Who wants a free set of Sabbat?

4 vues

hamdamcwa

non lue,
6 mars 2002, 11:52:5006/03/2002
I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards. I am willing to
stick them up for a prize at a later event this year in the UK. The
question is... what to do?

So far I have had a couple of ideas and some suggestions offered to me
(including "give them to me..." from a few people. Ha. Ha.):

1) A V:TES Marathon - 12 or 24 hours of play with the person with the
most VPs at the end winnning.

2) A bizarre Deck Auction was suggested - each player produces a
decklist and people make bids on who gets to play it - the bids being
the size of the handicap: e.g. Someone offers last years' National Cup
final winning deck (Eurobrujah by Rob Treasure) up and the bidding
goes down from 30 initial pool to 29, 28, 27, etc. Winning bid is,
say, 20 starting pool.

If a deck is really bad, and no-one wants it, the starting pool goes
UP!!!

As such, there is a clear handicap. A nice idea, if a bit tricky to
do...

3) Fancy Dress. Hmmmm....

Anyway, I'm on the scrounge for more ideas. Any got 'em?

DH

Andrew S. Davidson

non lue,
6 mars 2002, 14:13:4806/03/2002
On 6 Mar 2002 08:52:50 Dave wrote:

>I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards.

Ah, so it was you that cleaned out those Welsh folk was it?

>I am willing to stick them up for a prize at a later event
>this year in the UK. The question is... what to do?

A handsome offer. A winner-takes-all format is likely to get ugly and
would likely be a case of the rich getting richer. The players in the
final would probably start cutting deals over a share of the prize - a
big turn-off AFAIC. A more even spread would be desirable if you want
to attract folk other than the usual suspects.

How about an Ante format? All the rares from the Sabbat set would be
taken out and one of them would be given to each player in each game
as their random ante card. And the cards which have ante effects
should be legal rather than being banned. Cunctator Motion would be
good fun as it stands though High Stakes and Playing for Keeps need a
bit of tweaking to make them work within the format (new ante cards
should come from the prize pool not the deck).

Five of the plum cards (the ones not reprinted in SW) should be kept
back as the ante cards for the finalists so that they have some
especially interesting to play for.

If there are 100 rares in the set then the numbers should work out
about right if you get 30 players and play the usual 3 rounds + final
format. The winner of the event can perhaps be left with the residue
that wasn't anted (commons, uncommons and vampires). Which is not to
be sniffed at, right?

Andrew

James Coupe

non lue,
6 mars 2002, 14:31:4706/03/2002
In message <6A132717F23D2899.6480D96D...@lp.airnew

s.net>, Andrew S. Davidson <a...@csi.com> writes:
>A handsome offer. A winner-takes-all format is likely to get ugly and
>would likely be a case of the rich getting richer.

This assumes you need lots of cards to compete. Once you have a fairly
small investment in cards, you can build and create many extremely
competitive decks.

--
James Coupe Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
PGP 0x5D623D5D And the rich folks hate the poor folks.

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
6 mars 2002, 20:11:0706/03/2002
dave...@hotmail.com (hamdamcwa) wrote in message news:<9e10847c.02030...@posting.google.com>...

> I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards. I am willing to
> stick them up for a prize at a later event this year in the UK. The
> question is... what to do?

*looks up plane tix to London... turns on DOM*
"You meant US, right?"

Doh.

> 1) A V:TES Marathon - 12 or 24 hours of play with the person with the
> most VPs at the end winnning.

Hoses intercept decks (wouldn't be able to play as many games).

> 2) A bizarre Deck Auction was suggested - each player produces a
> decklist and people make bids on who gets to play it - the bids being
> the size of the handicap: e.g. Someone offers last years' National Cup
> final winning deck (Eurobrujah by Rob Treasure) up and the bidding
> goes down from 30 initial pool to 29, 28, 27, etc. Winning bid is,
> say, 20 starting pool.

Interesting idea, hard to execute.

> If a deck is really bad, and no-one wants it, the starting pool goes
> UP!!!

laf

A "make this card work" tournament. Players must include at least 8
copies of some bad card in their deck. 3 Rounds plus final, with a
modified ranking scheme. First determinant of rank is Table Wins in
games where the player played the bad card/cards, second is Table Wins
(total), third is VP, fourth is Tournament Points.

The short list of bad cards players can choose from:

Carrion Coffin
Compel the Spirit
Consecration Rites
Cull the Herd
Death Pact
Grasp the Ghostly
Guard Duty
Haunt
Of Noble Blood
Patagia: Flaps Allowing Limited Flight
Phobia
Purity of the Beast
Release of the Shackled Soul
Sixth Tradition: Destruction, The
Summon the Abyss
Vaulderie
Violation of Trust
Wave of Insanity
Amria
Blessing of Durga Syn
Far Fatuus
Channeling the Beast
Mercy for the Weak
Nosferatu Putrescence
Orgy of Blood
SAVE FACE
Tortured Confession
Beyond Reproach
Purchase Pact
Absolution of the Diabolist
Any clan hoser
Betrayer
Bureaucratic Overload
Sacre Cour Cathedral, France
San Nicolas de los Servitas
Submachine Gun
Smoke Grenade
Dartmoor, England
Ruins of Villers Abbey, Belgium
Faithful Servant
Dog Pack
Hell Hound
Mehemet of the Ahl-i-Batin (Mage)
Tutu the Doubly Evil One (Bane Mummy)

Feel free to modify

Thomas Pichler

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 03:29:4307/03/2002
hamdamcwa wrote:

> I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards. I am willing to
> stick them up for a prize at a later event this year in the UK. The
> question is... what to do?

Well, obviously, a complete set of Sabbat would make a great prize for
this year's EC. [Just felt like stating the obvious... it's not what I'd
recommend though.]

Personally, I liked Andrew S. Davidson's suggestion of spreading the
goodies, which could be modified as needed, maybe including a "door prize"
for showing up to the event in the first place - Sabbat only vampires and
uncommons, maybe, which veteran players don't really need that badly, but
which would make great "cool, look what I got for showing up to this
event" cards for players that didn't take up the game until WW times
[obviously, if you don't expect any, this would be pointless].

If you'd prefer to put the complete set up for grabs for a tournament
winner, a "lousy deck format" might be an idea that gives everyone the
same (lousy) chances... ban any cards you consider too good (no Governs
for once), and put card limits on everything else... maybe make the
inclusion of a set number of "useless" cards mandatory. If you do that,
use Shaun McIsaac's list modified as suits your fancy; don't insist on x
copies of the same card (8 Patagias aren't all that easy to get), just
insist on something like 10-20% of the deck being cards from the list.
[If you're expecting players that didn't take up VTES until WW times,
you'd have to allow them to use proxies for this purpose... if you didn't,
your tournament would be biased against Sabbat clans since a large
fraction of the "useless cards" these players have easy access too are
Sabbat clan hosers, particularly the four starter-fixed ones.]

The "lousy deck format" could even be combined with the bizarre deck
auction to make things more, uh, bizarre... but I guess that would be a
logistical nightmare.

Thomas

Emile Bosman

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 04:14:2907/03/2002

I know this is a bit off topic but why would you consider these cards
bad because you don't play them??
I mean cards like Partagia have you ever been up against a Nossie long
range deck that has a Partagia and an IRg and the Dog Pack is a very
good card albeit a bit expensive though, but it's all Gangrel have
against combat ends.

But the idea of a Vampire Marathon is kinda cool ecspecially when you
can win Sabbat cards let me know when you're planning on doing such a
thing in Holland

Emile

Tony

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 04:26:2607/03/2002
Andrew S. Davidson <a...@csi.com> wrote in message >

The players in the
> final would probably start cutting deals over a share of the prize - a
> big turn-off AFAIC. A more even spread would be desirable if you want
> to attract folk other than the usual suspects.

Ahh, Andy boy, the respect you have for the better English V:TES
players is awesome.
If it makes you feel any better, if I was in this final playing for a
set of Sabbat and someone offered me a deal to split the prize, I'd
tell them to fuck the fuck off.

Tony

Literary Thug

Barny Baker

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 04:29:4607/03/2002
Andrew S. Davidson <a...@csi.com> wrote in message news:<6A132717F23D2899.6480D96D...@lp.airnews.net>...

As much abuse I give you Andrew, that is a GREAT idea, when you knock
someone out you get their card, people who don't make the final get
some great cards and the finalists play it out for some really cool
stuff.

Daz

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 04:46:3407/03/2002
smci...@onesourcecorp.com (Shaun McIsaac) wrote in message news:<8f507d2e.02030...@posting.google.com>...
> Guard Duty

> Tutu the Doubly Evil One (Bane Mummy)
Tutu is not a bad ally! And Guard duty fits well in intercept decks
(at least I always use it in my intercept decks and it works well,
although I never use 8 of them ;) )

Pepijn

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 05:54:0207/03/2002
dave...@hotmail.com (hamdamcwa) wrote in message news:<9e10847c.02030...@posting.google.com>...
> I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards. I am willing to
> stick them up for a prize at a later event this year in the UK. The
> question is... what to do?
>
> So far I have had a couple of ideas and some suggestions offered to me
> (including "give them to me..." from a few people. Ha. Ha.):
>
> 1) A V:TES Marathon - 12 or 24 hours of play with the person with the
> most VPs at the end winnning.
>
> 2) A bizarre Deck Auction was suggested - each player produces a
> decklist and people make bids on who gets to play it - the bids being
> the size of the handicap: e.g. Someone offers last years' National Cup
> final winning deck (Eurobrujah by Rob Treasure) up and the bidding
> goes down from 30 initial pool to 29, 28, 27, etc. Winning bid is,
> say, 20 starting pool.

Why not go for a draft situation? Just slightly altered by lack of
boosters, but you can make your own rarity distrubtion.

I liked the ante way aswell, but I guess that would be rather
complicated.

I think you should not have a winner takes all approach though. It
will get ugly.

legbiter

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 09:47:5607/03/2002
<snip>

Cracking idea for the handicap, but i have lOTS of isues with your
list. Betrayer is an absolutely BRILLIANT card!!! Crypt: All the
vampires. Library: Betrayer, Recruitment, Parthenon, apparatus for
calling bribed Rumors of Gehenna. Hell hound is also a dam' fine card.
Mercy for the weak is a terrific card. Cull the herd is one of the
best cards in the game! In the right deck, Compel the Spirit is great.

Patrick van der Reest

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 10:34:5407/03/2002
"Emile Bosman" <ebo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > A "make this card work" tournament. Players must include at least 8
> > copies of some bad card in their deck. 3 Rounds plus final, with a
> > modified ranking scheme. First determinant of rank is Table Wins in
> > games where the player played the bad card/cards, second is Table Wins
> > (total), third is VP, fourth is Tournament Points.
> >
> > Carrion Coffin

This one's great in a Malkavian-protean Madnes Network deck. Of course, my
ideal is to Clan Impersonate Masika so I can do away with the silly protean
angle (much as I love the discipline), then bleed every Methuselah's turn :)

> But the idea of a Vampire Marathon is kinda cool ecspecially when you
> can win Sabbat cards let me know when you're planning on doing such a
> thing in Holland
>
> Emile

Goes for me as well. I'd happily host it here at the gaming club, there's
easily room for four tables :). We might get the Theatre Cafe just opposite
as well, given that we're a student's club (officially), then we would have
snacks, drinks, a very nice 'classy' place and room for 40+! No guarantees,
the Cafe has to be available, but it's often possible on sundays to get it
for activities.

Patrick
Enschede

Jon Stahler

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 15:22:1807/03/2002
Just wondering if this concept is worth trying:

Let's say I'm playing Tzimisce (or any sabbat clan for that matter), control
Powerbase New York with 3 blood on it and I have Guard duty on one of my
ready vamps for the powerbase. Another players minion attempts to steal the
blood on the powerbase. Can the Guard Duty vampire pay the blood to untap
and attempt to block with +1 intercept? The (D) action is against the
methusalah, but is it specifically toward that location? Granted the
counters are on the location, but I just wanted to clarify.

Similarly, can you burn a haunt on the powerbase or any other such location
to cause the (D) action to steal the blood to fail? I realize both cards
can be used in defense of stealing or burning the location itself, but
didn't know about the blood on the location.

If so, I've not been giving these two cards the credit they deserve...

LSJ

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 15:24:5007/03/2002
Jon Stahler wrote:

> Just wondering if this concept is worth trying:
>
> Let's say I'm playing Tzimisce (or any sabbat clan for that matter), control
> Powerbase New York with 3 blood on it and I have Guard duty on one of my
> ready vamps for the powerbase. Another players minion attempts to steal the
> blood on the powerbase. Can the Guard Duty vampire pay the blood to untap
> and attempt to block with +1 intercept?

If he needs the intercept.

> The (D) action is against the
> methusalah, but is it specifically toward that location? Granted the
> counters are on the location, but I just wanted to clarify.

Yes.

> Similarly, can you burn a haunt on the powerbase or any other such location
> to cause the (D) action to steal the blood to fail?

Yes.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Jon Stahler

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 15:25:3907/03/2002

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> Jon Stahler wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering if this concept is worth trying:
> >
> > Let's say I'm playing Tzimisce (or any sabbat clan for that matter),
control
> > Powerbase New York with 3 blood on it and I have Guard duty on one of my
> > ready vamps for the powerbase. Another players minion attempts to steal
the
> > blood on the powerbase. Can the Guard Duty vampire pay the blood to
untap
> > and attempt to block with +1 intercept?
>
> If he needs the intercept.
>
> > The (D) action is against the
> > methusalah, but is it specifically toward that location? Granted the
> > counters are on the location, but I just wanted to clarify.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Similarly, can you burn a haunt on the powerbase or any other such
location
> > to cause the (D) action to steal the blood to fail?
>
> Yes.

WOOOOOO HOOOOO! New angle...too bad smiling jack isn't a location...

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 15:53:5607/03/2002
ebo...@hotmail.com (Emile Bosman) wrote in message news:<cbf416fb.0203...@posting.google.com>...

> I know this is a bit off topic but why would you consider these cards
> bad because you don't play them??

No, because they're just flat out bad.
Many of them have other cards that do the same thing with less cost,
or a greater effect. E.g. rather than tapping an ally at zero stealth
you could take control of him at +1 stealth. Then there's stuff like
Save Face, which just makes zero sense...

> I mean cards like Partagia have you ever been up against a Nossie long
> range deck that has a Partagia and an IRg

Rather than getting Patagia, you could get an IR goggle (which is free
instead of 1 blood), or usually even better, a gun. If you want to
manuever, use Aide from Bats or Behind You. If one manuever per round
isn't enough, play terror frenzy.

> and the Dog Pack is a very
> good card albeit a bit expensive though, but it's all Gangrel have
> against combat ends.

No, it isn't. There are seven gangrel with pot, which gives you
immortal grapple. Additionally, if your gangrel are blocking, claw +
rotschreck shuts down S:CE (and dodge, and everything else).

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 15:59:5507/03/2002
"Patrick van der Reest" <te...@paalhuis.org> wrote in message news:<a681k5$avk$1...@dinkel.civ.utwente.nl>...

> "Emile Bosman" <ebo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > A "make this card work" tournament. Players must include at least 8
> > > copies of some bad card in their deck. 3 Rounds plus final, with a
> > > modified ranking scheme. First determinant of rank is Table Wins in
> > > games where the player played the bad card/cards, second is Table Wins
> > > (total), third is VP, fourth is Tournament Points.
> > >
> > > Carrion Coffin
>
> This one's great in a Malkavian-protean Madnes Network deck. Of course, my
> ideal is to Clan Impersonate Masika so I can do away with the silly protean
> angle (much as I love the discipline), then bleed every Methuselah's turn :)

Homonculous is better; the coffin can be burned as a D action, while
retainers rarely die. Also, at inferior pro, getting the homonculous
is already +1 stealth.
This means that there is another card which is *almost* directly
superior... so I'd say that qualifies it as sufficiently bad. Oh,
consealed weapon could theoretically make the list as well on those
grounds, but since most of the time CW and DW are used for equipment
that can be used equally well with either one, it's not.

Halcyan 2

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 16:07:4007/03/2002
>Homonculous is better; the coffin can be burned as a D action, while
>retainers rarely die. Also, at inferior pro, getting the homonculous
>is already +1 stealth.
>This means that there is another card which is *almost* directly
>superior... so I'd say that qualifies it as sufficiently bad.

Yeah, but since Homonculus is a retainer, it can be stolen. And it might be
easier to defend a (D) action against the Coffin than it is to defend against
ranged damage against the retainer.

In addition, some intercept decks might prefer the Coffin because it might
entice opponents to take actions against him (so he can then block).

Also some vampires (say Beast) can use the Coffin but not the Homonculus.

Halcyan 2

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 16:23:2307/03/2002
legb...@mailandnews.com (legbiter) wrote in message news:<22fea992.0203...@posting.google.com>...

> <snip>
>
> Cracking idea for the handicap, but i have lOTS of isues with your
> list. Betrayer is an absolutely BRILLIANT card!!! Crypt: All the
> vampires. Library: Betrayer, Recruitment, Parthenon, apparatus for
> calling bribed Rumors of Gehenna.

Dude.

There's a full set of Sabbat on the line and you want to build the
Betrayer deck?
If you can get the # of MPAs to make the deck work, you normally would
be better off with building an Anarch Revolt deck.
I'm not saying the card isn't fun - some of those cards have great fun
value. Just dealing with power levels here.

> Hell hound is also a dam' fine card.

It. cost. 2. pool.
If it had like, bigger hand damage, or a manuever, or something, it
would be upgraded to simply 'below average'... the card is just
terrible.

> Mercy for the weak is a terrific card.

This I need explained.

Mercy for the weak
2 blood
Strike: combat ends. Only usable if this vampire has more blood than
the opposing vampire. Opposing vampire gains 1 blood (remove excess
blood).

S:CE and give the opponent 1 blood, and it cost 2? Wonderful. I'm
trying to think of exactly which clans combat defense was so lacking
that they needed this card, yet they'd have the massive blood
throughput to sustain it. Even the Malks could just get a disguised
SNS or 44.

> Cull the herd is one of the
> best cards in the game!

Cull the Herd
1 blood
+1 stealth action. (D) Look at another Methuselah's hand. That
Methuselah discards all ally or retainer cards in his or her hand. The
acting vampire gains 1 blood from the blood bank for each card
discarded in this way.

It's an ally / retainer hoser that doesn't even work once an
ally/retainer is in play. Yup. Great stuff, and it cost a blood.

> In the right deck, Compel the Spirit is great.

Compel the Spirit
1 blood
+1 stealth action. Only usable if a retainer or ally you control has
been burned since your last turn. [nec] Move the card from your ash
heap to your hand. [NEC] Move the card from your ash heap to your
ready region, even if this vampire doesn't meet the requirements, if
any, of the card (use the normal version if it requires a Discipline).
Move X life counters from the blood bank to the card, where X is the
number of life printed on the card. If a retainer is chosen, it must
be placed on the acting minion.

The inferior is pretty pointless as you'd be better off with Whispers
from the Dead. The superior is somewhat interesting as a method of
getting back dead allies/retainers without the cost. But the card
itself cost a blood, so the net savings is very rarely worthwhile; you
could just play another copy of the ally/retainer in question, which
would be usable even if there was no copy of it burned since your last
turn.
It would be one thing if you could take this card and summon 10
costless war ghouls or some ####. You can't.

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 16:31:3507/03/2002
wb...@hotmail.com (Daz) wrote in message news:<b57b2dc9.02030...@posting.google.com>...

> smci...@onesourcecorp.com (Shaun McIsaac) wrote in message news:<8f507d2e.02030...@posting.google.com>...
> > Guard Duty
> > Tutu the Doubly Evil One (Bane Mummy)
> Tutu is not a bad ally!

He cost four pool, and dies to a torn signpost / IG. Among other
things.

> And Guard duty fits well in intercept decks
> (at least I always use it in my intercept decks and it works well,
> although I never use 8 of them ;) )

Generally an intercept deck shouldn't need to protect locations like
this.
If you're Sabbat, Eternal Vigilance would almost always be better.
If you're a prince, 2nd trads.
If you're anyone else, wake. You don't get +1 intercept, but its
useful vs any action. Sure, it's not repeatable, but you don't have
to count on the GD being successful.

And just what is worth GD'ing anyway?

Chris Berger

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 16:37:3807/03/2002

"Shaun McIsaac" <smci...@onesourcecorp.com> wrote in message

> ebo...@hotmail.com (Emile Bosman) wrote in message
>
> No, because they're just flat out bad.
> Many of them have other cards that do the same thing with less cost,
> or a greater effect. E.g. rather than tapping an ally at zero stealth
> you could take control of him at +1 stealth. Then there's stuff like
> Save Face, which just makes zero sense...

Save Face isn't so bad for Tremere and Assamites. Sure, both clans have presses from
in-clan disciplines. But the gain back a blood aspect never hurts. Can also be
useful if you, for some unknown reason, want to use Torment the Soul, especially if a
lot of your vamps don't have Potence for Relentless Pursuit (which costs a blood) or
Mighty Grapple. Also usable by mono-Animalism Embrace decks... not that I've ever
seen one or even thought of one until this very moment.

> > I mean cards like Partagia have you ever been up against a Nossie long
> > range deck that has a Partagia and an IRg
>
> Rather than getting Patagia, you could get an IR goggle (which is free
> instead of 1 blood), or usually even better, a gun. If you want to
> manuever, use Aide from Bats or Behind You. If one manuever per round
> isn't enough, play terror frenzy.

Basically IR Goggle is just way better than Patagia. The only caveat is that Patagia
can't be stolen. Not enough reason to play with it, even if it didn't require a
clan.

> > and the Dog Pack is a very
> > good card albeit a bit expensive though, but it's all Gangrel have
> > against combat ends.
>
> No, it isn't. There are seven gangrel with pot, which gives you
> immortal grapple. Additionally, if your gangrel are blocking, claw +
> rotschreck shuts down S:CE (and dodge, and everything else).

Playing Gangrel w/Potence often leads you to very large vampires. Protean weenies
with Dog Packs can be rather deadly. Still a bad card, but not terrible.

Joshua Duffin

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 16:44:5707/03/2002

"Shaun McIsaac" <smci...@onesourcecorp.com> wrote in message
> legb...@mailandnews.com (legbiter) wrote in message
> > <snip>
> >
> > Cracking idea for the handicap, but i have lOTS of isues with your
> > list. Betrayer is an absolutely BRILLIANT card!!! Crypt: All the
> > vampires. Library: Betrayer, Recruitment, Parthenon, apparatus for
> > calling bribed Rumors of Gehenna.
>
> Dude.
>
> There's a full set of Sabbat on the line and you want to build the
> Betrayer deck?
> If you can get the # of MPAs to make the deck work, you normally would
> be better off with building an Anarch Revolt deck.
> I'm not saying the card isn't fun - some of those cards have great fun
> value. Just dealing with power levels here.

Maybe you have the Secret Key hidden somewhere, but
Anarch Revolt decks usually suck at winning in my
experience. They're real good at giving away VPs to
other players, though.

> > Hell hound is also a dam' fine card.
>
> It. cost. 2. pool.
> If it had like, bigger hand damage, or a manuever, or something, it
> would be upgraded to simply 'below average'... the card is just
> terrible.

It's not as bad as Werewolf Pack. It does regenerate.
Weak, yes, but not that bad.

> > Mercy for the weak is a terrific card.
>
> This I need explained.
>
> Mercy for the weak
> 2 blood
> Strike: combat ends. Only usable if this vampire has more blood than
> the opposing vampire. Opposing vampire gains 1 blood (remove excess
> blood).
>
> S:CE and give the opponent 1 blood, and it cost 2? Wonderful. I'm
> trying to think of exactly which clans combat defense was so lacking
> that they needed this card, yet they'd have the massive blood
> throughput to sustain it. Even the Malks could just get a disguised
> SNS or 44.

This I pretty much agree with. Almost everybody can
have better combat defense than Mercy for the Weak.
Though a gun is not *always* better combat defense.

> > Cull the herd is one of the
> > best cards in the game!
>
> Cull the Herd
> 1 blood
> +1 stealth action. (D) Look at another Methuselah's hand. That
> Methuselah discards all ally or retainer cards in his or her hand. The
> acting vampire gains 1 blood from the blood bank for each card
> discarded in this way.
>
> It's an ally / retainer hoser that doesn't even work once an
> ally/retainer is in play. Yup. Great stuff, and it cost a blood.

But there aren't any other ways to look at people's hands
for as *little* as one blood, without having Auspex or
Le Dinh Tho or Animalism (or having sent them to torpor
for Tortured Confession). I'm sure that's the part that
Legbiter likes.

> > In the right deck, Compel the Spirit is great.

> The inferior is pretty pointless as you'd be better off with Whispers

> from the Dead. The superior is somewhat interesting as a method of
> getting back dead allies/retainers without the cost. But the card
> itself cost a blood, so the net savings is very rarely worthwhile; you
> could just play another copy of the ally/retainer in question, which
> would be usable even if there was no copy of it burned since your last
> turn.
> It would be one thing if you could take this card and summon 10
> costless war ghouls or some ####. You can't.

No, but you can revive your 5 pool Renegade Garous if by
chance they get capped (and they often enough do). One
blood's a lot less than 5 pool. Nice on Muddled Vampire
Hunter too. Note that the Compelled ally can act the
same turn he gets Compelled (since it's moved directly
to the ready region).

Josh

cap-a-donna

X_Zealot

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 22:37:3007/03/2002
> Also some vampires (say Beast) can use the Coffin but not the Homonculus.

No Beast cannot.

Ability: Beast cannot perform ###action-card actions### or recruit allies.
He cannot have or use equipment or retainers. As a (D) action, Beast may
enter combat with any ready minion controlled by another Methuselah. +1
strength.

The Nosferatu Stuff

non lue,
7 mars 2002, 22:38:3707/03/2002
"Joshua Duffin" <jtdu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Maybe you have the Secret Key hidden somewhere, but
> Anarch Revolt decks usually suck at winning in my
> experience. They're real good at giving away VPs to
> other players, though.

The secret key to playing an Anarch Revolt Deck:
1) several MPA
2) a way to keep your prey from bloating you out of the game
3) a good wall
4) Life Boon
--
Aaron
The Nosferatu Stuff

Wes

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 03:49:5208/03/2002

"The Nosferatu Stuff" <roans...@yahoo.com> wrote

> The secret key to playing an Anarch Revolt Deck:
> 1) several MPA
> 2) a way to keep your prey from bloating you out of the game
> 3) a good wall
> 4) Life Boon

I would say the best way to play with Anarch Revolts is with extreme speed.
If I know my deck can start doing serious damage to my prey in the first few
turns but most other decks will need time to set up... I am at a distinct
advantage.

Anarch Revolts are the key to my weenie politics deck. I don't use any of
the 4 you mention above.

Cheers,
WES

Daz

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 08:37:0408/03/2002
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3C87CC92...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Can the Guard Duty vampire pay the blood to untap
> > and attempt to block with +1 intercept?
>
> If he needs the intercept.

So he cannot burn 1 blood just to untap? Or do you only get the +1
intercept if the action minion has already played a stealth modifier.
(Like in most other cases, barring read the winds and 2nd tradition)

LSJ

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 08:50:3708/03/2002
Daz wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3C87CC92...@white-wolf.com>...
> > > Can the Guard Duty vampire pay the blood to untap
> > > and attempt to block with +1 intercept?
> >
> > If he needs the intercept.
>
> So he cannot burn 1 blood just to untap?

Right.

> Or do you only get the +1
> intercept if the action minion has already played a stealth modifier.
> (Like in most other cases, barring read the winds and 2nd tradition)

What other cases?

Joshua Duffin

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 09:28:0708/03/2002

"The Nosferatu Stuff" <roans...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I've heard about all of these. As far as I've seen,
you need not just a good wall but a nigh-invulnerable
one, with bloat to fuel your (hoped-to-be-in-hand-at-
the-right-time) Life Boons. (1) and (2) are probably
the easiest pieces, since you usually just need a few
Parthenons and Rumors or Ansons plus Sudden Reversals
to make those happen. It's avoiding excessive cross-
table ousts - and avoiding getting ousted by your own
Anarch Revolts - that seem to me to be the hard parts.

In a fast bleed or vote deck, you probably don't run
into these problems as much, but those aren't really
Anarch Revolt decks in my mind, but just fast bleed or
vote decks that have a few Anarch Revolts thrown in.
A real Anarch Revolt deck is built around Anarchs and
has enough of them in to get 3-4 on the table if it
wants to. (If you just have a few thrown in, it's not
nearly as disruptive to the table... or as suicidal.
:-)

Josh

the anarchs are revolting
(of course they are!)

Shaun McIsaac

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 12:42:3708/03/2002
"Joshua Duffin" <jtdu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<a68n0s$cli8v$1...@ID-121616.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Shaun McIsaac" <smci...@onesourcecorp.com> wrote in message
> Maybe you have the Secret Key hidden somewhere, but
> Anarch Revolt decks usually suck at winning in my
> experience. They're real good at giving away VPs to
> other players, though.

Pure Anarch revolt, yes. But they can useful in helping out a deck...
usually a weenie deck. It's pretty hard for most decks to stop
HackerSquad, Proteolicious, or CyberCaitiff - type designs from
ousting them as their first prey. But, a deck with good defensive
options can slow it down enough that they won't be able to get the
momentum to sweep/TW. Anarchs can help as you'll get

> > > Hell hound is also a dam' fine card.
> > It. cost. 2. pool.
> > If it had like, bigger hand damage, or a manuever, or something, it
> > would be upgraded to simply 'below average'... the card is just
> > terrible.
> It's not as bad as Werewolf Pack.

WP can act. Though it's admittedly also ####ty

> This I pretty much agree with. Almost everybody can
> have better combat defense than Mercy for the Weak.
> Though a gun is not *always* better combat defense.

True, but in most of the cases where the gun isn't desirable, Dodge!
would have been.

> > > Cull the herd is one of the
> > > best cards in the game!
> >
> > Cull the Herd
> > 1 blood
> > +1 stealth action. (D) Look at another Methuselah's hand. That
> > Methuselah discards all ally or retainer cards in his or her hand. The
> > acting vampire gains 1 blood from the blood bank for each card
> > discarded in this way.
> >
> > It's an ally / retainer hoser that doesn't even work once an
> > ally/retainer is in play. Yup. Great stuff, and it cost a blood.
>
> But there aren't any other ways to look at people's hands
> for as *little* as one blood, without having Auspex or
> Le Dinh Tho or Animalism (or having sent them to torpor
> for Tortured Confession). I'm sure that's the part that
> Legbiter likes.

Perhaps, but looking at someones hand, especially in a transient
fashion, is very weak mechanic.

> > > In the right deck, Compel the Spirit is great.
>
> > The inferior is pretty pointless as you'd be better off with Whispers
> > from the Dead. The superior is somewhat interesting as a method of
> > getting back dead allies/retainers without the cost. But the card
> > itself cost a blood, so the net savings is very rarely worthwhile; you
> > could just play another copy of the ally/retainer in question, which
> > would be usable even if there was no copy of it burned since your last
> > turn.
> > It would be one thing if you could take this card and summon 10
> > costless war ghouls or some ####. You can't.
>
> No, but you can revive your 5 pool Renegade Garous if by
> chance they get capped (and they often enough do). One
> blood's a lot less than 5 pool.

Giovanni - Gangrel deck? Again, too many moving parts, and while the
second Garou is cheaper, you still had to cough up the original 5.

> Nice on Muddled Vampire
> Hunter too.

You only save one pool/blood -- it's reasonable to assume that most
decks are going to pack at least some blood dolls, minion taps, or
tribute to the master. So you *might* get a discount on Muddles if
you can have this card in hard at all times. But, you could just have
a second Muddles.

It's not for a lack of trying.. people have tried to make ash heap
recursion techniques work, from a variety of angles. Unfortunately,
anything more spectacular than simple use of Carlotta's special,
Whispers, or Potchli's special just ends in failure.

> Note that the Compelled ally can act the
> same turn he gets Compelled (since it's moved directly
> to the ready region).

Hrm, just read the rules section regarding that. It does say that
recruited allies go to your uncontrolled region even though they are
controlled, but it also says: "An ally cannot take any actions on the
turn he is recruited." The wording of the rule indicates that putting
them in the uncontrolled region is a reminder that they can't act.
I'm not certain being in the ready region is enough to allow a
compelled ally to act. LSJ?

Daz

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 13:18:1008/03/2002
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3C88C1AD...@white-wolf.com>...

> Daz wrote:
>
> > Or do you only get the +1
> > intercept if the action minion has already played a stealth modifier.
> > (Like in most other cases, barring read the winds and 2nd tradition)
>
> What other cases?

Like when you untap or play wake cards and cannot play intercept
untill the action has been stealth modified.

So to get the full benefits of this card you need another untapped
minion to block the action first, and if a stealth modifier is played
then you can use guard duty too untap and get the intercept.

James Coupe

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 13:33:1508/03/2002
In message <b57b2dc9.0203...@posting.google.com>, Daz

<wb...@hotmail.com> writes:
>> > Or do you only get the +1
>> > intercept if the action minion has already played a stealth modifier.
>> > (Like in most other cases, barring read the winds and 2nd tradition)
>>
>> What other cases?
>
>Like when you untap or play wake cards and cannot play intercept
>untill the action has been stealth modified.

This is not a parallel case, since the two effects are entirely
separate.

--
James Coupe Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
PGP 0x5D623D5D And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 All of my folks hate all of your folks,
13D7E668C3695D623D5D It's American as apple pie.

LSJ

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 15:15:5108/03/2002

?

> So to get the full benefits of this card you need another untapped
> minion to block the action first, and if a stealth modifier is played
> then you can use guard duty too untap and get the intercept.

Right. Or other corner cases like a minion with an inherent +1
stealth (or a guard with an inherent -1 intercept).

Chris Berger

non lue,
8 mars 2002, 16:18:2108/03/2002

"Daz" <wb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> So to get the full benefits of this card you need another untapped
> minion to block the action first, and if a stealth modifier is played
> then you can use guard duty too untap and get the intercept.

Ouch. Yeah, I always thought the card was a little underpowered (but only a little
bit so)... I guess this revelation (I should have known already, but somehow never
thought about it) throws it in with Twisting the Knife. What a waste. =P

It's funny though, every time I see someone play a Guard Duty on a location, it gets
Disputed Territory'd, or even (twice!) Unnatural Disaster'd. That's right -
Unnatural Disaster... I had no idea anyone even played with that card anymore.

TigToad

non lue,
20 mars 2002, 12:13:2420/03/2002
I apologize if this got mentioned elsewhere... but a great way to
distribute a great prize like this is to shuffle the set and randomly
distribute it.

Normal tourney... mild entry fee maybe to cover the cost of other prizes
or the set. ($3 a person?). Everyone gets say 5-10 cards for playing.
(Depending on how many people you have). Then first gets a decent stack
40-50 cards.. second gets 25.. or however the numbers work out for your
tourney. Everyone gets a chance at an OOP vampire or hard to find
rare. Just a thought.

Daniel/TigToad

Thomas Pichler wrote:

> hamdamcwa wrote:
>
> > I have recently got hold of a set of Sabbat cards. I am willing to
> > stick them up for a prize at a later event this year in the UK. The
> > question is... what to do?
> >

> Well, obviously, a complete set of Sabbat would make a great prize for
> this year's EC. [Just felt like stating the obvious... it's not what I'd
> recommend though.]
>
> Personally, I liked Andrew S. Davidson's suggestion of spreading the
> goodies, which could be modified as needed, maybe including a "door prize"
> for showing up to the event in the first place - Sabbat only vampires and
> uncommons, maybe, which veteran players don't really need that badly, but
> which would make great "cool, look what I got for showing up to this
> event" cards for players that didn't take up the game until WW times
> [obviously, if you don't expect any, this would be pointless].
>
> If you'd prefer to put the complete set up for grabs for a tournament
> winner, a "lousy deck format" might be an idea that gives everyone the
> same (lousy) chances... ban any cards you consider too good (no Governs
> for once), and put card limits on everything else... maybe make the
> inclusion of a set number of "useless" cards mandatory. If you do that,
> use Shaun McIsaac's list modified as suits your fancy; don't insist on x
> copies of the same card (8 Patagias aren't all that easy to get), just
> insist on something like 10-20% of the deck being cards from the list.
> [If you're expecting players that didn't take up VTES until WW times,
> you'd have to allow them to use proxies for this purpose... if you didn't,
> your tournament would be biased against Sabbat clans since a large
> fraction of the "useless cards" these players have easy access too are
> Sabbat clan hosers, particularly the four starter-fixed ones.]
>
> The "lousy deck format" could even be combined with the bizarre deck
> auction to make things more, uh, bizarre... but I guess that would be a
> logistical nightmare.
>
> Thomas

0 nouveau message