LSJ: The Oath on someone else's Taste of Vitae?

OldFan

Jul 5, 2010, 12:14:52 AM7/5/10
So - I did Google-fu on the web site and really didn't find a clear
cut answer.

Which may be because it's a dumb question, but here goes anyways:

"Dear LSJ,
Meth A and Meth B both have vampires in combat. One (or both)
of the vampires play Taste of Vitae. Can I, as Meth C, play The Oath
as a reaction card to put an oath counter on one of those 2 vampires,
neither of which I control?

Sincerely, gamer on crack in Ithaca, NY"

My thinking being - the text on the Oath doesn't specify that Taste of
Vitae must be played against one of your vampires (unlike the blood
theft, which expressly DOES specify that).

As a plain red/combat card, The Oath wouldn't have to do so - you only
play red cards during your own vampires' combats (with a few
exceptions that say so in their text box).

But being playable as a reaction means that lack of text (along with
the "or" that separates the taste of vitae from "steals blood from
this vampire") has the "play as written/PaW" side of my gamer brain
wondering. But that could be the crack talking....

The Oath
combat
reaction

Play when a vampire gains blood from a Taste of Vitae or steals blood
from this vampire. Put an oath counter on that vampire. This vampire
may put another oath counter on that vampire as a (D) action. A
vampire with 2 oath counters from this vampire cannot block or enter
combat with this vampire. A vampire can play only one Oath each round.

The Lasombra

Jul 5, 2010, 1:54:29 AM7/5/10
On Sun, 4 July 2010 21:14:52 -0700 (PDT), OldFan wrote:

>So - I did Google-fu on the web site and really didn't find a clear
>cut answer.

Card text is pretty clear from here.
Blood must be tasted or stolen from the vampire playing the card.

> Meth A and Meth B both have vampires in combat. One (or both)
>of the vampires play Taste of Vitae. Can I, as Meth C, play The Oath
>as a reaction card to put an oath counter on one of those 2 vampires,
>neither of which I control?

No.
Card text of first sentence of the card.

>The Oath
>combat
>reaction
>Play when a vampire gains blood from a Taste of Vitae or steals blood

>from THIS VAMPIRE. Put an oath counter on that vampire. This vampire

Haze

Jul 5, 2010, 2:06:33 AM7/5/10

ah, I see what you're trying to do here. I think you might be right,
they're two different conditions, and taste of vitae isn't played
"from" a vampire. however, even if that's true...

rulebook states you can not play any minion cards other than combat
cards during a combat, unless card text says otherwise. so just like
"power of all" you can never play The Oath as a reaction during
combat. too bad.

LSJ

Jul 5, 2010, 9:57:20 AM7/5/10
On Jul 5, 2:06 am, Haze <headlessr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> rulebook states you can not play any minion cards other than combat
> cards during a combat, unless card text says otherwise. so just like
> "power of all" you can never play The Oath as a reaction during
> combat. too bad.

Correct.

Taste, being playable only in combat, means that The Oath would be
played in combat (and could thus only be played by a combatant).

Stealing blood may occur in combat (allowing The Oath to be played as
a combat card) or outside of combat (allowing The Oath to be played as
a reaction).

OldFan

Jul 5, 2010, 10:59:55 AM7/5/10

Thanks for the answers gentlemen - that's all I needed to know!

(picks up pile of The Oath, and puts them back in the box of "these
are useless cards")

*whistling* :