Rules question

Ankur Gupta

Aug 13, 2004, 8:58:00 AM8/13/04
An odd odd situation turned up yesterday, and I couldn't find an answer in
Google.

Marijava Thuggee wishes to damage a minion with a Chanjelin Ward as an
action. Can it, since they don't have the blood to pay for the action? Or
can they lose a life to do it?

Thanks,

Ankur
Head Ostrich of Lafayette, IN

Izaak

Aug 13, 2004, 9:13:02 AM8/13/04

"Ankur Gupta" <agu...@cs.duke.edu> schreef in bericht

> An odd odd situation turned up yesterday, and I couldn't find an
answer in
> Google.
>
> Marijava Thuggee wishes to damage a minion with a Chanjelin Ward as an
> action. Can it, since they don't have the blood to pay for the action?
Or
> can they lose a life to do it?

It loses a life.

LSJ

Aug 13, 2004, 9:22:45 AM8/13/04
"Ankur Gupta" <agu...@cs.duke.edu> wrote in message news:Pine.GSO.4.60.04...@peso.cs.duke.edu...

> An odd odd situation turned up yesterday, and I couldn't find an answer in
> Google.
>
> Marijava Thuggee wishes to damage a minion with a Chanjelin Ward as an
> action. Can it, since they don't have the blood to pay for the action? Or
> can they lose a life to do it?

He cannot, since he cannot pay the cost. Allies have no blood, so cannot
pay blood cost (unless card text says otherwise -- like Thuggee's card
text would allow him to pay the blood cost of an Obfuscate card with his
life. The Thuggee could play Blackmail on the Warded vampire, for instance,
and pay 1 life to handle the cost. But his inherent "inflict 1 damage"
ability is not a card that requires Obfuscate, so doesn't qualify for the
life-paid-as-blood feature of playing Obfuscate cards).

V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

Ankur Gupta

Aug 13, 2004, 10:22:35 AM8/13/04
> He cannot, since he cannot pay the cost. Allies have no blood, so cannot
> pay blood cost (unless card text says otherwise -- like Thuggee's card
> text would allow him to pay the blood cost of an Obfuscate card with his
> life. The Thuggee could play Blackmail on the Warded vampire, for instance,
> and pay 1 life to handle the cost. But his inherent "inflict 1 damage"
> ability is not a card that requires Obfuscate, so doesn't qualify for the
> life-paid-as-blood feature of playing Obfuscate cards).

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Izaak

Aug 13, 2004, 1:45:23 PM8/13/04

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> schreef in bericht

> "Ankur Gupta" <agu...@cs.duke.edu> wrote in message
> > An odd odd situation turned up yesterday, and I couldn't find an
answer in
> > Google.
> >
> > Marijava Thuggee wishes to damage a minion with a Chanjelin Ward as
an
> > action. Can it, since they don't have the blood to pay for the
action? Or
> > can they lose a life to do it?
>

> He cannot, since he cannot pay the cost. Allies have no blood, so
cannot
> pay blood cost (unless card text says otherwise -- like Thuggee's card
> text would allow him to pay the blood cost of an Obfuscate card with
his
> life. The Thuggee could play Blackmail on the Warded vampire, for
instance,
> and pay 1 life to handle the cost. But his inherent "inflict 1 damage"
> ability is not a card that requires Obfuscate, so doesn't qualify for
the
> life-paid-as-blood feature of playing Obfuscate cards).

So I was wrong, again :-)

Funny how you keep learning new things even after so many years of play
=)