LSJ: Supernatural Resistance cancelling

Azel

Nov 25, 2009, 7:48:30 PM11/25/09
3 quick questions regarding this card:

1) The often-present "no cost paid" clause is not present, therefore
the cost of the cancelled card IS paid, correct?

2) Comparing with The Jones as precedent, the "and the minion chooses
another strike" clause is also not present here. Do I assume that the
clause is implicitly there? Or do I play it as it reads, play it
explicitly, and the opposing minion just lost their strike (or
defaulted to hands)? (This also relates to Charismatic Aura as well --
same clause is missing.)

3) There is no restriction on playing more than one Supernatural
Resistance in a round or combat. Again, play explicitly, you can keep
canceling strikes per round or combat as long as there is untapped
Orun?

card text reference:

Supernatural Resistance
Type: Combat/Reaction
Requires: laibon
Requires a Laibon with three or more Orun.
Tap an Orun on this Laibon to cancel an action card targeting this
Laibon or a strike card as it is played. Not usable to cancel a card
that doesn't require a Discipline or that requires Celerity [cel] or
Potence [pot]. Burn option.
Rarity: EK:C

Jones, The
Type: Combat
Requires: Serpentis
Only usable in combat with an ally or younger vampire.
[ser] Strike: dodge, with an optional press, only usable to end
combat.
[SER] Cancel the opposing minion's strike card as it is played. (No
cost is paid, and the minion chooses another strike). A vampire may
play only one The Jones at superior each round.
Rarity: FN:C2/PS2 LotN:PS3

Charismatic Aura
Type: Combat
Requires: Auspex & Presence
[aus][pre] Burn 1 blood to cancel the opposing minion's strike card or
grapple card as it is played (no cost is paid). A vampire may play
only one Charismatic Aura at inferior each round.
[AUS][PRE] Strike: combat ends.
Rarity: KoT:U

LSJ

Nov 25, 2009, 9:16:59 PM11/25/09
Azel wrote:
> 3 quick questions regarding this card [Supernatural Resistance] :

> 1) The often-present "no cost paid" clause is not present, therefore
> the cost of the cancelled card IS paid, correct?

The cost of an action is not paid until resolution.
But yes, if it is used to cancel a strike card (whose cost is paid when the card
is played), the cost is still paid.

> 2) Comparing with The Jones as precedent, the "and the minion chooses
> another strike" clause is also not present here. Do I assume that the
> clause is implicitly there?

Yes. It is just reminder text.

> Or do I play it as it reads, play it
> explicitly, and the opposing minion just lost their strike (or
> defaulted to hands)? (This also relates to Charismatic Aura as well --
> same clause is missing.)

It is not legal for a minion to choose no strike unless some effect allows him
to do so.

> 3) There is no restriction on playing more than one Supernatural
> Resistance in a round or combat. Again, play explicitly, you can keep
> canceling strikes per round or combat as long as there is untapped
> Orun?

Yes.

Kevin M.

Nov 26, 2009, 12:32:34 AM11/26/09
LSJ wrote:
> Azel wrote:
>> 3 quick questions regarding this card [Supernatural Resistance] :
>>
>> 1) The often-present "no cost paid" clause is not present, therefore
>> the cost of the cancelled card IS paid, correct?
>
> The cost of an action is not paid until resolution.
> But yes, if it is used to cancel a strike card (whose cost is paid
> when the card is played), the cost is still paid.
>
>> 2) Comparing with The Jones as precedent, the "and the minion chooses
>> another strike" clause is also not present here. Do I assume that the
>> clause is implicitly there?
>
> Yes. It is just reminder text.
>
>> Or do I play it as it reads, play it
>> explicitly, and the opposing minion just lost their strike (or
>> defaulted to hands)? (This also relates to Charismatic Aura as well
>> -- same clause is missing.)
>
> It is not legal for a minion to choose no strike unless some effect
> allows him to do so.

Why does choosing a strike which later gets canceled not count
as choosing a strike? This is very counterintuitive, and neither the
rules outline nor the rulebook state in any way that you cannot
leave the choose strike step until you have a non-canceled strike.

I'd suggest clarifying this in the next rulebook, but... :P

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
Please buy my cards! http://shop.ebay.com/kjmergen/m.html

Azel

Nov 26, 2009, 12:33:55 AM11/26/09
that was super-fast! thanks! :)

Xaddam

Nov 26, 2009, 3:40:54 AM11/26/09
4) Does the strike also have to be against the laibon playing
Supernatural Resistance? The text reads that it can cancel any strike
card, seems a bit odd to me.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Lindesberg

henrik

Nov 26, 2009, 4:03:15 AM11/26/09

It's not playable in combat as a reaction, and I think explicit card
text is needed for it to be played as a combat card by a vampire not
currently in combat. But Majesty in such should be cancellable even if
they don't exactly target the laibon.

LSJ

Nov 26, 2009, 7:53:22 AM11/26/09
Kevin M. wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>> Azel wrote:
>>> 3 quick questions regarding this card [Supernatural Resistance] :
>>>
>>> 1) The often-present "no cost paid" clause is not present, therefore
>>> the cost of the cancelled card IS paid, correct?
>> The cost of an action is not paid until resolution.
>> But yes, if it is used to cancel a strike card (whose cost is paid
>> when the card is played), the cost is still paid.
>>
>>> 2) Comparing with The Jones as precedent, the "and the minion chooses
>>> another strike" clause is also not present here. Do I assume that the
>>> clause is implicitly there?
>> Yes. It is just reminder text.
>>
>>> Or do I play it as it reads, play it
>>> explicitly, and the opposing minion just lost their strike (or
>>> defaulted to hands)? (This also relates to Charismatic Aura as well
>>> -- same clause is missing.)
>> It is not legal for a minion to choose no strike unless some effect
>> allows him to do so.
>
> Why does choosing a strike which later gets canceled not count
> as choosing a strike?

It doesn't "later" get canceled. The card (not the strike) gets canceled as the
card is played, preventing the minion from choosing his strike.

Like canceling an action card doesn't count as taking an action.

> This is very counterintuitive, and neither the
> rules outline nor the rulebook state in any way that you cannot
> leave the choose strike step until you have a non-canceled strike.

This is very intuitive: if you attempt to choose a strike but the card gets
canceled, you haven't chosen a strike.

See also canceling an action card.

LSJ

Nov 26, 2009, 7:54:24 AM11/26/09
henrik wrote:
> On Nov 26, 9:40 am, Xaddam <xad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4) Does the strike also have to be against the laibon playing
>> Supernatural Resistance? The text reads that it can cancel any strike
>> card, seems a bit odd to me.
>
> It's not playable in combat as a reaction, and I think explicit card
> text is needed for it to be played as a combat card by a vampire not
> currently in combat.

Correct.

> But Majesty in such should be cancellable even if
> they don't exactly target the laibon.

Correct.

Tetragrammaton

Nov 26, 2009, 2:56:36 PM11/26/09

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Azel wrote:
>> 3 quick questions regarding this card [Supernatural Resistance] :
>>
>> 1) The often-present "no cost paid" clause is not present, therefore
>> the cost of the cancelled card IS paid, correct?
>
> The cost of an action is not paid until resolution.
> But yes, if it is used to cancel a strike card (whose cost is paid when
> the card is played), the cost is still paid.

Imho, it would be much better to to make it equal to direct intervention and
the like.
That is, canceling a card with a cost should make its cost canceled as well,
as a general rule.

just my two cents

Emiliano