any potential cost that
might have been paid for them is not paid.

Carpe noctem.

The Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best source of V:TES information.
Now also selling boxes and individual cards.

floppyzedolfin

May 6, 2009, 3:10:11 AM5/6/09
On May 6, 4:08 am, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There really wasn't a lot of clarification there as to when
> the "as played" window closes for actions.

The window closes when no one decides to cancel the card.

> There are a number of
> effects that must be played "as the action is declared" which is, as
> far as I can tell, the "as played" window.  You play and declare
> actions simultaneously and therefore any action modifiers that must be
> played as an action is declared also arrive at this time.  So there
> are three potential scenarios:

No. "Action is declared" requires a "Card is played".
Remember, you can play the Seduction you replaced from the Govern the
Unaligned you played.

> #1 The action card is revealed/declared, the minion is tapped to
> attempt the action and all other Methuselahs now have an opportunity
> to cancel that action BEFORE any "as declared" effects are used. (Such
> as Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, The Grandest Trick, etc)

Almost. Tapping comes after the cancelling part.
The action card is played, terms are set, if any. If the action card
is not cancelled, the acting minion taps. Then, you replace the action
card. And finally, you can play or use any "As action is announced"
cards or effects. And then, initiate the "Do you block" part.

> #2 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
> effects (Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, et al) and now Methuselahs have
> an opportunity to cancel the action card "as played" before any
> Methuselah attempts to block the action.

No.

> #3 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
> effects and Methuselahs have the opportunity to cancel the action card
> before the resolution of block attempts is completed.

No.

> If the correct scenario is NOT #1, then the next question is: Do "as
> declared" action modifiers get cancelled along with the declared
> action?  And if the cancelling card says "no cost is paid" or similar,
> do the costs of the action modifiers get cancelled/refunded?

Moot.

James Coupe

May 6, 2009, 3:29:46 AM5/6/09
floppyzedolfin <floppyz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>The action card is played, terms are set, if any. If the action card
>is not cancelled, the acting minion taps. Then, you replace the action
>card. And finally, you can play or use any "As action is announced"
>cards or effects. And then, initiate the "Do you block" part.

You've rushed ahead to blocks too early.

You can play a variety of other effects between "As action is
announced" and "Do you block". The typical example is playing a bleed
modifier or similar effect that you want to get in before someone
declares a block attempt with a Blessing of Chaos minion.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

LSJ

May 6, 2009, 6:09:08 AM5/6/09
Juggernaut1981 wrote:
> On May 5, 10:40 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Smurfal...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Ah, so the "as played" window doesn't last until the reaction card is
>>> fully resolved?
>> A card must be played (and not canceled) in order to resolve.
>>
>>> Another question, how would the ruling be when untapping with Angel of
>>> Berlin, as to avoid a shouting contest on who declares first? Would
>>> there have to be a "soft" ruling on how the play was intended by the
>>> players?
>> When seeking to avoid a shouting contest, use the sequencing rules.http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/rulebook/rulebook.html#sec1_6_1
>
> LSJ:
>
> #1 If a card is still "as it is played" until is resolves,

This isn't the case, so the rest is moot.

A card is "as played" until it is finished "as played".

> #2 Are "Only usable when declaring an action" effects (such as Club
> Illusion) also cancelled if the action card declared is cancelled?

An action take with an action card follows this sequence:

1) Play the card (declaring what the action will be). ("as played" goes here).
2) If not canceled, tap the acting minion and begin the action ("as announced"
goes here).
3) Perform the action (other stuff, including block attempts, go here).

> For example: Gideon Fontaine the Anarch bleeds with Undue Influence @
> pre and as part of declaring the action burns a blood for Club
> Illusion, therefore declaring the action as a bleed action with 0
> stealth, targeting uncontrolled minion X for a total bleed of 2. The
> Methuselah targeted by the bleed plays Direct Intervention to cancel
> the Undue Influence. Does Gideon regain the blood he burned to use
> Club Illusion since the bleed action he declared has been cancelled?

Gideon never burned the blood.
DI was played when the Undue Influence was played, before using Club Illusion.

LSJ

May 6, 2009, 6:23:34 AM5/6/09
The Lasombra wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009 19:08:31 -0700 (PDT), Juggernaut1981
> <brassc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There really wasn't a lot of clarification there as to when
>> the "as played" window closes for actions.
>
> The window closes immediately. No other cards can be played until
> that card is played.
>
>> There are a number of
>> effects that must be played "as the action is declared" which is, as
>> far as I can tell, the "as played" window. You play and declare
>> actions simultaneously and therefore any action modifiers that must be
>> played as an action is declared also arrive at this time. So there
>> are three potential scenarios:
>
> Nope.
> You play the card then declare the action.

Correct. When you play the card, you declare the card (which involves saying
what the action will be -- declaring the action). But the effects used "as the
action is declared" are not usable in the "as played" window -- causing this
confusion. The declaration starts with the action card play and continues to
the rest of the "as declared" stuff that happens after the action card is played
(since that stuff cannot be played in the "as played" window).

>> #1 The action card is revealed/declared, the minion is tapped to
>> attempt the action and all other Methuselahs now have an opportunity
>> to cancel that action BEFORE any "as declared" effects are used. (Such
>> as Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, The Grandest Trick, etc)
>
> That would be fine here, yes.

Correct, except that the acting minion doesn't tap until the action card is
successfully played (not canceled).

>> #2 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
>> effects (Club Illusion, Day Op @ for, et al) and now Methuselahs have
>> an opportunity to cancel the action card "as played" before any
>> Methuselah attempts to block the action.
>
> That's fine here too.

Canceling the action card "as it is played" must be done as it is played, before
the later "as the action is declared" stuff, like Club Illusion and basic Day
Operation.

>> #3 The action card is declared along with all other "as declared"
>> effects and Methuselahs have the opportunity to cancel the action card
>> before the resolution of block attempts is completed.
>
> Not this one at all.
> This one is entirely too late.

Correct.

>> If the correct scenario is NOT #1, then the next question is: Do "as
>> declared" action modifiers get cancelled along with the declared
>> action?
>
> No.
> They are returned to hand/undone/untapped/unrevealed, etc.

Correct by way of: they were never played from hand/done/tapped/revealed in the
first place, and game state should be corrected to match that reality if the
acting Methuselah skipped ahead of others' opportunity to play "as played" cards
in her rush to play other "as declared" modifiers.

>> And if the cancelling card says "no cost is paid" or similar,
>> do the costs of the action modifiers get cancelled/refunded?
>
> The action modifiers do not get played and any potential cost that
> might have been paid for them is not paid.

Correct.

dvor...@gmx.net

May 6, 2009, 8:05:55 AM5/6/09
On May 6, 12:09 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> An action take with an action card follows this sequence:
>
> 1) Play the card (declaring what the action will be). ("as played" goes here).
> 2) If not canceled, tap the acting minion and begin the action ("as announced"
> goes here).
> 3) Perform the action (other stuff, including block attempts, go here).

Some time ago I tried to write down "The complete sequence of playing
cards in VtES":
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/f790ff2dfb490bde/fa412f05b750c099?#fa412f05b750c099