LSJ: Pressing flesh and Compel the Spirit

Neil

May 18, 2010, 12:57:34 PM5/18/10
I have used Pressing Flesh on an ally - and this has just been burnt.

a) Can I use Compel the Spirit on the ally?

From the discussion about Khazar Diary wraiths (http://
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/
2bea874af5aff5b2), I suspect the answer is no, because the card in the
ash heap doesn't represent the zombie ally that was burnt, but I'm not
sure, especially in the case where the ally was originally a zombie.

b) Can I use Pressing Flesh on the ally?

I think this is possible, as the card still represents the ally that
was originally burnt before the first Pressing Flesh was played.

Card Texts:

Compel the Spirit

+1 stealth action.
[nec] Move an ally or retainer that was burned from play since your
last turn from your ash heap to your hand.
[NEC] As above, but move it to your ready region (ignore requirements
and cost) with X life from the blood bank, where X is the starting
life of the ally or retainer. If it is a retainer, place it on the
acting minion.

Pressing Flesh

+1 stealth action.
[thn] Choose an ally that was burned from play. Move that ally from
the ash heap to your ready region with this card and life equal to its
starting life. This ally is a zombie instead of what it used to be,
gets -1 bleed, cannot gain life, and may play cards that require basic
Fortitude [for] as a vampire.
[THN] As above, but with an additional life.

LSJ

May 18, 2010, 1:09:45 PM5/18/10
to vtes-...@yahoogroups.com
On May 18, 12:57 pm, Neil <drnlmul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used Pressing Flesh on an ally - and this has just been burnt.
>
> a) Can I use Compel the Spirit on the ally?

Yes.

> From the discussion about Khazar Diary wraiths (http://
> groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/
> 2bea874af5aff5b2), I suspect the answer is no, because the card in the
> ash heap doesn't represent the zombie ally that was burnt, but I'm not
> sure, especially in the case where the ally was originally a zombie.

In that thread, the card was used to represent something else.
For Pressing Flesh, the card is used as itself.

See also burning a vampire who has Clan Impersonation.

> b) Can I use Pressing Flesh on the ally?

Yes.

> I think this is possible, as the card still represents the ally that
> was originally burnt before the first Pressing Flesh was played.

Sure, but it's also the same ally that was just burned.