quick jab and prevent question

chromeboy

Nov 16, 2007, 8:49:45 PM11/16/07
I have a vampire with +1 strength and play quick jab and modify my
hand damage to be aggravated. the opposing minion plays glancing blow
to prevent one damage.
does this resolve in me doing no damage ( meaning the "If more than 1
damage is inflicted with this strike, ignore the excess." is applied
before strike resolution) or one damage since damage inflicted is
checked after all damage modifying effects such as glancing blow have
been considered.

Quick Jab
Do not replace until after combat.Strike: hand strike (at strength
damage) with first strike. If more than 1 damage is inflicted with
this strike, ignore the excess.

THX

LSJ

Nov 17, 2007, 11:08:56 AM11/17/07
chromeboy wrote:
> I have a vampire with +1 strength and play quick jab and modify my
> hand damage to be aggravated. the opposing minion plays glancing blow
> to prevent one damage.
> does this resolve in me doing no damage ( meaning the "If more than 1
> damage is inflicted with this strike, ignore the excess." is applied
> before strike resolution) or one damage since damage inflicted is
> checked after all damage modifying effects such as glancing blow have
> been considered.

Zero. Glancing Blow doesn't modify the amount of damage done. It prevents damage.

In contrast, if your +1 strength vampire used Quick Jab against Nephandus, the
strike would do 1 (2 -1 = 1). Naphandus's effect really is a damage-modifying
effect.

chromeboy

Nov 18, 2007, 4:05:15 AM11/18/07
> > THX- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

When comparing this to disarm it seems to me that "inflicting damage"
and "successfully inflicting damage" are two different things, the two
being seperated by the preventing damage step. Am I correct?

LSJ

Nov 18, 2007, 8:26:00 AM11/18/07
chromeboy wrote:
> When comparing this to disarm it seems to me that "inflicting damage"
> and "successfully inflicting damage" are two different things, the two
> being seperated by the preventing damage step. Am I correct?

Yes.

And, in general, effects that occur after the damage prevention step tend to
naturally be interested in on the successfully-inflicted damage, as Disarm is.

That is, nothing usually cares to go back across the prevention step to see how
much damage was initially allocated to the minion.