Q LSJ: Semantics, Wake Cards

Sten During

Jan 28, 2008, 6:55:44 PM1/28/08
I can't find the post in the USENET News groups where Wake Cards
are defined, so I may be incorrect.

If a Wake Card is defined as a Reaction Card played by a tapped
Vampire allowing it to block and play Reaction Cards as if
untapped, then two peculiar things happen.

1) On the Qui Vive is NOT a Wake Card if played by an Ally.

2) Fillip is never a Wake Card.

What is the current definition of a Wake Card?
Could we please have that definition added to the Rulings
section of the WW web site?

Sten During

LSJ

Jan 30, 2008, 7:57:35 AM1/30/08
Sten During wrote:
> I can't find the post in the USENET News groups where Wake Cards
> are defined, so I may be incorrect.
>
> If a Wake Card is defined as a Reaction Card played by a tapped
> Vampire allowing it to block and play Reaction Cards as if
> untapped, then two peculiar things happen.
>
> 1) On the Qui Vive is NOT a Wake Card if played by an Ally.
>
> 2) Fillip is never a Wake Card.
>
> What is the current definition of a Wake Card?
> Could we please have that definition added to the Rulings
> section of the WW web site?

It's already there, at least to the extent that it matters at all:

"("may play reaction cards" effects...)"

On the Qui Vive's effect qualifies ("This reacting minion can play reaction
cards...")

Fillip's effect similarly ("The chosen vampire can play reaction cards...")

devil_in_the_p...@yahoo.com

Jan 30, 2008, 8:03:05 AM1/30/08
At least for my part, a "Wake" card is just a vtes slang meaning more
or less what you've said. Though replacing Vampire with minion.

I would still count Fillip and On the Qui Vive at allyferior as a
"wake" card.

You'll probably never see "wake" card in the offical rulings.

Sten During

Jan 30, 2008, 8:19:55 AM1/30/08

Where do I find it? I've searched the Rulings section.

Basically this ties in with "wake cards" being played "as card is
played", which is one reason why a clear definition on what
constitutes a "wake card" should be available on the WW-site
together with the clause that they are playable "as card is
played". A "wake card" is, for example, playable after combat
without any supporting text on the cards for being playable
at that time, and there are the wake and play "counterspells"
cards (Rewind Time and its brethrens" possibilities.

Peter D Bakija

Jan 30, 2008, 8:24:38 AM1/30/08
On Jan 28, 6:55 pm, Sten During <ya...@netg.se> wrote:
> I can't find the post in the USENET News groups where Wake Cards
> are defined, so I may be incorrect.

Why is it neccessary to define a "Wake" card? There are a bunch of
reaction cards that allow a tapped vampire to block and play reaction
cards as if untapped that often are referred to as "Wake" cards, just
as a slang term (as Wake With Evening's Freshness was the first one in
circulation, and it is easier to just say "I want to include a bunch
of Wake cards" than it is to say "I want to include a bunch of cards
that allow tapped vampires to block and play reaction cards as if
untapped, such as Wake With Evening's Freshness, Forced Awakening, or
On the Qui Vive..."). I'm pretty sure, however, that in reality, "Wake
Cards" are not something defined by the rules.

> 1) On the Qui Vive is NOT a Wake Card if played by an Ally.
>
> 2) Fillip is never a Wake Card.

I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to figure out here.

> What is the current definition of a Wake Card?

Why is it important that a Wake Card be defined? Like, I'm not trying
to be argumentitve here--I'm just trying to figure out what you are
trying to figure out.

> Could we please have that definition added to the Rulings
> section of the WW web site?

What will that do?

-Peter

LSJ

Jan 30, 2008, 8:24:10 AM1/30/08
Sten During wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>> Sten During wrote:
>>> I can't find the post in the USENET News groups where Wake Cards
>>> are defined, so I may be incorrect.
>>>
>>> If a Wake Card is defined as a Reaction Card played by a tapped
>>> Vampire allowing it to block and play Reaction Cards as if
>>> untapped, then two peculiar things happen.
>>>
>>> 1) On the Qui Vive is NOT a Wake Card if played by an Ally.
>>>
>>> 2) Fillip is never a Wake Card.
>>>
>>> What is the current definition of a Wake Card?
>>> Could we please have that definition added to the Rulings
>>> section of the WW web site?
>> It's already there, at least to the extent that it matters at all:
>>
>> "("may play reaction cards" effects...)"
>>
>> On the Qui Vive's effect qualifies ("This reacting minion can play
>> reaction cards...")
>>
>> Fillip's effect similarly ("The chosen vampire can play reaction cards...")
>
> Where do I find it? I've searched the Rulings section.

Use your browser's search function to search for the text quoted above:

("may play reaction cards" effects

I found it initially by searching for "wake".

> Basically this ties in with "wake cards" being played "as card is
> played", which is one reason why a clear definition on what
> constitutes a "wake card" should be available on the WW-site
> together with the clause that they are playable "as card is
> played".

Yes. That's where the "definition" is given: under the ruling on what exactly
the "as played" window comprises and allows.

LSJ

Jan 30, 2008, 8:44:10 AM1/30/08
Peter D Bakija wrote:
> Why is it important that a Wake Card be defined? Like, I'm not trying
> to be argumentitve here--I'm just trying to figure out what you are
> trying to figure out.

It is interesting for the following ruling:

Q: Can a tapped vampire respond to another player's card play with a wake-style
card and Rewind Time to cancel that card?

A: Yes. Wake-style cards (defined as cards that say that some minion "may play
reaction cards") are playable in the "as played" window.

Sten During

Jan 30, 2008, 9:16:22 AM1/30/08

>> Where do I find it? I've searched the Rulings section.
>
> Use your browser's search function to search for the text quoted above:
>
> ("may play reaction cards" effects
>
> I found it initially by searching for "wake".
>
>> Basically this ties in with "wake cards" being played "as card is
>> played", which is one reason why a clear definition on what
>> constitutes a "wake card" should be available on the WW-site
>> together with the clause that they are playable "as card is
>> played".
>
> Yes. That's where the "definition" is given: under the ruling on what
> exactly the "as played" window comprises and allows.
>
>> A "wake card" is, for example, playable after combat
>> without any supporting text on the cards for being playable
>> at that time, and there are the wake and play "counterspells"
>> cards (Rewind Time and its brethrens" possibilities.

Ah, thanks, found it.

Just a detail then. Previously you have ruled that wake cards had to be
Reaction Cards, but with the current wording both Helena and Aye
produce wake effects. (Agreeably more a corner case effect in the
case of Helena, but I could see a True Brujah using this with a
reversal of the previous ruling)

Peter D Bakija

Jan 30, 2008, 9:43:15 AM1/30/08
On Jan 30, 8:44 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> It is interesting for the following ruling:
>
> Q: Can a tapped vampire respond to another player's card play with a wake-style
> card and Rewind Time to cancel that card?
>
> A: Yes. Wake-style cards (defined as cards that say that some minion "may play
> reaction cards") are playable in the "as played" window.

Oh, ok. Cool. Thanks!

-Peter