(LSJ) another Mask of 1000 Faces thread

François

Sep 3, 2007, 11:00:00 AM9/3/07
Hello all,

As I was researching some indications about the interaction between
M1000F and Cloak the Gathering I stumbled across this thread (that I
initiated, blame my poor memory) :

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/cf19cee7028bf271/6c9d161cd7e60fa9?lnk=gst&q=mask+cloak+author%3ALSJ&rnum=1#6c9d161cd7e60fa9

(Vampire A acts and C attempts to mask the action)

>> 2) If C had played Inspire Greatness on A before masking, he couldn't
>> have masked the action, could he ? Similarly, if C had played superior
>> Cloak the Gathering on A, could he have masked the action ?
>
>He can't Mask after playing superior Cloak, right, since he could not
>have played superior Cloak if he were the acting minion.

After re-reading Cloak cardtext :

Cloak the Gathering
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] Usable by a ready vampire other than the acting minion you
control. The acting minion gets +1 stealth.

What prevents an acting vampire to play superior Cloak the gathering
on himself ? Cloak states "Usable" instead of a restrictive "Only
usable"...
Therefore : can C, having played superior Cloak the Gathering on
acting vampire A, mask the action ?

Thank you,

François

LSJ

Sep 3, 2007, 8:49:27 PM9/3/07
François wrote:
> Cloak the Gathering
> Cardtype: Action Modifier
> Discipline: Obfuscate
> [obf] +1 stealth.
> [OBF] Usable by a ready vampire other than the acting minion you
> control. The acting minion gets +1 stealth.
>
> What prevents an acting vampire to play superior Cloak the gathering
> on himself ? Cloak states "Usable" instead of a restrictive "Only
> usable"...
> Therefore : can C, having played superior Cloak the Gathering on
> acting vampire A, mask the action ?

No. Superior is only usable by a non-acting vampire.

Bram Vink

Sep 4, 2007, 7:26:21 AM9/4/07

Similar wording:
----
Akunanse Kholo
Card Text:

Only usable during a political action. Usable by a tapped vampire.
Title.

Put this card on this Akunanse to represent the unique Laibon title of
Akunanse Kholo (worth 2 votes). Not usable if there are any older
ready untitled Akunanse. Whenever this vampire is not a ready Akunanse
or there is an older ready untitled Akunanse, move this card to (one
of) the oldest ready untitled Akunanse (if any).
----
Is this card only usable by a tapped vampire? Or can an untapped
Akunanse play this?

Followup question, of course, being:

If this card is useable by an untapped vampire, why is superior cloak
not useable by the acting vampire? Both seem like they are noting
additional options other than the norm, without adding restrictions to
that norm.
Not that, as far as I know, it makes any difference on cloak, it just
seems counterintuitive.

Cheers,
Bram

LSJ

Sep 4, 2007, 8:59:52 AM9/4/07

The latter.

> Followup question, of course, being:
>
> If this card is useable by an untapped vampire, why is superior cloak
> not useable by the acting vampire? Both seem like they are noting
> additional options other than the norm, without adding restrictions to
> that norm.
> Not that, as far as I know, it makes any difference on cloak, it just
> seems counterintuitive.

Yes.

Bram Vink

Sep 4, 2007, 9:06:45 AM9/4/07

Why is this? On every card other than cloak the gathering, the turn of
phrase 'useable by x' means 'also useable by x'.
Is cloak an exception?

Cheers,
Bram

Bram Vink

Sep 4, 2007, 9:08:52 AM9/4/07

This is assuming that your answer 'Yes' means - Yes it seems
counterintuitive, but that's how it is.
There's many ways to interpret that answer. :P

Yes, both add additional options?

Bram

Bram Vink

Sep 4, 2007, 9:37:42 AM9/4/07
On 4 sep, 14:59, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

And what I really mean to say, of course, is:

Inability of acting minions to play superior cloak the gathering seems
contrary to cardtext.

Cheers,
Bram :P

LSJ

Sep 4, 2007, 10:55:20 AM9/4/07
Bram Vink wrote:
> Why is this? On every card other than cloak the gathering, the turn of
> phrase 'useable by x' means 'also useable by x'.
> Is cloak an exception?

It is mis-written, yes. It will be corrected in the online card lists.

Jozxyqk

Sep 4, 2007, 11:19:21 AM9/4/07

If there were a hypothetical Wraith who could play cards requiring basic
necromancy, could he play Shroud Mastery on his own actions (since he counts
as a ready vampire for the purpose of playing [nec] cards)?
Or will this text need to be corrected as well?

"Usable by a ready vampire when a wraith ally you control is acting. The
acting wraith gets +1 stealth."