Gustav Breidenstein (LSJ)

Blooded Sand

Nov 27, 2008, 5:10:46 AM11/27/08
Gustav Breidenstein
Ventrue
Capacity: 10
Group: 4
Camarilla Prince of Berlin: Gustav may tap during a referendum to gain
5 additional votes. +1 bleed.

Just a query regarding his special.

You may tap a previously tapped vampire if an effect would force you
to (See Brujah Debate). This does not mean that you can tap Gustav
during a political action he has taken, to gain an additional 5 votes,
correct?

Orpheus

Nov 27, 2008, 5:28:14 AM11/27/08

IANLSJ, but "tap to" isn't the same as "tap". When you "tap to" produce an
effect, you need to be untapped and to tap. An effect like Deep Song ("tap a
ready vampire and enter combat) will tap the vampire you enter combat with,
but will work if he is already tapped.

Orpheus
--
"Cynicism isn't maturity. Callousness isn't strength. Pretending you
don't care so you don't have to try isn't "winning" What you do with

Luther Manning.

Blooded Sand

Nov 27, 2008, 5:41:24 AM11/27/08

Thought so too, but someone is arguing with me....

Orpheus

Nov 27, 2008, 6:10:12 AM11/27/08
Blooded Sand wrote:
> On Nov 27, 11:28 am, "Orpheus" <orpheus...@NOSPAMfree.fr> wrote:
>> Blooded Sand wrote:
>>> Gustav Breidenstein
>>> Ventrue
>>> Capacity: 10
>>> Group: 4
>>> Camarilla Prince of Berlin: Gustav may tap during a referendum to
>>> gain 5 additional votes. +1 bleed.
>>
>>> Just a query regarding his special.
>>
>>> You may tap a previously tapped vampire if an effect would force you
>>> to (See Brujah Debate). This does not mean that you can tap Gustav
>>> during a political action he has taken, to gain an additional 5
>>> votes, correct?
>>
>> IANLSJ, but "tap to" isn't the same as "tap". When you "tap to"
>> produce an effect, you need to be untapped and to tap. An effect
>> like Deep Song ("tap a ready vampire and enter combat") will tap the

>> vampire you enter combat with, but will work if he is already tapped.
>>
>> Orpheus
>
> Thought so too, but someone is arguing with me....

Kill him.

Nobody should dare argue with the dreaded Blooded Sands !!

;)

Blooded Sand

Nov 27, 2008, 6:54:23 AM11/27/08

Nah, wanna feed him my new combo idea. Carlak and Dmitra, with Mary
Anne for backup. Can you say BLOAT?

Jozxyqk

Nov 27, 2008, 7:36:56 AM11/27/08
Blooded Sand <sand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may tap a previously tapped vampire if an effect would force you
> to (See Brujah Debate). This does not mean that you can tap Gustav
> during a political action he has taken, to gain an additional 5 votes,
> correct?

If you give him Inscription+Rutor's Hand, or a Temptation, then you can
untap him during his own action in order to use his special.

Just saying..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

LSJ

Nov 27, 2008, 7:35:55 AM11/27/08
Orpheus wrote:
> Blooded Sand wrote:
>> Gustav Breidenstein
>> Camarilla Prince of Berlin: Gustav may tap during a referendum to gain
>> 5 additional votes. +1 bleed.
>>
>> You may tap a previously tapped vampire if an effect would force you
>> to (See Brujah Debate). This does not mean that you can tap Gustav
>> during a political action he has taken, to gain an additional 5 votes,
>> correct?
>
> IANLSJ, but "tap to" isn't the same as "tap". When you "tap to" produce an
> effect, you need to be untapped and to tap. An effect like Deep Song ("tap a
> ready vampire and enter combat) will tap the vampire you enter combat with,
> but will work if he is already tapped.

Correct.

Shawn Stanley

Nov 27, 2008, 8:27:20 AM11/27/08

I understand why all of the above other examples are correct, but I
didn't think it applied here. So Gustav has 5 additional votes during
each referendum, as long as he's ready? If he's untapped, he'll have
to tap to do it, but if he's already tapped, no problem.

Cool.

LSJ

Nov 27, 2008, 8:56:36 AM11/27/08

No. When you "tap to" produce an effect, like Gustav does, you need to be
untapped in order to tap.

He has to tap "to" get the five additional votes. If he's tapped already, he
can't tap "to" get five votes.

In contrast to an effect like Deep Song, which doesn't say "tap to". Deep Song
can be used to "tap a vampire and enter combat with him or her" against an
already-tapped vampire.

XZealot

Nov 27, 2008, 10:19:03 AM11/27/08
On Nov 27, 6:36 am, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:

> Blooded Sand <sandm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You may tap a previously tapped vampire if an effect would force you
> > to (See Brujah Debate). This does not mean that you can tap Gustav
> > during a political action he has taken, to gain an additional 5 votes,
> > correct?
>
> If you give him Inscription+Rutor's Hand, or a Temptation, then you can
> untap him during his own action in order to use his special.

Or even whackier, CI to Toreador then graverob Alexandra and you can
use Alexandra's special to do it.

Chris Berger

Nov 27, 2008, 12:03:53 PM11/27/08
Yeah, to follow your logic, I can tap the Barrens over and over to get
infinite discards whenever I want them. Or if I control the edge, I
can tap Using the Advantage over and over to get infinite pool during
my untap... Or Momentum's Edge for infinite pool if I have a victory
point.

Salem

Nov 27, 2008, 4:31:52 PM11/27/08

or, tap him TWICE (or more, depending on your setup) during a referendum
called by a different one of your vampires to gain 10 (or more) votes....

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

Jozxyqk

Nov 27, 2008, 4:35:56 PM11/27/08
Salem <kell...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> XZealot wrote:
> >>
> >> If you give him Inscription+Rutor's Hand, or a Temptation, then you can
> >> untap him during his own action in order to use his special.
> >
> > Or even whackier, CI to Toreador then graverob Alexandra and you can
> > use Alexandra's special to do it.

> or, tap him TWICE (or more, depending on your setup) during a referendum
> called by a different one of your vampires to gain 10 (or more) votes....

Nope.
His ability says "During". That means once.

Shawn Stanley

Nov 28, 2008, 7:23:19 AM11/28/08

sorry I had been confused by the one word answer earlier

LSJ

Nov 28, 2008, 7:56:03 AM11/28/08

The earlier answer was

--- quote ---
But "tap to" isn't the same as "tap". When you "tap to" produce an effect, you

need to be untapped and to tap. An effect like Deep Song ("tap a ready vampire
and enter combat) will tap the vampire you enter combat with, but will work if
he is already tapped.

--- endquote ---

Which, although briefer than the second, is a good bit longer than one word.

Confirming that the answer was correct is not a one-word answer to your query.
It is a one-word acknowledgment that the answer given to your query is correct.

My longer answer says the same thing as the original answer.

Salem

Nov 30, 2008, 3:50:09 AM11/30/08

Argh. Because the sentence was written slightly differently to normal
('during' not being the first word), i didn't notice the 'during x do y'
template. Ah well.