Mukhtar vs the Hell Hound

salem

Dec 24, 2004, 10:25:40 PM12/24/04
No, this subject line does not relate to some new anime movie about to
hit cinemas near you. :)

I remember a thread about Mukhtar Bey and his burning. Bascially if
there are 6 Gehenna cards in play, there are also 5 in play, and thus
Mukhtar will burn if there are 5 or more in play.

If i recall correctly, LSJ said this in response to Miller's response
to Daneel:

****
>>If there are six Gehenna cards in play, there are five as well(plus
>> one). In fact, Mukhtar doesn't want to say "exactly" five, but "at
>> least" five, imho.

Correct.

> Well, the current wording does not even hint at any sort of "at least"
> clause.

Yes, it does, as Miller pointed out.

****

Now, most recent printing of Hell Hound has this text:
"If the Hellhound has 1 life during your untap phase, it gains 1 life
from the blood bank."

compare with Mukhtar's text:
"If there are five Gehenna cards in play during your untap phase, burn
Mukhtar."

So, call me a silly billy, but does that mean that the Hellhound is
going to get 1 life every untap as long as it's not dead?
If so, this is a great minor power up for an otherwise slightly
underpowered ally. Good work, folks. It almost slipped by unnoticed,
too.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

jeff_kuta

Dec 24, 2004, 10:35:57 PM12/24/04

I'll take a stab at it. Gehenna cards are discrete. That is, you can
actually count individual Gehenna cards as they lie on the table. They
are played one at a time. They are dealt with individually in terms of
when they might be burned or when they are replaced. However, they may
also be counted colletively when determining whether certain other
Gehenna cards may be played.

Life however, is a single attribute, measured only collectively by
number of life points. An individual ally cannot have both 1 life and 2
life simultaneously, likewise with blood for vampires. If we were to
consider that an 11-cap vampire had also "less than 4 blood" by this
logic, any vampire could be Harassed at any time.
Logical? Maybe. ;)

Jeff

LSJ

Dec 25, 2004, 12:57:30 PM12/25/04
salem wrote:
> So, call me a silly billy, but does that mean that the Hellhound is
> going to get 1 life every untap as long as it's not dead?

No. It would, if it weren't corrected already.
See the online card text.

Silly Billy. :-)

> If so, this is a great minor power up for an otherwise slightly
> underpowered ally. Good work, folks. It almost slipped by unnoticed,
> too.

The functional changes have been listed already. This isn't among
them.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

salem

Dec 25, 2004, 9:49:20 PM12/25/04
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:57:30 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>salem wrote:
>> So, call me a silly billy, but does that mean that the Hellhound is
>> going to get 1 life every untap as long as it's not dead?
>
>No. It would, if it weren't corrected already.
>See the online card text.
>
>Silly Billy. :-)

ah, wtf? it looks like the card list linked to from the _old_ easy to
use and nice looking WW site is different to the 'new' one. why can't
the links point to the same list? geeez.

now it'll take me a few minutes to _find_ the stinking list on the new
site...

oh you're kidding me.
"What is VTES" -> Expansions -> card texts

i wasn't looking for stuff about expansions, i just wanted a full card
list.

why god why?!

so....enough about my ww website bitching...

...and i guess the plain txt card lists take a while longer to get
updated? hell hound is still two words there, and gains a 'second'
life if it has one.

>> If so, this is a great minor power up for an otherwise slightly
>> underpowered ally. Good work, folks. It almost slipped by unnoticed,
>> too.
>
>The functional changes have been listed already. This isn't among
>them.

*grumble*bitch*moan*should have been one*

Kevin M.

Dec 26, 2004, 2:30:29 PM12/26/04
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> salem wrote:
>> So, call me a silly billy, but does that mean that the Hellhound is
>> going to get 1 life every untap as long as it's not dead?
>
> No. It would, if it weren't corrected already.
> See the online card text.
>
> Silly Billy. :-)

Scott, you've gotta be kidding me if you believe that going to the online
HTML card text on the new website is user-friendly at any level. :)

Is there ANY chance that we're going to get an HTML card list which is
ONLY the card list, and not all that useless garbage on the sides of the
card list?

> LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
> Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Kevin M., Prince of Henderson, NV (USA)
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

LSJ

Dec 27, 2004, 8:46:06 AM12/27/04
Kevin M. wrote:
> Is there ANY chance that we're going to get an HTML card list which is
> ONLY the card list, and not all that useless garbage on the sides of the
> card list?

There's the plain text version, which is what you're looking
for. You don't need HTML if you want ONLY the card list without
the other stuff.

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

Dec 27, 2004, 1:27:48 PM12/27/04
> > Is there ANY chance that we're going to get an HTML card list which is
> > ONLY the card list, and not all that useless garbage on the sides of the
> > card list?
>
> There's the plain text version, which is what you're looking
> for. You don't need HTML if you want ONLY the card list without
> the other stuff.

This is the only link I could find for the plaintext version. I suggest
you bookmark it because I doubt White-Wolf's gonna make the URL any easier
on us.

http://download.white-wolf.com/download/download.php?file_id=128

Charles Lechasseur

Dec 27, 2004, 5:49:18 PM12/27/04
In article <ymUzd.37587$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
<vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>There's the plain text version, which is what you're looking
>for. You don't need HTML if you want ONLY the card list without
>the other stuff.

However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
website)?

--
charles lechasseur - da...@novideospamtron.ca

Stefan Ferenci

Dec 27, 2004, 5:51:38 PM12/27/04
Charles Lechasseur wrote:
> In article <ymUzd.37587$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
> <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>

>>There's the plain text version, which is what you're looking
>>for. You don't need HTML if you want ONLY the card list without
>>the other stuff.
>

> However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
> updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
> website)?

test

salem

Dec 27, 2004, 9:24:06 PM12/27/04
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:49:18 -0500, da...@novideospamtron.ca (Charles
Lechasseur) scrawled:

>In article <ymUzd.37587$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
><vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
>>There's the plain text version, which is what you're looking
>>for. You don't need HTML if you want ONLY the card list without
>>the other stuff.
>
>However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
>updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
>website)?

for those that are interested, i opened the WW html list, 'save as'
text file, then opened the text file in notepad, snipped all the html
junk off the top and bottom, and got me an up to date txt file. a lot
of work for something that should already be easily available.

it comes out looking a little like this:

****

.44 Magnum [Jyhad:C, VTES:C, Sabbat:C, SW:PB, CE:PTo3]
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 2 pool

*Weapon, Gun.*
2R damage each strike, with an optional maneuver each combat.

Aabbt Kindred [FN:U2]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Follower of Set
Group: 2
Capacity: 4
Discipline: for pre ser

*Independent:* Aabbt Kindred cannot perform (D) actions unless
Nefertiti
is ready. Aabbt Kindred can prevent 1 damage each combat. Aabbt
Kindred
are not unique and do not contest.

Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady [Sabbat:V, SW:U]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Lasombra
Group: 2
Capacity: 2
Discipline: obt

*Sabbat*

Aaron's Feeding Razor [Jyhad:R, VTES:R, CE:R]
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 1 pool

*Unique equipment.*
If the vampire with this equipment successfully hunts, he or she gains
1
additional blood.

Abandoning the Flesh [CE:R]
Cardtype: Reaction/Combat
Discipline: Dementation

*Only usable by a vampire being burned.*
[dem] Remove this vampire from the game instead (diablerie, if any, is
still successful), and put this card into play. You may not play this
card if you already have an Abandoning the Flesh in play. You may tap
this card when a vampire with Dementation is bleeding to give that
vampire +1 bleed for the current action.

****

etc.

LSJ

Dec 28, 2004, 7:40:46 AM12/28/04
Charles Lechasseur wrote:
> However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
> updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
> website)?

Because I don't control the Download section of the VTES, while I
do control the other sections (the things that start with vtes/index.php).
So synchronization is not as automatic there.

I have updated the plain text version under the "Old VTES site", however.

salem

Dec 28, 2004, 8:40:31 AM12/28/04
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:40:46 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>Charles Lechasseur wrote:
>> However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
>> updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
>> website)?
>
>Because I don't control the Download section of the VTES, while I
>do control the other sections (the things that start with vtes/index.php).
>So synchronization is not as automatic there.
>
>I have updated the plain text version under the "Old VTES site", however.

heh, yet _another_ reason to prefer the old site! ;)

Charles Lechasseur

Dec 28, 2004, 11:34:25 AM12/28/04
In article <ivcAd.41003$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
<vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>Charles Lechasseur wrote:
>> However, the plain text version is currently out-of-date. Why is it not
>> updated at the same time as the HTML version (as it was before on the old
>> website)?
>
>Because I don't control the Download section of the VTES, while I
>do control the other sections (the things that start with vtes/index.php).
>So synchronization is not as automatic there.

Fair enough. So, I have a suggestion: move the non-HTML versions of the
card lists to another section than the Download section, maybe back in the
VTES section, so that all versions of the card lists can be updated
simultaneously (and be easier to find).

>I have updated the plain text version under the "Old VTES site", however.

Thanks. That's good to know. Will be you doing so for the foreseeable
future, so that one considers the plain text cardlist on the old site a
valid, up-to-date source of info? That would be great, because I, for one,
always prefer to look at plain text card lists.

LSJ

Dec 28, 2004, 1:47:09 PM12/28/04
Charles Lechasseur wrote:
> Fair enough. So, I have a suggestion: move the non-HTML versions of the
> card lists to another section than the Download section, maybe back in the
> VTES section, so that all versions of the card lists can be updated
> simultaneously (and be easier to find).

Probably not. The downloads section is set up to make tracking
things like the number of downloads easier. Moving or mirroring
that would defeat that.

Charles Lechasseur

Dec 28, 2004, 8:11:42 PM12/28/04
In article <NShAd.41989$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
<vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>Charles Lechasseur wrote:
>> Fair enough. So, I have a suggestion: move the non-HTML versions of the
>> card lists to another section than the Download section, maybe back in the
>> VTES section, so that all versions of the card lists can be updated
>> simultaneously (and be easier to find).
>
>Probably not. The downloads section is set up to make tracking
>things like the number of downloads easier. Moving or mirroring
>that would defeat that.

But why is it important for you to know the number of downloads for the
non-HTML card lists? Especially since the HTML card list cannot be easily
tracked that way (not being in the downloads section) and so you cannot
easily know how many downloads of the card lists were made?

I'm not really complaining about the existence of a downloads section, by
the way. I think that section is OK. I only want to have an up-to-date
plain text version of the card list when I visit the WW website. If the
plain text version found in the downloads section was up-to-date, I would
be perfectly happy too.

LSJ

Dec 29, 2004, 7:39:17 AM12/29/04
Charles Lechasseur wrote:
> In article <NShAd.41989$uM5....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, LSJ
> <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>>Probably not. The downloads section is set up to make tracking
>>things like the number of downloads easier. Moving or mirroring
>>that would defeat that.
>
> But why is it important for you to know the number of downloads for the
> non-HTML card lists? Especially since the HTML card list cannot be easily
> tracked that way (not being in the downloads section) and so you cannot
> easily know how many downloads of the card lists were made?

That is unknown to me, sorry. I just follow the templates laid out.

> I'm not really complaining about the existence of a downloads section, by
> the way. I think that section is OK. I only want to have an up-to-date
> plain text version of the card list when I visit the WW website. If the
> plain text version found in the downloads section was up-to-date, I would
> be perfectly happy too.

As would I. :-)